Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, could I get a spoiler-free, early-game summary of how the heck I should handle BTs? I'm right at the beginning of episode 2, and all three encounters I've had feel really random- standing still seems to get me instantly noticed, moving gets me noticed, crouching gets me noticed. Scanning almost doesn't seem worth it, since the time it takes to stand still and ping usually means I get spotted. The only thing I've found kinda-sorta works is holding my breath, duck walking 30 feet away, catching my breath (and hoping like heck I didn't stop next to a BT), then repeating until I'm out of range. Is that *really* how I'm supposed to handle it early game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Do they actually have vision? I think a lot of my disorientation comes from genuinely not understanding their behavior- like, should 100% of my thing be built around sound management, or should I be treating them like explicit MGS guards with vision cones and ears?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Out of curiosity, how did you guys handle the chapter 2 mission where you have to go to the port, and pass through a long rocky area full of BTs? That was astonishingly frustrating- I was super-weighted down by cargo, most of it was necessary, and it felt like terrain didn't really play a role- I tried once sneaking straight through and once being all tricky with climbing ropes and ladders around the edge of the level, and ran into about the same number of enemies both times.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

I packed the motorcycle full of Hematic Grenades and drove very slowly up the hill. And stopped when BTs were near. Then I used grenades on them until the path was clear.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing- I may have gone a little overboard, because this was my mission loadout for my successful attempt:

Also, apparently the motorcycle approach is hilariously easy once you get good at dodging BTs without stopping to scan. I immediately got oiled every time I tried, but apparently they're slower than the bike and straight-up can't touch you unless you're me and plow straight into one.

You guys are absolutely right about it opening up though- making deliveries on roads genuinely make me feel like I'm cheating.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I got the hovering sled thingie from the weather station, am I being a dummy for not using it? It sucks up chiral crystals like a vacuum cleaner, and I'm struggling to justify making one trip with it when I could just make 1.5-2 trips with the bike.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm partway through chapter 3 and they just went "Whoops, Fragile's fast travel thing isn't working. Go move cargo from the northeast to the souhwest, also Fragile's by the distribution center if you want to talk to her." I see her icon on the distro center's console, but no mission for Sam- is there actually an interaction somewhere, or should I just go to port knot and start the next story mission?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Are you on order 38? What's your cargo? If they mentioned visiting Fragile stop by the private room in the distro center south of Lake Knot City

Yup, I'm on order 38. I haven't started it yet, so maybe that's the issue- I thought if there was optional story content related to the fast travel thingie I might skip it by accident. Since my private room in the southern distro center is (as far as I can tell) normal, I'm betting I'm supposed to start the delivery first, then make a stop in the distro center on my way back down?

Edit: Oh yeah, derp- current cargo is a bunch of random poo poo- food and medicine for the guys in the south.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 18, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I dunno what Sam has against cryptobiotes, they're incredibly- you just bleed into a water balloon, munch on one, and you're back in business!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm in chapter five and kinda feeling like I want more plot before I sit down and pour 40 hours into carrying all the cargo to all the places, are there any destinations I should max out for life-changing QoL upgrades before I press onwards? I've already 5-starred the craftsman/elder/engineer and the weather station/timefall farm.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy poo poo, I'ma grind the chiral artist like a pro once I finish my current stuff- it's really stupid and boots have never been a problem, but it always freaks me out that technically boots are a non-finite resource.

Also, this has been driving me crazy for days- every so often, usually when I'm boosting in a bike, I'll hear four beeps followed by a star trek hypospray noise and get a brief moment of slow motion. What the heck is that? It's not a transfusion 'cause I'm not hurt, it's not BTs because Sam's hand buddy is limp, I'm pretty sure it's not a battery thing, so what's the deal?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

You're in an area with timefall. The noise is your hood going up.

...so I never noticed that the beeping matched the hood going up, I feel like a dummy. Thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So the bit where BB needs maintenance and you get to do a shitload of deliveries in frustrating terrain with no radar isn't great.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I really wish that order 65 was a cutscene instead of, like, 3-4 back-to-back janky boss fights.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I finished the plot stuff, and holy poo poo that felt like it fell apart in the last 20%. I enjoyed like 90% of the gameplay and there were bits and pieces I really liked throughout, but I kinda wish the story was just "Sam is a post-apocalyptic postman," because I found that way more engaging than all the extinction and beach stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a really weird take, but did anyone else feel like a lot of the deliveries were just way too short? At least from the first gameplay trailer I was expecting them to be sprawling survival horror-y things where it's like "You have a ladder and two pairs of shoes to get over 250km, don't use your ladder early jerkface." I really enjoyed the hiking gameplay, but everything was so close together that I pretty much never felt obligated to carry more than a bola gun and single ladder + climbing hook.