Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, MULE's seem like such a silly idea, but how many of us got sucked in and hovered on Chapters 3 and 5 running standard deliveries and building Highways?... :ohdear:

Also the climb to The Spiritualist was an amazing thing; Total whiteout, having to rely on your map and gear all the way because visibility was non-existant.. Setting up a pair of Ziplines to tie into my prepared one at the edge of the Chiral Network afterwards was loving gravy too; You want me to get 4 boxes from the summit down to Mountain Knot City in twenty minutes as a Premium Delivery? I'll do it in five. Including the time to assemble the new Ziplines. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raptor1033 posted:

Whose dick do I gotta suck to get an introduction to the collector? Or is it just a mainline story thing?

I just found him by chance. If you mean his location, he's in a hidden Shelter in the canyon area just south-east of the Distribution Center south of Lake Knot City. You'll need a Ladder to reach the entrance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raptor1033 posted:

Nah, I've got him on my map. Just never swung by cause I assumed there'd be nothing there till I had a reason to talk to him

Just double checked my map and it says he has an order for me, so time to go by I guess!

Some of them are just functionally collectables to find rather than gated by story progression. The Cosplayer is well worth tracking down in that region too :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

5er posted:

Oh, another question regarding "Ludens Fan"... is that Geoff Keighly?

Yup. Most preppers with a title are a celebrity cameo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

I had a carrier get stuck between two rocks, had to unload it, put it into my inventory and redeploy.

Never again.

Try getting a fully-laden truck irretrievably stuck atop a rock, wheels all off the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can make the trucks jump though!

Not when your axles are both off the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

What's the deal with NPCs using trucks and getting them to lift up like 15 feet off the ground on hydraulics, but it not being in the gameplay at all? At least afaik

It's automatic. Try driving in deep water.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I spent the better part of an evening putting together a zipline from South Knot City, to the Chiral Artist, all the way up to South Distro, to Wind Farm. Also included Film Director (somewhat close) and Junkyard.

I'm almost out of bandwidth, what's the max?

A Zipline around the South Knot region is just wasteful, use a truck for that. It's far more efficient, and you can put Ziplines to use where they're actually useful instead way up in the mountains. And you're gonna really want the bandwidth for setting up Ziplines in the mountains for some of the Prepper shelters there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can't use a truck to transfer goods from Junkyard and Chiral Artist and vice versa :colbert:

You absolutely can and skirt the BT zone like it's not even there. You are a poor Porter :colbert:.

Also the low-tier BT zones are a non-issue in a truck, because you can just turn right and power that Boost to escape if you get grabbed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This Sam would like some tips, then. There's a mountain range in between the two that is majorly annoying, which is why I didn't bother with either until I got the ziplines.

From the Junk Dealer's bunker, drive your truck south and follow the hill with it kept on your right-hand side. You'll find a valley you can get a Truck through easily and have a smooth BT-dodging ride all the way to the Tar lake via a not-too-steep slope.

From the Chiral Artist's Studio, when you find the slope leading up over the hill to a black valley skirt the right-hand slope and you'll find yourself near the Junk Dealer safe and sound.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

speaking of other people laying down paths, one of my favorite examples of the asynchronous multiplayer was in early chapter 5 where you're tasked to retrieve the mineral samples by the falls near Mama's lab. people had laid down a souls-esque trail of messages to mark the shallowest part of the river, and there was also a truck there to help me through the water itself

someone also looked like they'd tried to use a climbing rope to help them with the current, no idea if that actually works

I think that's just a Standard Order, I never had to do that. Did something similar with retrieving clothes for the Cosplayer at the top of the waterfall though, and there was a string of ladders across the rocks to help people cross safely along with various signs :allears:.

Gotta try the rope though. It's a Kojima game so I'm inclined to think it'd work exactly as you'd hope. And speaking of random Trucks, I am not at all surprised at the number of them I've spotted lost at the bottom of ravines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

it's a special order, but only pops when you read the relevant email

Ahh :doh:. I really should go investigate what the "gold shiny thing" emails are too. I assume they're accumulative and it's not one thing moving between the various sighted locations?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Zipline pro route; up the slope southwest of the Weather Station, you can get a clear shot to where The Roboticist is if you slap the peak Zipline station right behind the hot spring on the cliff.

It's easier if you start from the top, of course. Just slide down the mountain, stop when you need to place the midway zipline point, and keep going right to the base of the mountain where you can add another station right at the Weather Station proper.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dewgy posted:

I figured it was masking loading times for all the crap that BTs can pull up from under the muck.

I assumed as much too. Also the Odradek really needs to be a little further out to the left so it's not obscured by tall stacks of cargo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teacup posted:

How do I request others to upgrade my structures? I remember it telling me and I can see the tool tip in my data section- just don’t know how to do it :/

Click and hold the Triangle button on them from the map screen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Since you can't get grabbed it doesn't play. If you zip to a line terminal in the middle of BT territory it will play as soon as you get off.

This is just observation, but the "BT's are nearby" animation isn't a set length. I've seen it be shorter sometimes when in the Eastern Region, so I think it's definitely masking loading stuff in the background.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FAUXTON posted:

They're wrapped up but you have to carry them on your back, to the exclusion of nearly everything else.

The incinerators are kind of distant from the rest of the game's places so you have to carry a dead body for 2-3km+ and the terrain is not exactly conducive to driving

The one in the central map has the road go right past it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If they could send another porter to wrap up the body...

They're a ticking timebomb, and it's a job normally handled by a specific team of Bridges (CDT - Corpse Disposal Transport). Getting a random porter to bag the body and not just run like hell before they go BT is about the best you can hope for.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shaocaholica posted:

How does everyone know Sam is a repatriate at the beginning? How does everyone know repatriates exist at all unless there have been some documented cases already. Are there any rules for repatriating? Like it seems you can be vaporized and you get to come back with all your vaporized gear?

His pregnant wife died in the middle of a town and he was the only one left in the resulting void-out crater.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also just generally speaking you gotta remember how fundamentally disconnected and scattered everyone is. Just because repatriates are documented at some point doesn't mean you can find them again. There's also a lot of knowledge that was lost and exists in only partial form at best, so documented cases of other repatriates might be decades old and fragmented.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I like the Trike, but I feel like it should really be more of an ATV vehicle in it's "main" mode like the Truck. As-is it feels like someone just took a motorcycle built for highway racing offroad and it suffers for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

The rear wheel drive of the truck is also poo poo for offroading, especially on hills.

In a world with blood fueled weaponry and automatic showers, is there a plot reason for there being such poorly designed vehicles in a world they're clearly not suitable for?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that; Why the gently caress is a truck clearly intended for going out in the wilderness not loving four-wheel-drive?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

I do wish distro centers had more friendly porters or UCA staff hanging around. It's really cool and feels special seeing them going around making deliveries of their own (once you clear out the MULEs), but it'd be nice to actually see them hanging around waystations resting like you can do. Just feels a bit sterile seeing eeeeeeeverything be a hologram, even the guards outside the main distro centers. And I get that sterile is the point, but there's good sterile and bad sterile and I think the lack of interaction in safe zones falls under the latter.

Considering that I've nearly driven over the rare Porters that were in Distro Centers and had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when I was boosting a truck down the ramp, I'm quite happy with them being empty.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The sensation you get from setting up a complete Zipline network to the doorstep of every destination in the Easter Region should be downright illegal :fap:.

edit: Actually, the Ziplines kinda raise a big question; If they can slingshot one loner with a couple hundred kilos dangling from a handcuff across the sky, why can't they build maglev trains to do the same between the Centers and Knots?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Oh also huge kudos to the goon that recommended building a (ch5) Zipline from the roboticist to the weather station that netted me the lvl3 all terrain skeleton in no time. This thing makes the power skeleton entirely obsolete.

That might've been me. It's a massive shortcut for a lot of jobs, I found. Especially when you need to take Mama to Mountain Knot City. Drive to the Weather Station and just Zipline your way up and over in no time flat.

edit: Also Chiral Boots are loving amazing and you should stock up on them whenever you get the opportunity. You will go from changing boots regularly to wondering when the hell the last time you had to swap them was.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I'm still a bit hazy on how voidouts work in the lore. The prologue shows the dude being eating as still alive trying unsuccessfully to suicide via gun and knife. I don't understand what difference it makes if the voidout happens either way if you're dead or alive.

Voidouts are a pair-annihilation event from a living person coming in contact with a BT (ie; something dead). If the guy managed to kill himself first, the worst there'd be is another BT among many. A corpse turning into a BT is only the start of the problem, it's when they go eat people that you get a voidout. And inside a city, it'd be all but guaranteed that that fresh BT would find a victim within minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ice Fist posted:

The reason this is confusing is that in the prologue, Sam has dialogue which suggests that if nothing is done the corpse just explodes.

But yeah, I'm more inclined to believe that a person has a to be alive to cause a voidout otherwise a bunch of things that happen just don't make any sense.

This is explicitly stated as being the case.

The reason the Incinerators are so far away is because the corpse gives off Chiralium when they Necrotize, which is toxic as fuuuck to anyone who doesn't have DOOMS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spite posted:

why can't i connect 2 level two ziplines 400m apart dammit?

Because they're both 50m outside the max range of the other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah and I intentionally don't do those, like carrying 1000 KG to the weather station full of BTs is just :fuckoff:

With about 600+ quests, you can safely just not do a lot of them

Do you mean the Wind Farm? Because the Weather Station's nowhere near any BT areas.

And you can just zoom right the gently caress over that whole lovely forest with a single Zipline if you upgrade one of the stations and get your angles juuust right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoren posted:

There's a big BT zone northeast-ish from the Weather Station. It's on the way between there and the Southern Distro Center. I have seen it clear up so you can safely traverse it, but most of the time you'll definitely run into BT's there.

Rebuild the road south from the Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City until it swings east over the river, drive south onto the dirt, then look west and you'll see a nice safe slope that goes right up to the front door of the Weather Station. Might need a bridge to make getting to it easier if someone hasn't set one up already, but it's a safe route.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was very pleased with myself when I managed to slam a single zipline near the middle of that forest so I could zip through it.

When you're at the top of the cliff facing the Wind Farm, set a Zipline up on the ledge to your right where it raises up bit on rough terrain (it should still have LOS down the hill from here). Upgrade it to Lvl 2. You can drop a receiving station right at the border of the Wind Farm for a straight line to the front door. and bypass the BT's altogether.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh, I have another zipline at the end near the Wind Farm. I don't set foot in the forest at all. I'll give yours a try tomorrow.

I'm glad you were able to parse what I actually meant before I corrected my stupidity :doh:. It takes a bit of optimization, and luck on the part of other people placing Ziplines in convenient spots to save bandwidth, but it's entirely possible to zipline the entire Eastern Region so you're never more than a few steps from a delivery point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me or are (Chapter 8-ish) the red/gold BT's immune to Sam's blood? :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
gently caress you and your reclusive ways, mountain Preppers. I have brought you all onto my grid of Ziplines :smuggo:.

SpazmasterX posted:

Use the cord cutter. Or wait til you have it, I forget exactly when you get it.

Mama gives it to you when she wants you to take her up to Mountain Knot City.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Be patient. You can see BT's even when the Odradek is merely flapping at one if you wait a bit. Then hold L2 and R2 to huck a Hemastatic grenade right in their goddamn face :black101:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something they've done very well in terms of world design is that you never really find places that a 10m ladder or 30m of rope aren't enough to climb or descend. There's always a nice ledge you can reach midway to stand on without it being too obviously there for your use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Juche Couture posted:

I got this game 3 days ago now and I love it; I get the same enjoyment that I do from skiing around looking for points of interest in Steep.

The problem I’m having is with the multiplayer element. I’m currently only on Chapter 3. I get the point of it - cooperation makes survival in a harsh world possible. But, at the moment it completely negates any challenge, and rather spoils the desolate world feeling. Even with signs turned off, it feels like there’s so much stuff everywhere; I can usually tell the best route to a location by the positions of ladders and bridges.

Should I stick with it? I’m really tempted to start a new offline save.

What you're missing is that this is fundamentally not a lone-survivor game. It's a game about rebuilding. Having other people out and about building things you can use, and you in turn, means the world isn't as terrible and lonely a place as it was before you got the Chiral Network online.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh man is this Christmas-themed Mads scene one of those real-life calendar things because it was very good

No, it's just in the regular random pool of BB memories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

I finished my freeway 100% finally. Freeways seem to be rugged, my oldest ones look like they’re still at 95%.

My oldest zip lines have 35% integrity. The thought of having to maintain them every week is pretty daunting, and frankly I think I’m just gonna let them deteriorate and that will be the end of my time in this game.

The candle burned hot, it burned bright, but it’s not gonna burn long.

You're forgetting that your structures appear in other people's worlds too. Chances are a good chunk of them will survive through being maintained by others.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I've been killing every BT I come across by intentionally getting grabbed and then grenading the catcher, I'm drowning in chiral crystals. Can BTs be killed any other way, without getting caught, which also results in the area being clear (and sunny) for a while?

Someone in the thread a while back said that if you clean out the Gazers enough eventually they'll pack up and leave like if you killed the Catcher.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

Did you happen to have any decent shared network ziplines to help you?

I've just started building mine out and it took more than I was happy with to get over the forest and to the wind farm.

I think my positioning might be off between the first city and the first outpost too because I couldn't quite get it to fit with just 4 ziplines.

Upgrade some Ziplines to Lvl2 for an extra 50m range. Also if you delete some network structures (ie; "My First Bridge" x10) you'll get new ones spawning elsewhere and might get a few convenient Ziplines that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ruffian Price posted:

I'd recommend at least fivestarring Craftsman and Engineer, because the rewards are really good for that stage of the game

5-Star the Roboticist ASAP. The All-Terrain Skeleton is practically mandatory for the mountainous regions.