Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I said come in! posted:

One of the packages you can deliver is woman's panties.

When you find out the reason for this delivery you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So my favorite thing to do is:

Come up to BT territory, build a locker to put my poo poo in, get caught on purpose, beat the boss, go back and get my stuff, enjoy not having to sneak around the area all I can get past quicker.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Last night I just decided to beat the hell out of any MULES that came my way. After I cleared them out I got a message that the area was going to be clear of them for other players for a while too. That's pretty cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I started to enjoy it more when I said "gently caress sneaking" and just get caught and kill the giant BT.

I can always make more blood, piss, and poo poo!

Speaking of, has anyone thrown a pee or poop grenade on a MULE?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

If you kill the giant BT does it make the entire area clear of BTs? Because you can drop a bunch of your poo poo if you get dragged and the one time I had that happen I restarted my save since I had just left a building, instead of dealing with that

Yeah, it clears out the whole area and stops the time fall.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got lucky since most the roads I've been on are established and I've only had to add a bit to upgrade them.

I think liking stuff more marks you as active and the more active you are, the more you'll be in worlds with other active players.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah but now we have a timeframe

BTW it happened yesterday but CHAPTER 3:running into good guy porters for the first time was pretty terrifying, like two dogs meeting for the first time and not sure if they’re about to fight or not

Make sure to use the TouchPad to say hello!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was headed back to someplace and I saw a Tallneck from Horizon Zero Dawn and it threw me for a loop. Then I saw it was a hologram being put out by, I think it was a generator. No idea where the person who put that down got that, but it was cool as hell to see.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Has anyone followed a random porter around to see if they actually make deliveries?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I got this for PC, but never finished on PS4. I'm hoping maybe there will be a few mods that will help with QOL, but really got it because I now have a pretty good computer and want to see how much better it looks.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The other strategy for BTs is to build a post box before their area, put your stuff in it except for blood weapons, and intentionally get caught. Then kill the big one. It clears the area for a while and you get a lot of crystals.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zikan posted:

I know this will vary depending on play style but how much gear should I be carrying. I initially started with what the game gave you, 3 ladders, two climbing anchors 2-3 pccs, etc. but when I got weapons and started adding them on I realized my basic load out was leaving me little room for cargo. What a good initial baseline for gear to carry?

Check the map and look at where you're going through. If you're planning a trek through mountains, then you'll want to bring ladders and ropes. If you're going through MULE country, then you'll want weapons and/or decoys. It's worth keeping some sort of blood weapon for BTs in case you need to get through an area, but if captured you can always run or you'll get stuff given to you for use against the catcher.

Also on the map you can move to the right and it will tell you what the hazards are for that delivery, so that can help you change a loadout .

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shinmera posted:

God drat what is this game doing to me. Whenever I had a plan on a thing to do I got just got led down a path of endless distractions and never ended up doing the thing I had planned. Along the string of these distractions, I found the musician today and got a sweet harmonica out of it, very nice!

Some questions though:

Is there a way (maybe later) to get rid of BTs permanently? Right now it's really annoying to go back and forth between some of the outposts for deliveries and having to sneak through the same areas every time. I did defeat a squid at one point but the area got the BTs back pretty soon after, so that doesn't seem to help very much.

If you want a reliable way to avoid BTs, you'll need to build roads and eventually a zipline network. Also eventually you'll be able to check weather and see where timefall is, and you can plan trips around those areas or see if it clears up. Though some story missions you're gonna have to go through BT areas no matter what.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Frog Act posted:

xpost from the cspam thread

so trying the trip to port knot city i got taken by ghosts in the mountains and lost my bike and cargo, so had to start over. any advice for that trip? should i leave my bike behind because it's so rocky? try to follow the river? or maybe just throw some blood grenades at the BTs themselves before they get a chance to take me into the ghost lake? they're easier to take down than the squid whale thing right

If you do turn down the difficulty, when you get caught the big BT squid/lion catchers go down with 3-4 blood grenades. It also completely clears out the area of BTs for a while. So on the easy difficulties, it's a more viable strategy to offload what you're carrying (except for blood bags and blood weapons), get caught by BTs, and then kill the big catcher.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy poo poo, I'ma grind the chiral artist like a pro once I finish my current stuff- it's really stupid and boots have never been a problem, but it always freaks me out that technically boots are a non-finite resource.

Also, this has been driving me crazy for days- every so often, usually when I'm boosting in a bike, I'll hear four beeps followed by a star trek hypospray noise and get a brief moment of slow motion. What the heck is that? It's not a transfusion 'cause I'm not hurt, it's not BTs because Sam's hand buddy is limp, I'm pretty sure it's not a battery thing, so what's the deal?

You're in an area with timefall. The noise is your hood going up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers, but is there anything I should know before I get too deep into it? When do I stop dealing with NPC packages and start delivering real player dropped packages, when will vehicles and stuff start showing up? Does the game ever open up? I'd like to know as much about the game mechanically without spoiling anything please.

Wait until chapter 3 before trying to start making non-story deliveries. You'll get things that will make deliveries easier.

Unrelated, I finished building the highway system. I didn't know it went that far north. Now when I want to chill I can just do some deliveries using the road and not worry about BTs or MULES or anything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cmpterjones posted:

Really digging the game but echoing some of the eye-rolling about the story. I feel it requires some really active suspension of disbelief and some of the dialogue is just so :lol: it takes me out of it. On the other hand, I'm finding it kind of charming. Fragile's proclivity for eating the tardigrades is making me think it might be important plot-wise. Mama's BT baby though threw me for a loop, it doesn't feel internally-consistent with the existing lore about the BT's and I'm hoping it'll eventually make sense once I finally get back to the story

Yeah, there's a reason Fragile is always eating the cryptobites. And Mama's stuff is explained later.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadman owns. Don't talk poo poo about him. You will regret your words and deeds.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toadsmash posted:

I am very very over the whole tired sci fi trope of things that look and act and feel and everything else like real live human beings but absolutely must be treated as subhuman according to the will of very specifically one dimensional characters that have no real depth beyond "make the player/viewer uncomfortable." Or the usual, "Look at us being so clever with our racism parallels!" And that's Deadman's shtick so far, plus a dose of taking turns with Heartman as the game's preferred exposition dumperer in chief.

Said shower scene's creepy body language was so jarring to me it was actively tugging my attention away from one of those exposition dumps when the game was clearly going for a big reveal moment. It's a dumb contrast, especially in a game that doesn't give you a way to replay cutscenes I'll probably wish I'd paid more attention to later. Kojima gotta Kojima.

Game is just a bit lacking in an emotional core across the board. I can enjoy the constant nerd spazzing emails and pseudo scientific gibberish with the best of them, though.

I play the game so I can build highways all by my lonesome and play Rock Climbing Simulator 2020, for the most part. And boy does it ever excel at that. It's probably a blessing for me then that by Kojima standards this game is rather cutscene light.

Seriously, the game likes to hold information on characters for later. The reason Deadman acts like he does becomes very clear by the end of the game, and you'll soon find out just how awesome he is.

Throughout the game, pretty much everyone wants something from Sam or they want him to do something for him. Deadman is the only one who does something for Sam without asking anything in return.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The counter is to the pulse that shoots back out, not the one that goes in. So after you're scanned, wait a second or so then do your scan. So long as your blue scan hits their yellow one, it cancels it.

It took me forever to figure that out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

welp. They are "corrupted" according to the game. Dangit. Hopefully there are cheats so I can speedrun to my last spot. =/

There are trainers for the PC version, yes. Including one that makes it so enemies ignore you so you can just go about making deliveries without anyone bothering you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I turned my second monitor off and closed Discord and got some better performance out of the game, still left everything default but toggled on some upscaling thing?

I just got the quest to bring mama to her sister. McCree shows up and ambushes me with freaking three gold-face lions!! I got wrecked a few times by one, non-gold lion. I'm guessing the trick to defeating them is to cut their cords, since I just got that power. I tossed a few grenades before dying or mama dying knocked off of me, but didn't see any cords.

Remember that running away is an option.