Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I've been waiting to play this for so long and I've really enjoyed the four hours I put into it yesterday.

Looking forward to more deliveries tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still very much loving the game. I also discovered that I am very good at it.

It did take me a bit by surprise how quickly you cover the map. I'm only about 7 hours in, but it seems like I already covered about 1/4th of the horizontal distance. Then again, making the map even bigger would probably make it hard to keep it all interesting, so I'm fine with it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Triarii posted:

My specific approach:
1. "I bet if I'm real slick with this motorcycle I can dodge and weave though all the BTs"
2. Dodge first BT I see, run directly into second one, get attacked by giant oil squid or something
3. Struggle through the tar until the squid gives up, collect all my damaged cargo, go on my way

I'm going to go there next and I am sure that would have been my approach, if

I hadn't smashed my bike directly into a BT right next to the previous outpost on my way there. I had no idea about the squid, so that freaked me out a bunch, but I somehow managed to get rid of it by throwing out all the grenades I had on me. Cargo and bike survived undamaged too, lucky me!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Made some fan art today:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

God drat what is this game doing to me. Whenever I had a plan on a thing to do I got just got led down a path of endless distractions and never ended up doing the thing I had planned. Along the string of these distractions, I found the musician today and got a sweet harmonica out of it, very nice!

Some questions though:

Is there a way (maybe later) to get rid of BTs permanently? Right now it's really annoying to go back and forth between some of the outposts for deliveries and having to sneak through the same areas every time. I did defeat a squid at one point but the area got the BTs back pretty soon after, so that doesn't seem to help very much.

Can I get Sam to lie down in the water on purpose without having to exhaust the stamina and hope he stumbles and falls into the water? Sometimes letting the stream carry me is way faster, so I'd like to do it intentionally.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I tried to bypass the BT area before port knot by scaling a really steep cliff. I discovered two things: 1. Sam is incredibly good at climbing, and 2. the game unfortunately places invisible walls around the mountain that prevent you from climbing it. That was a bummer

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Every time I start to play this game it's suddenly two or more hours later, and every time I have a plan for something I want to do in it next, I get strung up on other things and then never get to what I wanted to do in the first place.

It's amazing and I have not seen a game do that to me since RimWorld and Factorio, and those are very different games from this.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I found it to be very nice to just dash in with a bike, take all the MULEs out, and then use one of their trucks to get 90% of the useful stuff they had stashed to the nearest knot.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Deliverin' nukes, lookin' snazzy.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Do you ever get the option to customise your uniform colours? Also, are there trinkets to have other than the little USA windmill?

I've been taking my sweet time and am really enjoying how much the game lets me progress at my own pace while still keeping what I do feeling meaningful.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Blingee: A Hideo Kojima Game

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It seems to me like the Bola gun is way better at taking out enemies than the non-lethal assault rifle, even though you get it way earlier. The rifle takes so many shots to down a dude and runs out of ammo super fast. I really don't see the advantage of using it. Am I missing something?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Roach Warehouse posted:

If you stick around too long, a tied up MULE can untie themselves (unless you get a headshot with the bola weights, or kick them while they’re down). I don’t think unconscious dudes wake up, but could be mistaken.

Yeah, but they typically stay tied for long enough that you can gun everyone down and then just go and kick em. Once they're all unconscious it's all the same.

dogstile posted:

Probably, if you hit your shots they'd go down quicker

:rimshot:

I'm really terrible at gamepad fps, and have honestly no interest in improving -- it's just really terrible.

I guess I should try and set up motion aiming with the SN30, but the contextual nature of how you use weapons might make that hard.

Definitely recommended for MGSV though -- motion aim with that game is so drat good!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CJacobs posted:

The rifle downs MULEs in one headshot and Demens in two or three. It's really good, just don't hold down the trigger at center mass and expect it to do the job for you because Sam's aim gets wobbly quickly.

Ah, yeah, holding fire is my mistake. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Anyway, today I went up to Mountain Knot. If I hadn't thought to put the bomb onto a carrier it probably would have been much more of a pain.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Bridges is a delivery company, and UCA is the union of cities that agree to help each other. They might only want to join the chiral network at first to get access to the internet and printing, but might not want to agree to join the whole 'stronger together' thing.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I did the trip up to mountain knot with Mama. What a ride. I decided to take a different route, this time through the mountain range instead of through the valley like last time, and I'm really happy I did. Caught some stunning sights that I really enjoyed.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I had a very Death Stranding experience yesterday.
https://www.twitch.tv/shinmera/clip/EnjoyableDignifiedSnakePrimeMe

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

thumper57 posted:

the ability to dismantle structures at a distance (for both the times when I left a stupid zipline somewhere that made me confused traveling my beautiful network - but not enough to trek out to it to destroy it then walk back - and for those times when some rear end in a top hat would put a time shelter 175m between two of my ziplines making them impossible to traverse)

You can do that from the cuff link map.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I unlocked the chiralium truck today, pretty neat!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The only Death Stranding merch I'd want is the Bridges hat, but that's been sold out for ages. :(

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I just got the official one as a gift and it was sort of disappointing. I assumed the text would be embroidered but it's just printed on and looks pretty cheap. Still love it and all, guess I should have expected it with it being video game merch.

Aw man, that's a shame.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Here they all are for your perusal:

https://clyp.it/user/ue0sncvw

Found that searching for the "keep on keeping on" clip.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I had a lot of fun editing this when I got the Santa hat today

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today was my last day of playing Death Stranding. Got everyone onto the UCA, got all the trinkets, and did everything I cared to do. It was a really great experience that I enjoyed thoroughly and I'm sad to see it go.

I can only hope it'll inspire other people to make games in a similar fashion, games that focus on traversal and environment. I'm also excited to see whatever Kojima decides to do next.

If there's one thing I could criticise about the game it's not the BTs or even the shooter sections, I enjoyed those fine for what they were. It's that I feel there was a lot of missed potential with regards to environmental storytelling and unguided exploration. A lot of places that would be very interesting to be able to investigate on your own without the game's prompting are either empty, or guarded by invisible walls. The world and story would have connected with me far more still if there had been things I could discover and puzzle on about on my own.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Krazyface posted:

Did you ever find the cryptobiote mega-tree? It's to the east of the mountain the Elder lives on.

Yeah, I stumbled on that when I was getting horribly lost around there.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It's very different, but the gameplay of MGSV is so smooth and fun that I'd honestly recommend it to anyone.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Matthew Matosis just did a nice lengthy review of Death Stranding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4Jh1xcOEs

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Keep on keeping on is such an integral phrase for the game to me I'm shocked it's just ganbatte in Japanese.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

dantheman650 posted:

However, the story was some primo garbage

:wrong:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yeah ziplines generally need more to do. Can't even look at the map while you're riding along.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

There is also a big message beforehand telling you they're about to despawn if you get too far away, and the individual packages scream in blink if you leave them behind.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yes.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CJacobs posted:

The game is compressed into big encrypted pack files like this:

so any time any content changes in one of these packs, the entire pack needs to be redownloaded. It could be one byte signed differently, it's gotta be reencrypted. Sadly, gone are the days where devs just laid out the game files in plaintext like die_hardman_introduces_himself_version_045346236.mp3.

This is not strictly true as Steam does do binary patching to avoid redownloading entire binary files. Depending on how they pack the files though, far more bytes than necessary can move, forcing larger patches.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

You can also see Horizon herself at one of the prepper shelters.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I have a 2080 Ti and been playing it in 4K 60fps with DLSS. Cutscenes are weirdly low FPS for me as well, and especially when the bike rumbles the controller, poo poo chugs like crazy.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CJacobs posted:

I feel bad for Sam any time I ride a zip line chain for more than a few in a row, makes me wish they'd given him an animation for shaking off his arm after hopping off one because boy that looks like it hurts. Those things yank his arm by the wrist like your mom trying to keep you from getting lost at walmart or something.

That made me wonder whether the ziplines being so boring and not allowing you to do anything at all during the ride is a conscious decision to simulate the pain of holding on for so long.

I mean, after MGSV's "phantom pain" poo poo I wouldn't be surprised.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I absolutely expected having to cross all the terrain back to the beginning and loved every second of it. :shrug:

The actual ending was also great, though I was constantly expecting to make a choice through gameplay, so I walked around the incinerator for minutes trying to figure out if there was a way to avoid burning Lou

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I specifically didn't want to use any vehicles or ziplines so I could enjoy it. Those are fun to optimise out the repeatable quests, but if you use them on what you already know is a special occasion you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Started a new playthrough on Very Hard some time back

Game still rules, and the increased wear on shoes, timefall, and stamina on very hard are actually pretty cool. Made some trips a lot more challenging and forced me to think more about my equipment and routing. Mules are also an actual threat now and I have to try and sneak take out a bunch instead of running in guns blazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Macaluso posted:

Yeah some people have said that this game is proof that Kojima needs someone to tell him no, and I say gently caress that, this game kicks rear end BECAUSE he got to make exactly what he wanted

He didn't, though. Iirc he wanted the world to be way bigger, the game way longer, etc. I'm sure he was told 'no' plenty of times during the development process of DS, too.