Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

I'd never heard of Chvrches (man that's annoying to type) and on the first listen I didn't much care for the track, which was a bummer because Kojima usually picks interesting tunes to accompany his games. I gave it another listen and about halfway through I realized I somehow kinda loved it. That is the fastest a song has ever grown on me.

Yeah that track is loving ace.

E: I had no idea it's the same band that did that rad track for Mirror's Edge Catalyst too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB4gjiMVKFI

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Review copies are out, embargo ends November 1st.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I love lovely collector's editions memorabilia so much. My favorite is probably the Max Payne 3 special edition statue. Not only does the face on the statue look more like Fred Flintstone than Max Payne:

They were also made of a very cheap plasticky material that didn't do well with any kind of heat, so on warm days Max would start to do a sick gangsta lean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8pQGprb3k

There are so

Many

pictures of these lovely statues leaning like he's about to do a bullet time dive

"The Fall of Max Payne" is such a perfect title for that video goddamn.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BT stands for Boring Trash. I love this game but it would be better if it didn't have BTs or Mules in it.

punishedkissinger posted:

Just played through this game over the weekend and god drat if it isn't relevant right now

Spare a thought to the person delivering your Amazing toilet paper or whatever.

E: Autocorrect changed Amazon to Amazing but I'll let it be.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 9, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm assuming the game was commercially succesful enough that Kojima will be handed another pile of money for his next project. I cannot wait to see what the next project is. Should I go back and play some of the older MG games in the meantime? I've only played 5 (shameful I know).

It could've flopped hard and people would still shower Kojima with money at this point. The MGS games (PS1 onwards) are definitely worth playing if you liked Death Stranding. They're genuinely good, polished games though your appreciation of the story may vary. MGS3 is considered one of the best PS2 games of all time for good reason. Portable Ops (the PSP one) you can skip, but Peace Walker is great (the HD version especially) and it's kind of a proto-MGS5.

Even aside form all that, you should play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Though Kojima only had a slight involvement in it, it's an incredibly fun game.

Johnny Truant posted:

I agree but I think BTs should've been used way more sparingly. Mules were fun for just beating the absolute poo poo out of with their own containers, so they get a pass for me.

I don't mind them in the game as-is but I wish they'd ditched them aside from a few encounters in favor of focusing on the traversal being the main "antagonist" because they had it figured out so drat well already.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Looks like I'll have to pick up a Playstation at some point then. ahh well

The MGS HD collection (MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker) is available on Xbox too. MGS1 is PS1 exclusive (there's a PC port but it's rubbish and a remake on the Gamecube that turned it into a ludicrous action movie) and pretty of-its-time gameplay-wise but you kind of need to know what goes on in it to appreciate MGS2. MGS4 is PS3-only though it might be on Playstation Now on the PS4/PS5 but like MGS1, you could just watch a good Let's Play of it or something to get the basic gist before moving on to Peace Walker. MGS3 and Peace Walker are must-play games no matter what, I think.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How can you not love that? Seriously.

Johnny Truant posted:

:agreed:

It was pretty much every other order was BT territory. In the beginning of the game they were spoopy as poo poo; towards the end I basically was just crouching through the most efficient route and severing any umbilicals that I incidentally found.

I'm def still processing everything but I think I liked Heartman the best out of all the characters. Really intriguing backstory, like really the only one I found believable and actually human, and funny but not dumb-funny interactions.

They were definitely spooky and some moments were intense but eventually it was like they were more of an inconvenience than a threat which they were constantly portrayed to be. It's like, dude, this zone is cool, just let me walk around and explore but NOPE, sneak or do a lame (albeit visually spectacular) boss fight to have a moment to freely explore the place.

Snowy posted:

Wait Iím supposed to be able to make sense of all that?

(19 years and dozens of Youtube analysis videos later) Hah. Of course you were! :smug:

night slime posted:

PS Now also lets you play on PC since it's just a streaming thing and has MGS4 and the HD Collection last time I used it about 9 months ago. Warning that it's bandwidth intensive and just won't let you use it if you don't have the connection.

Oh that's right. So that would be the best bet for our curious compatriate here. PS Now is what? 13 bucks a month? Could squeeze at least 2 and 3 in there, probably 4 too. Peace Walker if you only play for the story but why would you do that instead of sinking dozens of hours into it?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

All I did post-game was built zip-lines, they completely break the game. If you start building them as soon as possible, you can cover insane distances. Always carry a PCC2 with you.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Really the thread title should be Death Stranding: The Longest Low Roar Music Video.

(I bought their first album because of this game and I love it)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wheeee posted:

death stranding tries to get you hype like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxTBb9cSAO8

metal gear rising gets you hype like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

Both extremely valid in terms of hype. Death Stranding's intro is one of my favorites of any game ever.

John DiFool posted:

Itís hard to believe people are defending survive in this thread. Konami couldíve let Kojima actually finish MGSV instead.

Seriously, gently caress Konami.

Also this times a billion.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wheeee posted:

It really is spectacular, Death Stranding's entire lengthy intro is one of the best in the industry, the entire sequence from booting the game up to completing that first delivery to the incinerator hooked me completely.

Absolutely. Perfect music, perfect editing, perfect atmosphere.

esperterra posted:

I just wanna rep Metal Gear Ac!d for a second

Metal Gear Ac!d loving owns

Metal Gear Ac!d is NOT CANON! Also I've never played them, they really good?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Console Role Player posted:

yes

yes. Ac!d^2 more so than the first one.

Well rats, I'll have to check them out then.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

if Kojima was still with Konami would DS have even been made?

Unlikely. It's profoundly self-indulgent but fortunately it worked out in the end. To be fair, Kojima does seem like someone who likes to take his time with a project for better or worse, and that's going to cost more and more money. We'll probably never get the "ultimate" Kojima game because that would mean unlimited time and money but then again it's probably a good thing that there's some control over him, but not to the extent of MGS5 where he had to deliver an unfinished game.

It's not a good thing to restrict Kojima too much but it's definitely a good thing to give him an editor.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MGSV has the best 3rd person action game controls ever and I doubt they'll be surpassed any time soon. That game feels so loving good to play it's unreal.

As for MGR music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAPgPH9hsI

I don't care if it's "bad" the music works so well with the game that you can't not respect it at least.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

By the way, here's something interesting I noticed today regarding the Veteran Porter. Being part of BRIDGES I, he's wearing the old porter suit Sam was also wearing at the start of the game:

But look! His has shoulder harnesses for putting stuff on his arms, like on Sam's new suit. Where's my unlockable classic porter outfit dammit!

It's in the same place the unlockable Max Payne leather jacket is in. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I mean, there is an actual footage out there of the last chapter of MGS5 that reads "X% finished" that details the actual end of MGSV's main story that isn't in the game so I don't know how people don't consider it unifinished when that's not in the game.

MGSV does a lot of incredible things, mostly gameplay wise, and goes a long way in trying to bridge the gap in the whole mythology of Metal Gear and succeeds in it, but the story of MGSV specifically isn't in the released game. That's just a fact.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

esperterra posted:

Lots of games are released objectively unfinished, and MGSV is one of them, and there's nothing wrong with still loving the poo poo out of the game and thinking it does pretty alright having a beginning, middle and end all things considered.

MGS5 closes the loop in the grand saga but doesn't get to finish its own story which is a huge shame. But above all I'm bummed that the specific gameplay MGS5 offers won't be used again (MG Survive doesn't matter) after how much work went into it. The Fox Engine is genuinely one of the most tragic stories of game development for all the potential it had.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A lot of MGS5 is making your own fun using every tool you have available. It's also one of the best stealth games ever made and has the best controls of any 3rd person game I've ever played. The dive move alone is absolute genius.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1325363964260179969?s=20

:allears:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I haven't heard anything yet but I'd expect it'll get a PS5 patch. I don't think Horizon has gotten one yet so I don't know how well PS4 Decima works on PS5 but at this point I'd expect (dynamic) 4K 60 fps.

E: Scratch that, Killzone Shadow Fall runs at a dynamic 4K 60 fps on PS5 without a patch and that's a Decima game. But neither Horizon or Death Stranding have unlocked fps modes as far as I know so right now they're probably both still 30 fps.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope the patch will add some Dualsense stuff too. There's no doubt Kojima's going nuts about that controller.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Raithe posted:

This is the best game I've played all year, first equal with Control. I might pick up Horizon too, if this is what Decima delivers on PC.
Is there any reason whatsoever to use Ex grenades once you have haematic grenades/bloodguns etc. Where the hell is Conan? Is he the pizza guy?
I'm no Kojima fanboy, that guy is obviously batshit insane, but I've had some genuinely emotional experiences while out in the field playing this game.

Coming over the hill into Lake Knot, having just been dragged around by a BT. I don't know if it was scripted, but it felt like it was my fault. BB was so stressed he'd shut down completely, I couldn't even rock him any more. My poo poo was all broken, I was out of stamina and it was easily my longest trek up to that point. Crest the hill, city is in sight, Asylums for the Feelings start playing and I'm just so impressed.
:discourse:

Low point was interacting with the "Chiral Artist". Was Kojima doing an investor a favour by putting their daughter in the game? Holy christ that was painful.

Edit: Control was last year. Here's hoping this is first equal with cyberpunk.

You'll find Conan in the second big area of the game, just keep delivering stuff you find out in the world. I was a bit put off by the whole chiral artist stuff initially but their little story wound up being pretty enjoyable overall.

That "Asylums For The Feeling" moment though, it's been a long time since I was so taken aback by a game. And then the musical moments just keep coming (ugh, pun) and they're all fantastic.

Personally I never used poo poo/piss grenades after I got the blood stuff though I doubt they're useless or anything. What a sentence to write. I love this game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There's also a section buried in the menus to "link" yourself with other players which makes their structures more likely to appear in your world. The limit of how many players you can link with increases over time. I went with the people with the most likes since I figured they were more likely to put stuff in places that were actually useful, but I never checked who put what structure where.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Snowy posted:

They gotta patch ziplines and roads out of the game :colbert:

BTs and Mules too. :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dreamin of semen posted:

I can only hope this escalates further in his future games, though the inclusion of poo grenades has me a little worried

May I introduce Mr. Johnny Sasaki?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I climbed one of those ruined buildings between mountain and the weather station and pissed off the top. Was hoping to hit the BTs at the bottom but didn't.

E: is conan o brian in this loving game???

Here's how it happened.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's where he may have gotten the idea for all we know.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

If you hit the touchpad and shout when you're near a shelter (when the inhabitant's hology is visible) Sam will shout something random at them and they'll shout something back. I did that a lot once I discovered it, that and yelling "Whatcha looking for, dumbass!?" when fighting mules.

It is weird that Sam is treated like a silent protagonist by a lot of the NPCs but he's got a clear and distinct personality and a literal shout button.

Oh wow, I only ever used it randomly while trekking alone, that's neat. Look at devs actually using the touchpad for things, like it took me until Persona 5 Royal to realize that you can make your cat van purr by rubbing the touchpad.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If you hit the touchpad while (very endgame spoilers) on the infinite beach during the first credit roll, when he's all blue, he'll sometimes shout about how the game must be bugged. :allears:

edit: You can also shout at Higgs during the inevitable mano a mano with him and there's a few lines if he's not currently monologuing, which he like always is. Did you know you can jump over his scanner ping to remain in stealth like you can MULE poles? He gets comically mad if you do.

That's so cool. I should've expected it since this is a Kojima game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only ever used roads and ziplines for the side deliveries and always trekked everywhere for plot stuff, my favorite thing in this game was just to slowly walk around the gorgeous world in silence and if one of the songs started it immediately became a memorable moment.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Chapter 6 spoilers

Did I miss something with Sam starting to call BB "Lou"? I'm in Chapter 8 now so I understand the choice of name but the first time I remember him using the name was in the cutscene where Deadman takes Lou and I was really confused for a moment. I feel like I missed a line in an earlier chapter where Sam said "y'know I think I'm going to call you Lou" or similar.

Yeah I don't think there's a moment for that, it just happens. I think the point is for you to wonder why that happens too until it's revealed eventually.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I understand the argument, but vehemently disagree with it, that this game is "just" a delivery simulator. Even with setting the plot and combat aside, the delivery aspect is so much more. You don't just walk from A to B, you also think and feel your way from A to B. One of the bravest things this game did, I think, was to make it both dull and engaging to trek across the game world. And I say this as someone who would happily remove all the BT and Mule encounters from the game if I could and it wouldn't lessen the impact at all.

To me, Death Stranding differs from other open world games in that in any other game, despite how beautiful the world may be like in, say, Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll still sprint or ride my way through it to get to the good part. The world is cool and all, but it's just backdrop. In Death Stranding, the world is as much an element as anything else is. Overall, DS might be blander than other open world games, but that's only because it elevates the backdrop to be a much more significant part of the greater whole and it has none of the "let's just get to the next place as soon as possible" stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Reading this makes me wonder if you'd like SnowRunner as much as I've ended up doing

I've thought about getting it but it is a different kind of toil. Not necessarily a less appealing one at its core but it does lack the cool sci-fi setting and of course, Kojima. Still, I'll check it out if I get a chance.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey right after DS and really felt this. It's an even bigger world, the environment is beautiful, but you can just climb up and jump down almost every surface and every terrain is exactly the same feel, regardless if it's mountainous or flat or has lakes or whatever, it's all the same and feels very flat. The terrain mechanics in DS mean that the experience of traveling through the snowy mountains is very different from the rocky plains or the plateau with the ravines, and honestly it's the only open world game I can think of where those terrain changes feel like they matter.

Right? It's such a simple concept to make the world feel like an obstacle but it's tremendously effective, where other games try - and often succeed, to be fair - to make the world an element to empower you by making it easy to conquer from the outset because it's just "the world" on your way to the good stuff. But for a human the world is harsh. It's not inherently hostile, but it is indifferent. So traveling isn't easy, it takes planning and effort, and Death Stranding knows and absolutely nails that. An open world game where every step matters is a hell of a thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

THE ORANGE reference, my goodness.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I donít get the referenceÖ

Also I hope itís not only for PS5, and that it will be on the 4 as well.

One of the cardboard boxes in MGS2 just read "THE ORANGE" which was a source of much hilarity.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MGS2 had Substance and MGS3 had Subsistence too so it's not unprecedented that Kojima goes back to a game to add and tweak stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's a surprising amount of content.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Landing thrusters! Buddy Bot can take you to a destination while you take in the scenery! New music! Sneaking missions! Ultra extreme ramps with tricks! Racing VS ghosts of other players! A weird dark upside-down crab whale room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Yoozt03sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well this sure would be a thing

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1431982317338300420?s=20