Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

I got this game recently and Iím in chapter 3. Some things are starting to make more sense.

Whatís the point of supply requests? When would I want to use one versus just making the thing myself?

Also, tips for fighting mules? The tip that keeps popping up says use L2 to ready the strand and R2 to tie a guy up. But I donít see any animation when I press L2 even when itís equipped and Iíve never gotten R2 to do anything. Sam just stands there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Midjack posted:

Another powerful weapon against MULEs is throwing containers at them or slapping them. Resins are probably the least precious resource so fling those orange briefcases at them with wild abandon or give them a delivery upside the face.

When Iím all loaded up, how do I easily pick what container to throw at them? Do I have to go into the cargo menu and unload something to my hand first?

Also I just got the bola gun so Iím looking forward to giving that a try.

I was holding L2 - I guess from the above posts it doesnít do anything unless youíre behind someone or parrying? Like if I face a mule head on, hold L2, then press R2, nothing happens.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Can someone explain roads and cooperation? I built the first road segment in chapter 3 with no help - I supplied all the materials. A day later it was extended into some crazy super highway stretching all the way to the next district center and my name isnít on the original auto-paver. How does the game determine any of this? Did I just get lucky with some helpful folks supplying tons of materials? Why isnít my name on the original paver?

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

How can you tell how much cargo a truck can carry? I was able to finally steal a mule truck, and I loaded it up only to have it tell me I couldnít get in. So I had to take cargo out one by one until I could drive it. Please tell me I just missed the weight limit display somewhere.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

I am enjoying this game but itís so annoyingly obtuse. I couldnít figure out how to use the floating platform and had to look it up - why doesnít it work like the rest of the equipment? The game says it consumes crystals while active but as far as I can tell does not show you anywhere how quickly itís consuming them.

Also, what does eating a cryptobite in the private room do? As far as I can tell it does nothing.

Also annoying is that if I see a structure that needs more materials, I need to do subtraction to figure out how much (3 times for the three different materials) then remember that number, go to the district center, then figure out what sizes of materials to claim. Itís easy math but there should just be some map at the Claim screen that shows structures that can be upgraded and how much they need.

I am really having a lot of fun but I also feel like so many of the mechanics are purposely obtuse and anti-player.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

You absolutely can

Thatís great! Thereís a lot of overwhelming visual information in virtually every screen so I must have overlooked that possibility. That should make road plans a little easier.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Is a high or low projected post-delivery condition for bot orders good? I thought for sure high (as in this will be the packageís condition after delivery) but it seems like the opposite when I actually see the results screen.

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Ok. Iíll chalk that up to just another bad UX decision.

Iím in Chapter 5 now. Am I wasting my time building all the roads from Lake Knot to South Knot or will those continue to come in handy? I have more than a few segments left and itís a real pain in the butt (but so satisfying)

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Krazyface posted:

All roads are useful.

I forget, have you linked up South Knot by that point? Because once you link a region, other people's contributions to your roads start to count. That's the only reason not to build a road as soon as you can afford it, it's a pretty significant discount. The only mechanical reason, anyway, discounting people who just don't like playing with roads.

Yep. I just have three remaining road segments in the middle remaining.

How far can you get from a truck full of cargo before it will get lost? I like the idea of loading a bunch of standard orders up, driving down the road, and getting out with a floating platform to make stops here and there but Iím worried about losing all the cargo in the truck.

Furthermore, whatís the purpose of standard deliveries? Or even likes in general? Is there any point to getting a star rating up with a facility? I see they offer more materials but I donít really need them.

dantheman650 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 26, 2020

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Iím in Chapter 5 now and thereís so much I want to do! Better to keep on with the story missions or is now a good time to go mess around with all the side stuff? Worth it to go back to the starting area?

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Just make a Postbox with a PCC and shove everything in there - thereís no limit. Come back and grab stuff as you please.

Meanwhile Iím in Chapter 8 now. Who could have predicted thatís why they call him Heartman?

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

Iím in Chapter 13 now and this is absolutely excruciating. This is my first and probably last Kojima game. There were some good ideas and moments of fun in the middle but the beginning and end are just miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dantheman650
Jun 2, 2009

My god why am I literally watching cutscenes Iíve already seen before. When does this game end. This is dragging on so long!

And now the credits play again. Kojima needs an editor.

Overall I liked the game quite a bit. The core loop was really fun after I figured out the menus and mechanics and I had a blast building roads and planning routes. The cooperative gameplay was so cool and I really looked forward to connecting new regions to the network.

However, the story was some primo garbage and the last 3 chapters completely put me off and left me soured. I had some intention to go back and 5 star old areas and connect some more regions I hadnít connected but now I feel like Iím completely over it.

What a bizarre game!

dantheman650 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 7, 2020