Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Please don't get archived before your time, third Death Stranding thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

For the OP:

CHARACTERS and CAST

e: lol guess you were already on it

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 29, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

I didn't notice until now that Guillermo Del Toro's character has frankenstein stitches across his head

I came across that doing image searches. Also this pic of Guillermo and Norman Reedus with Die-Hardman. So I guess he's their boss. He has the Bridges lapel pin.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 29, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I like Kojima's games and I even understand why people appreciate the worst ones, but you're really, really setting up a low bar here. I think people are within their rights to expect a game be a little more than "incomprehensible", "interesting", or "something".

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Die-Hardman," jesus

My guess is either everyone will say his completely straight without ever commenting on it, or someone will give you an unprompted, long-winded explanation of why he's named that and it'll be really stupid

lol why are you even in here? Are you new? Just don't buy the game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is Breath of the Wild being used as a generic term for "open world game"?

I think there will be missions, but I hope without the loadout and load screens of MGSV missions.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ambivalent posted:

I have no idea how good of a game Death Stranding will be, I hope it's great, but I also can't stress enough how beyond basically anyone else doing Video Games Kojima has been in so many areas, for just about forever. The camera angles and framing for stuff in Metal Gear Solid 1 is still more cinematic and compelling than modern AAA titles with massive technology and budget and actors can churn out.

Like, I know people love to be 'lol weird, haha thats so wacky, WHATEVER KOJIMA' or want to use some of the wankery stuff to discredit him, but there are side conversations in a Metal Gear game for PSP that have more of a brain than the entire Far Cry franchise.

Games are drowning in people who are more like Randy Pitchford, so I'll be grateful for anything from someone like Kojima.

Word.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don’t recall Sony ever promising a PC release. If they were going to do PC versions of their exclusives, Bloodborne would have been ported a long time ago.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

DLC Inc posted:

Story seems to be at least more comprehensible now than it has been in other trailers but man I have so many questions about this weird loving world. My most pressing question is still who Mads is playing since he seems to be maybe an antagonist but also a scienceman. Either way it's a new IP and it's not zombies or samurais so I'm here for it. So many games are straightforward with how "this is what you see, and that's what you get" and what MGS did so well was shove Kafkaesque absurdist logic and genre fiction into unassuming plotlines about soldiers of fortune.

Love that the Kojima name conventions are still alive. Give me Heartman, Die-Hardman, and Punished "Venom" Snake over the all the Jakes and Housemans and Franks. Refn being partially involved is exciting because he's definitely a guy that gets making nightmarish dreamscapes.

My take on Cliff, the Mads character, is that he’s the scientist that invented baby travel and it corrupted him so he’s unmoored in time or something.

That sucks about dangling a PC release. Now I have to reconsider PS4 plans and opt for spending $300-400 on a new PC build or just a GPU upgrade.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 30, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah, hopefully a PS5 announcement will drop the PS4 Pro prices soon after. Bummer if prices don't drop until the PS5 actually drops, which I expect to be no sooner than Holidays 2020.

Another PC consideration to me is how big of an online co-op or PvP component this game has. On the one hand, PC offers free multiplayer. On the other, hackers (which tbh I did not experience at all in MGS5).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Goreld posted:

major conversations about abortion.

A Hideo Kojima Game

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Most games have stealth elements that amount to enemies don't just gravitate towards you because you're close to them and you can make them lose sight of you and de-aggro. Like I would not call Sekiro a stealth game but stealth is an important way to approach that game. Stealth elements are just there so the player has options on how and when to engage in combat or approach an objective.

I think what he means is sneaking and avoiding detection is not going to be as important as, say, Metal Gear.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Jim Long-un posted:

I'm not buying a PS4 for one game

I look at it as the straw that beaks the camels back so I can also play Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, and Bloodborne as well.

Also, MGS5 is still good.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Adaptabullshit posted:

MGSV sucked because of Konami meddling and rushed to get it out.

But it still has the best gameplay of any MGS game and I put almost 200 hrs in to it before I started to think it wasn't that great.

acksplode posted:

The message is that your library will come with you to PS5, you won't have to rebuy it.

Sure hope so, but did they do this for PS3 digital libraries converting to PS4?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Re-watching the trailer.

quote:

Covering the world in cable didn't bring an end to war and suffering. Don't act surprised if it all comes apart if you try to do it again.

quote:

Humans aren't made for living alone. They're supposed to come together, to help one another. And if we as a people can't do that, if we can't reconnect. That's what we need right now. Not to stand apart, but to come together.

I'd be surprised if this isn't on the nose commentary on social media and the information age. Where MGS2 was predictive, this will look at the aftermath.

I'd also bet the Mads scenes that bookend the trailer is the opening of the game, like the hospital in TPP.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

acksplode posted:

I'm not crazy about Kojima as a writer, but I think he's fantastic at coming up with gripping and politically relevant themes that a game can be centered upon. "Reconnecting a formerly connected nation that has broken down into isolated tribes" is a perfect idea for the current moment, and considering that production on DS started before Brexit and the 2016 US presidential election (first trailer was E3 2016), it's almost loving prescient.

Agree. Kojima partnered with Sony in July 2015 and it certainly seems he had the game sketched out in his mind already. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those more current themes were grafted on or emphasized more because of current events. Either way, Kojima is a fascinating futurist.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

I guarantee you've forgotten more cut scenes from MGS4 than make up the entirety of V. 4 had poo poo loads of filler but you were watching it instead of playing it.

That's a different kind of filler. The filler in MGS5 was cookie cutter side ops. You were playing those on auto-pilot after the first few. I'm not sure I think that's better than watching bonkers cutscenes, even the Mei Ling butt shot cutscenes.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

it's pretty cool how Kojima managed to get a bunch of serious Hollywood actors to say the name "Die Hardman" without laughing

Norman Reedus has been on The Walking Dead for almost a decade. Kojima is an upgrade in the dialog department for him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

I just want someone to pay Mads to play Hannibal again. I'll take this in the meantime.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/1133093208211091456

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

UP AND ADAM posted:

If the monster guys from MGSV, the Skull unit, are any indication, I think an emphasis on weird encounters and unexpected poo poo happening during travel would work really well in this game. Some cool chases, 3-way combat situations, poo poo like that. There were glimpses of brilliance in the open world stuff in V for sure.

Yep, I'd put good odds on a lot of surprise encounters like the Man on Fire "boss fight" in TPP.

If the weather system is dynamic and the, whatever you call them, dimensional ooze zombies only come out when it rains, that could be cool.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even on the first playthrough that part sucks. I still love 4 but that part was such a missed opportunity. Snake having to sneak through a civilian area is such a good idea but they dropped the ball.

It sucks THE MOST on the first playthrough because you don't know where the loving guy is going and there's nothing redeeming about it after you figure it out. It's actually better on subsequent playthroughs since you can just beeline it to get it over with. MGS4 owns, but I could do without that part, the on rails shooter part right after it, and the bulk of the Naomi and Vamp cutscenes.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I hope you get to research upgrades for your Sherpa backpack.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Skeletron posted:

I just preordered a life size baby in a jar. I'm loving amped.

Thread title.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm still bummed out that of all the Kojima theories that have popped up over the years the "Kojima really grew to resent David Hayter becoming the face of his franchise" claim has only seemingly become more and more true over time.

He’s talking about the Japanese VA.

I’m not sure who is more mad at who between Hayter and Kojima.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Norman Reedus has appeared in other video games right?

It's kinda weird if we start seeing celebrities appearing in multiple game franchises. Even RE2 / DMC5 used celebrities / models for its characters.

Just PT and a Walking Dead game for Reedus.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What is it with people being weirdly reductive? Imagine watching those 9 minutes and your only takeaway being, "I see a game that's all about moving ladders." :thunk:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

He probably brews his own malt-based porters and stouts.

Heartman: "Sam, that's Kindred Barley. It was cultivated in the old United States. You can put it through a malting process and add it to your home brew."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Bridges is basically the government. The logo is on the floor in the Oval Office.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Remember how TPP had like super correct technical climbing (in like 5 spots where you could find a crack, but still)? It seems like an expansion on that. Realistic traversal rather than absurd Uncharted parkouring everywhere.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Gripweed posted:

The end stinger is Mads looking straight into the camera and saying "the whole world will be yours to explore. You can go wherever you want. Even the moon"

It's kinda weird that people aren't talking about that more. You'll be able to go to the moon in Death Stranding.

I guess it got overshadowed by time/dimension travel via your own personal baby in a jar.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

I wouldn't count on Death Stranding coming to PC soon but I also wouldn't count it out entirely.

Yeah and tbh this is a pro move from a sales standpoint. If I have to wait 3+ yrs for a PC port I absolutely will buy on PS first then buy it on PC. I’ll definitely do that with Journey when it’s no longer an Epic exclusive.

I’m still not expecting a PC version announcement for like, years.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Well he is covered in blood when he's singing to the baby.

Definitely curious to see what cool poo poo they do with the BTs-through-time that Cliff seems to be controlling. So far we've seen him leading around dead dudes from WW1, WW2, and modern day.

Edit: Also, rewatching the trailer and at the end, when Cliff says "I'll show you the real thing soon, I promise," it looks like he's holding something that says "The Moon and the Earth." It's super blurry so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty confident that's what it is. Dunno if it has some other meaning, but that is the title of a painting by Paul Gaugin (which is currently hanging in New York):

The painting's alternate title is "Hena Te Fatou," in reference to the Tahitian gods of the moon and earth. In Gaugin's book Noa Noa, he describes a conversation between these two figures that is kinda interesting:

«Hina said to Fatu: Revive man when he is dead.
»Fatu answered: No, I will not revive him. The earth will die; the vegetation will die; He will die like the man who feeds him; the ground that produces them will die; the Earth will die; Earth will end, not to reborn anymore.
»Hina replied: Do whatever you want. I will revive the Moon.
"And he who owned Hina continued to be, what Fatu possessed perished and the man had to die."

Could just be a coincidence, and like I said I'm not even 100% certain that's what the thing he's holding says, but I thought it was neat.

Sam Porter Bridges is Moana.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

1stGear posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Kojima will make this a secret MGS game when he's been trying to get away from Metal Gear since 3.

People like saying this but Kojima wanted to quit MGS the way a drunk wants to quit booze.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It will 100% have some horror elements. Look how goddamn spooky Mads and the BTs are.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Party Boat posted:

I understand what you're saying here but I have to point out that MGS2 is 100% about Solid Snake

Lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Bedshaped posted:

Is it typical to know this little about how a game plays or the basic mechanics function with a bit over 5 months to release?

Tbh I can’t think of a single game I knew how it plays until it came out and I played it. I mean what do you expect to know this far out?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

My dumb bet/spec is that mads hosed everything up and cloned a baby to trip into the afterlife for reason but hosed up and caused the afterlife to death strand and i bet the baby is either sam or higgs.

I dunno.

Higgs is actually Liquid Sam.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of tits. This appears to be the first Kojima game where the female characters don't inexplicably have their tits hanging out. Turns out in the Koj may have been the one who was ashamed of his words & deeds after all.

Still plenty of face licking tho.

You know we are going to get a cutscene of Mama breastfeeding a time baby.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

RatHat posted:

Have we seen any live animals in the trailers? They might all be extinct at this point. Well, there were the dead sea animals in the first trailer so maybe they’re the only ones who survived.

If Nier Automatas apocalypse can have fish, Death Stranding can have fish.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Bedshaped posted:

I hope the multiplayer aspect is cool and not some bullshit background simulation.

I think it’ll end up somewhere between Dark Souls co-op and the ending of Nier Automata. Would be cool if instances of other players’ worlds appear where you can help them out somehow. Not a full co-op but if you choose to help it provides items or does damage to a boss. The narrative likely won’t allow for you to gently caress people over, like invasions. The worst you can do is acts of omission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pretty much

I'd rather listen to him enthusiastically try to describe his ideas in a secondary language than any 'lol can you believe this guy' cynic irony

Totes

I have never actually seen people worship Kojima the way the eyerollers say they do. I just enjoy this man’s weird rear end work product.