Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
The performances felt to me like everyone had a completely different idea of what the game was supposed to be. Troy Baker thought he was a typical campy MGS villain like Liquid Snake, Norman Reedus thought he was Norman Reedus, Lea Sydoux and the Amelie character thought they were in TV soaps, Mama and DieHardman were typical phoned in video game performances and Mads

well Mads was just really awesome

(I'm only up to chapter 5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also what the gently caress was the deal with

chapter 4 spoilers (Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer)

The reunion between the Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer was great- it was actually really touching! Love in the wasteland! You haven't even interacted with a non-holographic person in days and then you see true love

buuuut then for some reason the actress playing the Chiral Artist is just an extremely limited english speaker. The character isn't even written as a poor english speaker, it's just for some reason a very Japanese lady saying things that sound completely unnatural for her level of fluency.

Very Kojima thing to do get 95% of the way to creating a touching moment that we rarely see in games then loving it up with a totally bizarre unforced error

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah the chiral artist was noticeably not very good. I assumed she's someone famous for something other than acting

I didn't think mama was phoned in though

Yeah this was my thought too

either she's a super famous pop star or Kojima's favorite barista

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i still wish he'd only repeat each point 2 or 3 times, instead of 7 or 8

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I finally got to chapter 9

I am really loving this game. I think one of my favourite things about it is the pacing, which usually sucks in open world games. I love the progression from being a stupid fat drunk baby who falls over all the time, to vehicles, to roads, to ziplines, to just running straight up mountains.

You know what's more satisfying than coming back and finding the gaps to your highway filled in? Climbing a mountain and seeing an orphan zipline 2 ridges over and plonking down your PCC and getting a MAX DISTANCE zipline, hell yeah lou

It's crazy that in a game about social walking they got the upgrade progression so much better than most games about guns or swords, which seems like an area where it's much easier to come up with cool upgrades

the other thing I like about the pacing is unlike most open world games, you're working towards the same goal from chapter 2 to chapter 9, and the padding doesn't feel too egregious. Heartman chapter feels a bit extraneous but heartman is cool so i give it a pass

when you get to Edge Knot City it really does feel like you've walked across america, and kudos to the game for really making me feel like I've gone on an epic journey

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
chapter nine spoilers

crossing the tar lake was probably my favourite sequence in the whole game. The gigantic whale BTs are just an awesome design and the way the buildings appear is very cool and creepy. Also the game is a lot more fun when you're running away from things than fighting them.

Chapter 9 was mostly pretty good, I liked the giant BT and the BT jellyfish clouds. I could have done without the final Higgs fist fight tho.I dunno, it just feels like it doesn't really fit in and is only there because two exhausted guys fight-hugging in waist deep mud makes kojima's dick hard. Also I think it was kinda lame that Higgs went from an indestructible god to an MGS boss fight for essentially no reason, I was hoping the fight with him would be a lot more creative. As always the art-design is amazing - the beach with the whales floating away was extremely cool.

Overall I agree with the critiques that say the boss fights are the weakest parts of the game and are really only carried by the unique visual design. I thought the Mads sequences were good enough, but the rest of them were kinda rough in a lot of ways.

I'm really surprised that even through the often obnoxious dialog Kojima had me really feeling for most of the characters. And i say this as someone who thought the story in MGS3 was intensely awful. I think I began to groove with the bizarre tone around chapter 7.
overall story spoilers up to chapter nine

The sequence where you meet Heartman is pure kojima. Insane melodrama, comedy likes, pointless references and then he has the audacity to make you wait 3 minutes in real time in the middle of it. And yet miraculously, it works.

Fragile, Heartman, Malingen, Deadman, Lou and Sam all seem like incredibly silly characters at first but somehow most of their big emotional moments actually worked for me. The game does really make you feel that craving for emotional connection. Except Amelie, she sucks though. Not sure if I was supposed to hate her or not but I did.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

It’s easy to do actually, you just gotta make the player as miserable as possible at the beginning so that every upgrade feels great

Like, when you’re getting punched in the face constantly any moment you’re not getting punched is amazing

it's true that the initial facepunching sets the tone but even towards the end i felt like i was always becoming a better delivery boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
there's no project in the history of human artistic expression that needs an unfiltered expression of the director's artistic vision less than Death Stranding