Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainCrunch posted:

Enjoying the hell out of this game but I’ve hit the part that stops me in every game. The boss fight with some extra requirement that I’m no good at.

The Doomwhale fight, have to keep the Cryptobiote shipment >50% damage. No replicators, so no container repair spray, accelerated timefall damage, and I keep getting hit with some gold bullshit from behind during the fight knocking me down. Finished the fight, keep finding my shipment destroyed. Last try it was 55% damaged goddamnit.

Couple pages ago but a general recommendation for “situations where you know you’ll have to fight because you flubbed it once already” is to abuse private storage. Find/create a postbox/room/depot, dump your precious cargo, go get your rear end shot by mules and eaten by BTs while kramering around to your heart’s content and backtrack to pick it up when you’re done, all for the usually-low price of “one PCC”.

Just don’t leave it in a truck unless you know you’ll be less than 500m or so from it, ever. (re: your specific situation, I dumped it in a truck before the fight but the tar pool inexplicably ate the truck but not the cargo, came back to it after and it had still taken 20% damage but at that point idgaf compared to the 80% it took on my first attempt’s kramering. Parking it outside the tar area entirely probably would have been fine, unfortunately no friends had left a postbox or room actually-nearby so the backtracking would have been all the way to the outpost)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

Fun game. I wish near the end that I had spent some of that 90 hours I roughly spent in the middle of the country beefing up the other land a bit because there was almost nothing there to help me and very little fellow porter help

Wouldn’t have mattered, when they say “everything you made got destroyed in heavy rainfall” they’re being quite literal. Every bridge, ladder, postbox, rope, anything with your name on it is temporarily deleted and the contents if any transferred to capital knot. The only way you can help yourself premptively is if you printed poo poo pre-chapter 9 and left it in port knot; beyond that you’re entirely at the mercy of the contents of the shared lockers in the distro centers and whatever postboxes/private rooms your fellow porters left.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

When I got the cuff weapon I was like “this I stupid why would I ever get close enough to use this thing “ but it ends up being super useful. Especially coupled with the bola gun.

tbqh I don’t even really use the bola, the BTs seem generally extremely weak to the combo of
- walk until your odarek starts quick-blinking
- crouch, walk until it spins
- hold your breath, keep walking until

- handcuff

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

That's my only complaint about the traversal, really, is that the auto-pavers start filling up much too quickly once you reach the Lake Knot Distro and South Knot City. They should've made you really work for the roads, but as is they're a bit too generous with ones that fill up and get built without your input. In my game the entire road up to the Lake Knot Distro got built as soon as I finished the South Knot delivery that ends chapter 3 and that made me sad because it meant I'd never even set foot in that huge area between Lake Knot and the distro center again (aside from beating some MULE rear end)

I feel like it's an extreme crapshoot-- I ended up doing a lot of the east and north side roads myself just by loading up a truck full of claimed materials and then didn't touch another paver from that point on, and after one thing led to another even now in the post-game only the 2 sections of road closest to the distro center and mountain knot got filled by online people. It seems to just depend on which cohort you got dropped into and whether some of the people in it fast-tracked the roads or not.

Ice Fist posted:

I was far more afraid of BT areas until I figured out THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK BTS HATE

Please don't give away the secret formula that gets you through a BT area when you don't have BB with you. Not having BB with me is how I discovered that moving slowly enough basically an invisibility cloak to BTs.

hah, I was doing so well with "dealing with BTs" up until that point that I had literally no idea what the progression of aggro was normally-- the first non-BB BT area was me using a million blood grenades as lures to draw the BTs in a visible way so I could kill them based on the handprints. After that I said gently caress it and yoloed, and found out that as long as you're moving faster-than-a-drifting-BT so that all of the potential for spooks is "in front of your face", you'll still be able to see them pop up in front of you with enough time to pop them before anything bad happens.

of course that working well still ended up loving me over trying to figure out how to get to edge knot but oh well. if I'd ever been snagged out of the first phase of the tar pit it probably would have been more obvious what the game wanted me to do to get across the tar belt, but since I'd never actually spawned a miniboss I spent a good 10 minutes aggroing BTs and struggling out of tar on that penninsula before I finally lost enough stamina to get properly grabbed

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

re: weapons in general, I appreciated having them as a “method of dealing with things without it being all stealth all the time” thing. For the later game weapons/bosses I agree that the rocket launchers felt weirdly out of place but I also appreciated the leviathan/titan BTs being chekov’s gun bosses instead of, say, “setpieces you only ever run away from”, and feel that the rocket launchers are in the vein of “we don’t want to spend too much time introducing weird extra stuff, it’s a rocket, it’s got blood in it, you shoot it” for those bosses.

I also felt while playing that the lethal weapons in general are basically undertale-esque traps, so retroactively finding out that using them means you have to drop nearly everything you’re doing to hike a corpse that takes up an inconvenient amount of backpack space to an incinerator that’s in the middle of nowhere by in-world design kind of reinforced that— I know that’s literally what the game tells you early on, but finding out that it’s a very in-person punishment and not just “immediate nonstandard game over” was both surprising and gratifying.

I never used an assault rifle outside of scripted fights/the war beach but I can only assume the noise has a similarly punishing effect of drawing every BT in a 3 mile radius straight to you, given that even the pop of a blood grenade does the same.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

sure okay posted:

I want more gameeee

Not gonna lie, I’m not usually interested in hitting Plat on open world games. I’ll do sidequests but usually whatever’s not done when I finish a game like this my brain just clicks off like “okay, job finished”. Hasn’t happened yet, here; still building zipline networks and consuming likes from deliveries.

Maybe I’ve got mule syndrome after all :ohdear:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

Think about how similar the two of you are. (spoilers all the way up to chapter 15)

neither of them have a Beach or a spirit of their own

wait what? Sam has his own beach— the reason BBs don’t have beaches is because they’re never “born”, and why removing them from their tank “ruins” them in the first place even if they survive it. Sam’s special-ness stems directly from what Amelie does after he’s killed the first time, not from his original BB status.

Deadman goes on at length about finding Sam on Sam’s beach specifically, too— they originally tried to go to Amelie’s but it was already blown to gently caress, and Amelie just shoved Sam back to his beach.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Spite posted:

so one thing I haven't seen answered:

what's up with the satanic hacking animation?

It’s a UCS logo that pops up in at least one or two other places, although I couldn’t tell you where if you held a gun to my head because it’s not super common (something in the private room or a background of one of the computer UIs I think)

My SO was like “pentagram what” and then like 30 minutes later “oh there it is, hunh”

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Heh most of the NPCs are wearing Santa hats now.

Also I just beat the first boss, what a joke. I guess it’s supposed to be a tutorial on fighting them?

There are some NPC structures and signs but I assume they get less frequent as you go further West.

PancakeTransmission posted:

It's just you and the NPC stuff. Like you see some of early on that's specifically to introduce you to each new building that you can use/building. I think it's coloured in blue names.

I really wonder how chapter 9+ go given the emphasis on other Sams throwing you poo poo during the boss fights and the final hike east with no ability to print or build

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

Holy poo poo lol apparently Sam can have blood in his urine which gives you EX +1 grenades.

I've never seen this before and this is my 2nd playthrough.

Uncle Rhabdo strikes again

Katamari Democracy posted:

Too much monster?

Honestly if it's what I think it is, my guess would be it's not blood but rhabdomyolysis, aka "your muscles have broken down enough that you are now pissing them out", a not-uncommon thing with high intensity training-- my guess would be if you take more than 1 or 2 bars of permanent stamina damage before resting this is the result

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Katamari Democracy posted:

It would shock me if this was the case.

I would really love to replay this game offline. But I would hate my effort for platinum. So I am kinda at a cross roads.

I looked it up, and of course-- EX 1 and EX 2 grenades are from going #1 and #2. Because of course they are.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

rabidsquid posted:

is there any reason to carry around ex grenades after you get hematic grenades? actually is there any reason to use the gun instead of hematic grenades? between the grenade pouch letting you carry seven for free without damage and the fact that they seem to just wax all the BTs i don't see why i would ever use the EX grenades. or why you get the BT gun after them.

No, and "yes, depending" where the "depending" is a combination of the difficulty setting and what you're prioritizing for your backpack pouches later on. EX grenades are literally worthless compared to hematics (I guess if you need the stun-a-BT effect with no blood cost? but storing cryptobiotes is free sooo); and the "depending" is I think in part a difficulty setting thing-- blood grenades are basically a Damage Over Time cloud that usually does enough to kill things in one go, but if you're at a higher difficulty setting it can take more than one and stacking multiple grenades in one area don't increase the DOT effect, whereas the BT gun does direct damage.

Additionally, one BT handgun can kill a lot more BTs per small container than grenades, since you get "I forget what the default is but it's a lot more than 5" bullets per gun and that can be increased later on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

I’ve honestly just always used power because I was one of those “just hold down the shoulder buttons” balance dudes and I’d generally instantly be in the yellow encumberance range any time I took them off for 0.3 seconds. I eventually swapped to all terrain v3 because I accidentally found out they gave a less-but-still-decent bonus after my porter rank got high enough but I may play with the speed ones now if they do the same

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

The (Chapter 3 spoilers)nuke reveal would have a lot more impact if it wasn't loving labeled in your inventory as soon as you get it.

Also anyone else feel like the Fragile flaskback was written with her being completely naked but everyone told Kojima no?

By the way I severely underestimated how much the floating carrier can do. As long as you don't need to climb it can follow you, it even jumps! So it's no contest with speed skeleton vs power skeleton. The best of both worlds is speed skeleton+floating carrier, and you can even carry a power skeleton with you if you need it.

I’m low on situations where I need to use it at this point (lol ziplines) but yeah I didn’t use it as much as I probably should have early on because I was worried about the fuel cost, which turned out to be pretty negligible

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Ruffian Price posted:

Later on you get time-sensitive deliveries that require you to get like a ton over the mountain and the best way to do those is speed skeleton + floating carrier to the nearest zipline, once you get the Use Zipline prompt load everything on your back to the point you can't move, zip to your destination and load the carrier again

Yeah the problem with those is always volume (cough cold weather fuel cough), although it was pretty funny when I loaded up on like 700kg of road-building materials before jumping on a zipline and my SO was like “WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THAT MAN’S ARM”

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

“Allowing disassembly of vehicles by holding start” is another one and a major QoL when some asshat’s parked on the road

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

madeintaipei posted:

^^^No poo poo? I didn't catch that.

See-through cargo so you can see the odradek was the other big one.

It's telling when I was in the middle of gameplay before and after the patch, and before I was seriously considering bringing grenades to blow the fuckers off the road so that "driving them off" didn't bind them to me and despawn other vehicles I drove

Also re: cargo, a Fun Thing to note is if you hold triangle while not near anything you'll instantly drop all your cargo on the ground, and holding down triangle near cargo will speed-pick it up without you needing to tap it, the combination of which is convenient when you can find or throw down an umbrella to temporarily shelter your cargo while you go hunting for mules/BTs and don't feel like having your ladders melting off your back

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Make very sure you’ve got an area networked before dumping mats into it

glares at the collector

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Gruckles posted:

1. Correct

2.Bridget started the BB experiments before the Death Stranding, and BTs also existed at that time in lesser numbers at this time. The BBs were supposed to help her prove to everyone that BTs existed, so humanity could start researching the Beach and try to prevent the coming extinction, and also set up her chiral internet for everyone. Then after Bridget killed Sam and brought him back as a repatriate, the Death Stranding happened, and Bridget's personal theory on why is that the universe was punishing her for trying to against her existence as an extinction entity.

WaltherFeng posted:

whats confusing is that voidouts were a thing before Sam was born (the previous president was killed in Manhattan) but then again, we do see Mads visiting his wife during a rainy day so DS definitely couldnt have happened yet.

What we know for sure because it’s explicitly stated (iirc)

- EEs were a thing in the past
- Previous extinction events left indications of it via chiralium layers
- BT handprints (and thus BTs) may have been around in the past

so the upshot appears to be

- BTs always existed in some form but the walls of the world are or were, generally, thicker— BTs only could actually cross back in very specific situations, and even then BTs can’t necessarily “see” you any better than we can see them (but noises still draw them)
- That first recorded voidout likely happened due to a conflation of good/bad luck with a braindead mother, a kid, and either
A. surgeon/OR member who was “aware” enough to see the BT and react to it (by yelling, loloops), or
B. even just touching a BB’s umbilical is enough to “tune in” to see BTs and the world-walls were already starting to thin thanks to the mere existence of Amelie
- Either way, the actual Death Stranding event, which everyone refers to as “all the poo poo went down” but really seems to be “when the beaches and the real world started overlapping”, happened when Amelie sent Sam back and effectively poked a bigass hole in an already-slightly-leaky water balloon
- Timefall (chiralium-infused rain) with attendant BTs, BTs where people have since-the-DS died, and everything else have only been around since Sam, effectively.
- If proper Death Stranding events have occurred in the past, or the previous extinction events are only “the walls thin because so much poo poo died at once” similar to the communal war beaches and it’s only this one that Super hosed poo poo Up because of Amelie/Sam causing the Death Stranding directly, we don’t know

I almost feel like I need to replay it with all this poo poo in mind tbh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

You only produce poop grenades if you’ve eaten cryptobyotes, which doesn’t happen that often.

By default no, but given the slightly-hidden mechanic of you can collect and store cryptobiotes if you’re already at full health for a faster heal instead of waiting for a blood pack to kick in or if you’re out of/want to save blood packs it can be worthwhile

I agree with the general sentiment of there being a lot of introduced “implied difficult” mechanics that end up not actually mattering if you spend literally any time preparing for your trips. Sandalweed is easily the most aggressively useless one, but EX grenades are a close second. I guess if you basically do a “nuzlocke” run where you don’t allow yourself to fabricate items period, only pick up lost cargo and use items the plot hands to you or something...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Was anyone else really nervous doing the "deliver medicine to the mountaineer" mission? When they said that the mother's illness could cause her to be braindead I thought "poo poo, that's how they make BBs" And I thought about how badly Bridges needs more BBs and so I started getting suspicious of Bridges' motivations. (I had been for a while, Kojima made Bridges one of the good guys, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them the villains)

I was doing the delivery and remembered that the game would sometimes throw a boss fight at you on story missions so I was starting to get nervous when I got there. The mountaineer placed a arrow sign or something and had a hologram of himself next to it waving- it startled me I almost pulled my gun out.

I was glad to be wrong.

I absolutely thought it was going somewhere in that general direction, yes, and was pleasantly surprised to be wrong-- it's impressive how frequently the game hits those "You've played an RPG before, you know exactly where this questgiver is going! Haha no you don't we're playing it straight and they're actually fine" points, it's like a reverse Yoko Taro game

WaltherFeng posted:

Bridges is kinda shady though since they all followed Bridget's orders to the letter without ever questioning her. What they did to Cliff was pretty hosed up.

The recurring thing always seems to be we did the lovely thing for either noble reasons, or what we thought were noble reasons at the time-- both in terms of Bridges 1 and everything around it, and later on when Amelie does a secret heel-turn and Bridges still thinks she's on the up-and-up-- and even then she's got the flawed-but-valid-to-her "spare everyone suffering and get it over with" rationale going on. The fact that there only seems to be one Cliff does beg the question of if the other BBs were "more ethically sourced", though-- assuming that every one of the seemingly-many BBs, both the ones in BT-detection use by porters and the ones stuck being a Knot node, came from "we're stealing your kid and killing you if you complain" kinds of situations, you'd think there'd be more vengeful parent chiral supercells floating around.

There's a lot of really bad places you can go with it but since the implication in-game is there's more than one stillmother and they're effectively interchangable when it comes to "syncing up" whatever BBs with in-womb conditions, I'm going to just pretend they're growing BBs in vats and using people who happen to be brain dead as pseudo-VR goggles for BBs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Ostensibly, when you die, if you touch other people in the seam you increase your chances of swapping buildings with them

I don’t know if that’s the same as the Strand Contracts you can make in the Bridge Links but if you trip across people with useful stuff you should make contracts with them so you can get more useful stuff

alternatively just contract with the funniest names you find

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

The best way to “cheese” 5-stars is:
- Get a bunch of poo poo for a person
- Get to them
- Dump all but one order’s worth of stuff into their private locker, turn just that one in, and see what happens

If you end up at “all but a fraction of a star” levels it’s probably bound by either a specific quest (which usually means check their terminal for an order that has you going out to find cargo and come back), you sleeping and reading their followup email, or sometimes even just “The game can’t handle giving you a backpack dongle and a star at the same time”— in which case you can literally just immediately turn in another order as a seperate transaction and keep gaining rep

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

somehow in my mind some things like BBs turn into BTs instantly after dying. At first it made sense in my head.

I was going to say “surely it wouldn’t” but it does make sense given the first voidout on record happened immediately because of what would eventually be known as a BB. The whole point is that they’re half on one side, half on the other; if they die there’s probably a pretty instantaneous oh-poo poo situation that potentially happens there

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Was Sam the first BB? Or just the first Repatriate?

First repatriate because him being one caused the death stranding in the first place; not the first "baby born under a situation that would cause them to be half on the beach" but probably the first one in a pod and made use of

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

thehoodie posted:

I did not get that Sam caused the Death Stranding. Or was that his wife/kid? I thought it occurred before then.

Amelie spends a bunch of time monologuing about how the universe abhors life and it was all a mistake that the universe as a whole has been trying to revert back since, I initially took that as bunch of melodramatic monologuing but apparently there's at least some grain of truth to it because Sam being brought back from the dead directly resulted in the Real World and the Seam/Beaches overlapping enough that else anyone who died could just cross back over as a BT looking for their body, if their body wasn't incinerated

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I have a question about knocking mules/homo demens out; Does knocking them unconscious last the same amount of time as making them sleep? Also do tying them up with bolas change anything about the time they stay disabled?

Former is “yes”, with the apparent side benefit that “sleeping” they can’t be roused by friends (KO’d, if someone you missed shows up they can start a party)

If you bola them they get up on their own unless you bola them with a loving skull embrace, which counts as a KO

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

minya posted:

So I’m 35h into the game, and I just finished chapter 3. Jeez. What’s the pacing of this game like? Am I like halfway through it?

No, although the chapters eventually start speeding up. You can beeline the main plot deliveries but that defeats the cool and chill nature of the game imo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

If you can’t fabricate a car yet I’d beeline for that, after that point you have options:

- Raiding mule camps and running off with more cargo than god, or
- Claiming all the materials you can from everyone

when you claim materials you’ll usually end up with followup standard orders to restock the place you ransacked

also make sure if you get a, say, “deliver metals” order, claim all the metals from the place you’re delivering to and dump it all in your private locker so you don’t overcap their metal storage, etc

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

night slime posted:

Been messing around with the bell and noticed it seems to be a double-or-nothing effect. Places with BTs are empty occasionally for about ten minutes without me having done anything in the area, which I've never seen before, or they seem to have a giant BT boss there after you get captured. If you really hate that effect that plays it might be worth a shot.

"BT boss when you get captured" is normal gameplay, only NPCs get insta-voided by the normal BTs

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Capital Letdown posted:

Thinking back, I have a question about some late game BT's up on the mountain.

There was a couple of 'stronger' BT's up on the mountain that, as far as I can remember, kinda did a warp or a phase out thing when I shot them with the anti-BT gun. The effects were reddish/yellowish/orange/golden?? in colour when I shot it.

Was that BT anything? A stronger enemy? Was I just using a regular gun and didn't notice? Something special about the mountain? I never really saw a payoff on that, and never had to deal with it once my zip-lines let me just blow past that area.

Just stronger, they still die in 1 shot with the handcuff, I don't know if any amount of regular weapons can kill them otherwise

from what I hear they can show up in other situations if you've hosed up and caused a voidout in an area but iirc that's the only place that specific type spawns normally

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

Fun fact: BT bosses are chiral crystal pińatas. Don’t fear them

I used to avoid mule camps and BTs whenever possible. I do have an infant in a just after all. Now I stopped being a coward and bust them up all day and it’s pretty easy since the game (sometimes literally) throws gear at you all the time.

Oh my yes :getin:

1 Level 2 BT handgun will take care of several if you have the blood for it, it's impressive how crap the other weapons feel in comparison to the charge shot

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Worth noting is Sam’s right arm is stronger than his left, so “the arm you use to throw” literally makes a difference as well

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

night slime posted:

Looks like the game is programmed to help out the mules if they get stuck. Cheaters... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7K8Q8xaTU

I will bet :10bux: that they’ve got that in place for all human models, you included, probably at least in part so that “random porters don’t get stuck in a place where they might die and cause BTs/voidouts”

the methodology of a bunch of sams dragging a car to hell is pretty :stare: though

e: tempted to see if you find the car in the seam after that happens

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 13, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

night slime posted:

I was going to try to mess with it some more but it's hard as gently caress to recreate stuff in this game. I kept trying to do this weird boss one again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az-AShy6MsE No idea what really happened other than I peed on its face/eye? Every other try I missed it and got knocked down or just made a little white spot, and it takes forever to set up so I just gave up.

Presumably Ex 1 grenades would have the same effect with less timing necessary, although the instant full color change seems like a bug regardless

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean if Dead Space 1 doesn't qualify as a decent horror game just because it has action then idk man. Imo just about any genre can be a good horror game because it's about tension, atmosphere and playing on fears. It's extremely difficult to pull off but like, player agency is just one small knob to be dialing on a vast machine of making a successful horror game.

Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, and Doom (3, but also 2016) fall into a kind of bucket where they’re technically horror but they’re significantly less tense (although part of the problem with using the latter term is that it’s extremely player-dependent). Tension in a game is the difference between the new player creeping along in a Soulsborne game, wary of every box, and the naked speedrunner juking every enemy that they already know is there.

Games that provide you with mechanisms to remove enemies outright are generally going to have a far faster falloff rate of tension compared to games where the only option for removal of tension is “intimate knowledge of the enemy AI”, especially if most players will finish the game before ever actually fully decoding that AI.

To that end, I’d classify Dead Space as technically horror in terms of plot/vibe, but the primary gameplay genre is action, and the more comfortable you are with that the less likely you are to find any tension in that gameplay.

Death Stranding, similarly, is only tense in situations where you enter unprepared, and the game makes it very easy to be very prepared for 95% of the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

Genre pedants are the worst

just wait until I say “death stranding is a roguelite” and summon the swarms

but really, a lot of the pedantary would be solved if “genre” didn’t try to encompass both “gameplay” and “aesthetic”, and in this essay I will

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Cufflink early would make for better gameplay but it’d be harder to explain why “chiral bloodblade” happens before “blood water balloon”. Extending the useful period of EX grenades with a “we tested them and this is what they seem to do” would have been nice, as would swapping the wind farm and weather station to have “avoid BT weather” be even temporarily useful instead of easily always ignored.

Related, they make a point of saying your rope is blood-infused but I never found a situation where it did anything vs BTs, is there an option to bind BTs before you get the cuff or something?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Danaru posted:

Honestly I havent figured out the dodge move and I still love driving into a MULE camp, whipping a box at someone, and Royal Rumble-ing the lot of them when the alarm goes up. Brawling with Sam loving rules

Bolas and non lethal guns make it easy but punching a dude into unconsciousness and yeeting his cargo into the face of the next dude over is just so satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

I don’t know if it’s RNG but a lot of the time when BTs started trying to GTA my truck, Sam would just punt them in the face and slam the door shut

If you get out you’re instafucked but it wasn’t guaranteed by any means, I got a lot of mileage out of that trick in that canyon between Port Knot and the distro center on the east coast