Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

is this a feature yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Goddamn maxing out the UCA before going to the superstorm in Lake Knot felt fantastic since AFAIK there are no prerendered cutscenes so Sam was rocking the full star set throughout the whole epilogue :hellyeah:
I also tried out calling out during the final boss to see if there's any new lines, Sam called "A little help here?!" and I was loving pelted with multi-rocket launchers :allears: The next line was "We doing this or what?!"

Worst gameplay mechanic is easily "Out of range" having higher priority than "Obstacle detected". Jesus Christ.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It does tie nicely with the upside-down rainbows.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus since Cliff was always chasing after our BB, suggesting that it's his BB, but it seems it is an unrelated BB.

All those scenes end with a hug from Sam, so he ended up catching his BB :unsmith:

poo poo, I was so sure that when in chapter 2 you get random scenes of Cliff humming the same song Sam already knew and interviews popping up at the same time theorizing on the existence of time loops it was just classic Kojima clumsy foreshadowing, boy was I glad to be proven wrong.

homeless snail posted:

You might be mistaken, it's 20 LoL jobs of each of four types, so it's more like 80 if you don't have any yet.
I was avoiding the Internet like crazy before finishing the story and this is the one thing I regret not looking up before. Spent hours loving ziplining, could have just as well set it to Hard

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The overall like count is independent of the substory stopping points, so if someone's only hangup is joining the network you can keep delivering until you get the appropriate email, then any delivery will rocket you up. If they have a unique reward for you there will be another stop before 5 stars to give them a chance to give it to you, because the star always comes out alone. If you're sure by then that your overall likes are over the limit (you can kinda gauge that from the way it increases) you can just take two deliveries to them and give 'em one at a time

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Okay game why the hell did you wait till I finished the story to give me the "Making BTs More Visible" hint that's second on the list? Does it come up on the way to the wind farm? I skipped the forest with some liberal use of climbing

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I just love ultra high concept poo poo like this. DS is the Stars My Destination of video games, just an avalanche of high concept poo poo all interlinked with one another.
The L-DNA stuff in the interviews was eye-rolling in how it crammed yet another high concept into an already overencumbered lore, in a lot of ways the game is an abridged version of Kojima's 4AM Wikipedia sessions

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

gently caress, the transition to chapter 15 got rid of all the online ziplines in the east I built my network around. Great finding this out in the middle of two timed missions :argh:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm only at 60 missions for Sam completed, and I already did Order 61....I'm clearly missing something. I cleared out the first zone, including the luden's flag and other stuff in the first zone, I'm currently caught up on pizza deliveries, I am not sure which ones I've done. Is there a way to tell?
When I went back to the east region I had the hematic grenade test, mission 15 I think waiting for me in Capital Knot. It's easy enough, just don't gently caress it up by randomly deciding to recycle 1cg at the distro center for funsies, having forgotten that that's what the mission grades you on :suicide:

e: jesus christ I literally quoted you saying you cleared out that part. I was doing memory chips today, my brain is mush

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

How can you even hoof through it if it's red the whole way across until you get grabbed? Never went into any tar, is the sinking slow enough?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lanth posted:

If anything you can start actively hunting BTs and bosses if you feel you need some more, it's nbd even on hard.
Yup, I was avoiding BT areas like crazy even late in the game, taking way longer to go around and build zipline networks; after way too many songs that went straight to the private room without being heard in context I decided I've got enough tools to go on the offensive. Really caught me off guard how trivial it is. I was sure the BTs work like any other tactical espionage enemy, with a cone of sight etc., just invisible; turns out crouching and holding your breath effectively gives you 100% camo and not only can you pass straight through them, cutting a cord refills your breath so you start following the odradek and cutting straight through :getin:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So what are the changes with the DOOMS Zodiac? Do you spot BTs quicker or something? Was that tuned to the birthdays of Kojima's director friends so they'd have an easier time?

also oh my god the birthday cake gets smaller the more poo poo you do in the private room :kimchi: you can't get drunk any time the table is different from the default though, the third animation loops for the last two cans

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Guess we'll find out when the dataminers get the PC version though!
Best thing that's gonna come out of that is getting all the dynamic layers + stingers for the MULE fight themes.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Triarii posted:

It's so weird watching reviewers who get on a motorcycle and drive it directly into rocks for five minutes and say "yep, this is a bad game". Sure, such a unique game isn't going to be for everyone, but, just...why are you doing these dumb things over and over
It is the Dark Souls of walking in that you've got to pay attention to the animation (like knowing when to let go of the analog stick when you're balancing after a stumble to avoid the bracing/cargo damage moment) and impatience will be punished. A lot of the time it's people having the game reviewer mindset and wanting to just get to the next part as soon as possible

Shadow225 posted:

How long did you all spend in chapter 3? I just fibished it and I'm at around 19 hours played, about 10 of those probably in 3. Is the rest of the game paced quicker?
Around 30 hours but I wanted to get as many pavers started as I could since a day after release the people getting to that part and receiving online resources were drawing from a smaller pool of players, netting me mad likes. The pacing is an issue, as evidenced by people in this very thread being absolutely dumbfounded by Sam calling out "Lou" at the beginning of chapter 6, as if he was progressively changing his attitude towards BB over the course of the gameplay, except that does not happen regardless of your connection level - what that is influencing is the amount of likes you get for doing exciting poo poo

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

Also what does the bell charm do, just says it has an effect on BTs.
The BT encounters felt exactly the same with it to me :shrug: Maybe they go down slightly faster? One cut is all you need anyway, enemy density is already related to the weather and that's a different charm. I liked that the Porter one does actually show all of their current locations even in faraway corners of the map. Nice to know all of this is actually simulated in real time, just like building decay changing with the forecast in other regions or corpses necrotizing and hunting for live targets

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’m kind of obsessed with (post-Higgs dialogue) “Mario and Princess ‘Beach.’” whose idea was that and how did they get it approved?
This game made me think back a lot to that MGS2 Agness Kaku interview, because there are a lot of moments that feel like they got huge pushback from the production/translation team but Kojima absolutely insisted that they need to play out exactly like this. Isn't "bitch" used as a slur in Japanese as well? This scene may really get misused by chuds with the subtitles off Still can't believe he pretty much admitted to Lindsay Wagner being responsible for his first boner.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 25, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You could have a pet theory that he was carrying himself for five chapters, then the pods got switched to Lou :haw:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

upgrade all types of structures to max (I guess other people's buildings don't count?)
fabricate all equipment, which I thought I did
Other people's buildings do count, even if you didn't contribute to level 2. You can check your progress wrt fabricated equipment in your Bridge Links profile.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think it's kind of weird he (chp15) would eschew friendship by disconnecting with everyone even though he spent the entire game developing those friendships. Even Fragile calls him out on this.
It is hilarious how he gathers everyone for a big "I finished my character arc, and so can you!" speech, then goes straight back to "gently caress America" a few scenes later to maintain at least some drama

Kin posted:

I just finished chapter 13 and while one always liked Low Roar, Kojimas ability to insert them into this game seems to get weaker and weaker the more you get into it.

I think the only times it felt like it fit were at the beginning of the game when you're on the Eastern map.
I liked that some areas of the map - like Timefall Farm's mountain peak - trigger songs on their own
Icelandic post rock is pretty interchangeable, music for moody prestige TV seems like their primary export

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I think the Cosplayer mentions a nutty sister in an email

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tertius Oculum posted:

C H I R A L I T Y
Chiral crystals, son!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SpazmasterX posted:

He can teleport and America probably had several nukes sitting around after the Death Stranding.
One interview states that people could 3D print nukes even before chiral technology came along

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Had become so convinced that beating the first phase of the Higgs fight couldn't possibly be as simple as stomping on him that I tried everything else possible first
Looking up videos of that fight I couldn't believe how many people would just run up to the guy and start punching :( He's telling you to expect a traditional MGS stealth boss and the fight's way better paced - plus you get to hear more lines - when you're skulking behind whale corpses, throwing around cargo to make Higgs do a sarcastic "oooh, who goes there?" and go investigate while you ready the strand

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

At Chapter 2 you should already have interviews explaining how social media and e-commerce fragmentarized society. Timefall, or "growing up", happens only to the people who decide to leave their comfort zones

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The world needs to be realistic, but the game should make sense and be easy to understand

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

J.A.B.C. posted:

Onto Chapter 8, and Heartman's search is both crushing and fascinating. So much for a character in the space of 21 minutes, magnificently played. Refn is great here.
Look closer at the special appearance introductions, they also provide names for the actual actors. They're in a different font and it looks really weird

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'd recommend at least fivestarring Craftsman and Engineer, because the rewards are really good for that stage of the game

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Dewgy posted:

I'm betting that this was a test run for the equipment and tech that they didn't want to toss.
Sam doesn't utter a single word during that whole detour sequence. And they're practically jumping around him!

homeless snail posted:

She's a model that Kojima follows on twitter
:laffo:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Every time you do a Standard Order to that person you get a new pair. It's just like custom hematic grenades and high-capacity blood bags

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You have to wonder if it was someone on the team taking the piss because her spoken dialogue seemed like it had the highest grade level in the game

Steve Yun posted:

My guess is Kojima just doesn't have an ear for what works in English and what doesn't, so... every time he's had great scenes with great acting that landed I have to assume he relied on the actors to make it work and maybe didn't even know how much heavy lifting the American actors did.
One thing that usually pisses me off about badly directed voice acting is when the wrong words are being accented in a sentence (the difference between "it was HIS car" and "it WAS his car" - if the direction is lacking and you have a contextless jumble of lines to power through, you have to guess). It's rare to see that in fully performance-captured scenes, but there were definitely some instances in DS. Might be what you said.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 28, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gripweed posted:

Oh yeah, getting five stars with the Evo Devo lady gets you some good poo poo to use in the remainder of the game.
I laughed hard four-starring the evo-devo biologist because any pretense of this being a game that focuses less on violence - how Kojima roped Lindsay Wagner in when she was apprehensive went straight out the window

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think a lot of the negative reactions to this game are from people who basically refused to meet the game on its own terms and blamed the game for it. Like, there are tons of "this game sucks" videos where people try to run up sheer cliffs or drive motorcycles over mountainous terrain when some of the earliest moments in the game are about teaching you not to do that.
It's absolutely disheartening watching people loving up navigating flat terrain, but sometimes they'll show you enough you'll notice they never hold the Shift Weight buttons - the change in prompt to mean hold is subtle enough and UI blindness is real
I didn't notice how the inventory management screen shows the hold X prompt on its confirm button and holding will play the whole animation - pressing once also works there, no idea why they did that

Triarii posted:

"The game makes your character stumble and fall completely at random. That's objectively bad game design." <footage of character sprinting full speed over piles of rocks>
And you can totally sprint full speed over piles of rocks! The balance system is extremely forgiving if you just follow the prompts

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

These are the only two areas I've found them, too; was scared shitless but you can just pop 'em from a distance which ultimately accomplishes nothing. The hummingbird/mosquito design is nice and unsettling

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I went back to five-star The Elder, and wasn't expecting a BT to appear in the hologram instead :ohdear:.
Is that dependent on whether you get him the [URGENT] medicine before some point in the story? I five-starred him early and there was no changes in his demeanor/dialogue well into chapter 15

precision posted:

Reviewers are bad at video games
If there's one upside to this YouTube era of game reviewing, it's seeing all those self-important pricks (that you'd take at face value in written form) just straight up ignore omnipresent UI elements and struggle to understand the simplest mechanics. I've always had a weird reverence towards reviewers and having the actual footage available just shatters the wall

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Macaluso posted:

This kind of thing was especially cool after the fight with the giant BT in West Knot City
Chiral crystals here!
Happy
Happy
Chiral crystals here!

:kimchi:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's a codec call where Die-Hardman tells you the same thing twice in a row, in the same words, then says "in other words" and still uses the same words

Then when the Ominous Five gets you back from the Beach, you first get shown how they found you, then told - first with a voiceover, then a flashback voiceover, flashback to a scene you've already seen no less; then a while later Deadman grabs you in a hallway and says "I bet you want to know how we found you" Goddamnit, Kojima

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Use online ziplines as much as you can. Figure out the most efficient switching points that branch out to every prepper's doorstep. Once you hit chiral bandwidth, go back to your first point-to-point route and note how it could be done with half the ziplines had you been smart about it. Dismantle and upgrade. Learn by doing. Keep on keeping on.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rahu posted:

Look out for stray packages that they need, once you deliver one you can take jobs from them. For the novelist's son in particular, in my game a package for him worth 50 likes always spawned pretty much right outside his place, a little to the southeast.
The Veteran Porter has a respawning package almost at his doorstep and it consistently cracked me up. Just come out and pick it up, man!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I thought it was cute to see Sam steal a cryptobiote from her at one point and then at the very end be the one to offer her one to eat. It was a heartwarming payoff. :unsmith:
His reactions to eating cryptobiotes in-game also change from "Disgusting!" to "That's tasty." I brought you another arc

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Necrothatcher posted:

Finished it today and felt very happy that I managed to figure out how to cross the tar sea without looking it up or getting any hints from the game. Working out a solution from past experience and successfully trying it felt real good.

Were you reading emails and interviews regularly? Because right before that point in the game you get a buncha ones talking about how interesting the rising structures once you get caught are. They're meant to set your mind on the right track. It's very cool mechanically that it's impossible to not have past experience with the Catchers even if you've successfully avoided BTs for the entire game, because Higgs summons both types out of the blue as bossfights

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can't get the trophy before crossing the tar belt, but that's solely on the account of Peter Englert; the west coast doesn't have fully functioning terminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's not quite the final goal, chiral ammunition helps with the Reinforced BT Balloons That Split. I almost took that goddamn pizza to Lake Knot City because both goal markers were active, thank gently caress Deadman warns you with a codec call