Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Borderlands is an awful game despite everyone sucking it off the whole time and I will fight anyone on this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah it’s fun actually

:wrong:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Mads always looks so loving confused when he's around Kojima lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

What was the first rope game, was it Pitfall

Custer's revenge

'a rope to keep the goodness close to you' isn't a great phrase in the context of early human societies lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I actually love the idea of death stranding having big open stretches of wilderness, given the footage released so far it seems like it could make for a cool environmental semi-puzzle as you try to cross the landscape in creative ways. It could be combined with survival aspects which I personally enjoy (though I know it's not everyone's bag).

Also, if the creatures - whatever they are - are actually quite rare in the wild and you never know when or if you'll stumble into them it would be great for maintaining tension.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I mean mgsv was good gameplay wise but easily the weakest plot in the series and totally failed to live up to the hype and I KNOW much of that was konami's fault but I can't help feeling a little wary about DS

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

JBP posted:

I actually like the plot end to end, it just falls to poo poo because of the game's structure and missing the final mission. Big Boss's plan laid out is cool and it would have been a lot more fun in a MGS3 kind of game with major installations or scenarios tied together with what is now de jour Dark Souls interconnected areas and branching pathways of open space. It's a real shame because I read that Kojima envisioned you sneaking through a Russian armoured column in the open world and it just never eventuated for many reasons.

Yeah that's fair tbh. I was having a great time until chapter 2, but that was just so disappointing. What plot there was wasn't bad and had some standout moments (shining lights, even in death was incredible), but it just felt very sparse and thrown together. I was annoyed at the lack of grey fox/paramedic given they were supposed to be in the area at that time (or any returning characters really). Ocelot seems to just be there too, and they do basically nothing with him.

I also much prefer just having a full coherent plot rather than this bitesize 'pick a mission' stuff in phantom pain and peace walker, especially when lots of them and up as copy pasted versions with increased difficulty. It totally fucks the pacing.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 21, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

i am going to play so much videogame

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Hm funny though this is I think it'll hurt the atmosphere if literally every other npc is one of Kojima's celebrity pals

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ZZZorcerer posted:

Didn’t some Japanese dev had some idea of using the same characters in different games like they’re actors ?

That is such a terrible idea lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

This looks like a sim tycoon game meets mgsv meets contemplative environmental puzzle solving meets trucking sim meets bloodborne and I'm extremely on board with all of that

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the timefall rots everything you build so i hope those twenty dudes keep up with their infrastructure

While this is true there will definitely be some spergs who will work together to maintain entire infrastructures, and I wonder how they'll reconcile the mechanic with the need to invoke a lonely atmosphere once there are millions of user created outposts and roads everywhere

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ymgve posted:

probably gonna be like "max 100 user created items gets pulled into the zone of your game" like dark souls messages, so even if every single square inch of the game has been modified by someone, you won't see all of that

Makes sense but no idea how you'd manage this with roads if they're built segment by segment

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

As long as the plot is actually finished this time

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I shot an idiot in the head and left the body to see what happens but it's been ages and it seems to just be sat on my map doing nothing. What are the actual consequences here?

E: also I've just reunited mama with her sister and first lol why did she die she seemed fine on the way over, and second can I feasibly finish this by Friday

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 3, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Do roads actually deteriorate and vanish in a timescale that matters because gently caress me if I'm constantly going round the network repairing them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Just finished. Fun but extremely flawed, some cool ideas but as a game?... Not sure. Still think Kojima peaked with MGS3, and this move to open world has cost him some of the tight narrative control that was such a strength in his earlier work (I had the same criticism of phantom pain). DS's pacing is all over the place, and the delivery mechanics didn't lend themselves well to the combat sections.

Very big ending spoilers:

So Sam is MM's BB, cool. What is the BB you're carrying around then? Are there lots all about the place? It kind of implied that you were taking one to edge knot and that each city needs one for the network to function, so Sam's cool with that? Seems to contradict the ending where Lou is freed. I don't know, fun plot but messy.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Seriously troubling loli vibes in that bit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Have to admit that after finishing this I don't really have much desire to keep going for completion, idk. Certainly didn't hold my attention like metal gear did.