Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The way they've described online sounds really cool. You never directly see or interact with any other players, but you can find trails they've left in the wilderness and pick up/leave stuff in shared safe houses. That's a great way to keep the loneliness while still creating a sense of connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1133771726746210307

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

David D. Davidson posted:

I know you mean this in jest, but I'm guessing this game will be Breath of the Wild with a Soviet-era science fiction coat of paint it would not surprise me.

It really seems like it'll be a blend of BotW and MGSV. Since you work for a company, I assume it won't be the total "go wherever you want whenever you want" of BotW. Like in MGSV you'll have a pool of missions/jobs you can choose from. But the jobs will be much more exploration based than in MGSV, with your goal being to find a safe route between cities so you can make the delivery. And as you complete more jobs you'll create bridges between cities which will presumably have some sort of gameplay effect

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Breath of the Wild being used as a generic term for "open world game"?

More like "good open world game", where there's a genuine feeling of exploration and discovery and you aren't just running from mission icon to mission icon

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's a pretty good name, considering the whole theme the game is setting up about staying connected, and having the villains be people specifically in locked away homogeneous groups works towards that.

But right now it's just 'lol he said homo'

Isn't the Homo in Homo Demons the Homo in Homo Sapiens? They're calling themselves a new race of people, demon men.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ZZZorcerer posted:

that's the 'activate baby' button.

thread title

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Someone buy this tape and read the tiny text on it to see if there's any lore

https://kojimaproductions-store.com/collections/all/products/death-stranding-damage-sensor-tape-pp-tape

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve2911 posted:

MGS4 did it right. It was just 15 hours of linear crazy nonsense and no one could call it 'good'

MGS4 is fantastic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WaltherFeng posted:

I loved every single moment of MGS4 and I'd be lying to myself if I said otherwise.

The only bad thing was it had to end.

If I'm being fully honest, I do think that after a certain number of playthroughs, the level where you follow the guy can get dull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even on the first playthrough that part sucks. I still love 4 but that part was such a missed opportunity. Snake having to sneak through a civilian area is such a good idea but they dropped the ball.

It was a neat twist on the typical sneaking formula, you gotta protect a guy without letting him know you're there, it's good

Steve2911 posted:

Ok it's good. But in the same way that the Mario Movie is good.

No it was just good in the way that things are good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

I hope you get to research upgrades for your Sherpa backpack.

I assume you will, that's probably what those little hovering trailers were.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Presumably MGSV was also delayed when they had to spin Ground Zeroes off into it's own marketable game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gonz posted:

For those expensive collectors editions, at least at Gamestop, I think they make you plunk down 50 bucks upfront if you want to reserve it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've preordered the 140 dollar baby lamp

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Considering that Sam Porter Bridges works for Bridges, and the lady called Fragile works for Fragile, I'm assuming that Bridges isn't actually his name.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this is sort of unfair, because the trailer doesn't focus on "you can go anywhere" at all.

The end stinger is Mads looking straight into the camera and saying "the whole world will be yours to explore. You can go wherever you want. Even the moon"

It's kinda weird that people aren't talking about that more. You'll be able to go to the moon in Death Stranding.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1134793804706226177

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goreld posted:

Die hard man and the Moon reminds me of something - isn’t the Kojima mascot Die Hardman wearing a spacesuit?

Same mask but a different guy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve Yun posted:

In an interview Kojima was asked why he left Norman Reedus’ tattoos in the character model. He said he wants the character on screen to be both Sam Bridges and Norman Reedus.

This makes me think he’s approaching casting the way Tarantino does: he doesn’t want you to just think of the character, he wants you to be reminded of the actor’s previous works as well. Like, Bill in Kill Bill was originally supposed to be Warren Beatty. When he got David Carradine instead, Tarantino added the flute stuff to Bill’s character so that the role would be tailored to Caradine’s filmography. When Darryl Hannah’s character gets defeated, she freaks out the same way she did in Blade Runner.

Maybe I will watch some old Norman Reedus and Lyndsay Wagner shows in preparation. If I were to watch Lea Seydoux works, what should I watch?

Blue is the Warmest Color. It was like Seydoux's big international success leading role. It is a French movie though, so it's mostly scissoring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The fetus is removable

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1133985911828492293

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

puve posted:

Survive was fun and they didn't make it because they were mad at the guy who created the series

Konami made Survive because it was super cheap since it was basically a MGSV mod, and if it had been successful it would have proven that they don't need Kojima to make money off the Metal Gear franchise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JBP posted:

Just buy it after it comes out if you must know everything about the game and let the Kojima faithful play it while going haha wtf why did I buy this along with me.

I expect to be going omg this is fantastic as I play it, as I have during every Hideo Kojima game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

my guess is that the BBs are the person carrying them, like a clone or time displacement situation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of tits. This appears to be the first Kojima game where the female characters don't inexplicably have their tits hanging out. Turns out in the Koj may have been the one who was ashamed of his words & deeds after all.

Still plenty of face licking tho.

There were no tits hanging out in MGS2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coolness Averted posted:

cant wait for post apocalyptic ladder matches

I just realized that there is a 100 percent chance that you'll be able to take out a bird by standing underneath it and extending your ladder

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bedshaped posted:

If we're not seeing anything at E3, are there any shows coming up that might actually show some extended gameplay stuff?

As someone earlier said, anything that shows us what the general gameplay loop is.

Tokyo Game Show in September

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They're doing a Sam Porter Bridges Figma.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's too blurry to be sure, but that doesn't look like a Figma. It's not on a Figma stand, and the way the jacket bows out only makes sense if his hands are in his pockets, which you wouldn't do with a posable figure. I think it's a fixed-pose figure. Maybe just a one-off 3D-printed thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

Neither do stream of conscious fever dream like Kojima though.

I can't think of any part of any Kojima game I've played which I would describe as "stream of conscious fever dream".

I haven't played Boktai though. Is Boktai really fuckin weird?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, actually the Colonels codec calls during the Arsenal Gear part of MGS2 are stream of consciousness. because they're just the random connections being made by a failing AI being released to the player unfiltered

And the vampire part of the PS2 version of MGS3 is a nightmare, not actually a fever dream, but if someone called it a fever dream I wouldn't quibble.

So Kojima games do feature a stream of consciousness, and a fever dream. But one each, and they're in separate games, and there's no stream of consciousness fever dream anywhere

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

puve posted:

You forgot about The Sorrow boss in MGS3

That's a haunting, not a dream.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's like Ocelot says at the end of MGS2; "There's no such thing as magic or the supernatural, only cutting edge technology! And ghosts, ghosts are real. But not the ghost in my arm, that's actually cutting edge technology"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve Yun posted:

Didn’t the arm thing turn out to be a lie he made up and he hypnotized himself to believe it?

Yeah. That's why you get the reveal in MGS4 that it's a robot arm when he takes his jacket off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve2911 posted:

Yes but it was real in MGS2 I think.

He took the arm off and used nanomachines to take Liquid's personality out of the arm and into him.

No, the only source for that is the inaccurate and error-ridden Metal Gear Solid 4 Database. There is nothing in the games to suggest that he switched arms between 2 and 4. It was always a robot arm

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RatHat posted:

The MGS4 database is official though, regardless of if there are errors in it. And I’m pretty sure it was explicitly said that the robot arm happened between 2 and 4.

"Official" is meaningless, it contradicts the games. The Database is garbage

Steve2911 posted:

Don't we physically see the arm in 2?

He rolls his sleeve up to the elbow in 2, revealing what appears to be a transplanted human arm. In 4 he takes his jacket off, exposing his entire arm and torso, and you can see that it's a robot arm that looks like a real arm below the elbow, with a fake transplant scar

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's no evidence of an arm switch, and there is evidence that it's the same arm(the skin pattern and fake scar on the robot arm in MGS4). If there was actually an arm switch, then there should be some mention of that in the game itself. Maybe there is, god knows there's hours of Codec conversations and such in MGS4, I doubt I've heard it all. But until someone can prove that the arm switch is referred to in the game itself, it was the same arm.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the database is in the game

The database is an app that was released separately that can be accessed via the game. But it's rife with errors and is not in any way an accurate or canonical source. the Database doesn't count.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The arm in 4 looks nothing like the one in 2 though? Like the one in 4 is robotic from the wrist up, and the one in 2 is fleshy all the up to slightly past the elbow at the absolute least. Aside from Liquid's voice actor taking over, it also makes way more sense from a thematic / narrative perspective given the weird interplay of technology and actual "magic" in the series.

The skin texture doesn't go all the way up like it should, but it still has the transplant scar in the exact same place. And it makes more sense because every other magic thing in MGS2 turned out to be a lie that Ocelot had a hand in. Fortune wasn't magic, Vamp wasn't actually a vampire, Ocelot wasn't really possessed by a ghost. There was real magic in MGS1, with the psychic and the ravens and all, but it was all a ruse in MGS2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It has a transplant scar in the same place because he had the old one removed and put on a new robo one, holy poo poo dude. You don't just chop off more of your natural body if you're getting rid of a possessed demon limb.

YES, EXACTLY! The transplant scar was below the elbow, but the artificial arm went up all the way to the shoulder!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And Fortune was magic in MGS2 in the end, what is with you and picking and choosing what's actually canon based on completely random poo poo.

She was magic once, not consistently magic like when Ocelot's bullet deflection machine was on. So there was the fake magic provided by Ocelot, and some nebulous amount of actual magic. But the actual magic doesn't matter, what matters is that Ocelot was faking magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

Wtf is going on here? In MGS4 it was revealed Ocelot no longer had Liquid’s arm and he double crossed himself by hypnotizing himself to believe he was Liquid.* That’s discussed in the actual game. The PS3 database doesn’t matter bc it was probably created as marketing material independent of game development.

the argument is over whether it was revealed that Ocelot no longer had Liquid's arm, or if it was revealed that Ocelot never had Liquid's arm.