Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Wikipedia page for death stranding says that its coming out for windows as well. Has anyone confirmed this or is false info?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Stranding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just finished the game for the 1st time

Thank you all for your online structures, vehicles and shared weapons for that end run!

Edit: I will pay it forwards in the next couple of days il be putting post boxes with weapons and blood packs in them.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2019

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

It directly contradicts its themes in several places. There are great moments and the setting is amazing. The writing, especially around Amelie, is kinda trash tho.

Care to explain in detail?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

Just my opinion

The game's main idea is "connection." You don't have a choice about this - that is the gameplay. Then the plot tells you that connection is literally extinction. The gameplay implicitly tells you connecting is good and the plot can't decide what it wants to say. Sam connects everyone and learns to touch people again, etc, etc. But Sam ends up walking away alone at the end. You could say it's being subversive and that connection is really going to kill us all. Kojima is not a subtle dude though.

Amelie/Bridget's motivations make no sense. She's basically waging a war against herself which would have been an interesting thing to explore. She impulsively gives Higgs superpowers and has him blowing stuff up...while also trying to rebuild the network? If she really had decided to just end everything she'd know the fastest way to do it is via the network.

I feel like Kojima has a ton of ideas, some brilliant, some good, some crazy - and dammit he's going to include all of them!

I really don't agree

The read that connection can only lead to extinction is only possible if you completely omit the element of Amelie being representative of an authority figure within an organization/government/corporation.

Say for example: For any job you need co-operation in order to do it properly either from some other department or individuals etc... the point is you need others to do your job; now this connection between peoples produces the labor that produces the profits that the company heads/board/ceos/investors will use to empower themselves. Now these individuals empowered by the means of production that they own can make unilateral decisions that affect the whole company, and have actual consequences for the rest of the world. This imbalance of power is demonstrated by Amelie's relation to Sam. Ultimately the fate of the entire world rests on a single individual being convinced by only one other person. Like why should our lives be beholden to what emotional/mental state a single person? This isn't fair to the rest of mankind who get no say in the matter and in fact are just doing what humans do: co-operating.

In other words the connections you make in your life are exploited by a system that ensures that only people at the top get to truly decide how the world is shaped. That co-operation is how we organize ourselves within this system does not itself make co-operation an implicit evil. Because we are divorced from our labor in this sense where we do not know who or what it empowers at the end of the day: we are alienated from it. So in Amelie's case she basically Hijacks all of Americas, bridges and your efforts in order to do what she deems as "necessary". But once again that doesn't immediately condemn the idea of connecting with others to form a greater whole as the rest of the people she is exploiting in order to make this happen don't know that their efforts are being used for their own extinction.

With this in mind just think about what this means for the ending; where America still remains connected despite it still potentially being used by Amelie to enact the final stranding. But this system has to remain in place in order to empower Die Hardman's position as the president (without being elected mind you). No matter how sympathetic he is or well intended, it still has to be on a system of exploitation that has the strong potential for ruin. This is essentially Neoliberal society as it is today stripped down to its core.

It must also be remarked these systems are ultimately detrimental to the well being of those they supposedly empower as they isolate them from the rest of mankind, just like Amelie, thus causing mental distress or psychotic breaks.

As for Sam's motivation for not staying i think it has something to do with all that. The little faith he had in the idea of a nation can still ring true even if he has reconnected with the rest of mankind. He can have faith and appreciation for the people within an organization without having to like anything about said organization.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

That's not really what I mean.

Higgs has powers a year before the game starts. So Amelie/Bridget has decided to go the extinction route long before she tells you she wants to connect everyone. The point of connecting everyone was always so she could destroy everything.

She is actively working against you the entire game. She gives Higgs the quipu during the course of the game even.

So? Amelie is very much the hidden antagonist... i don't see how that is detrimental to the game's themes.

Like even on a plot level it seems to me like Amelie just gave into despair because of her isolation. So Bridget and her concocted this elaborate trap in order to end life for all time on earth permanently not just another extinction event. She just needs you to activate the network in order to make a final stranding not just another death stranding. Bridget and Amelie are both on the same page the whole way since they are in essence the same person. She manipulates you with the relationship she has with you in order to make the final part of her plan happen.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

That's my point.

The entire premise of the game and connection is a lie to make it easier for her to end everything. By connecting everyone to the chiral network you are bringing everyone closer to the beach and death. You can easily read this game as saying connection is death. I don't think that's what Kojima meant, but that's what's implied, imo.

It's not that they are basically the same person - they literally are. She says she was aware of being on the beach and in the hospital bed at the same time.

Like i said: just because connection is being used for nefarious ends does not in itself condemn connection and co-operation as something inherently evil within the purview of the game itself since everyone had to be lied to for it to happen. Its really not implying what your saying unless you strip away all the inherent good of connecting with other people does for sam, the preppers, the bridges personel and everyone else. The fact that Amelie needed deception to turn rotten what in all aspects is good has to mean something else than just "connecting with people is evil and leads to extinction".

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

That's my point.

The entire premise of the game and connection is a lie to make it easier for her to end everything. By connecting everyone to the chiral network you are bringing everyone closer to the beach and death. You can easily read this game as saying connection is death. I don't think that's what Kojima meant, but that's what's implied, imo.

It's not that they are basically the same person - they literally are. She says she was aware of being on the beach and in the hospital bed at the same time.

Listen i think we are both operating on similar notions the only difference is that i don't see the fact that Amelie changed and lied to be inherently a condemnation of the act of connection by the game. In fact i would be close to your read but not quite; Connection is death ONLY if it specifically for the sake of exploitation by some elite, otherwise its good.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
i was wondering if you upgrade a random online structure that hasn't been marked for co-operation does it still upgrade it in the original author's world too?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
For the boss fight with the tiger BT you guys know you can also set mama down inside the entrance to her lab and just proceed to fight. The tar wont get to her when she's inside the entrance

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

night slime posted:

My hunch is they picked optimal areas for stuff to be placed and the stuff that gets placed on other people's games falls within those areas...that's why you usually get sensible-seeming stuff placed around everywhere. For example, there's never anything directly on the shores, for me at least, except that you-know-what area.

What's the song Sam sings in the bathing areas when you press the shout button? Ba ba ba ba bom. Is it just some kid's nonsense or is there a specific association?

the song sounds Japanese to me, like some kind of bathing song maybe?

edit: found this https://www.shacknews.com/article/114830/what-is-the-song-sam-hums-to-bb-in-death-stranding

and here's the original song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXnucKfHEE

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 9, 2019

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Describe Death Stranding in 3 words

Me, you, together

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have a question about knocking mules/homo demens out; Does knocking them unconscious last the same amount of time as making them sleep? Also do tying them up with bolas change anything about the time they stay disabled?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Former is “yes”, with the apparent side benefit that “sleeping” they can’t be roused by friends (KO’d, if someone you missed shows up they can start a party)

If you bola them they get up on their own unless you bola them with a loving skull embrace, which counts as a KO
I knew about the bolas but not so much the enemies who are put to sleep can't be woken.

My bad, i think i didn't quite express myself well enough; I meant how long does the camp remain "disabled" if you go do deliveries/rest in a private room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

night slime posted:

I really enjoyed Metal Gear Survive when I played it. It's different but similar to DS, probably evolved from a rough sketch of the game Kojima was working on at Konami. Had a weird deja vu feeling when I was playing DS and just collecting and recycling resources from MULE camps because I remembered doing similar stuff in Survive.

Respect for giving that game a chance