Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
oh my lord, this game is gonna be a mess and I am gonna buy a little hand carved wooden sign that says "bless this mess" on it and hang it off of the game with a folksy piece of twine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Of course Diehardman is no other than motherfucking Big Boss.

Should be Bruce Willis imo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

He named a character Die Hardman in 2019 and I can respect that.

Sometimes when I’m feeling blue during the day I whisper “die hardman” to myself over and over again... and it does nothing for the depression but I have ocd and so must.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

friendly 2 da void posted:

uh, did you completely miss all of the "Keanu Reeves won E3" gushing?

many, many people give a poo poo

Keanu is huge tho. Everyone- the internet especially- likes him as a human being and a signifier of goodness, not just as an actor. That was a masterstroke on CD Projekt's part, getting him involved.

Guys like Reedus or Mikkelson, on the other hand, are actors associated with well liked projects. From a cultural perspective they are in no way comparable to ol Reeves.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"a signifier of goodness"?

he's mopey and gave people motorcycles once. practically a saint.

but seriously, he's enjoying elevated cachet at the moment.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

On the other hand, Cyberpunk will merely be good, while Death Stranding will be memorably odd.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Or when Hitman gave me the opportunity to assassinate Sean Bean and guess what? I don’t wanna assassinate Sean Bean.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I liked the music for his level but the Dr Wily’s stage is better overall.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Confirmed for Slowdive fan, eff yeah

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

There’s no exclusive good enough to cast the deciding vote between a slim or a pro. I own a pro and it’s great but just get a slim if you’re getting a ps4 for exclusives.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

You should get a ps4 for bloodborne at the very least

ps4 is a Bloodborne machine for a lot of people for a really good reason. There's a nice pile of other good exclusives, but Bloodborne is currently the best game on the system, easy.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I made a personal vow to finish everything I ever bought but only played a little of before buying something new, like an idiot a few months before this releases. Assassin's Creed Odyssey alone has more or less damned me to play Death Stranding on a PS5 Classic with my children and grandchildren gathered around, begging me to put down the controller and say something nice to them before I pass.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

my children and grandchildren

Oh all right, body pillows.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I think the Hue sync box thingy would go really good with this. But then again, it’d go good with most games.

Someone give me $250.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Sounds to me like people think reading about the game is same as actually playing it.

I want to know what these predicted Sekiro's metacritic score as because it has no Souls RPG or online features and therefore it must be bad because it's clearly a lesser game.

Imo it was a lesser game.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

And it's fine to think that way but predicting metacritic score based on someone else's experience or reading a list of features is insane.

No, that is crazy but Sekiro not being Bloodborne 2 broke me like 9/11 broke Dennis Miller tho, so I am driven to comment that it is not as good as Dark Souls.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, this. It looks like gloriously high concept, no suits around to say no, goofy creativity, but skeleton soldiers and talking about dvds with a guy that continually gets sent to the phantom zone does not make my Bloodborne look tame.

I know my Bloodborne.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I was definitely exaggerating to make a point that game is indeed weird as gently caress.

Well you did a really bad job, Walther. >:/

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Isn't Norm McDonald a piece of poo poo who went real weird and racist/just let it slip in public more? I remember him being a piece of poo poo.

He is a comedian, yes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oof, the bit about trying to keep your balance while moving over uneven terrain sounds both aggravating and central to the core gameplay loop. The Dark Souls of getting really lost and walking home drunk.

Probably gonna be a $29 purchase. One of those ones where I spend a year listening to gamers complain about it online before I buy it on sale, then feel holier than thou for not being pissed off.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Truck Driving Simulators exist, so there is clearly a market of people who want to long-haul journey cargo with little to no human interaction.

So long as they allow you to walk around naked and there’s a meticulously rendered system for digging holes this should blow up in the German market.

The nudity is for certain, because it’s Kojima. The hole digging... well, it’s Kojima.
—-
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I need a gameplay demo. Rdr3 was supposed to have aggravating controls, but I loved them and thought they added a certain feel to the game, steering my cowboy tank to his horse so he could look in his inventory, etc. On the other hand, when I was slowly ambling through the beautiful scenery, taking it all in, I didn’t tip sideways down a hill because I forgot to manually control my center of balance. If I could just get an hour of no spoiler tutorial gameplay I might change it back to a day one purchase.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

gameplay loop is the worst new gaming word to spring up this year.

I see someone doesn’t have platinum gamer status and so doesn’t have access to the Gamer Word 2.0 beta.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

At some point it becomes a question of why they're even in the game, then. I asked that question every time I came across the occasional "boss fights" (the skulls and metal gear) in MGSV that pretty much throw all the mechanics and weapon/items you've gotten good with out the window and suddenly make you play a different (much worse) game.

The Skulls fights were cool tho

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The more I think about the mechanics that sound bad, the more I feel like I have to spend sixty dollars to experience how bad they are immediately, then find myself falling in love with them and then defend them with too many dumb words online.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Idk I always enjoyed them. The metal gear fight was awful though. Would much rather have watched a movie about it, because it looked phenomenal.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

JBP posted:

45 hours of walking sim and ten hours of cutscenes

Additionally, the cutscenes are 2 hours of plot, 8 hours of Kojima's celebrity bffs discussing their favorite books, music, video games and movies*.

*I do not know this for certain, and yet, I do.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

freebooter posted:

I'm all for walking across beautiful landscapes but every image I've seen of this game basically looks like an Icelandic plain. Which is beautiful, sure, but a bit samey.

Maybe the big reveal is that "america" is actually the terraformed moon.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Is there something wrong with the term "gameplay loop" all of a sudden?

Goon psychology 101. People are using it to make discussion convenient and goons project onto that that they’re being pretentious, over correct and some time later it will be an argument about pizza.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

looking forward to three months from now, where 90% of the thread is like “remember when we got the brain chillblains because a video game wasn’t as good as we hoped?” and the remaining 10% go on to form a Death Stranding based Anarcho Freudian cult that subsists on a thin gruel of perplexed reactions to their weird poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

There are so many cooler ways to make yourself temporarily psychotic with $60. But dammit, I already have the PlayStation.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

There are so many cooler ways to make yourself temporarily psychotic with $60. But dammit, I already have the PlayStation.

Also drug dealers tend to think I’m clingy.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

1:Hello, Guy Delivery Thingsman, I’m the director of this community. They call me... Video Gamer. Have you brought our insulin?

2: *grunt*

1: Ah! I have a nostalgic feeling talking with you. I think we shall be great friends. Please, come inside and let us discuss our favorite books and movies!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WatermelonGun posted:

no way that dude reads

They make books about video games you ding dong, get on my level if you wanna offer notes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People hate on things they don’t have the capacity to understand.

drat, Goobusters, your posts must be some high level poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Xarbala posted:

That's the joke

drat, Xarbala, etc

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I’m gonna play Death Stranding when i get home from Ohio tonight so that I can discover if my negativity has been a joke or sage wisdom.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Been playing for a bit and it's fine. Graphics are nice, drunkenly stumbling around in a green field with a screaming baby under grey skies really approximates what I imagine being in the apocalypse\an Irish mother is like. Nothing really strikes me as especially good yet, but I'm not angry either.

Also, this is def not the Tarkovsky of video games; this is the high concept\low brow Hollywood movie of video games. It's got McConaughey's Serenity levels of a stupid writer thinking they're clever oozing off of it... which is a plus, mind.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ok so I’m trapped in the inventory screen. Sat down to rest with a ton of crap, went to see if I could change my boots and now I ca get out of the screen. Pressing buttons makes noises but that’s about it. Anyone experience this?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ok so I’m trapped in the inventory screen. Sat down to rest with a ton of crap, went to see if I could change my boots and now I ca get out of the screen. Pressing buttons makes noises but that’s about it. Anyone experience this?

Had to quit the game and come back. Luckily it auto saves when you rest, otherwise I would have been pisssssssed. Game is growing on me overall, which adds it to the pantheon of titles I initially go into thinking are slogs then grow to love, except, this still is a slog but I love it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

- I hate the menu poo poo. But I hate ALL menu poo poo. Even really slim-line menu poo poo like Dead Space.

I'm a little ahead of you and also hated the menus & am now at the stage where they still bring me no pleasure, but I'm navigating them unconsciously enough that they don't bother me either.
---
This is like Days Gone in the way that I started out being extremely disappointed in what I thought was a dreary piece of nothing, but now I'm really liking pretty much all of it. Also, everyone who is generating an opinion based on YouTube videos, don't. It's a walking simulator with several Bop Its worth of random fiddly things to do glued onto it and there's no way to visually communicate the pleasure it elicits.