Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Harrow posted:

I'm a little bit wondering how this game will run on a base PS4, but then I remember it's on the Decima Engine and Horizon Zero Dawn ran like a dream.

I've been considering upgrading to a PS4 Pro just because this next wave of PS4 exclusives all look like games I'd want to play and also games that will bring a base PS4 to its knees, but maybe not?

I'm gonna ride the ol' PS4 until the wheels fall off. One thing is MGSV had a PS3 version, so hey, at least playing this on a launch PS4 is closer to pristine than that. A Hideo game would rock on a toaster.

So I just watched much of the TGS gameplay, great stuff. Was gonna hold out for the release, but Hideo talking throughout was too tough to resist. Did skip cutscene stuff.

Anyways, one question is when he says stuff like leaving a motorcycle for "all the other players", how literally do you take that? How would something notable like a motorcycle be something you'd rely on other players leaving somewhere at random? And how would this work, maybe instanced sort of stuff where say 50 players all affect each others items they find? Surely leaving this bike couldn't really show to all other players, of the million plus copies it'll sell in the US region for example.

My gut guess is Hideo is kind of using that more thematically, and it could be exaggerated a bit how much you'll affect other players with items and vehicles in particular? I'm sure it'll be fine however it works, and maybe it's been explained further.

Online queries aside, very impressive stuff taking in the detailed open world, all the little systems and options to play with, and of course the immersive mystery of everything going on.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hideo has a month to burn here, game is gold, he'll cut at least two more trailers. And one of them will have voiceover by David Lynch, just speculation, would be cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hideo is the man. If I could pick one developer to lead a new game, it would be Hideo. And here's the thing, he's made a game, and the hype is rising as it comes out about one month from today. What I'm trying to say here, is there's gonna be a big game by Hideo Kojima, and it's going to be entertaining for several weeks! It took me like 150 hours to beat MGSV, and this looks like a bigger world, more in-depth and whatnot as well. Quite frankly I'm about to pass out just thinking about this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hideo and co. deserve it, give them the loot. And legit I hope this game is a big hit, and his new studio gets to flourish for a long time.

Good ol' 60 bucks will do for me. If that cargo case was a solid piece of luggage, that might be tempting. Got that Blade Runner blu-ray set, so I have at least one novelty sci-fi mini suitcase.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So much of open world games is traveling and exploring, take Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2. When done well that can be a lot of fun, very immersive. I like that they're trying something different, since do we need to run into a goon every few minutes to make that kind of thing engaging? Finding other ways to stay engaged seems cool.

Agreed that it may be divisive for some gamers, we've seen takes on that already, but I don't think that will review poorly or anything. As for me, I'm all for a game with less combat, I've taken countless digital lives this year already. The ol' trigger fingers could use some rest.

That said, we've seen that there are some MGS-esque stealth areas where you can put ropes on enemies etc. So that'll be in the mix a bit. And we've seen that you can choose to fight big monsters, although maybe you can avoid them as well it sounds like. And likely there will be boss fights that are part of the story I'm gonna guess. So even if this game has less combat in general, there's still tension and enemies in there. So it's not quite a pacifist chillax game overall.

And with so many games we're used to doing little side quests, fetch quests etc, would doing those without running into enemies be boring necessarily? Or would it be engaging for other reasons due to Hideo and co.'s attention to detail and interesting vibe, and I'd thank them that I didn't have to mash the triggers a bunch for a while? Definitely the latter, or ladder as MGS3 would say. Not that you're saying otherwise or anything.

I may end up playing this game and saying, this ruled, but I actually could've gone for even less combat. I look forward to seeing what we get, that's for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love MGS4. While you see it being considered divisive a bit on forums, I think it was a bit too well received overall to be summed up as such. It sure gets remembered more than a lot of games from around 2008. It had big shoes to fill, picking up on MGS2's cliffhanger and wrapping up Solid Snake's saga. I think MGS4 was a tough job to do, but Hideo sure seemed passionate about it to me. Bold stuff with the story, man it moved me. But everybody digs different stuff.

That all said, it's fun to think that this game could have a lot of long cutscenes, I hadn't figured that. Since that's not the trend at the moment, especially in open world games, and MGSV was so light on them. I'd love to see a bit more cutscenes here, it's just interesting to see people still expect that from ol' Hideo.

And I do think we'll see things swing back that way on cutscenes being considered okay. We've explored the idea of most stuff being "in game" a lot, watching conversations and everything play out in real time while you spin your guy around or whatever. That can be cool, but I think a well edited & directed cutscene can do a lot of other things well too. So I say let's have more cutscenes, especially when done by somebody excellent like Hideo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Back in the 90s Hideo made TV shows on a disc, like Policenauts. This guy is doing his thang in the medium he happened upon. A lot of audio drama in his games too, I love that. I put the controller down quite a bit, and I don't mind. I just can't predict what Hideo's style with evolve into in these coming years. I look forward to finding out!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I ain't widdit, I love all the Hideo games. MGS3 is also very forgiving on normal, leaving a screen if enemies are after you etc, and I dig it. I can't deny the bosses took some time, but I play MGS sloppy and kill tons of people. On RPG grinding a bit to make a game easy, that's an option in a lot of things, I'm cool with that. Death Stranding is not going to be as challenging as MGS2 in all likelihood, he's doing new stuff. It seems it's gonna be about ambiance, getting immersed in this wild situation, exploration, etc. And being open world with a bunch of options and angles, it's just not likely about fine tuned challenge I think. And that's cool with me.

Hopefully as my hands fall off with age, Hideo's games chill out and his last one is as tough as like a Wii Kirby game. I don't need a great film or book to kick my rear end, why does a great game need to kick my rear end. I mean hey, I'm a warrior, I can take it, I'm just saying.... on the battlefield.... what is... battle....

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drkeiscool posted:

The title is a little clickbaity but it's good.

No way it's an abomination, this video blows. One time when watching some MGS stuff with the boys we clicked on it as a goof, flipped through it a bit, it is a sham.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drkeiscool posted:

why do you say that?

I mean, you like it because it's a critique that you agree with, more or less? And to me it's an annoying tone guy saying stuff that I find to be a sham in a very long winded way. Which hey, some people feel that way about this game, some don't, it's not exactly an unexamined game. This video would be like electrocuting my rear end essentially.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's gonna rule, I can't wait! In Hideo we Games.

I don't get much out of the meta consensus thingy stuff, I'll see what I think. I do know Gamespot giving MGS3 an 8.7 or whatever I found an outrageous snub at the time. And still do, you blew it gamespot!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kiryu is one of the greatest characters ever. So drat epic. That said, Kenshiro is too, so I like to see his manly mug as well. I do like the idea of characters like Kiryu showing up in alternate versions, every dimension needs a hero like Kiryu. And a Solid Snake... and a Big Boss...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Now that Amazon doesn't do the prime discounts anymore, is there any place to get this on release day for less than msrp? I don't really care about cosmetic pre-order bonuses or anything if it saves me some cash.

I guess those days are over, since it was Amazon and BestBuy trying to match each other. Was a good few years for deals though. I haven't noticed this kind of discount since then.

tuo posted:

Okay, so Kojima doesn't respect spoiler-tags either.

Joking aside, I think this game will be fun...all the strange stuff leaked till now reads like the ultimate Kojima game. I am really looking forward to it.

Oh yes, this will rule. I'm mega hyped, I want to give this game some breathing room as well though. MGS3 knocked my socks so far off, the entire series, best games around for their time for me. MGS being our main comparison.

This is like a new chapter for Hideo, I expect this to be very different. I'm less comparing it to his other games, more taking it in as it's own thing. It looks like the right kind of game for me right now, a lot of wandering an intriguing land, some of that epic surreal emotion and stoic heroism in a grim reality that Hideo does so well. I like that it looks less shooty combat oriented than other games, and in general it looks like a very cool new twist on an exploration open world adventure.

But no doubt you could call it the ultimate Hideo game, since it'll be fully unleashed Hideo doing whatever he wants, full on Hideo. Just big shoes to fill if comparing to each of his previous hits.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 27, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That launch trailer is great stuff!

Random note on naming a character America, one of the most acclaimed Judge Dredd stories (America by John Wagner) did that memorably too.

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm curious/terrified of what an untethered kojima is capable of

:bisonyes:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Baby Boss... Boss Baby...

CapnAndy posted:

Oh good, an estranged/possibly dead love interest asking the protagonist to meet her at "their special place", that never ends badly in video games!

I did think of Silent Hill 2 there, great stuff. It also is a trope you see a lot in Japan especially, that heartstring tugging thing where your love interest has to go through time or turn into starlight or whatever. Not that I think it'll be quite like that here, but it's always a classic bit of imagery and emotion to play around with. Definitely ominous here. I also get a bit of The Boss from MGS3 in the vibe. Being you're on a mission for her or something like that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Grei Skuring posted:

Apparently not that hard. That crybaby. Such wonderfully realistic crying too. Good job on your crying characters, Kojima!

Strong men... also cry...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds like Kenshiro to me, he's a big softie deep down. And let's no forget he fought somebody voiced by Gackt in sequel OVAs. And Gackt is a real life vampire. Some Halloween trivia.

By the way, Gackt was in an MGS2 commercial with a baby.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2IYM7QkJi8s

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 31, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Am I a weirdo for liking monotonous exploratory and just traversal stuff? I echo the RDR2 feelings. I didn’t fast travel once in that game because I loved the calm effect of just a slow ride on your horse. I lost so many hours in that game just wandering around and looking for animals.

And monotony exploratory poo poo like scanning things in NMS just makes my lizard brain happy.

Add in some potentially funny Kojima bullshit and it sounds like a good time.

I loved that too. But it's just the classic: everyone connects with different stuff. I didn't even find it monotonous, it was a lot of fun and engaging traveling and exploring for me in that game. And Zelda: BoTW is another one where I wandered around a lot and loved that. Though different.

In general I'm not sure what it is about certain games like these that people are kind of wanting the "it's boring" aspect to be objective. Or that it's a consensus. In general in games people can agree that we all like different stuff, different mixes of genres etc. I guess it's something about how something as simple as wandering a game world can be so different from person to person in reaction. It's tougher to explain than somebody not liking shooters or RTS games or whatever.

Mega pumped to play this game by the way!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 2, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just mentioned that RDR2's traveling was engaging for me for example. There are different takes to be had. Maybe you'd find yourself into that game, never know until you try. I thought Skyrim looked dull for years then it knocked my socks off last year.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Look Sir Droids posted:

Curious to know what wowed you about Skyrim in 2018. I appreciate it for a few reasons (the map is still pretty and the music is great) but the core gameplay and quest design has aged poorly imo.

Oddly enough exploration was a big one. Just traveling on foot to the first town, then the second etc. Later I did fast travel to a couple faraway cities, but largely it was fun getting there on foot. Plus playing a sword and board warrior, I just found the dungeons and whatnot pretty addictive. In general the game had that classic addictive quality for me. The quests and characters were a lot better than I thought they might be as well.

Overall it just grabbed me and was really immersive and fun, and I did not get that impression from watching videos of people playing it. Just clicked for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Solid snack.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MGS3's dialogue makes sense to me, but that may be brain damage from all the Mountain Dew in my youth. I'm replaying it currently, still great fun stuff.

We're men... with names.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Like he takes a shitload of inspiration from Kobo Abe and you can find those same kind of dense monologues / philosophical asides in his book0s.

Any other recommendations for translated Japanese books? The Vampire Hunter D books are the only Japanese novels I've checked out.

guts and bolts posted:

I am looking forward to Death Stranding so much that it's embarrassing to admit it, and I trust that as a Kojima game it will be interesting if nothing else, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping that the dialogue was more grounded and less abstract than some of the MGS sequels

I dig that we're all interested in Death Stranding, with our different takes on various Hideo games.

I'll say overall it looks like Death Stranding is going to be one of his more abstract surreal games. The game world/story looks like it's going to be a bit far out, though reviews also say it makes sense. Just saying I'm not expecting this game's dialogue or story in general to be more grounded than usual. It sounds like it's pure Hideo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig his writing. Many fans are invested in his stories, they've captured our imagination. Plus he keeps having success after MGS1. He's doing his thing, I hope he keeps doing just that.

Hideo is the last developer where it would fit to say he's a success in spite of his writing. His games as established are half movie, a large part audio drama, etc. I really dig what he does all around.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For stuff that was an obvious influence on Kojima, definitely anything by Kobo Abe and Haruki Murakami. For Abe, "Woman in the Dunes" is his most well-known, but the biggest influences on the MGS games are probably "The Box Man" and "Kangaroo Notebook." I'm not a huge fan of Murakami but imo his best book is probably "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World."

For more general recommendations, Kenzaburo Oe's "A Personal Matter," Yasunari Kawabata's "Palm-of-the-Hand Stories," and something by Yukio Mishima - probably "Temple of the Golden Pavilion" or "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea" - would give you a pretty good starting point.

Much thanks! I'll put those on the ol' list.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not what has been said at all, some such as myself dig his writing. It clicks for me, some of my favorite in gaming. I wouldn't sum it up the way you did. In general people who don't like it just seem to want to write it off. Everybody digs different stuff, that's cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flimf posted:

I have been avoiding reading reviews, but has there been any talk about how this runs on a base ps4?
The digital foundry video was only about the pro as far as I could tell.

I hear it runs really well on base PS4. I forget where, it came up and somebody linked to some reassuring impressions on that. Also, I believe in my ol' PS4. It's still got it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Control was so excellent none the less, I salute Remedy for that masterpiece. Some chunky sections for sure fps wise, but still well worth the ride. Just in case any potential Control players are reading.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vikar Jerome posted:

Theres a new kojima game out in 2 days time

Oh yes! Pretty wild that it's finally time. :bisonyes:

veni veni veni posted:

Are people expecting it to come in the mail early? Amazon shipped mine like 2 days ago but it still says it’ll arrive on Friday.

Ditto, I'll be playing this on Friday like a regular schnook. (like Ray Liotta says in Goodfellas. He should be in this, he's in everything.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked Tuesday being the default game release day, call me old fashioned. I'm usually cool to wait until release, but I'd club a seal for a deal on a Thursday Death Stranding disc.

(I'm near Boston if any... y'know any Strands are found... any Sam Pizza Bridges are located...)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Palpek posted:

To people who play at release: post your impressions as you're playing, I don't want to wait like 30 hours for the first post when you already changed your opinion 5 times.

Will do! I've just spent about an hour on the opening credits first very short mission, wandering around and getting a feel for the controls etc.

Coop would appreciate that this game has a button that lets you say "Hellooooo!".

Game is cool so far! I'd usually wait longer to post, but I'm adhering to the thread mission here. The opening credits and the music choice are excellent, and the world is imagination grabbing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Presenting Nipples posted:

Tomorrow, I’ll drive three hours to deliver Death Stranding to my house. Tomorrow, I will deliver my first package.

Hell yeah! I did about 90 minutes round trip to a game store that gave me a copy at 9pm, successful mission.

And HBO did have Tales From the Crypt, which was one of the the finest shows.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Steve Yun posted:

It feels like an Alex Garland movie

Speaking of which, I would be honored to deliver a package for Judge Dredd, the finest comic book character. And very much agreed it's got an incredible look and feel.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

tuo posted:

Also spoiler question (light spoiler, first hour):
When you have to die during the tutorial mission due to the voidout, Sam has the q-bit necklace on when he's dropped into the "ocean". But during the tutorial story, he gets it much later.

Also there is one single shot of Amilie with a black dress instead of a red.

Seeing as this is Kojima, I assume both of that aren't mistakes, and we are in for a really wild Konima-ride along the road?

I think you're correctomundo as they say.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HUD question, how does the I think it's the endurance bar work? The teal one below the baby bar on the map screen. For me it seems to always be half full or so. When I run a white line appears on it so I figure I'm spending it slowly. It seems to refill less than the stamina bar, and not fully. Though I haven't returned to the chill room yet.

Hamelekim posted:

Menu and screen text is too small, and you can't change the size. Even with a 55 inch tv being less than 8 feet away it's difficult to read sometimes.

Playstation's PS button plus Square button to zoom option is a lifesaver for me here, and I use it in a lot of games. Can enable that in the system's accessibility setting if you haven't.

On melodrama, came up a page ago, melodrama often rules. Or at least this kind of epic heart on it's sleeve earnest drama. I guess I could just say well done melodrama. Stuff like HK movies (John Woo), Japan stuff (Gundam, fine anime and movies) etc, I really enjoy that style of drama. It genuinely moves me and I connect with it, so to me that full on style of drama rules.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SardonicTyrant posted:

That's your shoe's durability. You should recycle that pair and fabricate some new ones.

Much thanks! I've had a second pair on the clip for some time. I don't know about recycling, unless the game shows you that later, or I haven't noticed it. I'm on that early-ish mission with the rare metals delivery.

Broken Cog posted:

Been watching streams of this, and I feel that while the environments are absolutely gorgeous, they are also kind of... boring? There's not much to look at other than rivers and rocks, and there doesn't seem to be any wildlife of any kind. Does it get better later?

As a side note, the first area looks a lot like the highlands/low mountain areas here, not how I expected eastern US to look, but hey.

It's desolate and surreal pretty much. For wildlife and variety on terrain, that's more for your usual open world fantasy RPG. This has some Silent Hill in it's DNA for example. I dig it myself. They did mention a snow mountain area in interviews.

And it's not just a post apocalyptic USA type thing, it's a far out way reshaped and messed with in all sorts of ways situation kind of place. It just happens to be where America was.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, another question is the yellow blob on the map. Do we know what that is initially, or find out later? It doesn't seem to pertain to BTs, since I'm encountering BTs outside of that area. Does it mean mules? I did see mules in that area.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fun and inspiring I'd say.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

safe harbor posted:

Can you pause during cutscenes? Hearing about a cutscene over an hour in length has me a bit worried about having to use the bathroom/snack breaks.

Yes indeed, the options button brings up the pause or skip menu.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JBP posted:

It feels so good.

Hell yeah!

Question about donating chiral crystals. I donated two for that first prompted mission, can make repair spray now. Does each location have a seperate upgrade thing there, so if I backtracked to the first city would they also have separate upgrade meter and stuff to unlock? Pretty much I'm hoarding the crystals since I'm not sure if saving them for later locations or other uses is better etc.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also I think the story being so dead-focused on their narrative of "hey human connection is good, even if it's just online" might make a little bit more sense when you consider that Japan actually has a HUGE issue with people doing exactly the things the game describes in terms of being a complete shut-in and withdrawing from society. If you view it as less of a super deep metaphor and more of a call to action some of those decisions make more sense. Not saying the story is somehow good when viewed through that lens, but maybe it's easier to see how they got started down the road that led them to...this

For me the #1 word here is surreal. So the game much like the benefit I give to David Lynch for his dreamlike logic that I enjoy, this game clicks on different levels. It has a sci-fi plot that works, and it's also surreal and dreamlike etc, and it captures my imagination. He can make points while playing around in different areas.

So we're looking at it and connecting with it in different ways, since it sounds like you want it to be more literal and grounded etc, and I like it going the other way there.

As for the story being good... well, it's awesome so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tei posted:

I believe chiral crystals are by far the easier material to farm, then maybe metal. So don't hoard it if you find a good use.

These crystals are everywhere, starting on zone 1, and sometimes they appear in great concentrations.

JBP posted:

If you kill a BT you'll get shitloads of crystals.

Good to know. Do you know if each location has seperate items from upgrading via donating crystals, or if they're all linked or something like that?

One thing is I just battled my way over to where Wind Farm is, for fun, but I can't activate it or use it yet since my next mission is Port Knot City. So journeying back to West Capital Knot I go. Just felt like the kind of direction something optional might be.

I hear there's some fast travel, so that'll be good for these sort of scenarios. A bike would also be handy, I've still just encountered the one without power.