Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, this thread's kinda dead.

Anyway, for anyone who isn't patient enough to wait for the graphics card codes, Greenmangaming has it for 22% off. They sent out the codes a few hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CJacobs posted:

The side deliveries are not finite, they rotate/repeat every few ingame 'days'. And moreover there are 500 individual deliveries to make and get ranked on. Pretty much every waystation has a delivery to everywhere else somewhere in its rotation, sometimes multiple.

Are there any critical normal orders? I.e. once you've maxed out a station's stars, is there any point in delivering more stuff there? (beyond getting likes and so on)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh yeah, you get something whenever you hit a new star threshold with someone. E.g. the engineer who gives you the basic skeleton unlocks the level 2 and 3 versions of the skeleton when you get to 3 and 4 stars, respectively.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

Uh how do you actually fight mules properly? I had a working strategy of just countering them to death with the strand from the tutorial area which just cataclysmically failed. The camps outside of Port Knot City rushed me twice and both times they were just too many to get them without falling unconscious. That and the spear throwing was getting very out of hand.

Is there some gimmick to them?

Once you get to Act 3 and meet the Craftsman, you unlock the Bola gun, which makes them much easier to deal with. 'Til then, just move fast and stay away.

grate deceiver posted:

I'm having a pretty annoying issue that is harshing my vibe.

Seems like whenever I'm driving a vehicle, the game pauses frequently to load some assets. At first I thought it's a memory issue and maybe I'm going faster than it's able to load terrain, but after some testing it looks like it only happens when I get to close to a settlement/bunker. In the wilderness I can drive for days with no issues. If I dismount just before a bunker and approach on foot, it's fine. But if I drive a bike, it can pause even up to three times - once when I get close, once by the entrance, and once when going down the ramp.

I had this. Do you have Memory for Streaming (in graphics options) set to High? It went away completely after I turned it down to Default. Haven't seen one single hitch since then.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What is up with the timers in this game? I've had a couple orders where I turned on Hard Mode, and the briefing mentioned a time limit of something like 6 minutes, but when I actually set off it was more like 35 minutes. This has happened consistently whenever I've done a time-limited special delivery, the actual timer is way more generous than the one I agreed to.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm thirty hours in. I'm building roads and getting likes. I can't remember the last time Deadman called me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well, I completed the highway all the way down to South Knot, and now I feel a great emptiness. I guess I could set up some zipline arteries to get to shitholes like the weather station, there's this one delivery request for like 1500kg to build a tower there or something.

Is it normal for the Delivery Time arm of my star to be way behind the others? I've been taking timed requests as often as possible, but they just don't pop up very much, at least as of Ch5.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The other night I played through the cutscene where Sam meets Mama face to face, where she talks about her whole deal, and he had the otter hood up the whole time

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm really sick of this thing crashing every four hours or so

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
After spending ages just 5-starring everyone east of the mountains, I decided to move the plot forward a bit. I connected both waystations along the northern edge of the map, raided the militarised MULE camp up there and turned all its ceramics into roads, then did the antimatter bomb delivery mission to Mountain Knot. Holy poo poo, the roads to MK are expensive as hell, that's gonna take a while. Anyway, that place was kind of a disappointment, but the journey was very memorable. Probably the hardest journey I've made that didn't have BTs in the way. On the way out, I walked east through that mountain pass to the weather station. Is that the only viable path? I'm pretty sure it was the intended path, because I got a song on my way out, but does the game prevent you from just leaving the way you came?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hell of an autocorrect there

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Strictly better. The batteries are attached to the outside of the hullchassis.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That problem will go away once you get to the central region and start building roads.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

It is done

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You should load the hell up on guns before you leave, yes

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Did you ever find the cryptobiote mega-tree? It's to the east of the mountain the Elder lives on.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
-Resources are generated continuously by all friendly stations. You can just clear them out whenever you want at no cost, although of course you have to be able to carry the resources. You can also clear out MULE camps and get a truckload or two of ceramics and metals, which is worth it when you're working on the highway system. Note that an area's highways get significantly cheaper after you hook that area up to the chiral network, because resources spent by other players in their own games start leaking into your roads.

-Chiral crystals form around BTs. You can make them spawn by defeating BTs, and get loads and loads for beating one of those BT bosses. Like the other resources, they are generated in friendly stations and can be removed whenever you visit (and unlike the other resources, you can carry unlimited amounts of them without penalty).

-Don't kill people. I'm not super clear on the mechanics; I think some kills require you to deliver the body to an incinerator while others are an immediate game-over. Honestly it's pretty hard to kill people unless you set out to do it.

-You get stars for fulfilling the criteria the client asked for. Almost always, the cargo needs to be in a good condition. Some requests give you a good rating based on speed; some do it based on quantity. The better rating you get in a delivery, the more likes the destination gives you, which allows you to level that outpost up faster. Also likes contribute to your overall level and stats, but the stations are the main thing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly, you never really need to. I was just fussy about picking up floor-crystals, and occasionally cleaning out stations when I passed through, and I never had to think about farming them or anything.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

dantheman650 posted:

I got this game recently and I’m in chapter 3. Some things are starting to make more sense.

What’s the point of supply requests? When would I want to use one versus just making the thing myself?

Also, tips for fighting mules? The tip that keeps popping up says use L2 to ready the strand and R2 to tie a guy up. But I don’t see any animation when I press L2 even when it’s equipped and I’ve never gotten R2 to do anything. Sam just stands there.

-There isn't much point. I guess it could be useful in certain situations where you can't risk hiking to the next station over. Do one for the cheevo I guess.
-Fighting mules sucks until you unlock the bola gun, at which point it becomes fun and profitable. I'd suggest you try to avoid them til then. Anyway I don't remember the strand controls all that well, but I think the idea is to hold L2, then tap R2 when you're close to stealth-takedown the MULEs (or parry them when they attack).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I sort of stopped noticing the stupid name stuff after the first five hours, but Cliff explaining that he's like a cliff killed me

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hi I'm Bridget Bridges

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's no way to see the weight limit in your menus for some reason, but you can see how full the truck is based on the lights on the back end, visible when you're driving. Note that MULE trucks have kinda lovely capacity. Bridges trucks have a volume limit, but no weight limit.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All roads are useful.

I forget, have you linked up South Knot by that point? Because once you link a region, other people's contributions to your roads start to count. That's the only reason not to build a road as soon as you can afford it, it's a pretty significant discount. The only mechanical reason, anyway, discounting people who just don't like playing with roads.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fat Samurai posted:

- From what I've seen, linking a region triggers a dump of materials in the corresponding roads. Is that right, or am I imagining things?
- How bad is the timefall degradation? Roads are a big investment, at least so far.

-Yeah once you're linked to the network, other people's road contributions will start showing up in your game. It's even possible for a road to be completed with no input from you (but you're better off doing it yourself IMO).
-On ladders and ropes and stuff, it's pretty severe. On roads it may as well not exist. I took like a hundred hours to finish the game, across three months, and my roads never got below 50%. I think that other people's repairs partially heal your roads; not sure though.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

When Lockne gives me the cold shoulder do I just hike back the way I came?

-Yeah, you're going to need another mission to bring her around. You can go back the way you came, or you can go east through a mountain pass to the weather station. The second option is probably harder, but you get a new song out of it at least.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got a ton of likes from the one I put on one of those ruined buildings east of Mountain Knot, great sightlines and a real bastard to get to by foot

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I did not discover learn about covers til the postgame

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly, a road to the Weather Station is more impressive than a road through the mountains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Sam, this is Die-Hardman. Did you know that, when one is animated by the spirit of stunts, one can fall from a great height, without being harmed? In other words, when you use one of those new stunt ramps, you don’t have to worry about damaging your cargo! Lysander Knievalman can fill you in on the details; I’m sure he’ll give you a call sometime.