Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Just because they're his friends doesn't mean he doesn't need to pay them an appropriate advertising-funded salary for doing work for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Krataar posted:

Speaking of, if I hypothetically run over a porter with a truck and turn him into a pancake, do I need to find an incinerator?

I knocked out a mule by hitting him with my bike, and then later hit him with it again and he died. Die-Hardman called and started saying something like "Sam... it doesn't matter what happened now, but you've got a dead body on your hands and you have a responsibility to get it to an incinerator ASAP. Even more so if you're the one that caused it." Meanwhile the other mules started kicking my rear end and knocking my crap in the river so I ended up just reloading.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Connecting the network is for chumps. The real game is connecting roads.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Do you need a speed skeleton 2 to do this?

Sam can just naturally double jump if you jump while sprinting, and then hit X again before landing. I think there might also be a cooldown on it or something, I don't always get the prompt.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ymgve posted:

Hah - (Chapter 3 spoilers) - You know how you see in your inventory that you're carrying a thermonuclear device, and some people in the thread wondered how it was possible for Sam to know it was a nuke? Found a note from Higgs later in the game, and turns out he wrote that it was a nuke on the inventory tag because "who the hell reads those things anyway?"

I had a question about this Did anyone try going to the lake and throwing it in there immediately after reading the description on the tag, without stopping to meet with Fragile about it first? I'm curious if the game will let you skip to that part, and if it changes the following scene with her.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The most annoying thing is when a BT area slightly overlaps a road. Truck/Bike has its power stall for 2 seconds, continue forward for 2 seconds and get a cutscene of the scanner activating, continue driving for 3 seconds, another cutscene of the scanner deactivating happens.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

f#a# posted:

Oh hot drat, if you hold L1, your order destination will be highlighted. If you then hover your reticle over it, it'll tell you the exact elevation changes you'll encounter if you run as the crow flies at the destination!

If you then press square to place a marker while during that, a holographic gps line will appear in the world marking that route.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lmao I hope Kojima never stops making games.

In regards to the shower scenes, I love that there are like 15 unique animations for it that almost all come as close as humanly possibly to showing you Norman Reedus' dick.

Looking forward to when PC modders rip the models and discover that he is lovingly fully detailed.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tertius Oculum posted:

Anyone know where they explain the Exclamation points over bunkers and cities sometimes?

I assume its for a delivery but nothing special is really popping out in the list.

EDIT: NVM on the map it says above the icon when you hover over it. Mine just says Cargo for Sam Present, but there isnt? Orders for Sam is greyed out.

"Cargo for Sam" means there's something in the shared locker specifically for you. Something you dropped and another player picked up and took to that location I believe.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I've only had 1 road section that completed without me being the one to put the final materials in. Also with the very first road section, I put in some metal when I got there and then stopped playing. When I came back I got 20k likes from people using a road I built, but the road was still incomplete on my end.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

This auto-paver at the base of mountain that takes a total of like 25000 materials better make the best goddamn road section in existence.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Oneiros posted:

it's a story mission reward, you're not far from it now.

i wish building bridges automatically removed other constructions in the zone; i built a chain of bridges over all the chasms between the distribution center south of lake knot and the junk-dealer and having to clamber all over the drat place removing ladders, ropes, and other poorly placed bridge foundations was a pain in the rear end.

You can dismantle stuff from the map screen

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

has anyone with the plastic baby edition figured out how the hell you are supposed to attach the ludens toy to BB? or what that extra little piece of plastic is for?

The little bit of plastic is for clipping onto the back of its feet so it can stand upright by itself on a shelf. In the game there's a hole in the crest of the helmet that the string threads through, but the promo art for the collector's edition shows attaching it by wrapping the string around a bunch of times and tying it on, and that's how I did it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So for this pizza quest how do I keep it flat when every option seems to place it vertical on my back or in my hands

Edit: To be specific I loaded it on a truck to get it there, I am worried that when I pop out of this cargo menu to carry it to the bunker I'm gonna fail it

Fill up your backpack with pieces of gear so that it can lay flat on top them in the upper stack.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I have returned to the first area to poke around a bit more and...yup it's the starter area allright.

As far as I can tell someone built this bridge solely to troll other players by blocking two of the prebuilt ziplines, apparently unaware that they would be able to just dismantle it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

emdash posted:

It's good that you can hit human enemies with a truck going 100mph and it's just a knockout, or I'd have about 50 voidouts by now

Very satisfying ragdolls on that

The slowmo during the impact is so good.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait you can’t outrun a voidout when you kill someone? You have to dispose?

Storywise, Sam would survive a voidout, but it would level a massive area of the map so leaving dead MULEs around causes a game over instead.

Also repatriates only cause small voidouts if they get eaten. So if Sam dies to a BT you just respawn, but the BT area it happened in will be cratered.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I'm still a bit hazy on how voidouts work in the lore. The prologue shows the dude being eating as still alive trying unsuccessfully to suicide via gun and knife. I don't understand what difference it makes if the voidout happens either way if you're dead or alive.

Voidouts happen when a BT eats a living person. That's why Igor shoots the other guy that got grabbed, and why the voidout happens after he fails to kill himself after being grabbed.
The logic of gaming over from killing someone and not disposing of the body is that eventually they "go necro" and a BT comes out of the corpse, and then it will almost immediately eat one of their buddies who don't have the ability to sense it coming.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Listening to Heartman's podcast on Egyptian lore or whatever while you're packing stuff around would be a nice experience.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s gotta be, right? Otherwise it’s the only subtle name in the game

In the world of Death Stranding with your Fragiles and Die-hardmans, when you want to prank a pizza boy and skip out on the tip you give them a regular name.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

This was kind of a weird thing by the way. Nothing with Fragile would happen if I immediately went down to the private room. There's no way to like... call her otherwise. You have to instead go to the distribution center and THEN you'll get the cutscene. I only decided to stop there because surely that should trigger something (which it does). But what if someone is just like "well I don't need to stop I'll just keep going I guess". Why is there no way to trigger the cutscene at the first location?

Just before picking up that order Die-Hardman mentions that Fragile is temporarily unavailable for hopping, and that she's doing something at the distro center if you want to talk to her. Also if you were paying attention to the junk dealer and chiral artist telling you about disposing of stuff in the tar lake, and you read the cargo description of the bomb, then it's possible to puzzle out that you should do that to the bomb without needing Fragile to tell you to.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm just following the story so far, not playing the game yet. So when I do start actually playing which could be weeks or months from now, will my game world be filled with random stuff from people who have played before me? Even at the early missions?

The first time you go through a section lof the map it's offline, and other players creations dont appear until you complete the story mission to bring that area online.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

I don't have a first delivery for him, do I need to find a lost package?

I think he should have a "retrieve my stuff from the MULE camp and come back here" request if you just go to his shelter.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

re: higgs

i'm a fan for the boss battle alone. kojima clearly intended that to be the game's big moment of catharsis, and even though the first phase against BT-zilla was awkward the subsequent ones more than made up for it, especially the very last one. i was playing on Hard so Higgs had enough stamina for Sam to vent all his grievances on the man's face. it was like every Amazon warehouse worker who ever lived come to wreak vengeance on the suburban shithead who orders a single pair of tweezers at same-day delivery

"My hands, my feet...carry this! Deliver that! Watch him go to hell and back! gently caress you! gently caress you! gently caress YOU!"

I like how the end of the Higgs boss fight is Kojima appending a MGS5 phase to the Ocelot fist fight.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My theory based on the fact I was getting "Someone used a road you rebuilt" messages before any roads were finished in my own game is that the road progress is shared by a selection of players, but it's not a coherent group.

Like you might be connected to Players A, B, C and D. But then Player A is connected to you, E, F, G.

So in Player A's game the roads are finished and they personally contributed 25% of the materials. Meanwhile BCD have contributed 10% of material each. Leaving the roads in your game at 55%, not counting your own contribution, even though you're connected to someone else who has fully built ones.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Also, a goon mentioned it way back in the thread, but the fact that "strand" in German is "beach" and the game doesn't point that out even though it explains every other metaphor and symbol is :discourse:

"Strand" is another word for a stretch of coastline in English too, and that's the root of why whales or boats watching ashore is called "stranding." I guess Amelie could've stood to really break down the etymology of the words when she was talking about the definitions.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

That's how Japanese corporations work, Sony and Nintendo do it too. Of all the galaxy brain defenses of Kojima arguing in favor of American style "at-will" employment over Japan's basic cultural and legal protections for employees is definitely a new one I guess.

People definitely think that Konami should have fired the entire team of MGS5 as the alternative to turning their lights off and randomly shuffling them into new positions, yes exactly.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am a bit confused about the ending: ENDGAME SPOILS!

Where does Lou come from if Sam is who he is?

Lou/BB-28 is just a Bridges standard-issue BB, produced from an unnamed stillmother.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

hitze posted:

Who are these dick heads building ziplines 10 feet away from the peaks on mountains so you cant connect to it from both sides

They were probably similarly cursed by receiving ziplines that were 353m away from the peak.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Triarii posted:

I don't think Higgs is exactly a victim here - his interview logs show he tried pretty hard to convince Amelie that ending all life was the way to go.

Also Amelie may have almost ended the world but her efforts gave us a zero-latency, infinite-bandwidth internet connection so it's impossible to say whether it was good or bad

It was pretty wild when they revealed that the Death Stranding was orchestrated by Google in order to deliver on their promise of negative-latency and turn the Stadia into a viable product by sending controller inputs back in time through The Beach.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

dodgeblan posted:

also what the gently caress was the deal with

chapter 4 spoilers (Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer)

The reunion between the Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer was great- it was actually really touching! Love in the wasteland! You haven't even interacted with a non-holographic person in days and then you see true love

buuuut then for some reason the actress playing the Chiral Artist is just an extremely limited english speaker. The character isn't even written as a poor english speaker, it's just for some reason a very Japanese lady saying things that sound completely unnatural for her level of fluency.

Very Kojima thing to do get 95% of the way to creating a touching moment that we rarely see in games then loving it up with a totally bizarre unforced error

It's a super bizarre choice to not have someone else dub her lines for the English version. They try to cover it by having an email mention that she could barely speak English, but with the way the lines are written it either make you think the character is fluent in English but has a speech impairment, or removes your immersion in the game and makes you realize this is a Japanese model being forced to read an English script she doesn't understand.

In the Japanese dub did they make Conan O'Brien voice himself with really bad Japanese?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Can someone run down what the pizza thing is about? I did the first mission and then didn't do any until the end and then I did the one that was left I got the email that says he's mad at me for not doing the previous one he asked, but he wants one last one, and that he's unlocking his private quarters, and it's signed off Higgs Monahagan and whatever but what all happens if you do all the missions when you're supposed to?

Even if you did the other pizza missions that email reads the same, because he's taking about how you didn't do his nuke delivery.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Don't give up, skeleton.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Chello De Don posted:

I think it's actually returning them to the world of the dead, to be reunited with their Ka. Whenever you cut the cord of a BT, you'll receive a like from it, which reinforces the idea that you've actually just helped it. what i'm not sure on is why BTs want to go after living people so bad.

They just want to reach their hands out and form a connection with someone. Unfortunately this causes a matter/anti-matter reaction.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mulva posted:

Nothing is entirely clear, but it seems that the whole "People die, their soul comes back for the body, BT, BT hunts people, void out" part of the equation is entirely natural. The Timefall and the mass BT fields and all the SUPER crazy poo poo is because of what she did bringing Sam back. That's why the Timefall is gone when she closes off her Beach, but everyone still has their ghost powers and there are still BTs. She isn't the cause of *all* the weird ghost poo poo, she just kicked it up in intensity. When Higgs and her tell you you can't stop all this, just buy more time, they aren't lying. The universe decreed extinction for humanity, and it'll keep pushing until we are going.

Yeah the understanding of events that I have is that humanity's extinction is a natural cosmic process. It begins with the birth of the Extinction Entity who has connections to the Beach and The Other Side. She is aware of what will eventually happen, but wants to try to prevent it. BTs begin appearing and are first discovered when a doctor is performing a C-section and suddenly gains the ability to see BTs while touching the unborn child's umbilical cord, and it causes a voidout shortly afterwards.

Based on this event Bridget begins the BB experiments so she can prove the existence of BTs as the cause of the voidout, and motivate the rest of humanity to work with her to research and stop the extinction. During the experiments Sam dies, and she uses her powers to bring him back as a repatriate. This unnatural tampering of life and death apparently agitated the forces of the universe, and caused things to accelerate with The Death Stranding devastating the world, or at least she believes this to be the reason why it happened.

By the time the game starts she has given up and decided things would be better off if she just initiated the extinction right now, and put humanity out of its collective misery rather than keep trying to postpone the inevitable. To do this she has Sam complete the network and connect everyone to her. However she ultimately decides to leave everyone connected to each other, but cut herself off from them to stop the timefall and decelerate the extinction back to its normal timescale. Though it remains an inevitable conclusion.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

I think I'm at the end - I'm blue, hopefully that's not too much of a spoiler. What am I supposed to be doing? I'm just aimlessly running around and sometimes I get some dialogue. Is there no way to not have to run around for 5 minutes in between each of these?

Edit: now I'm getting a cast list. Did I gently caress something up? There's no way this is the ending everyone has been raving about??

mash the touchpad

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Lol, Death Stranding shot up to the top of IGN's Game Of The Year poll instantly after being added late and the moderator in charge of the poll assumed it was rigged by trolls and removed it completely.

What a salty bitch :clint:

The game is divisive for a reason. That reason being that it totally sucks and there's actually nobody on the other side of the divide from me.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

If I’m being honest I’m still a bit lost on how both Sam and Lou exist in physical reality

Lou is just a random BB of no significance other than what Sam attributes to them, and the connection process is actually triggering Sam's own blocked memories.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sam, once you bring that new monorail on line you'll finally put SpringKnot City on the map right next to North HaverKnot. Now it goes without saying but "mono" equals "one," and "rail" equals "rail." So get that rail on the network and make our country one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For all the Die-Hardman jokes, the cringiest on-the-nose line for me remains the Collector sending you an email with the subject "We Used to Have Things Called "Magazines"

Ride with Norman Reedus

The best email is when Deadman just segues into "By the way Sam, have you seen the movie The Shape of Water? It's not thematically connected to what I was talking about or anything. I just think it's a good movie and you should watch it some time."