Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Do we all play Norman Reedus or will there be some MGSVesque way to play as other couriers, I wonder.

MGSV’s gameplay being samey is like a Rorschach test for how boring you are as a person. We were given this wild collection of tools to complete missions and it was a playground of ridiculous toys. Or you could take the same loadout every time and slog through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How important or even worthwhile are the Digital Deluxe items vs the base version of the game? Do they matter at all?

Also, do you play as Sam the whole time, or is there a mechanic like in MGS V where you could be different people eventually? I imagine the answer is "you are always Sam".

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When Kojima makes a game about running a hotel (probably for ghosts or dog men or some other poo poo idk) this will be relevant.

He made a game about being an Uber Eats driver.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Kudos to Kojima for making game where we suspect all the other real people as being various kind of bots and shills.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Multiplayer systems chat.

In the private terminal screen, you can look at your bridge links, which the game explains are the other players you have interacted with in some way. You see a list of online IDs. You can see how many likes you’ve gotten manually or automatically (I’m getting auto likes from players using my roads, and started getting those as soon as I started contributing , even before a segment was printed, so that’s some evidence that my contributions are going to other players). And who gave you the manual likes. You can also see who you have given likes to. The game says if there are players you want to keep connected to, you can initiate a strand contract and you’ll see more of their structures.

There are also cairns where you can see other players resting. Apparently the more players rest in one spot the faster we all gain stamina. And the bigger the cairn is. I’ve seen enormous cairns outside port knot city.

I haven’t taken down a list of players but I’m pretty sure it’s changing. I had to read log in to the multiplayer today and haven’t seen any of the online IDs I remember from last time.

From this I think a few things can be understood:
These are real players.
The collection of players you share a world with is curated.
It seems like this collection can shift over time, so you aren’t sharing a specific server with others.
Instead, the game is selecting a dynamic set of players that presumably gets reshuffled/rebalanced over time.
Being connected to players doesn’t mean you get to see all their structures, so that’s curated as well.
You can pick certain players to be your buddies.
I think it largely behaves like Journey as far as dynamically connecting and disconnecting shared worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

I think you can erase other people's signs from your game.

You can. I did dismantle a bunch of signs but then I got more signs. Sign spam in the entrance areas is very Internet.

Awhile ago, people were saying they’d never seen a road finished by someone else so I am here to tell you that it can happen. I have personally finished one road segment and contributed to a bunch of others and my game has 4 completed segments. I even got a notification when it happened.

I have yet to build a generator in this game because apparently my bridge buddies love building them. The landscape is covered in ‘em.