Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Donovan Trip posted:

remember when playstation 2 was so advanced Saddam was using them to create guided missiles? This was an actual thing in the news in 2000.

I think the US did make a super computer out of PS3s, because their idiotic blast core whatever happened to be a cheaper substitute for whatever some kid of super computer needed

edit: https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spite posted:

yeah he's definitely going for something like that. but i dunno if it's going to be more than "hey this word sounds cool and has something to do with mirrors."
though your two hands are chiral objects. which might be why there's 'hand' imagery everywhere.

In physics chiral objects are things that either have left handedness or right handedness... to describe this type of symmetry

but actually 'handedness' was the concept that came first as chiral comes from Chir, the greek word for 'hand'

There are some particles which don't exhibit chirality, and some where their right handed variants either fundamentally cannot exist or do not interact with other particles in our universe, meaning there could be a literal mirror universe that they do exist in superimposed on ours albiet with different physics which is inaccessible to us

You can think of it like, if I spin this top to the left it spins just fine, but if I spin it to the right it blips out of existence, or blips into a mirror universe

Interestingly a woman from near Shanghai who was married to Yuan Shikai's grandson was the first to prove this but experimentalists rarely get the fame of theoreticians, especially women of color

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 23, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Donovan Trip posted:

gd what the gently caress is happening in this game arghhh my interest could not be more piqued

its cause they played 10 hours of the game, leaked impression, beat the game, leaked impression...

edit: spoilers are easy enough to find maybe we shouldn't share anything here

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 22, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DaveKap posted:

Okay so I'm trying my best to stay away from finer details and points about the game because just discovering new mechanics is a fun/spoiler thing for me. I'm weird.

That being said, I do want to know one specific thing. The vehicles. Do individual vehicles have mechanical upgrades and/or cosmetic upgrades? I really like the idea of just kitting out a sweet rear end van and roaming around the plains.

Looked like you can at least pick the color of gear.. seems the preorder stuff is just adding 'gold' as a color to everything

I saw a review with a giant fuchsia 4 wheel vehicle so maybe vehicles too

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
forum error

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 2, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

publishko posted:

For real. That dude does not give one single gently caress. Definitely doesn't deserve an early copy :colbert:

I think the kind of people who save their elixers well past the final boss of a game "because you can't buy more" are going to hate death stranding
The kind of people who run strait in FPS games shooting, dying, respawning their way through the level are going to hate death stranding
I also think the kind of people who mash buttons in fighter games are going to hate this game
This streamer seems like all of the above

He's making every route a straight line from A to B, just running straight, maxing out carrying capacity, never using ladders or ropes, running straight through every enemy camp and BT infested area

The game is definitely about strategy, when to use items, how to plan your trip, what to carry, how to navigate enemies. If you just hold sprint and head in the direction of the delivery with full encumberment every time you're going to be playing a very frustrating game.

A lot of the early preppers seemed to have dropped items just outside their camps and he always grabs it after making the main delivery and sprints away, carrying it to the next prepper, rather than turning around and spending 30 seconds to deliver it.

I see why reviews are split.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
and the lovely streamer just completed it maybe 3 minutes ago [spoilers on how to complete it] you just walk straight to the 'house' and as long as you don't fall or take over 30 minutes it's good, so no special carrying technique required. No one even comes out to thank you, you just open a game menu and click 'deliver item' and get the xp. The streamer took about 4 minutes to complete it.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

getting this one ready

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The giant bomb review squad admitted that 2 out of 3 of them didn't even get to chapter 3, then admitted they didn't know if geology or geography was what a map shows you, then said america looks wide because of mercator projection (or was it greenspan projection... no wait greenland.... greenland looks big) in an extremely unconfident voice, trailing off and saying "thats a conversation for another day".

Realizing they had given away their low IQ status they quickly ended the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPBnDDtvQ8&t=4628s

Also said they like kojima games because of unlimited ammunition weapons and "mowing dudes down, rambo style"

2/5 ok, I can accept it

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I've actually shot an indie short film that GDT funded, which started from someone tweeting at him. The man is incredible

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This game is obviously Stalker not Solaris wtf

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Stalker, the movie where you walk around a dystopian natural landscape, littered with rusted cars and tires, where seemingly normal looking rocks might spell out your doom. It has like a 15 minute scene of people just sitting on train tracks going deeper into the tundra.

Solaris, a movie where a guy hangs out with his parents at their house on earth and then hangs out with his wife on a space station.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

80% of stalker looks like this, just trying to find the right path through this landscape is the existential crisis plot of the film

80% of solaris is just hanging out here

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't care if there's already a stalker video game, this game is the stalker of video games goddamn it

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Vikar Jerome posted:

feel like thats what the title was meant to be but they got couldnt remember which one was which i guess

Death Stranding: The Stalker Of Videogames

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Modest Mao posted:

In physics chiral objects are things that either have left handedness or right handedness... to describe this type of symmetry

but actually 'handedness' was the concept that came first as chiral comes from Chir, the greek word for 'hand'

There are some particles which don't exhibit chirality, and some where their right handed variants either fundamentally cannot exist or do not interact with other particles in our universe, meaning there could be a literal mirror universe that they do exist in superimposed on ours albiet with different physics which is inaccessible to us

You can think of it like, if I spin this top to the left it spins just fine, but if I spin it to the right it blips out of existence, or blips into a mirror universe

Interestingly a woman from near Shanghai who was married to Yuan Shikai's grandson was the first to prove this but experimentalists rarely get the fame of theoreticians, especially women of color

This is my post from August, and the Heartman email from chapter 2 confirms this is what the BTs are made of, particles that spin the wrong way. They're basically antimatter and that's why there's an explosion when they eat us

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Kojima's director's fee is $20 million

idk but I bet he pays himself well

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

pmchem posted:

my understanding of this game based on twitch and reading about it is:

Death Stranding has you roleplay a social-media driven Amazon delivery guy (with guns) in a post-apocalyptic world, through a series of elaborate fetch quests. At the end of the game kojima shames you for putting this much work into helping people in a game but not in real life.

mostly accurate?

You’re also comcast/spectrum/whatever and help people set up their broadband internet

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

homeless snail posted:

The world of Death Stranding is pretty much post scarcity, its pretty sick. Its like an anti survival game because you always have access to the things you need and never have to struggle as long as you're Living In A Society

I like that in the lore, once humanity went post scarcity people went a little nuts, so they instituted a global 'like' system that kinda replaces the feeling of reward that money once gave.

Couple post scarcity anarchic communism (each city voluntarily joins or leaves the CSA network, builds roads etc together in tacit cooperation) along with the horrible horrible alienation of modernity and you get Death Stranding's world

It's both absurdly basic social critique and well thought through and I Love It

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ymgve posted:

Heartman is the most powerful person in Death Stranding. He has the ability to subtract likes. No one should have that kind of power.

I finally built the full road network, but sadly there doesn't seem to be any achievement for it. I'm all geared up for pizza delivery though.

If you hurt the other porters walking around the world they also subtract likes

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

MGS2 sucked because it was a game that was 90% about accidentally cartwheeling into the prone position and being murdered in between ten minute long Codec calls about incest, a generation of nerds thinking it was transcendent genius because it was the first time they were exposed to 80s and 90s postmodern cyberpunk concepts like "people can lie on the internet" and "a work of fiction can acknowledge that it is a work of fiction in a way that accentuates its themes" is more about their failure to express basic information literacy than anything else.

The absurd need for nerds to call video games art and not accept that they are the modern equivalent of a board game or logic puzzle (or worse) is basically countered by a few games and although the content of MGS2 existed long before in other media it was a game that at least pulled off having a narrative, themes, and reflecting on the logical outcome of current trends... and utilized the medium to do it (both as a commercial product and as an interactive game). It also made fun of the player's power fantasy directly in the narrative, which is something I haven't seen as often.

If anything the first 8 or so chapters of death stranding are a denial of power fantasy and I think that's why many people didn't review it well. The gameplay is that you're loving struggling even if the in world narrative is you have some god like power to come back from the dead.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
there's a point in the game where you won't be able to see BTs for a while and that made them right fuckin scary again

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m at that part right now and they’re about as scary as invisible traffic cops ticketing you, except the ticket is only for a quarter and you are required by law to walk three hundred feet back the way you came to pay it. I do get surprised by them, but not scared.

None of the enemies are really scary anymore, but at least the Mules are fun to punch in the face. BTs are boooooring.

I'm on hard mode and even a full clip of ammo doesn't kill a normal BT. Takes a couple grenades. fighting multiple lions is a no go unless I'm decked out for war

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Also hard mode is really dumb because you just really want to avoid combat, even the mules take 3-4 punching combos to knock out... And they can knock you out pretty fast.

As far as I know hardmode only tweaks combat making you weaker and them stronger

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think they say the strand is some kind of bio ID, no?

which of course doesn't make a lick of sense

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
does each hotspring have its own song

I noticed by the doctor sam sings in japanese but he whistles ? by the craftsman

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

The deliveries were to him, though! They're him wanting me to pick stuff up and bring it to him. That's why I ask, is because his rank didn't go up at all after doing three of these. Maybe he's just a tough old guy, I'll try it the other way around.

There are several preppers who don't want to join, like the novelist's son, you have to do a delivery and then go read their email in your room, which will update what to do for them next.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Are there hoods other than the otter? I just leveled up and the little placard seems to show sam with one I don’t have.

there are a few hats

There's the gas mask which replaces the otter hood and looks like a space helmet, but uses battery, and there's a santa hat to replace the bridges hat

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Donovan Trip posted:

It's surrealist you Philistines

Surrealism was a movement of largely communist writers and poets and, later, painters, sculptors, photographers and like one film maker (Buñuel) with a manifesto you had to largely agree with. It largely dealt with using the immediacy of thought and avoiding contrivance or symbolism. If you ask "what does this tiger symbolize in this Dali painting" you don't get surrealism. It's just a tiger. Why is it there? Because he felt like painting a tiger there. Dali was kinda fringe surrealist though and didn't buy into the communism thing, and defended it that surrealism wouldn't adhere to its own rules dogmatically.

It's like exactly the opposite of Kojima.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Also this game seems pretty out there to westerners but I think most Japanese stuff that seems "creative" or "surreal" is just derivative of other Japanese stuff. A lot like Dark Souls owes a lot to beserk etc. Mario seems to have its own world but as a japanese kid you'll know what a tanuki is etc.

This game is filled with death symbolism. In asian culture you don't go "up" to heaven, you head "west" to heaven. Sam has Hari Kiri scars on his belly. A lot of his ideas and references are even more explicit.

You could even be more reaching and say everyone lives in tombs and Sam has to bring them offerings, without the mules the above world is absent human life, they are all in the underworld.

He's creative in how well he combines things and how believable he makes them, how much he makes them his own.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

that's probably the underlying symbolism but the way more explicit one is that they're c-section scars

That's not where the uterus is, a c section scar is a singly horizontal one well below the belly button.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

5er posted:

The number one thing I want to get rid of, is the jarring, annoying pause when you get sorta near BT's, then the really annoying odradek spinup scene when you are definitely close to BT's. It really isn't necessary to see it EVERY time.

I'm guessing it's secretly a loading screen, maybe the BT particles take up too much uh... memory or something

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Odradek as described by Kafka in his story "The cares of a family man"

pretty sure Mama is holding this exact thing in all of her scenes

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I guess another theme that jumps out to me is the fact that living people leave foot prints as they travel (there's footprints everywhere you've ever walked) and dead things leave handprints.

I wrote before about Chirality but maybe I'll rewrite what I was thinking about... Modern physicists discovered that the fundamental things they were studying were not forces or particles but actually symmetries... A mathematician named Emmy Noether realized that every conservation law implies a symmetry and vice versa.

What does symmetry mean? If we rotate a perfect sphere 90 degrees, can we tell that we've changed anything at all? No, so we say a sphere has rotational symmetry. If we rotated the universe 90 degrees, I mean everything in it, could we tell? Would any physics change? No. This rotational symmetry, it turns out, mathematically implies conservation of angular momentum. We can slide the universe 10 feet to the right, translational symmetry, implies conservation of momentum. We can start the big bang one year later, again no change, time symmetry mathematically implies conservation of energy. These are sorta the easy ones, there are much deeper symmetries which give rise to both the electric field and charge conservation etc.

One result of symmetry, I guess, is matter / anti matter. The universe, for some unknown reason, doesn't respect this symmetry perfectly. An electron moving forward in time looks identical to a positron moving back in time, change the charge and direction of time and you have indistinguishable systems. In fact electromagnetic quantum field theory presumes anti matter is just matter going back in time. But for particles interacting with the weak force, another property needs to be reversed, their chirality.

Chiral comes from the greek word for hand. Your real world right hand in a mirror is symmetric to your real world left hand. That's why something which does not have mirror symmetry is something we call chiral, it's hand like. It turns out particles have chirality, related to which way they 'spin' as they move through space irrespective of relativity. You can imagine that a clock in a mirror would have its hands spin counter-clockwise if you were to somehow reach into the mirror and pull it out into the real world.

This is the standard model of physics and besides the graviton (not listed and isn't well understood even though we know where it goes on this chart), everything in our universe is made of these fields. Protons and neutrons are made of up and down quarks, held together with gluons, for example. You can reverse the charge of all of these and get their antimatter forms, which are also much rarer in our universe for unknown reasons.

A bizarre fact is that for some of these particles, their antimatter forms also necessarily reverse their chirality. It seems in our universe, left handedness is preferred for matter (and right handedness for antimatter), so for neutrinos and interactions with the weak nuclear force, right handed variants seem to not not interact, or maybe not exist. Some say they could exist in a universe that's parallel but not interacting with ours, a kind of hidden mirror universe.

Kojima's lore is saying that right handed matter is what makes up the BTs and the land of the dead, and why there's a huge release of energy when life and death meet. I like the hand symbolism even though in physics chirality has more to do with a kind of rotation like the hands of a clock. Hands definitely represent 'the other side' in this game tho.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The game pretty clearly expects you to lay down the final materials for 90% of your own roads as party of the gameplay, since roads materialize all or nothing once they have the requisite amount. There's only a few that, even with the online giving you a lot of free resources, need multiple truck halls to activate. As well as only a few that show up without you to top them off.

To be honest I think the pacing of this game would be better if it didn't expect a leaning tower of deliveries from the third or fourth mission and the "network strength" went from having a few ropes, ladders and bridges in an area once on the network to the host of bullshit placed everywhere (loving trucks everywhere) that you have maybe once an area is 5 stars... or something else.

Pacing and not length is a huge issue with this game

edit:

wishful thinking but the first mission, before you can even carry things on your arms and legs, as well as the mission to the incinerator after, have the best walking-sim vibe in the game. I really wish I could return to this design:

and turn off all the online structures.

Besides that, you get things so fast, there's less sense of accomplishment and progress. Maybe give me grenades No. 0 first, then 1 and 2... maybe in chapter 8 start giving me guns only after the mules start shooting. Give me the strength legs for a long time, then speed, then the one bike I have to keep track of, then at endgame give me all the trucks and ability to call new stuff into being at will. It's endgame sandbox mode too fast, especially with ziplines. Roads placement is paced well, I didn't finish those till I had already crossed an area several times. I feel like even using your arms and legs to carry small boxes should be an upgrade of significance, or being able to stack a 150kg tower. I like how late the backpack upgrades seemed to come, I didn't know I would get them and when I did I found them really useful.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 18, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do not think of Kojima as a mere “storyteller”, he is a Pholosophineer. This generation’s George Lucas

He's japanese Paul Verhoeven, OBVIOUSLY

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if you eat the cryptobiotes you make more grenades when you poop

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t recall a cutscene either so I figure he just decided to out of the blue.

I actually prefer it that way. I want more story unfurling during gameplay and less in cutscenes

To be honest I think it is a story element, the weird animations in the room like when BB bursts out or becomes Deadman's face, the heartman BT that grabs your feet, etc are all in universe. The game repeats over and over that chiral exposure makes you hallucinate and dooms sufferers have it worse. The Geologist / paleontologist talks about being grateful to get medicine from you before he got to the suicidal phase.

I think his sudden naming of BB as lou is missed by him and the other characters. Sam is a little insane and a complete emotional recluse, he has the personality of a stereotype of a homeless person in modern day.

Maybe it's an artifact of the game's development, cutting a scene to highlight him naming the BB, without going back and re editing other scenes, but it works just fine in the narrative and character as is. When you lose BB for a chapter he regularly still talks to it, sometimes realizing too late that BB is no longer there. It's the first connection he's had to someone and he's mentally unstable.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mules are people too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
do you often invite the delivery man into your house when he brings a package