Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
It feels like the emails and the actual dialogue for the characters were written at different times and by different people.

In fact I wonder if that is true of the mission briefings and dialogue before and after you take story missions. It's as if a set of dialogue was written and put in and in a later pass on the game they added more without realizing that info was already covered?

That would explain why some things are repeated so often. Can't remember where exactly, but a couple of times Mama would say something like "I don't know if you know this, but [item A] is used to do [action B]" and I'd think "I do know this- you told it to me not even 2 minutes ago..."

Then again when I was tasked with taking that bomb to mountain knot, various NPCs told me like 3 or 4 times "Sam! Don't forget you're carrying a bomb!" to the point that I was rolling my eyes. Then a bit later I was taking a steep hill, stumbled a bit and heard a BEEP BEEP BEEP coming from my backpack and thought "oh yeah, the bomb..." So maybe the redundant instructions are on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Push forward in the story a bit and get yourself a big boy truck

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

buglord posted:

It does! :negative:

I also did a pizza mission where I had to hold onto a champagne bottle and christ alive that was the longest pizza mission ever. Here's hoping the ones after it are easier because that was ridic

The next delivery you have to walk backwards the whole time.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
He also loves it if you sit and play your harmonica.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

Driving fast with them is good though. Don’t forget that.

Can confirm

https://i.imgur.com/5R0Eu8Z.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

Snap back to chirality, oh there goes gravity
Oh there goes Porter, he hooked
Up a facility, in 60 frame fidelity

Will the real Die-Hardman please stand up?
please stand up?
please stand up?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I figured out what the problem is, thanks to recording the game while the bug occurred during a story cutscene just by chance. Observe:

Two sequential frames, recorded at 60 fps. The animation is in the same place, but take a look at Sam's hair, it's very slightly different between the two frames.

For some reason, the game is still running at 60 frames and the hair and physics act accordingly, but it plays the ANIMATIONS at 30. I can go through this cutscene frame by frame and watch Sam move on frame 1, then NOT move on frame 2 but his hair does. Whyyyyyy is this happening

edit: This footage was taken while running DLSS, so the reason the hair becomes less pixelated on frame 2 is because it's processing frame 1. If it were recorded with DLSS off it'd look about the same but the hair would still be pixelated, that's all.

I just play on the PS4 :shrug:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I just thought it was a Japanese thing? Didn't people name themselves after their profession in the not-that-distant past?

I know Europeans did farther back- Sam Fisher would have had fisherman ancestors somewhere, Sam Smith, Sam Baker, ect ect...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I just got the official one as a gift and it was sort of disappointing. I assumed the text would be embroidered but it's just printed on and looks pretty cheap. Still love it and all, guess I should have expected it with it being video game merch.

I got an unofficial one off Amazon, and the text is embroidered and it looks really great.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Khanstant posted:

speaking of mysterious items, do these backpack charms make a big difference? i have the bell one on now, can't tell what it does though.

unless, it attracts BTs. I've noticed them seemingly to gravitate toward me in clumps last few encounters but I thought it was because I was messing around with my new BT solution cord cutting. It's basically like really bad MGS stealth, AFAIK if you crouch and hold your breathe you basically can cut any cord safely. it seems they lust for cord cut freedom because once you pop one they seem to all want a peice of that action. That or theyre just weird in this couple snow areas.

When I use a hematic grenade to kill one, any nearby BTs will wander over where it died to investigate.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Spoiler: If you use a freecam mod to noclip during the shower scenes you can see that unfortunately Norman in fact has no reedus.

Deadman already knew this.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

I imagine the screams make pretending to be a rock kind of pointless.

New thread title.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm starting to get reports of deteriorating ziplines back on the east side of the central region and I really should keep them all repaired until I at least finish the pizza delivery missions but honestly there's a pretty good reason ziplines get given to you when you've already been up the mountain, because causing avalanches hitting the "callout" button while ripping above the snowy peaks loving RULES.

Wow, really? Like snow avalanches? I remember seeing rocks tumbling down the hills from time to time but never snow avalanches. I really need to start playing again.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I'm Sam Porter Bridges, hauling Sam Bridges porter, for the porters at Bridges.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

night slime posted:

Whoever's in your Bridge Links (accessible through one of the menus, don't remember offhand how to get there) supplied materials. I think your name isn't there because they donated first unfortunately, or donated the most, it's not explained how it works.

I was wondering if the translation was different than I originally thought. When she says "I'm fragile, not but that fragile" I thought she might have been talking like "yes I'm her, but not the her from before.

It must be unpleasant to translate a Kojima script like it's a politician's speech that you need to adhere to. Literature translators seem to like the option for their own creativity.

I feel like translating it more like "I'm Fragile, but I'm not that easily broken" would have been better. I always took it to be referencing her rising above all the bad stuff that's happened to her lately. That city getting nuked, the timefall ect.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Death Stranding is the first good video game.

I like the cut of your jib.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Then smash that mf touch pad!

[I didn't read past that, I'll be honest.]

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

mrmcd posted:

Is there a star level for each hub that is the definite point for upgrades vs. cosmetics + lore?

Like some of them need a LOT of grinding to get that 4th or 5th star and it would be nice to know if all I'm missing is a new backpack color and not, say, a gun upgrade that makes a boss less horrible.

Some spoilers obviously, but this is a list of what you get and what level you have to upgrade for - https://www.powerpyx.com/death-stranding-how-to-get-all-crafting-recipes-weapons-equipment/

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
PC only... :(

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

boring game: your character can piss
boring zany game: your character can piss anywhere
boring zany AAA game: your character can piss anywhere and the piss has modeled physics

kojima: your character's physics-modeled piss action has a specific use in combat

Kojima: what if we put the character's piss into a grenade?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

dreamin of semen posted:

It was literally delivered to Kojima's office on a flash drive in a custom wooden box, and apparently KojiPro and Guerrilla now regularly share improvements and changes to the engine between their development teams :3:

That's classy as gently caress.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

lol I kinda want to chuck one at a living person to see what happens, like do porters dock you likes if you piss on them

What if you bola a mule and piss on them

I think it makes them slip and fall? That's the grenades, pretty sure if you try to whip out your 'lil reedus around anyone he'll refuse.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Romes128 posted:

Also saw a tool tip while the game loaded that said you can pop a hematic grenade and fire through the mist using regular bullets and it'll do MORE damage to bt's than bt weapons, which I'll definitely have to try.

I generally just chuck a heme grenade at the BT boss and shoot regular bullets at the red spot.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

If you hit the touchpad while (very endgame spoilers) on the infinite beach during the first credit roll, when he's all blue, he'll sometimes shout about how the game must be bugged. :allears:

edit: You can also shout at Higgs during the inevitable mano a mano with him and there's a few lines if he's not currently monologuing, which he like always is. Did you know you can jump over his scanner ping to remain in stealth like you can MULE poles? He gets comically mad if you do.

Wait, you can jump over a MULE ping??

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Stare-Out posted:

I only ever used roads and ziplines for the side deliveries and always trekked everywhere for plot stuff, my favorite thing in this game was just to slowly walk around the gorgeous world in silence and if one of the songs started it immediately became a memorable moment.

drat you for making me want to start a no-road playthrough...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

i can't ride a trike on a zipline :colbert:

Not with that attitude.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

So what's the deal with the rumored Extended Edition?

It's rumored.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

night slime posted:

I'm afraid of being called the zipline emperor afterwards

That would be a bad thing??

Sounds like a good gang tag right there...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Stare-Out posted:

THE ORANGE reference, my goodness.

I don’t get the reference…

Also I hope it’s not only for PS5, and that it will be on the 4 as well.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Pretty sure you can just jump at the right time too.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Party Boat posted:

I like a cover, extra battery and tons of grenade pouches for BT encounters. If I'm heading into new territory I'll generally take a ladder and set of climbing anchors but not more than one of each unless I have good reason. Almost everything else is on a needs basis. The stabiliser does make it impossible to fall over (with some great animations) but it isn't worth the space it takes up for me, keeping your footing is rarely difficult.

Wow... exactly the same for me.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

- about BBs: so all those elevator flashbacks were Sam's earliest memories, and he was one of the earliest BBs - taken out of the game as a fetus by a bullet, very sad - and was Cliff's target all along. What about BB-28, does that make him(?) a completely separate BB with an unknown (and unexplained) history that just so happened to get to Sam by way of Igor at the start, or is he somehow related to the broader plot? (At first I thought he was Sam too and there was some timey-wimey bullshit afoot)

I can answer this one at least- Her, actually. And yes, just a random BB.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Imhotep posted:

-"Samantha America Strand, widely known as "Amelie", is the "ka" (soul) of the sixth extinction entity, publicly recognized as the daughter of her counterpart "ha" (body), President Bridget Strand."
-I don't remember actually, but I think the death stranding just happened on accident and the extinction event was a supposed to be Amelie mercifully putting a bullet in humanity's collective dome, that's why she sort of sets up a test for Sam, to see if it actually was possible to 'reconnect' America and I feel like Sam is at least insistent on her not doing it, despite how he reacts at the very end to everything.
-I think she was 'puppeting' him, at first then his DOOMSSSS level grew or something and he figured out how to control her

On point 1 I think that the Bridget / Amelie split happened when she tried to save Sam after shooting him as a BB?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

d'aww. I just got the harmonica (in the postgame :eng99:), and I recognized what song he plays for BB while resting :unsmith:

Does he play that same song if you get the harmonica when first available?

Yes. (Also Sam’s jingle that plays when he gets a mail is the first few notes). Took me a while to realize that every character has their own jingle.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

NeoSeeker posted:

Kojima kept saying he wants to make a horror game next.
I doubt he's letting concepts from Silent Hills just stagnate in a vault.

I'm just picturing Death Stranding: Silent Hill.

Silent Stranding

Death Hill

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

NeoSeeker posted:

Also what's this about zip-lines and floaters?

I assumed it meant floating carriers can use zip lines

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Capn Jobe posted:

Well said, but I'll be using spoiler tags here, haha. I actually finished the story over the weekend. Was a bit frustrating, as I couldn't figure out that you needed to hug Amelie on the beach. I had to google that, and I hate having to do that for story content in games. Overall though, had a great time. I do have a couple questions; the first one isn't really a spoiler, but I'll be extra careful.

Can you unlock the Chvrches song in-game? The one from the final credits.
Since Sam is actually Cliff's BB, who is Lou? Just a random BB?

Finally, how do folks make use of the Buddy Bot? It can't follow you when you're using vehicles or zip-lines, so I'm having a hard time seeing its utility.

Second question- Yeah, random BB as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

Was just rewatching DUNC on the big screen now that it's finally reached NZ theatres, and seeing Paul and Jessica sliding down a sandy slope, realised how badly I need Hideo Kojima's Dune in the Death Stranding engine

As much as I love Iceland America, DS in a sandy desert environment would be cool