Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So How does one equip the otter hood? I want to be one with the river But after the cutscene where I was given one ebded I didnt have it in my inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Ziplines; is there Any extra distance gain on upgrading both ends of a zipline or is the 350 from one end being upgraded the only extra length you can get out of them?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

night slime posted:

A 350 distance zipline would be able to reach a 300 meter zipline, but you wouldn't be able to go back to it after using it, so keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure that's how it works but going off memory here.

No Ive tested it; lvl 1 hooked up to lvl2 at 350 works both ways. Havent tested If lvl2 hooked to lvl2 goes farther But Apparently it doesnt.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Is it possible to get a zip to mountain knot from weather station over the mountains?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Just finished. Somebody needs to tell hideo Kohima that you are not allowed to continue your game 4 hours after what is hyped as the final boss by adding three more final bosses and two sets of credits with an entire chapter between the credit rolls- went from “oh I’ll finish this and go to bed to” to “well it’s 9am so guess I will play this hopefully last chapter”

The plot and plot delivery start to tumble the last 4-5 chapters. HOWEVER the very very final twist did catch me completely out of the blue, propably BC I stopped reading mail and secondary expositions at my rush.

The drive back to beginning is complete BS tho. At least central you get the benefit from the stuff you’ve built earlier on, but the east part with zillion big BTs is just a giant middle finger to the player.

Was good. Hideo Kojima is more confidently creatively insane I would have been able to even guess.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

It was hinted at on an email by heartman (?) I think like just before arriving to the edge. But yea, looking around and the unusual positioning of BTs also hinted on it pretty heavily.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Whats the deal with the recycling menu pop-up? It shows ”bridget foundation” and completely differebt design than the rest of bridges/UCA stuff. Is it intentional, or old material that somehow ended in the game?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

pmchem posted:

let's say I have no interest in being a fedex or doordash delivery guy

is this game still fun? or at least, engaging and emotionally interesting?

I liked MGS:V for what it's worth (yes I know it's a different style of game). eyeballing DS on sale at epic right now

Do you like Solving a puzzle of reaching a certain goal, or to optimize the order of multiple tasks? Do you like a plot that opens very, very slowly and runs on giving you hints and showing little by little the workd around you?

If Yes, Then you propably will. Also If you like the vibe of desolation and breathing loneliness you will enjoy it.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

pmchem posted:

ok, less than $15, I'm gambling on it being worth that much for my time. bought'd

I do like me some kojima

Congrats, you just bought the MAXIMUM KOJIMA. This is by far his magnum opus.

Come to think of it, I dont think Its an elaboration to have him in the credits the 15 times like he is; this game could not exist without kojima for multiple reasons. Biggest ofc being that anyone else trying to peddle this would be called out before critical mass of people tried tried and liked it.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Looking back I did enjoy all this; the issue I had with it was signaling the game gave me before edge knot city. The “this is it” vibe got me to think “well I guess I can finish the game tonight then”

... at that point it was 10pm and I was starting to cross the tar belt.

And I finished the game that session, but at 7am with kids waking up demanding breakfast.

So whilst most of the ending was awesome, and the very very last chapter before epilogue was amazing, the time crunch hit it bad, since it all FELT like you were on the end, so no point waiting for the next available time to open up the game, this needs to be one experience.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 23, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

There’s not that many Mads Combat hours in game tbh; and not spoiling at all I loved the plot twist about him at the very end. I did NOT see that coming, even though I propably should’ve

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Nitevision posted:

I'm not finishing this game because of the forced encounters with some of the absolute stupidest and least fun boss fights of all time. It's like I'm eating a parfait and one layer is diarrhea.

The (eventuall, actual) ending is Good though. Like Good Good.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Ye I went down from VH straight to normal for the whole finale because eff that

At the second credit roll, hope this is the real one or I’ve made a terrible error this evening

Reading this is glorious Because If you scroll back some 100 pages Its literally word for word me, I started crossing the tar belt aroubd 8pm after putting kids to bed; then at around 11 was like ”yeah I can finish this tonight” …

Lo and behold I was done at 9am the next morning, with 2 Angry toddlers screaming for attention

Kojima gets everyone.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Party Boat posted:

The endgame is very clearly signposted with a prompt to go to an entirely new area and you may even get a "you might not be back for a while" cue. It's basically impossible to miss.

And don’t worry about being close to end at that point, there’s a good 20 hours of gameplay/cutscenes at that point. So do not think that that sign means “just rush it through tonight”

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah learn from my mistake, don't hit that bit at 10pm and think you'll be done by bedtime

I was done by bedtime - bedtime just happened to be 10am next day.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Fighting Elegy posted:

Tbh I found Fragile to be pretty cool, I guess you could say Mama's sexist cause she's so sad she's not a mama to a non-ghost baby. Best female Kojima character is definitely Sniper Wolf. He got to have his cake and eat it to by having a sexy femme fatale (who's got her titties out in sub-zero temperatures) but also is a really cool character and the sexy "toying" with her "prey" actually makes the character better and is very fun.

The death scene of Sniper Wolf in MGS1 was one of the highlights ofdrama ever made in the history of manking for an angsty teenager playing PS1 - pretty much on level with the last stand and revelation of Gray Fox. I can still recall the music track for it out if memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

This interminable goddamn ending is draining every bit of goodwill I had toward this game.

EDIT: IT JUST KEEPS GOING :smith:

EDIT: Finally sweet jesus.

Welcome to ”Its only 8pm, and this seems to be the end boss, Ill open a beer and finish the game tonight”-Club!