Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

tuo posted:

First leaks from journalists seem to indicate that - indeed - Kojima-san can take my heart and hold it together until gaming falls apart

e: also not much to talk about. An unsourced portuguese journalist who says it's a masterpiece and one of the best games ever made, but not for everyone. As a fan of RDR2 and MGS, I'm really looking forward to it

Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb has hinted that he's absolutely not enjoying it, but also he ended up really hating RDR2, so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Adaptabullshit posted:

What has he brought up? Spoiler where appropriate, please.

Nothing specific (since it's still embargoed) he's just said things like a certain game that he's playing has made him retroactively have more appreciation for RDR2, that he's basically already stopped playing it because life is too short to play things you don't enjoy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

redreader posted:

I looked at his twitter and didn't see anything. Did he not like Metal Gear Solid games? (I don't know who he is apart from 'giant bomb' which I don't know)

He loved Metal Gear Solid, but mostly for the action movie stuff and not so much the.. politics.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Have you considered that he may be disingenuous.

I mean, that's possible, but I don't really think it's likely.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol all the negative impressions leakers have done a full 180 and now think its a masterpiece. sure theres some virtue in there somewhere. not sure about this dan fellow however but i guess november 1st isnt too far away.

Doesn't that track with what Kojima said? I guess he was spot on.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Are the Monster cans paid product placement or did Kojima have a Monster at some point and decide to put them there as some sort of meta commentary?

I find both scenarios equally likely.

This is not the first time Kojima has done product placement and I'm not sure it's ever been paid.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

his nibs posted:

I hear that Death Stranding is a bit poo poo/overly complex, but it gets more credit than it should because ~Kojima~

Yes or no?

Play it and judge for yourself.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I just spent a bunch of my materials finishing up roads for half the second area. Feels very good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I'm about to leave Port Knot City and it seems like get on a boat, is that gonna make it a huge pain in the rear end to return to this zone? Should I get max connection rank with every city before I leave?

No.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The reason the "crafting" works in Death Stranding is because it's barely crafting. You get an abundance of materials and there's no real focus on that element or on lovely building chains that are the main gameplay behind actual crafting games.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Minor spoilers: Mads Mikkelsen just wished me a happy birthday.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Later game spoilers Killing BTs with the cord cutter makes them give you likes???

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Word thanks guys. One more question. Is there any way to save mid trip? Aside from those piles of rocks which I’ve only run into once and afaik I can’t build yet.

Just hold still for a bit and then hold down circle, and you'll rest anywhere.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm really curious what the game is going to look like a few months from now. Obviously since it just came out there are buildings all over the place, but when people aren't playing it as much and timefall degradation is a harder thing to deal with, the game could get really difficult.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I think the road points are planted by the game, not players

Yeah, roads are definitely in static spots. There aren't any in the first area.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry for blasting you guys with so many questions but you’ve been really helpful on some of the more opaque aspects of the game.

I have yet another though. Is there a good rule of thumb for how many supplies, resins/metals I should have on my person so I can build without weighing myself down too much. Also will the game take things strapped to my bike into account for my resource pool?

Oh and is there a way to check on how what resources are needed to build a structure in the menus?

IMO you don't really need to carry supplies around. If you need to build something with them just make a special trip and have something specific in mind. Otherwise just carry some PCCs around to build level 1 buildings.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Chapter 5 spoilers: gently caress getting to the spiritualist, can't see poo poo.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm just assuming people stopped building roads once they unlocked the zipline because they're stupidly good for how cheap they are.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I'm at the part where I have to make Mama's sister happy. There's a bunch of undelivered poo poo scattered around the base. Am I really gonna have to go around delivering this to get her approval? More importantly, do I actually have to slowly move through the BT infested Timefall Snowing mountain to get to the one guy for some of this? Surely this can't be what I have to do now

No, but what you have to do is worse! Go back to Mama.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The five floating figures seen several times are the previous 5 Extinction Entities, right?

Either that or your friends/Bridges members.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

This story sucks! Specifically the dialogue and everything related to the characters who talk a lot. The moment to moment stuff is fine, there could be an interesting story told by the progression of events, but everytime a character starts explaining something it gets really boring. I'm just waiting for the next fun Kojima-esque moment, but they're kind of sporadic unfortunately. I think I'm in that last third where people said it gets bad.

I think the story suffers from Kojima intending to make this a complete experience on its own, rather than like, a trilogy. His games have always had too much over-explanation but it really shows in DS.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sam is really meant to be a continuation of what he was trying to do in MGSV with Venom Snake but realized better. I'm wondering if he got it out of his system at this point.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

precision posted:

Approximately how far into the game do the following things get explained:

1. "Samantha America Bridges". I'm sorry, The Hard Man, but who? What? Is that me? Is that Sam's full name? What?

2. "My body is still on the beach". Cool, okay, so Amelie is dead, why is everyone acting like she's just being held hostage?

Both are basically at the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Like I said earlier, I feel like he was attempting to do the same thing he tried in MGSV with Venom Snake's characterization as being more "distant" and even socially awkward, though I think it works a lot better in this because Sam isn't tied to an earlier game where he's talking about being afraid of Dracula or believing in Santa Claus.