Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

No hunks allowed, ya dangus

Started a second play through on hard this time.

Can I accept a LoL premium mission, switch to easy while traveling and back to hard to turn it in?

Timefall on hard mode is kicking my (package's) rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Didn't they say that the beach was outside time or something?

That's how I explained it to myself.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

You have to consider its been a while since MGS1.

Pfff, it's only been like 10 years since '98...

Wait...

gently caress...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

CJacobs posted:

No he's just a fucker. You have to do the rest in private room + read email cycle 3 or 4 times. By far the worst prepper.

I blame the mustache.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

So if I want the trophy for doing the legendary deliveries, do I have to do those on hard, or is normal ok?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Snackmar posted:

Those have to be done on Hard so that you qualify for the Legend of Legends rating

It also requires 20 of those things in each category of job (speed, quantity, etc) so you'll definitely want to peek at a guide

You can also swap difficulty up or down between deliveries if you like

Ok thanks

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

CJacobs posted:

YOU CAN SLIDE DOWN LADDERS BY HOLDING SQUARE

gently caress

But that doesn't work for going down climbing anchors. (Learned that the hard way)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Phenotype posted:

This is one of my major criticisms of the gameplay progression, which is otherwise done very well. I'm not sure what the trigger is with the other grenades, but I didn't see my first poop grenade until I'd had the blood grenades for 10+ hours, and I only got the shower grenades and piss grenades shortly before they gave me the hematic ones, so I literally never had any reason to use them. From a story perspective, they're just figuring out that Sam's bodily fluids are useful, and the EX grenades don't even tell you what they do, they just say something about testing the effects on BTs. And then twenty minutes later they give you a blood grenade and tell you it kills BTs? It feels like there should have been a much longer stretch where you're forced to go through a couple BT areas with nothing but the EX grenades, so then there's some relief when they finally figure out the blood grenades and you're actually able to kill the BTs.

Same thing with the Bolo gun TBH. It's pretty much the best anti mule weapon there is.

I ignored the grenade launcher for the longest time, until I realised it did multiple ammo types. No need to carry separate weapons for mules and for BTs.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you want a political message out of this game ponder the fact that Kojima said this game is about Trump and your first mission is to throw the US President into an incinerator.

In my defense, a man in a skull mask told me to do it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Well, we know that the stillmother has to be alive and the BB has to be occasionally connected to her to maintain its beach-connecting ability, otherwise it starts to grow up like a normal premature baby would as Lou starts to do. Also it kinda makes sense that the BB needs to be a preemie because it wouldn't fit in the pod if it was normal baby-sized. That's presumably why Deadman urged Sam to reset Lou, not just because of its BT detecting ability but because taking it out of the pod means a likely death and it can't stay in there if it grows too much.

I'd like to think that they don't force pregnant mothers to enter chemically induced comas to produce more BBs, at least not anymore, but I don't think the game clarifies one way or the other. My theory is that BBs have to be born out of some kind of jeopardy to be connected to the beach in the first place a la Mama's child. If Mama's child had been removed from her before it died, it would've been a BB candidate. They don't say what brought Cliff and Lisa to BRIDGES afaik but whatever happened left her brain dead, so Sam would have died if they hadn't removed him.

Was anyone else really nervous doing the "deliver medicine to the mountaineer" mission? When they said that the mother's illness could cause her to be braindead I thought "poo poo, that's how they make BBs" And I thought about how badly Bridges needs more BBs and so I started getting suspicious of Bridges' motivations. (I had been for a while, Kojima made Bridges one of the good guys, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them the villains)

I was doing the delivery and remembered that the game would sometimes throw a boss fight at you on story missions so I was starting to get nervous when I got there. The mountaineer placed a arrow sign or something and had a hologram of himself next to it waving- it startled me I almost pulled my gun out.

I was glad to be wrong.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

RatHat posted:

So (ending spoilers) why all the secrecy at the end with Sam going off the grid to remove Lou from the pod? He saved the world, president Die Hardman would probably let him do whatever he wanted. Lou couldn't be used as a BB anymore anyway so it's not like Sam was taking valuable hardware.

Also why was Sam special as a BB?

I took it more that Bridges and UCA has been treating BBs as equipment, rather than being human beings.

Taking BB out and having her grow up kind of exposes that. (Does anyone besides DHM and Sam know a BB can be removed and survive?)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

J.A.B.C. posted:

Horror as a game genre has always had a sort of rocky relationship, because you have to walk a fine line with a lot of factors.

Agency is a big one: give your players too many tools and options to counter your opponents and it becomes an action game with scary bits (RE4/5/6, Dead Space), but if you take away everything you basically make it a torture fest (Layers of Fear, which I didn't like, Five Nights) that becomes more about finishing it than the scares.

Atmosphere is another, with many of the examples above. Explosions and set pieces become expected and are no longer scary (DS2 is a huge example of this) but drain out the palette or make everything dark and you just get bored (SH:Downpour, Amnesia 2) and if things get too over the top weird and you never have a chance to breathe, then it just becomes silly (Outlast).

It has been a while since I played a start-to-finish horror game, because that balance is really hard to walk. Its why Silent Hill 2 is still considered such a great example, and why modern games like the RE2 Remake have scary moments rather than being an all-out horror game. 'Faith' was a good recent example, as it used a limited set to build a world, then defied it to jarring, stunning effect and made a real struggle with those limited tools.

And, with how PT captured audiences long after it was made unplayable, to the point that 'PT Clones' were a thing, hinted towards that balance in Hills, headed by people who knew how to make it work. It could have failed in a dozen different ways, to be sure. But the fact that we will never know is the true punishment.

Any horror recommendations would always be appreciated.

True. I feel like Alien:Isolation did a good job of giving the player lots of tools without ever making you feel like a badass who could just shoot their way out of a problem.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

I mostly upgraded them so they'd only take up a small cargo space. Nice to have your alternate skeleton attached to your suit.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Is it weird that I want to start an offline playthrough?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Iced Cocoa posted:

After the minute it took me to mourn the guy, I rested at his place expecting a game-over or a voidout. Was disappointed when nothing happened.

A dead body going necro creates a BT. The BT eating a living person creates a void out. Since he lives alone- no void out.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Yes, select the order and hit right bumper to see what you're moving. It also shows up at the bottom right when you have the order highlighted. (I missed this for the longest time cause this part of the screen is covered when someone talks to you on picking up the order)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

marktheando posted:

I haven't played this game since like December. Am I going to have to repair all my ziplines or does it only degrade when you are playing?

Only when you're playing, and only really when you advance time by resting in your room.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Make a DS movie or HBO series you cowards

Not empty quoting

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Thanks!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Aphelion Necrology posted:

It has electrolytes.

Monster's got what porters crave!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

My favorite moments in the game:

Cresting the hill leading down to Port Knot and thinking "Now this would be a great place for some Low Roar" just before it starts playing.

The end fight with Higgs. Trying to figure out how to actually hurt him and seeing a box marked "PlayStation System", remembering alll the way back before I had bola guns or anything and how the only way to take down MULEs was to throw crates at their heads... And how the whole thing devolved into a fighting game. I hate fighting games, but I must have been emotionally invested at that point because I was practically cheering every time I landed a hit.

Sitting in the private room looking around desperately for anything other than the shower to interact with before sighing to myself and thinking "Well, I guess I have no other choice but to hop in the shower with Guillermo Del Toro..."

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Well to be fair, at some point you can't really get more wet. Timefall turns into normal water when it hits something, so if you've already been out in the rain a while your susceptibility to timefall is probably actually lower because you're already wet from the runoff. Timefall hits the runoff you're covered in, not you or technically your clothes, which slows the degredation process. At least that's how The Kojima Of It All would probably explain it if it had to be explained MGS style.

edit: Also explains why fish are so prevalent. The game world you can run around in has hardly any living creatures above ground save for insects or birds, but sometimes you can see fish swimming around just fine if you look in streams or lake water. Of course sea life would be fine, the timefall can't touch them.

I wonder if a sort of jet of compressed air shot out in a flat circle would be a good way of dealing with timefall IRL?

Something like this?

I mean, you'd have to carry an air compressor too, but FutureCompressors™ would be more compact, right?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

untzthatshit posted:

I should probably just spoiler the rest of this post to talk about end game stuff -

I had a moment during the first credit sequence as well - I kept thinking "this is dumb, why am I running around aimlessly on this beach in between spurts of exposition by Amelie? This should have been a cutscene, I'm just wasting time standing around". Then it slowly dawned me on that Sam's trapped on that beach with no escape...

I was thinking "wait, didn't Amelie and Sam leave the beach that one time by running along the water?"
So I tried that...
Teleported back to the middle.
"Hmm, I'm sure when they were running that the water was on their right... but I'll try running along the beach the other way..."
Teleported back to the middle...
"Do I need to run along the beach making 'princess beach' puns for it to work?"
But that's when the first Amelie explanation scene kicked in so I never got a chance to try it...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

madeintaipei posted:

The Marines in Aliens had lights like that mounted to their armor now that I think of it.

Is Covenant worth a watch in your opinion?

I liked it better than Prometheus. Granted that's a pretty low bar...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean you can sort of have that if you just speedrun the story mode and then do everything else afterwards.

I might be in the minority on this one but I wish there was more time and gadgetry spent on your time on foot, mt climbing and hiking. Like I would not be at all sad if the entire first half of the game was more "local" and had no vehicles involved and THEN expanded into highways/vehicles/ziplines.

I'm doing an "offline" playthrough at the moment, it's basically that. Much more walking.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

From the PS5 reveal- "Pragmata" has some major Death Stranding vibes... Would Kojima make a game with Capcom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K0LQ9C9euY

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Midjack posted:

You can do it with Mama too.

New thread title.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Snuffman posted:

I haven't played this since December. How likely is it that all my wonderful freeways are gone?

I don't think anything decays when you aren't logged in.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Jolo posted:

I think a couple of things probably really affected reviews:

1. Rushing through the game to get a review out as soon as the game launched. This game really encourages you to take your time and try new things. I went back after finishing the game and watched several people play the game and talk about it at release and all of them were making what I would consider "rookie mistakes" while navigating the world. Watching them play I got the impression that they rushed through and didn't really try to learn how to not wobble all over or be efficient. Tim Rogers had a ton of crazy long videos about the game and one of the things he said was that "learning to play the game IS the game" and that's very true of this game.

2. Expectations of something like Metal Gear and not post apocalyptic delivery simulator. I think this is a hard game to sell to people. I rented it thinking I would be bored by it and that I'd not play through it but then about 5-6 hours in I realized I was really enjoying the delivery management aspects of the game and played it for another hundred hours. I told several friends about it but mentioned that I bet this game is really boring to watch but very satisfying to play if it clicks with you. I think it's pretty difficult to showcase the satisfying thinking that is going on in the player's head while navigating a snowy mountain with a bunch of crap on their back. On the flipside, watching someone navigate the Tanker in MGS2 is immediately engaging and you can more clearly see the decisions being made and how they play out.

Plus it can be really annoying to maneuver Sam at the beginning of the game. You stumble on the smallest pebbles, get bogged down by small loads... You get tools to make traversing much easier later on, but I wouldn't be surprised if people played the first hour or so and said fuckit.

Plus it's not a game that can easily summed up in a quick blurb. Package delivery simulator is close, but sounds boring as hell and doesn't really do the gameplay justice (though it's technically correct.)

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm tempted to just play the game on super easy casual mode because everything I hear suggests the combat/videogamey challenge part of the game isn't what's good about it. So I'd rather the boss fights just be interactive cutscenes that aren't going to hold me up.

Just set the game on easy. The boss fights are no problem then.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I'm partway through chapter 3 and they just went "Whoops, Fragile's fast travel thing isn't working. Go move cargo from the northeast to the souhwest, also Fragile's by the distribution center if you want to talk to her." I see her icon on the distro center's console, but no mission for Sam- is there actually an interaction somewhere, or should I just go to port knot and start the next story mission?

Are you on order 38? What's your cargo? If they mentioned visiting Fragile stop by the private room in the distro center south of Lake Knot City

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Omi no Kami posted:

Yup, I'm on order 38. I haven't started it yet, so maybe that's the issue- I thought if there was optional story content related to the fast travel thingie I might skip it by accident. Since my private room in the southern distro center is (as far as I can tell) normal, I'm betting I'm supposed to start the delivery first, then make a stop in the distro center on my way back down?

You're supposed to pick up the order and take it to South Knot City, you pass through the Distro center anyway and it'd be nice to pop into your room and say hi to Fragile. She's cool when she's not trying to force feed you cryptobiotes. I think the lack of fast travel isn't really relevant and the ability to fast travel comes back after that mission I think

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Frog Act posted:

Okay, I’ll try again, three times now I’ve gotten sucked into the ghost and BB has gone autotoxenic

It seems the lesser grenades just make them move a little ways away?

Turn your difficulty down and it'll only take 1 hematic grenade to kill them

Frog Act posted:

In general are the no 1 grenades sufficient to clear an area to pass through? Like the rocky pass en route to the port knot

Also if you damage the bike how do you fix it?

The 1 and 2 grenades are useless IMO. I'd stick with hematics.

You can fix your bike by returning it to a garage (park on the circle elevator thing) but only after you are given the plans to make them.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 18, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I snatched up guns and wasted any skeletons I ran into. Your odradek will point towards the Combat Veteran, I didn't run into skeletons unless I went towards him but I played on normal and have no idea if they get more strategic or aggressive on hard. Other people have said you can use your strand to insta-kill them if you can get behind them.

Combat veteran spoiler: I wasn't a fan of the first combat zone but I actually really liked the WW2 and Vietnam era levels. It helped that I knew what I was supposed to do, I spent like 5 minutes trying to exit the first area and looking for any kind of trigger/button prompt before I decided to try using the guns lying around to shoot things. I liked how each environment was very different. The trenches are narrow and claustrophobic, the bombed city is open with random bits of cover or buildings to work around, and the forest in Vietnam is full of grass and trees to try and hide in. By the third combat nightmare I was pumped to go beat up Mads Mikkelsen.

I loved the Vietnam level especially. Hiding in the tall grass picking off the skeletons one at a time like the Predator.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Stolen from reddit

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Brutakas posted:

Don't they cost chiral crystals while they are being used? I thought I read that and it's a big factor in why I never used them after that mission.

Like a trivial amount. kill a BT boss or two and you won't have to worry about crystals.

My only real problem with them was that it always seemed like I was being pulled to the left when towing one. I felt like I had to correct to the right rather than walking straight.

It was nice to keep one on my back when I was walking though, just in case I found a big order or a ton of lost packages to a place I was trying to level up.

Also useful for extreme ziplining, as said above.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 21, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Lobok posted:

I wonder why they made the hovercarts use crystals anyway. It's not like they'd be perfect except for that, they already have pros and cons just like any other delivery method or tool. If they needed it to be powered, why not use batteries like everything else?

I think it's because (not really sure if this is really a spoiler but just in case...)

Chiral matter seems to defy gravity, even go against it. The chiral matter in Sams Q-pid makes the metal float in the air, bits of chiral matter float up from the hand crystals and even void out craters. It's like the beach is almost an anti-dimension? The matter the BTs are made of is antimatter, maybe the gravity works in the opposite way there? (But then Sam or Heartman going to the beach should cause a void out there right? Then again maybe their beaches are different from where the BTs come from? You never see BTs there.)

Either way, I took it to mean that the carts float because of chiral matter and that has to be replaced with chiral crystals.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Midjack posted:

My experience was that a couple of road segments at the beginning that I contributed to were finished by other players and every other paver in the network that I dumped a few resources into was 50-75% completed but I had to finish it myself. Pavers not in the network you have to entirely do yourself. I doubt the game will entirely provide roads without some contributions from you.

I pretty much ignored the roads in my first playthough after I got ziplines and I remember at least 1 or 2 segments of mountain road finishing themselves. Probably takes a long time though.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

Zonko_T.M. posted:

they just mention that no one knows what's going on outside America, because of the chiral matter in the clouds space and air travel are both unfeasible, all satellites are lost so there's really no way to find out.

Not sure about the oceans. I thought the crater lake you cross and the one above the Craftsman were regular water? Even with modern boating equipment ocean travel would be significantly harder without radar or radio or GPS. It's clear the chiral network has a very limited range compared to even traditional radio.

Realistically shortwave radio would still reach that far, maybe chiral clouds block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

The only signs I really hated were the ones that make your vehicle boost. Mostly because people would place them on the ramp down to the distro centers and make me boost into the thing when I didn't want to. (you can turn off just the signs in the settings)

I also hated the robot dinos. Mostly because I saw one when I first started playing and I nearly poo poo myself... I saw a huge creature in the distance and immediately paused the game to look at my inventory to see what I had to defend myself with. Cautiously crept forward with a hematic grenade in my hand ready to throw down until I realized it was just a hologram. Same thing with the porters, I panicked and thought that the MULES could now leave their territory and come for me... Good thing I didn't have a gun at that time.