Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Got the game.

I'm excited for the buildy stuff that seems to be coming but I can definitely see why people didn't care for this game. The gameplay is pretty thin and I would actually like more exposition to fill time during runs.

What I'm in it for is the world building and story though. I would love a book set in this universe, going over what happened, why, and what happened since. Like Seveneves or World War Z. I'm 6 hours into the game and I still had to look up what BT stood for and what they were supposed to be other than ghosts.

Apparently the very first BT came out during a C-section of a mother who was brain dead. That's metal as gently caress and would be crazy to see (assuming it's not in the game already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I think I finally understand this game. Started chipping away at Ch.3 some more and ended up loving dropping likes on everything, hauling stuff out to people's sites, and gettings tons of likes from rebuilding roads. Leaving rope behind for people off the beaten path is fun. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

Before I had only like a vague idea of what I was even doing and it honestly felt like a hallucination sometimes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Just checking, the roads are canned right? Or does the desire line apply to them too and they're procedurally generated?

I've been getting crazy diminishing returns on my likes. I build a road out and I used to get 10k likes, now its' like a 100. This is even when it's fresh.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

This game owns so hard.

I'm in a WW1 battle and I'm running around with blue glowing future poo poo, a giant cube of junk on my back, a baby in a jar, a baseball hat, and sunglasses. This is while I sip my MONSTER ENERGY DRINK and pop bugs in my mouth. If the ghosts are extra scary, I'll fling some poop water at them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If chiralium is of the netherworld... does that mean when Bridges builds a railroad it should be called the Soul Train?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BTs really do become kind of trivial once you catch on to how they work.

I took on one of the bigger ones with like zero prep or gear just from asking for more poo poo. Many crystals were had that day

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

President Cancer Lady can also be a Laura Roslin reference.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What's the threshold for getting your stuff into other people's games and vice versa?

I knocked over a MULE camp and took a ton of Alloys and I was just puttering in my truck full of loot sprinkling it on every zipline I came across. I'm starting to get a nice network going, but I could always use more links in the chain that aren't using bandwidth and more likes.

It seems nobody really uses my stuff that much and zipline spawns are nice but a little spare. Is there anyway to increase the spawn rate in my game or others or is it just random? My bridge link level is 72.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BBQ Dave posted:

Iím trying to play God of War and it pisses me off that I canít climb over anything I want.

I was playing Breath of the Wild yesterday on my GIRLFRIEND's switch and genuinely wishing I had the odradek to tell me where stuff was.

Seriously I even pressed RB out of habit. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

while i was truckin down the road looking for where i put my bridge to drive up to the weather station something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye, and it was some kind of black ball floating in the air shooting lighting so uh. what uh. what's that about.

At the borders of the playable area there are like floating rocks that look like barrage balloons with all the poo poo dripping from them, is that it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"BT boss when you get captured" is normal gameplay, only NPCs get insta-voided by the normal BTs

Fun fact: BT bosses are chiral crystal piŮatas. Donít fear them

I used to avoid mule camps and BTs whenever possible. I do have an infant in a just after all. Now I stopped being a coward and bust them up all day and itís pretty easy since the game (sometimes literally) throws gear at you all the time.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 7, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I must say this game is legit helping me process my work closing.

We're a really old hospital and lots of people here are OGs who worked here their entire careers, sometimes even also attending the nursing school or being born here.

Everybody is helping each other out and supporting each other and I can't help but think of Death Stranding's themes. I wish I could put signs in the hallway. I've settled for whiteboards.

Is it a coincidence the new member icon in Facebook group looks like a chiral crystal?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Asynchronous MP really is criminally underutilized. Especially if you don't actually need PSN+ to use it.

And you just know games are gathering this telemetry anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Hauling 3 kids and their stuff makes me feel like Sam Bridges

Keep on keeping on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Trojan Truck, I like it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

About to start the endgame, on chapter 8. Got all the roads built but no cheevo or anything. I was going to everyone in the East but itís its own network and thereís no unlocks I want out there. I threw all my cargo in the river because I was getting annoyed with the BTs, donated the rest of my poo poo and left. I probably will just get the Santa hat from the first prepper and power through the endgame before I get bored and drop the game.

Itís a super good game. Iím probably going to buy a Bridges sticker and put it on my guitar.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

A smash moveset for Sam would be dope. Iím imagining some sort of weight mechanic where his moves become slower but stronger based on how much weight he is carrying.

If we ever get a hero/class shooter like Siege or TF2 with character lineups like Smash he would be a good tank or supporter.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

I admit this is a little weird but I'd honestly rather not have Sam in a fighting game.

Now, a racing game....

actually. DS is pointedly not combat oriented at all.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

This game reminds me of Battlestar Galactica and I wonder if itís intentional.

A female president dying of cancer while trying to lead her people out of a crisis, and a blond woman in a red dress who is trying to make humanity go extinct. In fact Iím surprised Amelie isnít played by Tricia Helfer, she looks and sounds just like her.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DS could have used an editor, particularly for Chapter 14 on, but the core is pretty good and I enjoyed it. I was down from day one on DS precisely because it's so different and weird. Like, you spend the entire game with a jar fetus on your chest and visit the sad 1000 suicide a day man in between delivering comic books across a wasteland and peeing on ghosts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

marktheando posted:

I haven't played this game since like December. Am I going to have to repair all my ziplines or does it only degrade when you are playing?

My Zipline and road network is still pretty much ok. Keep on keepin on

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Just to be sure, once Iím in the post game thereís no need for me to ever go out west past the Geologist and I can just dismantle my zip network out there to save on bandwidth?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Has anyone else had any weirdness with zipline placement? I placed one in between Veteran Porter and Timefall Farm and it was fine, I rode it back and forth. Then when I came back it was out of range all of a sudden by 5 feet. There was an online one next to it that I rode down to get there in the first place and it too, was now out of range.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Capital Letdown posted:

This is usually a 'Go back to a private room to rest, and read the emails from that person, and the next delivery will earn stars' situation.

This. For First Prepper, Veteran Porter, Collector, and Novelist's Son never do a delivery until you get an email until you get to like 3 stars.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

just got through the whole sequence of edge knot city, and it made a lot of the game feel pointless. like is there any real reason to do any deliveries outside the mandatory plot missions? you get given enough baseline equipment to progress from the story missions, and although the upgraded versions are nice, they don't really seem to make much of a difference. i mean you can't fail boss encounters (both because you can't die and because friendly sams just infinitely chuck weapons and ammo at you) so ... like ... why would i even bother to run the non-mandatory delivery quests?

i dunno, as i look back over what i spent 50 hours doing in this game, almost all of it seems to amount to "pointless time wasting" and it's underwhelming

You do the standard orders to fill up the bars and rebuild America

I get it though. The first 4 hours I was thinking Kojima was playing a joke on us. I dug the backstory and eventually the gameplay clicked with me and now I'm 120 hours deep on my last cheevo before I get my first ever platinum.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I finally platted this sucker. Took 122 hours. Enjoyed it a lot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth I know how you feel, my PS4 ate my 30+ hour save too because of Sony's crappy file naming conventions. And I was in the middle of streaming it blind so I had to replay the entire thing in a week to get back up to speed.

I'm so psyched for the PC release. One thing I'm looking forward to is dataminers extracting the audio files so I can hear all the different things Sam says when you're just walking around. The other day I was playing and he started mumbling about how sweet iphones were.

He also says stuff like "Man I shoulda been born a mountain goat" lol

I want the codec and email noises for my phone.

Iíll be the Metal Gear Solid ringtone guy of the Covid era

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

No loving way!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Gambrinus posted:

You can zipline to Wind Farm quite easily.

My network required to get off and transfer at the start of the forest. It was late game so I was just trying to get the cheevos and bail so whatever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

Ffff I finally got the 20 Legend of Legends in each category trophy. There are several easy time based orders in the eastern area once you build out the zip lines. I can definitely get the plat now.

Don't be tempted to get S on that fat order in Port Knot. It's such a slog because you have to go through 3 forced BT areas. More trouble than it's worth, just use it to get however many points you get and move on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lobok posted:

Love watching these serious cutscenes with Norman Reedus in a baseball cap and lime green sunglasses.

Also, kudos to me, I used the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse for figuring out if two ziplines were close enough to each other to connect. Haven't touched that equation in many years!

Wandering the trenches of the Western Front in a baseball cap, sunglasses at night, glowing future poo poo all over me, a tower of boxes on my back, a baby in a jar, all while chugging Monster Energy Drink.

GOTY 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If you plan on platting it play on hard if you're just doing routine deliveries, especially if you're doing it by truck anyway. Difficulty only matters when you're fighting people.

If you get S rank on hard it counts towards an achievement that playing on medium just won't, you also get a point bonus IIRC.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

TheMostFrench posted:

This part here is really annoying for rebuilding roads. I hope a person appears at some point in the future because there are 3 or 4 pavers in there which are off the network and require like 7k - 9k ceramics each.

Try not to fill them before you get the region on the chiral network. Once you get a star from the region, you'll see contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

God no, how in the world are you supposed to S-Rank that timed delivery where you have to cart more than one truck's worth of beer across the entire Eastern Region in like 8 minutes. The only Great Deliverer here is Sam Porter Bridges, that guy who ports stuff for Bridges.

That's the only delivery I didn't care to S. There's too many forced BT encounters in the way. That mountain pass after Port Knot is some Afghanistan poo poo, narrow mountain road with all kinds of poo poo waiting to kill you.

I was just carpeting the road with rockets but they still got the truck stuck in the tar, and there's a boss battle halfway through. gently caress all that. Luckily I still got enough points from it to get the achievement.