Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Dead Space: :sever:-ed :smith:

1. Giant Bomb started to dive in quality when they split into east/west, it was all downhill from there.

2. Does this game play well at 30 fps? I'm really tired of getting suckered into buying console games that run at 30 because they look cool and then have total crap analog stick movement/acceleration/etc you can't turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Bummer, looks like the game is locked to the region where you bought it as a lot of PS4 games are these days, so changing your PS4 region to play it early won't work here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

The text seems perfectly readable on my end, if anything some of the UI elements are a bit too big compared to others so stuff like the cargo screen feels very cluttered. Header text is very large compared to the menu text which I imagine probably gets a little blurry if you're sitting across the room.

Almost to chapter 3, game is very very good. Very atmospheric and slow paced but not to the point where it feels excessive. Characters in the story keep going over the same subjects multiple times occasionally but I don't mind it, it helps me remember all the weird concepts the game's pushing on me. The story itself took off like a rocket after the prologue chapter and then it immediately slowed way back down which I found kinda funny, but I don't mind that either, it was nice to get the setup out of the way and get into the game itself even if it did happen weirdly quickly. Only real complaint so far is that the menus are a little unintuitive, no streamlining to them at all. The game resorts to having characters explain what each individual option does because it's all very cluttered and every button on the controller does something in every menu. Nothing major, but I do have to remember which buttons do what every time I go into a menu I haven't seen for a while.

edit: Also my fingers are tired from holding L2/R2 all the time. It's ~immersive~ but boy I don't envy you if you've got joint pain or arthritis or something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 9, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Also I agree with the complaint that characters talk a bit 'clinically' outside of cutscenes. Y'know the parts of MGS where you're in the codec and the character is like "Snake, remember that you can press the action button (X) to mount and dismount the ladder" and they've got that tone like they're talking to a ten year old? A lot of the dialogue where people are talking at Sam while you're out in the game world is like that. I chalk that up mostly to the direction, though, the voice acting itself has been universally very good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

I have completely lost my bike at the end of chapter 2. I rode it out of Port knot City right into the first higgs cutscene, and after that it vanished.

It's not in my garage, and I don't see it in the game world.
any advice?

If you're speaking of the cutscene I think you are, it was most likely rusted and destroyed by the rain that ensues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Does anybody have any tips for sneaking around MULEs? Regardless of how much cargo I'm carrying they seem to just instantly spot me from a million miles away. They're like tiny specks on the horizon still when they see me and I get the WEE WOO WEE WOO yellow alert. It makes sense that they'd be able to see that far unlike most video game enemies out there who are blind as bats, but jesus these dudes seem really perceptive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Stormgale posted:

If you're carrying stuff i've only had good luck performing either:

Knockout every MULE, 1 on 1 STRAND FIGHT BABY

Skirting their territy so I have a lot of terrain between me and them (for example across the river and up the ridge near the first mule encampent)

Going anywhere near them with cargo and attempting to evade seems just an excuse to be scanned down constantly and they run faster than you.

Yeah, since they're constantly pinging with their scanners I think I'll try dropping literally everything (ladders n poo poo included) and see if that lets me get any closer. Until someone in this thread mentioned, I didn't even notice that the lit-up boxes on your back are the ones they wanna steal. There's lots of cool minutiae to them but the game doesn't really give you a way to figure any of it out besides diving right into danger.

edit: Fun fact about that, they actually give up the chase if they manage to get whatever it is they want. If it falls off of you they immediately grab it and haul rear end back to their camp unless you're actively trying to smack them around.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Honestly, just beat them all up when they come at you. They're not really good at combat, and they don't really gang up on you.

This is pretty much what I've been doing yeah, Reedus has a loving devastating sissor kick lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 10, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

I love that if you have a big jenga stack going on you can hold L2+R2+Square to hoist your shoulders and tackle people to knock them right over. It's way less effective if you're not carrying much too.

Also, unrelated, but does anyone else feel like the game looks worse in 4K than in 1080p? There's a lot more light reflection shimmering and the textures seem a bit blurrier, which may have something to do with the checkerboard upscaling. Compare with 1080p, where the super-sampling smooths out pretty much any jagged edge especially on hair. Did they ever say what resolution the game ACTUALLY runs at when you have it set to 4K? Horizon Zero Dawn ran at like 1400p when set to 4K mode iirc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Norman Reedus seems like a cool chill dude from every interview I've seen of him. I can see why Kojima inducted him to his ever-growing actor harem.

I do wish he would choose a different hair care product though, I thought Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead looked like a living oil spill by choice cuz it's a zombie apocalypse and stuff... but no, that's just Norman Reedus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Was thinking it would be hard to outdo the Phantom Pain "knock out a gawping dumbass by slo-mo winging an empty magazine into their face" but beating down a mule with my blown out sneakers and then throwing them George Bush-style at his buddy for an instant KO is right up there.

I found out that if you fall on a MULE from a higher vantage (doesn't even need to be that high) you will take him down with you when you eat poo poo and fall on your face. I haven't knocked anyone out doing it yet, I don't think it's even an intended tactic, but I wholly recommend trying to dive from the top rope if you get the chance :shepface:

edit: Also, if you're carrying a lot of stuff on your back, they'll do this hard shoulder shove if you let 'em and Sam will do a cartoony rear end WOAH WOAH WOOOOAHHH circular arm swing as he tries not to fall on his back like a turtle. So many fun little situational interactions as is the Kojima standard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

I really enjoy building things like roads. I built two sections in part 3 and now other people have filled in almost all the rest. Now I have a road through half the map to make it really easy to get around.

Also got my porter rating to 120+ by doing that.

Here's me reacting live to the exact same thing, a road was the first major co-op thing I built and it immediately got like 5000 likes and gained me 25 Bridge Link levels, it was awesome. So satisfying to see people are actually using your stuff in realtime.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

How do you actually build bridges? I'm on the first mission where you have to build one, and when I get to the designated spot I'm not sure what to do. It brings up a terminal but I cant seem to do anything with it.

In general I'm very confused at what the game means when it shows me a prompt to hit options for "structure menu" because it just seems like the same menu that you normally get with the handcuffs.

You have to hold the options button. Note the little ring around the button (that you can barely see because the options button itself is a big oval). It trips up a lot of people, myself included.

This wouldn't be a problem if the game used the MGS5 (I think?) button hold icon which literally says 'hold' under the prompt. No idea why they did the outer ring thing since the holds activate so fast anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys. yeah I was just tapping options. That is really confusing lol.

It's okay, I will never stop hitting the Circle button to confirm my cargo layout instead of X (thus canceling my changes) because Circle is "leave this menu" in every menu except the cargo layout menu. So many clunky UI choices you just have to remember are there, it's real unfortunate.

edit: vvv lmao I also fatfingered the yell button in BT territory once and froze as if I were ten years old and I'd just broken a priceless vase

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 10, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

I can confirm other people can still contribute. I got half the materials for a road into the pod, and by the time I came back an hour or so later I had gotten a popup saying someone else had finished it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

There are little bits of characterization scattered all over the place. For example, Sam doesn't get annoyed or pull away when Amelie touches him. Die Hardman doesn't make the mistake of touching Sam like everyone else he meets because they already worked together for Bridges I so they know each other. The random old guy prepper actually warms up to you and the idea of joining the network if you just go talk to him every now and then even with tiny optional deliveries.

Characters don't need to constantly be literally saying 'hello I am Die Hardman I have a goofy name and here's why I think America should be reunited', you can surmise that stuff for yourself. Or maybe just have some patience and he'll tell you when it's important for Sam to know his reasons, and so on and so on. Sure it's a bit grating that a lot of your interactions are just people explaining game mechanics to you, but that eases way off as your toolkit increases and you stop getting new toys every 5 minutes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 10, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Is the pursuer you have to fight/evade when you're caught by BTs randomized? For me it's been the big ol gribbly squid every time. Someone told me it was based on your birthday, what constellation you fall into- apparently they fought some kind of lasso throwin' scorpion and are perhaps coincidentally a scorpio... but I don't fit any of the ones the game lists. (Aug 25, so I'm a Virgo, one day after Kojima's birthday!)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 10, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

The game also doles out stuff built by other players very intelligently. Before you connect an area to the network you can't see other peoples' structures at all so everybody has to hoof it the hard way their first time. But once you do, connecting structures like highways are built slowly as you do more plot missions or deliveries in the area, a giant world spanning highway isn't gonna just pop up as soon as you reach a waystation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Bean posted:

Is there a streamer who plays this that would be good to watch? Id like to watch some of the game before I buy it.

I know what you all said but I still want to watch some first

I've been streaming it and people say it's been very different than the way "big name" streamers are doing it. I'm soaking in the atmosphere, taking the game at the pace it expects you to, and I actually care about it and pay attention. Hopefully that's enough of a sell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Lol end of chapter three I took the nuke to the town and blew it up

Yup, same here. I misinterpreted the directions - Die Hardman tells you Fragile is waiting for you in the distro center near the town and you should go talk to her, then you immediately get handed the nuke and are told it's for her. Therefore I figured I was supposed to take it to the distro center as if it was normal cargo and meet her there, just extremely carefully, because the distro center is outside the city. Nope, turns out it counts as being inside the city and I got blown up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

He's right

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Panzeh posted:

"heh, you're not looking for unique experiences, obviously that's the only reason someone might not like my game"

hideo kojima, not being smug as gently caress

Not the only reason but this thread is living proof that it is absolutely a reason, people keep staring at it slack jawed and saying "this isn't for me = game bad"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

MULEs also get knocked out instantly if you bola them while they're standing in water, they just fall in the water and... not drown, they don't die, but they certainly don't enjoy the experience.

edit: Speaking of MULEs again, someone may have mentioned this recently upthread but I just got a loading screen tip that let me know that clearing MULE camps by knocking them all out gets rid of the orange map grid and causes friendly porters to start hanging out in the area. So if you want more cool hiker pals, beat the poo poo outta those MULEs. :black101:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 11, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

You'll get a special cutscene when you accept the mission we're talking about, believe me when I say the game makes it very clear this delivery is different than the rest so far as soon as it's in your hands. However: It starts from the port waystation (the first one you unlock in the second region) so just don't accept any plot deliveries from there if you want to keep avoiding it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 11, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I might have been thinking about hat color on that one, sorry

That's also the moment where they explain what the different suit colors mean and have them laid out so you can see em, so getting it mixed up is understandable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

If he were just saying Americans are more stupid, then yeah he is right: I mean just loving look at us atm

But he's also being smug because not everyone "gets" his vision, which is the sign of pretentious hack

I think you're projecting a smug tone onto his words, as are a lot of people. Pretentious I'll give you, but I really do believe there are a lot of people that WANT him to be the smug auteur with the upturned nose and see it in everything he says.

edit: In this case I think you've turned "maybe they didn't get it" or even "they didn't get it because they're not used to it" into "they didn't get it because they're inferior to my creativity" when it really doesn't sound nearly that harsh. It's just one paragraph.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 11, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

American McGay posted:

I understand it's a translation but he literally says his work "flies higher". I guarantee he thinks them inferior.

But it does fly higher, it's obvious the game had a ton of attention and care poured into it from Kojima and his team that most major releases do not receive

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Those are all true as far as I can remember. Sam has that scar on his stomach in the real world, you can see it when you go to take a shower and when he takes his jumpsuit off in cutscenes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Terminally Online Dude: Heh, now Kojima has to be responsible for the loving mess he made all on his own, what is he gonna do now huh?

Kojima: *is responsible for the mess he made*

Terminally Online Dude:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

By the way, something I don't think the game tells you: If you're carrying lost cargo that goes to a certain waystation, it'll have a little heart icon next to its spot on the map/in your compass. It'll also have a star if it's the next plot delivery destination.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

I found a harmonica by leveling up one of the preppers!!! You can play the harmonica with the shout button!! Game rules!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Also, because I know one of you has done it, please tell me what happens if you throw a poop grenade at a MULE. Please tell me they go like OH GOD NOOO and get all disgusted

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

precision posted:

Watching the first bit of your stream was the main thing that got me to buy this game lol

:tipshat: That's why I do it, partner. I've really enjoyed streaming the game, helping people understand that it's really not as incomprehensible as the marketing made it feel like it'd be has been a joy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Without knowing this game's but knowing Kojima, no. I bet there are loads of sneaky little cute things we will all discover over time though. I've wondered if doing things differently in some fights might make small changes as metal gear often changes things up slightly depending on your propensity for lethal force.

This is the case, at least for some minor dialogue stuff. Chapter 5+ spoiler: When making my way to the mountain I ran across the first terrorist camp, and was unable to sneak through it. After I got away, cue Die Hardman talking about how I've been noticed by them and am probably on their poo poo list now for fighting some of them on my way out. A friend of mine also just played that segment and didn't alert anyone, and Die Hardman's dialogue was different- something about continuing to avoid them in the future.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Also can I just say Norman Reedus' designated poopin potty in the Private Room looks incredibly uncomfortable. Come on BRIDGES, not even a seat??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Something funny I noticed: The game runs at 60 fps!

...in the main boot-up menu before you start/load your game. :downs:

But hey, kinda neat. Maybe a little indicator that the game was made with eventually coming to PC in mind from the beginning?

Rookoo posted:

Only on chapter 3 but am I supposed to like Fragile? She's seriously irritating me whenever she gets in my face or enters my room.

Without spoiling anything: She'll stop being so mysterious soon, maybe you'll like her more afterward.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 13, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

You'll be able to come back after a while, but any orders you currently have will be canceled once you go ahead with what the game's suggesting.

edit: If any orders do get canceled, you can pick them up and start them over once you return to where you got them. Nothing will be lost forever. You should definitely do the BT thing first though (one of the floating ghost dudes will do).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 13, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

(Chapter 3 spoiler) How do I level up the Collector Prepper? I got him to like 1 and 3/4ths stars and it just stopped, he won't go any higher even though I did all his orders. Do I need to take orders from outside to deliver to him? I want that canvas bag!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

precision posted:

Yeah people level up when you deliver TO them, not FROM them

The deliveries were to him, though! They're him wanting me to pick stuff up and bring it to him. That's why I ask, is because his rank didn't go up at all after doing three of these. Maybe he's just a tough old guy, I'll try it the other way around.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Gotcha, thanks. It's the Elder all over again! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Modest Mao posted:

There are several preppers who don't want to join, like the novelist's son, you have to do a delivery and then go read their email in your room, which will update what to do for them next.

THANK you, this turned out to be it. This was driving me nuts haha. :sweatdrop: