Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Finished the game! And to be honest, I'm not sure how I'm feeling. It doesn't help that the ending feels like it goes on for half the game, and is almost detached from everything that came before it. For most of the game everything involving The Beach/chiralium was actually consistent in how it worked, but it was during one of the Amelie's incredibly long speeches that the game finally just lost me. This is the first time in my life I feel like I need one of those youtube lore videos, except I have a feeling nobody knows any more than I do.

So Amelie is basically in beach hell for all eternity, but this time lonelier than ever? Why'd she actually change her mind?

What is the meaning of Sam giving the gun back to Die-Hardman?

In the end I feel like whole thing came off as pretty tragic, despite the chill and optimistic nature of most of the game game (but again, maybe the sheer length of the ending stretch is making it feel distant.) Sam distances himself from society again, probably because of the first thing, his goodbyes are pretty bittersweet especially since Deadman and Fragile are losing one of the few connections they've ever had, and he only got to recognize ghostdad for a few moments. Also Die-Hardman really didn't deserve everyone being on his case that bad.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This clip just kind of makes me sad in retrospect

In retrospect it's weird to think about how many times I tied up and dickstomped my dad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

untzthatshit posted:

I had a :aaaaa: moment during the first credit sequence as well - I kept thinking "this is dumb, why am I running around aimlessly on this beach in between spurts of exposition by Amelie? This should have been a cutscene, I'm just wasting time standing around". Then it slowly dawned me on that Sam's trapped on that beach with no escape...

I love when Sam and Deadman talk at the end of the game Sam asks "wait if I was gone for months in real life and time works differently on the Beach how long was I there" Deadman just nervously says "don't think about it"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The black mask I think is a sign of whoever is the leader of BRIDGES, which was Bridget back in the day. Masks are bad, because they are like walls for the face...you know this is probably the one bit of commentary in this game that hasn't aged so well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I still remember the stream (?) when they revealed the names of the cast and it felt like the internet had a collective stroke when they reached Die Hardman.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's one flashback in the long final beach sequence but Amelie split from Bridgette when she had a near death experience on the operating table as a young woman, which is why Amelie is always at that age. They are basically the same person in two different places.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
This felt on topic

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1433432309793890305

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Shoehead posted:

I'm still working my way towards the ending but uh... So I'm in the snowy mountains a lot atm and I keep hearing sleighbells??

When you think about it Santa Claus is the ultimate porter

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Midjack posted:

It's the Private Room!

Kojima does it again

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh Troy Baker is back, but Higgs died on the Beach, so he should be EXTREMELY dead. Not that I'm complaining.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AfricanBootyShine posted:

where's the scene where troy baker slaps mads' juicy rear end

Kojima has almost certainly retweeted fanart of this on his twitter account.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Okay.

Why did Bridget wear the Die-Hardman mask? Is it a metaphor?

If Lou is baby Sam, at what point did he separate to become Sam, and stay BB? Is this a Ha/Ka thing?

What's the point of the war flashbacks? Cliff never went through WW1/2/'Nam. Is it "Cliff is a soldier -> Cliff died with a soldier's rage -> when Cliff came back he dragged these soldiers with him?"

What was the original point of BBs? They threw in so many mostly meaningless swerves on it that it's a little unclear. BBs are for detecting the other side -> BBs are for some shady science poo poo -> BBs are somehow integrated into the chiral network.

How does a big lady tar mech end all of civilization? Like sure, the BTs and timefall storm are bad, but they don't seem like existential threats. We're to accept that it'll just get worse until attrition kills everyone?

1) The black mask is worn by whoever is the leader of Bridges, and since Amelie/Bridgette founded Bridges before the apocalypse she wears the mask during flashbacks. As for what it represents, masks are one of the things that prevent "connection" (along with walls and cliffs), which is why Die Hardman takes off the mask in the end.

4) BBs connect the real world and the Beach, which is why they are needed to power the Chiral Network, which works through the Beach. Porters use BBs because ordinarily BTs are actually supposed to be invisible, so getting brought closer to the Beach allows you to perceive them.

5) I don't think there's ever a visual representation of this but Amelie's ultimate plan was to use the completed Chiral Network to connect her Beach with the real world, which would instantly kill everyone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
MGS4 still has the longest single cutscene of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

Also, I have to ask. Is the guy at the Ludens Camp models after Geoff Keighley?

Yes.

I'm not sure if it's still the case after all this time but it used to be a rite of passage to pee at his bunker which is why it was overgrowing with mushrooms.