Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
First day on the job and already I'm a member of the elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm really digging the cooperative road building. When I started in Central Region there was nothing. Now the entire place has a nice smooth road to drive on.

Spent most of yesterday completing every auto-paver on the map, including a few by the craftsman which don't seem to actually go anywhere. Not sure if that's the most efficient way of doing things since they seem to (slowly) degrade from timefall, but this game draws out the completionist in me. Also been trying to 5-star everyone as fast as possible even though the stars don't seem to actually do anything. Got everyone in the first zone, second one is taking a bit longer since nobody had much to deliver to either the film director or cosplayer. Probably just need to wait for orders to refresh.

Is there any point in having lethal weapons outside the Combat Veteran fight? Mules can be a pain in the rear end but I assume I'll just get a game over or something if I run into their camp and start shooting them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Lethal weapons can be non-lethal if you go for the legs to stumble and then run up to punch, which results in a sweet Popeye style cartoon man action punch. You really, really shouldn't do it though. Not worth the risk or cruelty!

The camp outside the film director inconvenienced my by like, 10 minutes once. Unacceptable. If they do it again they're all ending up in the tar pit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lobok posted:

What's that movie where the poster has a 3 star rating placed in between two characters so you just assume it's a higher rating that has been cut off by the foreground? I respect the combined ballsiness/insecurity of that move.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/9288009/legend-movie-poster-advertising-is-evil

Not even three stars.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Khanstant posted:

That feeling when you offload a super heavy load and then are practically empty is awesome. Feels like a speed cheat code for a little while. Your mobility really goes nuts when you're unburdened.

It also opens you to the ultimate shame: Running so fast with a speed exoskeleton that you trip and fall over even though you're not carrying anything.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, It definitely isn't hard to get what it's going for. I guess what I tried to say is that it's extremely anime.

Especially the Junk Dealer storyline, good lord.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Question bout building up highways, is it always just by those pylon things and are those pre-set by the game or what? I know ziplines and some sort of hoverboard are coming, but is there ever a way to got get materials from one of my 5 star bunkers and bring it over to these highways?

Roads are only constructed by the auto-pavers through predetermined routes, you don't get the option to free build them wherever you want. They're absolutely worth completing since they let you get from place to place without having to worry about running out of energy and won't be obsolete even when you have an established network of ziplines. You can only haul what Sam can personally carry on a zipline, you'll still occasionally have to make large deliveries that require the use of a truck and will always want the roads in that case.

quote:

Also, I haven't made the effort myself yet, but can you climb all the mountains and poo poo? There's a pretty snowcapped mountain on this lake island segment place. Is it a matter of some cliffs just being too high to ever ladder up over, or straight up invisible wall style barriers long before mountain peaks?

Apparently the tutorial zone has some invisible walls but I've never run into one so far. If you wanted to go climb the giant mountain in the central region as soon as you got there you could do so, it would just take a while without exoskeletons/roads/ziplines.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

wyoak posted:

I don't think you can go straight south over the mountains from Wind Farm

I meant more that they don't hide invisible walls or add completely impassable terrain within the bounds of the world map as far as I can tell. Going by this video I would guess that all the edges of the map have some form of seemingly impassible terrain and then an actual invisible wall if you somehow cheese your way over that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ziplines have no business being as cheap as they are when these auto paver sections are costing me like 7000 metal for a tiny patch of road that runs directly through a terrorist camp.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The occasional track by Low Roar coming on during a key moment was a great part of the game early on, I'm not sure it really fits the tone anymore when it comes on as I'm ziplining through the air at 100MPH. At this point I've become a delivery man superhero and I need music to match.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I should get the drat real truck though, I think the Power Skeleton lv3 lets me carry more than the truck can even handle so a lot of trips with tons of metal/ceramic take a long rear end time in this overloaded slow truck.

Not sure if the MULE trucks are different than the Bridges ones but you can carry significantly more in a truck than you can with a power skeleton and its handling isn't affected by weight at all from what I can tell. Most of the time you won't even have to craft one yourself, just check the garage at any outpost and there will usually be one that was left there by another player.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 24, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Is there something in-game about the cosplayer and spiritualist being twin sisters or is that just one weird bit of laziness reusing the same model?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Finished the game last night, I think? It's saying to pass time until the inauguration but I played for a few hours after the credits and it still hasn't happened. Managed to play the whole game without ever running into the Musician, Veteran Porter, First Prepper, or Novelist's Son since it never directly forces you into any of their respective zones so there are still a few people to five star.

Absolutely amazing game that never could have existed without Kojima having basically unlimited resources at his disposal and no corporate overlord like Konami telling him no. 9.5/10, still not sure if I would actually recommend it to anyone and I'll probably never play it again once I mop up the last few achievements.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 27, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Midjack posted:

After you get good at fighting them or going fast it kind of doesn’t matter, they’ll go to where you were when the pulse hit and you can be long gone or run right for them to let the asskicking commence.

You can also start mostly ignoring BTs once you're fast enough. If you're using a speed exoskeleton and sprinting their attacks are too slow to catch up with you and you won't trigger the black puddle effect unless you run directly into one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

If I just started Episode 5 (after 35 hours of playtime for the record) roughly how far into the game am I?

Roughly half, maybe a bit under. There are 14 chapters but they're not all equal length, it took me around 70 hours to finish the game and that was with most of the sidequests included.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that was made by Buttman. he's otherwise normal he just shits his pants every 20 minutes on the dot

Being made to sit there and watch his face contorting for three full minutes was a bit uncomfortable but hey, it's a Kojima game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Finally got 5 stars with everyone, think I'm done with the game now. Could grind out the timed premium deliveries to get a full purple star but everything left to do seems like filler achievements at this point.

87 hours played and I can confidently say that it was Sam's fault every time he fell over like a dumbass, not mine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Hell yes.

edit: but seriously, I really want to play this on PC and I don't want to start over =(

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7licvzgkr54j87v/AAAeyfJNLU9QN5ZFbFf0RgXaa?dl=0

There's the contents of my save folder found in:

C > Users > Username > Appdata > Local > KojimaProductions > DeathStranding

Not sure if you can just copy all that into yours and have it work but it's worth a try. If that works I'm curious if the zipline network would be messed up since it might populate the world with ziplines from your area instead of mine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

thumper57 posted:

Ahhhh this explains why I'm building roads by myself, I've been stubbornly paving my way everywhere before I check in, I figured that the game must require you to finish roads yourself to discover the terrain, then let's other players provide repair materials. It didn't occur to me that those regions just weren't online yet.

The roads are just for convenience. You can go basically wherever you want if you're fine trekking there on foot or a vehicle can navigate the terrain and has enough battery to get you there. Also I'm pretty sure you'll have to build the roads entirely by yourself if you're doing it in regions that aren't in the chiral network yet, whereas some of the materials will be filled in by other players if the auto-paver is in a networked area. It's almost always better to go somewhere on foot first and then worry about the roads later.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

did i gently caress up by never building or using any zip lines at all? i rebuilt all the roads and just did truck simulator instead

Are you done with the game? There are a bunch of places after reaching Mountain Knot City which would be a major hassle to try and reach exclusively by truck or hiking.

e: Looks like you said you beat it on the last page. The idea of doing everything in the mountains without any ziplines sounds miserable.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 9, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

if Kojima was still with Konami would DS have even been made?

No large company would have let Kojima make this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Is there a localization thing that explains the "Princess Beach" line? Because that's the worst poo poo I've ever heard in a video game. People who hate the game and think it's boring should power through it anyway just so they can experience that terrible line and have proper context for it.