Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

just now getting into this and while it's enjoyable enough, there's a few things that bug me.

bt monster encounters can be resolved by just walking away? for real? that kills all of the dramatic tension that's supposed to happen when you get swarmed and dragged into the tar arena. is there any downside to just saying nope and walking away from the monster encounters? it seems like that's actually the most efficient way to deal with a BT area because it then clears ALL the BTs out. just get caught on purpose and then slowly march outside the zone. what am i missing here?

i wish the game was less episodic, or that you had more autonomy in deciding in what order you wanted to help the various cities. fragile/higgs are the two most interesting characters for me, and having all of her plot just dumped on me in chapter 3 has made the rest of the plot feel very slow. i guess i also don't like that it feels like the game goes out of its way to give the actual explanation for all of the poo poo that's happening, instead of leaving some of it as unexplained mystery. i'm just about to go to edge knot city and i feel like i have a handle on 90% of the plot at this point, which just feels kinda underwhelming after the bizarre way the game opens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, there are some deliveries where the target items are inside a BT zone, meaning you can't get caught because loose cargo sinks into the tar when the boss spawns and doesn't come back until it's gone. I wish there were more mandatory ones that were like that.

that's literally not true tho. i just did the mission where you have to take the fossil samples to the evo-devo person and those are all in a BT zone and right after i picked up the last case, a BT grabbed me and dragged me to the middle of the area and triggered the monster encounter. i dropped all of my loot on the way but was able to get back over to it and pick it all up as soon as the fight started and then just trudged my way to the edge of the zone. so even if your loot does sink into the tar, it's not an instant thing. i don't even mind the monster fights except they just take way too long (the boss monsters have too much health imo) and it's always faster to just escape, even if you're trudging through black BT goop

night slime posted:

like not being able to drop stuff

that would be the only thing i can think of that would invalidate the run away strategy, as your loot get forced-dropped if you get caught.

overall the game is a solid C+. i'd probably rate it higher if i had never played breath of the wild, but after playing that game, no other open world walking simulator can compare

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

It would be nice if there were some lasting consequence to running away just to keep people from trying to cheap it out. WaltherFeng is right, spawning the boss doesn't save time, but for some people it is easier to run away from one big thing than 30 small things. There are some BT zones where you face more than one boss at once (occasionally you get a zone with like four lion dudes in it)- Maybe they could have the area just compound on itself and get more and more jam packed each time you run away until you deal with the problem.

honestly i think it would have been more thematic if the boss encounters were just an endless space that kept repeating eventually and you couldn't leave without killing the monsters, since beaches are supposed to be supernatural and don't have to follow our puny human expectations of distance

and i wasn't pre-disposed to hate DS, but this and botw are very similar in my subjective opinion. pretty much any game that primarily utilizes an open world and gives you the mechanical autonomy to explore it at your leisure is going to get compared to botw for me.

like i said, my biggest disappointment is how compartmentalized the story becomes, and how they directly explain all of the stuff that's initially spooky & mysterious. every setting detail that's initially a cool weird thing ends up getting 30 minutes of exposition at some point or another, and it made everything just feel like game mechanics for game mechanics sake. like timefall exists because they needed a reason to explain why your ladders and cars couldn't just clutter the game space forever, but they go and explain what it is and why it's there and how it works and it doesn't feel like a cool weird detail, it just becomes "the reason to explain why your ladders and cars couldn't just clutter the game space forever"

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 10, 2020

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

rabidsquid posted:

locking you in an endless boss arena when you might not even have a weapon seems like a really bad idea

I CAST FIST

also, piss

edit: also lol the unger sections clearly give you infinite respawning weapons, this is a solved problem

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

night slime posted:

You can shout for weapons in the boss fights. Other Sams throw them at you. Mostly useful except when you get a bunch of power skeletons thrown at you.

do you actually have to press the shout button? on the very first fight by port knot the white ghosts kept popping up and i am 99% sure i wasn't pressing the touch pad. i think they automatically shower you with poo poo once you use up whatever weapons you had.

do different preppers need different numbers of likes to progress their star levels? example: the collector has been at 1.75 stars for me for days, and no matter how many deliveries i make to him, the star progress bar barely moves. but all of the preppers around heartman i was able to hit 5 stars with just their intro quest and a handful of random deliveries

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Capital Letdown posted:

This is usually a 'Go back to a private room to rest, and read the emails from that person, and the next delivery will earn stars' situation.

thats the thing, the collector is one of those guys you never officially "have" to meet and he doesn't seem to have plot relevance. i've found no quests directly involving him, i just stumbled onto his cave inside the canyon by the mule camp. he never sends me email or anything.

by the same token, i'm about to go to edge knot & there's still like 3-4 map squares that are not unlocked & don't appear to have any delivery options. are those post game content squares or what brings them online?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

just got through the whole sequence of edge knot city, and it made a lot of the game feel pointless. like is there any real reason to do any deliveries outside the mandatory plot missions? you get given enough baseline equipment to progress from the story missions, and although the upgraded versions are nice, they don't really seem to make much of a difference. i mean you can't fail boss encounters (both because you can't die and because friendly sams just infinitely chuck weapons and ammo at you) so ... like ... why would i even bother to run the non-mandatory delivery quests?

i dunno, as i look back over what i spent 50 hours doing in this game, almost all of it seems to amount to "pointless time wasting" and it's underwhelming

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

AxeManiac posted:

"I played this game for 50 hours, what a waste of my time!" is the gamer's motto.

it feels like a lot of the challenge in this game is predicated on the player not knowing they're never in any actual danger of failing anything (see: just walking away from BT monsters being completely viable). i like to feel like all of the effort i spent playing a game was necessary to beat it, so having all the effort turn out to be unnecessary feels cheap. i dunno, maybe that's HK playing 12-dimensional chess with my expectations and actually the game being pointless is the entire point you philistine but it just doesn't feel good

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

rabidsquid posted:

you can just walk away from all the enemies in breath of the wild except for the end boss :v:

for sure, but can you walk away from the ganon blights and still get credit for defeating them? because that's closer to what i am talking about

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

The actual reason to do it is because you want to fulfill the goal you've been given of connecting everyone to the UCA, because you care about the game world you've been plopped into, but if the emotional aspect misses the mark for you then there's always the mechanical aspect: Upgrading connections gets you improved tools to make the journey easier. Simple as that. Sure you don't need to do it in order to beat the game or get a good ending, all Standard Orders are optional, but would you suddenly want to if they forced you to? imo it's good that they give you the vital tools through the plot deliveries and leave all of the incremental improvement to the side for people who want it.

mostly it hit home when i died in the middle of the boss fight with the giant BT and the only thing that happened was that i had to swim back to my body and i was right back in the fight, boss had the same health level, friendly ghosts still throwing guns & ammo at me. it just felt so anticlimactic, which then made me pontificate on how the difficulty of the game in general is very illusionary, which then made me wonder how many other systems largely only exist because the player is told "you should do this" and you might not stop to test whether or not there's actually a hard boundary to anything.

i dunno, i still feel like the game parts are pretty underwhelming and what HK should have done was taken Sony's millions in funding and high profile actors and just made a movie. i greatly enjoy the zany plot shenanigans, but the actual game is pretty meh. mind, the last HK game i played was MGS2 back in like 2001 or whenever it came out, so i don't have context for whether or not all of his recent games have borne out the same way.

also i didn't get upset with the whole princess beach thing but i was mad about how sam treats fragile at the end. you could see how hurt she gets right before "no, we're square, you don't owe me anything" and it made me mad at sam for being such an oblivious cad

edit: so i think i'm appropriately invested in the plot, the game part just isn't very fun

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

I should say I do agree with you to some extent, the game puts up a great illusion of difficulty but even on hard mode there's really nothing to worry about. Sam being a repatriate means that it is basically impossible to permanently screw up, aside from voidout craters making future trips through certain areas more difficult. If you destroy the cargo on a plot delivery you do get an actual "restart from your last save" game over so they do punish failure outside of boss fights. I understand the frustration with the game implying you need to take extra precautions everywhere you go and then not really following through, but imo it doesn't need that to still be enjoyable. The punishment for unpreparedness is all short-term stuff like Sam being exhausted until you rest, and so on. If you run out into the world with no supplies you're going to feel it, but the game's not going to go out of its way to make playing it actively unpleasant, and I don't really mind that.

can you actually cause void-outs in the game, like outside a cut scene? is that what happens when you use a real gun to kill a mule? like can you actually destroy knot cities / prepper bases by purposely dropping dead bodies nearby? i never thought to try that

edit: comparing this to minecraft actually puts it in context for me. you can't really die in minecraft either (you can get inconvenienced if you stuff gets broken, but you can theoretically always make more) and the game is more about making challenges for yourself than anything else

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

Yes. If you get eaten by a BT boss or gold BT it does leave an actual huge crater that you will then have to walk around (because Sam can't go in it) for the rest of the game. Or close enough to the rest of the game anyway, they do get smaller until they re-shape into normal ground after a loooooong time.

the only game over i actually got is the one where you're obviously given a trapped package by higgs and you get told to drive to south knot and you also get told to go talk to fragile but the game doesn't put a marker for her on the map, so i figured "oh well she must be in south knot city, i'll go there and see what she says" and then the instant i get past the gate the screen just goes to white with SNAKE? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

If you kill someone and don't incinerate them you get a "load your last save" game over after two or so in-game days' worth of time- but if you go far enough away Die Hardman sends someone to take care of them for you and you get docked a bunch of Likes.

does killing mules prevent them from respawning? because i've been rolling w/ non-lethal rounds and i think their camps take about a day to respawn after i clear one out. it would actually make sense why there's incinerators placed on both maps if the challenge became "yeah you can kill all these dudes and it'll permanently clear the camp, but can you get all of their corpses to the incinerator before they go necro?"

edit: also lol that ramming a dude with your truck only puts them into the unconscious state and doesn't count as a death

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i wish they would have staggered higg's journal entries across the entire plot progression, instead of lumping them 10%/10%/80% behind 3 of the usb stick things. the final one literally has higgs comments on every major plot event that sam undertakes and it's just weird that they're holed away behind the pizza missions. it just seems like those should have been served up as you go because reading all of them after everything has already happened is :effort:

is the crater on the south side of the first map (south of port knot city) the same crater as the one on the north side of the second map (north west of lake knot city)? because the sense of scale in this game is too condensed to actually represent traveling across america, i really thought the second map was going to be like the second of 10 or something, but then nope that's 95% of the game but somehow it also represents like illinois to arizona

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

screaden posted:

I rebuilt the entire stretch of road from Lake Knot to South Knot, feels good, although I wish the trucks and bikes had a radio you could listen to the music player, the constant engine noise is really starting to annoy me while I'm making these long deliveries.

good luck with the next stretch from the collector to mountain knot. i built the second road out as far as the town just after the second incinerator, but lost interest in taking it all the way to mountain knot, primarily because mountain knot and all its surrounding preppers are better serviced with an elaborate zipline network (the vehicles suck 90 different kinds of rear end when not on a perfectly flat surface)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

do they ever explain why sam's clothing (really everyone's clothing) is immune to timefall when nothing else is? even fragile's flashback shows that the barest hint of clothing protects the covered area completely. i know the obvious answer is "it's a video game don't think about it too hard" but it's a kojima game so i 100% expect there to be some ridiculously complicated and overthought answer. but i don't recall ever having a 10 minute cutscene explain in gratuitous detail why clothing garments are the only thing immune to timefall. seems like they should just be stitching big blankets out of shirts and pants and wrapping all the cargo in those first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Midjack posted:

I suspect Fragile was supposed to be nude in that cutscene except for Higgs's head covering but they knew that wouldn't make it past review boards so underwear it is.

nah, they wanted her to have big perky boobs and a tight butt in her leather catsuit and that wouldn't have made sense if she was completely nude for the timefall bath

i actually liked higgs as a creepy villain and hated how they [ending spoilers] bait and switch with him to keep the story running. battling him was way more satisfying than shooting rockets at a loving space whale for 5 minutes, even if the 1v1 aspect of his fight dragged on way too long