Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I beat the game and want to make sure I understand one of the plot points at the end (big endgame spoiler DO NOT READ if you aren't done)

Your BB turns out to just be some random BB, right? It isn't Cliff's baby after all? Or are you carrying yourself around in baby form the whole game? I'm guessing not since I assume "Louise" means the baby is a girl.

And then if that's the case, why does Cliff spend the first few encounters hunting down BB instead of you? In the WWII beach, he's explicitly hunting down Deadman because he's carrying the BB, if I'm remembering it right. And the cutscene at the end of the game seems to imply that Cliff is cool with Amelie taking care of his baby, so what sets him off on his revenge quest anyway? Just sort of general ghost PTSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Later game BB stuff: Did Cliff actually go after Deadman? He seemed to get away pretty easily for the BB handoff. I think it was definitely trying to get you to think BB-28 was Sam though right up to the end.

Oh I spoke clumsily: I didn't mean that Deadman was his target, just that he targeted him initially with the cyclone on the mountain because he had BB. If he knew that Sam was his son, he would have just hit Sam again, but as you say, once Deadman hands off BB he shifts his sights again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Triarii posted:

I think there's one of those dolls near him every time you encounter him, suggesting that their connection to Amelie is indeed the mechanism by which he's coming back from the afterlife. But I don't recall any explanation for why Amelie would want to bring him back, or how she could send one of her dolls to him in the afterlife, or why it's happening now when Sam is like 30 instead of at any point when he was younger.

Yeah he’s always accompanied by the creepy dolls. And I could swear that at some point in the cutscene/exposition dump at the end, Amelie says she brought you together, but there was a lot to keep track of in the last two hours, I might be misremembering.

And if she is responsible, couldn’t she be like “oh by the way, here’s how you know each other”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Postgame question: is there a conclusion to chapter 15? I see the “wait for the inauguration “ objective but I assumed it would never come, since we’ve already seen that scene at the end of chapter 14. I figured 15 was just the endless postgame, am I not done with the story yet?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Endgame die hard man datalog spoiler his real name is john mcclane? Kojima, there are limits

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Finally got to play again for the first time in like 5 days, and I got to Port Knot City. Holy gently caress am I bad at avoiding/fighting BTs in this game. Every time I try to find them so I can use a grenade on them but invariably I end up getting dragged to the dolphin boss and I just run away until it's safe to go back and pick all my poo poo up :(

I found it helpful to use L1 to go into first person view now and then, it made it easier to see exactly what my scanner was pointing at. It’s especially helpful if you’re carrying a lot of cargo that blocks your view.

Other than that, just take it slow and be sure to stop every now and then to make sure the path ahead is clear.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cactus posted:

I'll never buy, play or watch this game so can someone please put, in spoiler tags if still necessary, the entire plot of this game into words so that I can point and laugh. Tia.

It’s good, actually

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a way to choose which direction you dismount a zip line from? I have been twice burned by exiting straight off a cliff, which seems like a design oversight, considering the incentives you have to place them on mountaintops

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah for the first hour it didn't make a lot of sense to me and it actually made less and less sense as that hour went on(culminating in the first trip to the Beach), but after the first voidout things start making a bit more sense. I'm sure it's not going to really make complete sense for the rest of the story because Kojima, but it's not like an entire game of non-sequitur stuff.

Story can probably be summed up as cool dad takes his kid with him to work delivering packages in the apocalypse.

Yeah, despite this being kojima’s most surreal setting, I feel like it was a more coherent story than metal gear. He did a good job establishing the supernatural elements early on so that you could get into it and then enjoy the story within those boundaries. I never reached the “wait what the gently caress are you talking about” levels that mgs2 and 4 reached at their worst moments because you knew right away that this world was just going to be weird like that

Not to say it’s flawless; there’s still stuff I don’t quite understand, mostly involving the beaches, amelie, and DOOMS (all pretty important plot elements, too). I want to play the game again and see if I just wasn’t paying attention. I also think that some of the big ending plot beats rest on foundations that didn’t feel adequately set to me (endgame spoilers): i didn’t quite get the sense of why Sam felt such a bond for amelie until after the end; and sam’s whole “I learned how important people are” speech fell flat for me because I feel like I never actually saw Sam making that realization in the course of the game, he came across pretty grumpy and above-it-all until suddenly he needed not to be. Frankly sam’s whole personality could have been better established; compared to something like the last of us, which builds and breaks the protagonist’s emotional barriers much more artfully, it felt a little thin.

But even with the shaky parts, I really enjoyed the story. I even got a little misty-eyed when (endgame spoiler)i was carrying BB to the incinerator. Although that might have just been the music tugging at my heart, the gravity of the situation was a little undercut by the fact that BB “died” offscreen, for no apparent reason other than that the plot needed it to look dead right now. And one of the plot twists genuinely caught me off guard, but perhaps I’m just dumb

I’m also pumped that deadman never had a heel turn. I just wanted him to be a big cuddly Frankenstein bro, and he was!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mulva posted:

For all that the game is much more at home using a narrative sledgehammer rather than a scalpel there are bits it doesn't hammer in your head. For instance Sam has always had his aversion to touch, but you'll notice in the flashbacks that young Sam has no problem with Amelie holding him. He isn't comfortable with other people, but he's always been comfortable with her. The only other person he really opened up to was his wife, and she killed herself. She was also an older blonde authority figure, but we don't have to open up that can of worms.

And a lot of this is stuff you'll only really pick up if you read the emails and it's not slammed in your face, compared to vast swaths of the rest of the storytelling. A style which I would describe as "Kojima jumping out of a dark alley and beating the plot into your face before running away.....to get more plot to beat you in the face with.".

Yeah it’s weird. Some points are hammered in until you’re sick of them, while some things like sam’s dead wife and child, the reason for him withdrawing from society in the first place are just barely mentioned and you might miss them entirely if you aren’t paying attention.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was thinking that I actually preferred reading at my leisure instead of having to listen to 1 million tapes but now that you mention it you’re right; in this specific game, tapes might have worked better

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Guys, how did you complete the pizza delivery where you have to hand carry the wine? Clearly, I can't bring a truck and you can't do ziplines with an item in your left hand, and you have to go all the way loving south...

Speed skeleton! I usually don’t bother with them because of the ubiquity of vehicles and how fast it kills your battery but for that specific route it was very handy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

emdash posted:

It took me until last night to figure out that repeatedly longjumping in the Speed Skeleton is extremely good. Maybe the best on-foot movement tech, because you can land into a roll from a pretty good height. If you longjump next to a slope you get vaulted up it (even if it doesn't look like you should) because of video game physics, so it's much faster that holding x to climb short slopes

You'll run out of battery quickly but with two extended batteries it's not too bad

It took me a disgustingly long time to realize you could long jump. So much time wasted...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you double tap L1, Sam twirls his dick before he puts it away

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do you ever need to poop? Can’t figure out what the point of pooping in the private room is, besides tapping on the fourth wall

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

homeless snail posted:

you get poop grenades. You don't Have To poop though

Oh right I forgot about those because they’re poo poo

Was wondering if maybe eating bugs made you poop or something. And one of the hot springs said something about aiding digestion, but maybe that’s just flavor text.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm catching up on the cliff notes and cutscenes.

So when Cliff and Sam get shot in the hospital, the fan wiki says Bridget goes to the beach as Amelie to revive Sam. Err, how? Amelie is not Bridget. I've read that in some explanations they are the same person but is it shown how comes to be?

Also when old Bridget dies the fan wiki says Amelie is made president. I don't recall any explanation of the mechanics of this succession of power. Is Amelie also holding some political office? But shes captive in edge knot city so how can she be made president in absentia?

And when did Amelie get stuck on the beach? What event caused this and when?

Is it shown how and why Amelie becomes an EE?

This is a fun test for me to see how much of this I understand myself, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) If I remember right, Amelie was "born" on the beach when Bridget was sick with cancer (I want to say she briefly died on the operating table, but I'm not confident this actually happened and that I'm not just making that detail up). She's actually Bridget's soul, which has been separated and remains on the beach, while Bridget's body went back to the real world and continues to age. I don't understand the metaphysics of this but that's what the game says; so in a way, Amelie is bridget, or half of her, anyway; I guess Bridget must have some level of control or at least influence over her. I also don't understand at all why Amelie was able to make Sam a repatriate or give other people DOOMS

2) I don't think the game gets horribly specific about the constitution or succession procedures of the UCA; I would say this is just a case of the government working the way Kojima wants it to work for his narrative with no real explanation

3) see 1

4) This one stumps me too, tbh and I'd love for someone to explain it--the whole EE thing is this game's nanomachines, for me, I got lost there. I don't know why Amelie is an EE, or why she wants to cause the extinction, but also wants to be stopped by Sam, I guess?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Triarii posted:

Amelie isn't officially president. Bridget's death was kept secret so she's still officially in charge; Die-Hardman and the gang just accepted Amelie as their leader for the expedition to reconnect the country. Not that there's much of a country to run, or any elections to replace the president or anything.

I think Amelie was just born as an EE. Hence the weird never-decaying umbilical cord that's "connected to the other side" and all that. My read was that she doesn't actually want this extinction event but she views it as completely inevitable. She sees her two options as to cling to life for as long as possible (fully believing that it's just delaying the inevitable) or to get it over with and end it with dignity. She is undecided which of these options is for the best, and is leaning towards the latter throughout most of the story until Sam convinces her otherwise.

may want to tweak the spoiler tags in that quote :ssh:

and yeah that's another fair point about the president thing; the "country" is just a bunch of people in a bunker at the start of the game, they don't exactly have a big jurisdiction or a popular mandate to satisfy; the president can be whoever they say it is really

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theCalamity posted:

Light spoilers. It's a minute long performance capture reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tYEhXxVEwo

Tommie Earl Jenkins going the distance with his performance

I wanna see the reel of Norman goofing off in the private room. I assume he was just winking at random crew guys

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Really? They took my packages also and all my gear. I got them back from a hidden mule postbox. This was the area south of the evo devo biologist.

Parts of the game still label them as “MULE” for some reason, but narratively, they’re a faction, I think.

What happens when you kill someone, anyway? I never did it. Do you just get a game over or can you crater mule camps by leaving voidout bait?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

I assaulted two terrorist camps yesterday and it owned. I just went in with a non-lethal assault rifle, a bolo gun and a handful of remote stun bombs and went to town. Then I stole all of their ceramics.

Yeah, after the slow build up of no weapons > dinky non lethal weapons > lethal weapons that you aren’t allowed to use, the first moment you actually get to cut loose and fight enemies with a gun feels really satisfying (even if the combat isn’t actually anything too special)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

emdash posted:

Is there a reason he's named Peter Englert?

There’s gotta be, right? Otherwise it’s the only subtle name in the game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

emdash posted:

oh, it's the names of the guys who worked on a certain Nobel Prize. Go figure https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Englert (spoilers there)

Ah, lol. I assume kojima wanted to call him (endgame-ish spoiler) Bo Sonn or something but someone talked him down

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Meiteron posted:

I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled on the end result of the pizza deliveries at all because (seriously though if you're not chapter 10 do not mouse over this) I finish all that main story poo poo and get an email from my favourite pizza loving rear end in a top hat and in the middle of his long winded email I literally just glance right past "great job on the pizzas but you did mess up that one delivery I asked to to make by throwing it in the tar pit" because it takes my brain a few seconds to fit in all the logical connections, and when it does I just scream SON OF A BITCH at my screen. Just, god, gently caress, of course Higgs would get you to send pizzas to his home loving base just because he could. Champagne across the entire loving map by hand.

It was really satisfying yeah. also perhaps better characterization for Higgs than anything else in the game lol. Troy Baker did his best but that antagonist just didn’t work for me at all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maya Fey posted:

i was going to start a new game because i can't stop thinking about it but i'm going to be a responsible adult and wait for the pc release instead

Yeah I’m already tempted to play again. Gonna give it some time though and let myself forget about stuff before I jump back in.

Can you reload an old save when you start a new game or is your progress gone forever?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok more story questions. So I'm confused when the 5th DS actually happens. Some sources say the 5th and current DS happens when Amelie/Bridget brings Sam back from the beach when he dies as BB. But that doesn't make any sense since Bridges the company already exists and I thought Bridges was founded after the DS. Also they are doing BB experiments on Sam at the time which is also something that should be happening post DS. Also why is Bridget wearing a die hard mask? :confused:

I’m unsure if the exact timing relative to the events of the game, but the DS begins when a surgeon performs a cesarean on a brain dead woman in Manhattan and cuts the umbilical cord, triggering a voidout that destroys the city. I can’t remember if this is ever mentioned outside of interview logs but there’s a few about it. So by the time the game starts, the stranding is in full swing yeah.

I don’t understand the mask either. For die hard man I get it, because he’s trying to hide his ID to fake his death but I don’t understand why Bridget had it at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just did the Chiral Artist - Junk Dealer orders. So with other missions you can get the cargo destroyed and just re-requisition it, but uh is it possible to get the artist killed here

I assume you just get a game over. I got one when I was delivering mission critical cargo and got sucked into a void out (I stacked it too high and it fell into the mud)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of game overs (endgame spoiler) i appreciate the fakeout towards the end of the game, where amelie acts like you have to choose between letting her kill the world or stopping her; but if you “choose” the bad ending it’s just a game over. I appreciate that kojima was with me as I thought “why on earth would I choose that”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Macaluso posted:

This was kind of a weird thing by the way. Nothing with Fragile would happen if I immediately went down to the private room. There's no way to like... call her otherwise. You have to instead go to the distribution center and THEN you'll get the cutscene. I only decided to stop there because surely that should trigger something (which it does). But what if someone is just like "well I don't need to stop I'll just keep going I guess". Why is there no way to trigger the cutscene at the first location?

I only reloaded my save one time that I can remember, and that's when you get the quest to go from Heartman's lab to the cross shaped bridge. I tried to go out of my way to avoid a BT area, but made the mistake of not bringing any ladders, so I fell off the ledge of a mountain, but all my stuff fell off of me and got stuck up there. I literally had no way of getting my stuff back, I couldn't climb up it, and I couldn't find my way back around to get up there. So I just gave up and restarted. Kind of sucked because to get to that point, I had to go through a decently sized BT area in the snow so I had to do that a second time

I actually had no idea you could talk to fragile beforehand; I set off the nuke twice before realizing I needed to do something else; the nearby tar lake felt like a clue

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spite posted:

A doctor tries to save a baby from a braindead mother which causes a voidout in Manhattan

I know I just posted this same thing upthread but I re-read the in-game interviews and it turns out I remembered it wrong. This incident is mysteriously labeled as "the doctor's last words" and "an annihilation event" but it isn't what causes the voidout in Manhattan. That happens mysteriously later during the BB experiments and is what kills the president, leaving Bridget in charge.

source:
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_1
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_2
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_3

Based on the above I'm not at all clear if the "who the hell?" moment was a voidout or not. It's only described as "an incident", "an annihilation event", and "the moment that changed everything—the moment the surgeon's hand touched the cord."

I guess this plot was more kojima than i realized

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Basically it’s before you hook up Edge Knot City.

Also this:
You will load back into the game “2 weeks earlier” to finish up stuff after finishing the game

Just in case you're paranoid about mousing over that spoiler: it's not a real point of no return imo; there is a point where you will be hurtled toward the 3-hour cutscene finale, but after that you can pick it back up and complete side poo poo at your own pace so don't worry about making any strategic saves or anything, nothing is missable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Juche Couture posted:

I get that! But I haven’t had to build a single thing beyond the mission-mandated things yet, and I never really need to plan a route because if there’s a tricky point I can guarantee there’ll be a ladder or climbing rope there already.

The overall world-building is great, I just want to do more exploring myself. If other players’ structures only gradually started to appear I’d be much happier.

Once you get to ziplines you'll probably be able to scratch that itch. It's very unlikely that whoever's stuff is showing up in your game will have built a zipline network that takes you everywhere you want to go, so that'll be on you to finish.

You can always forge new paths, too; just because someone put a ladder or a rope down somewhere doesn't mean you have to go that way. You can challenge yourself by trying to find a way around it, or put down a ladder or a rope on a new cliff, and build a road for someone else. Or just go offline and make it all disappear, whatever you want to do.

I do think that by the time you get into the snow, you'll start to be thankful for some existing infrastructure though. I really came to appreciate some of the safehouses and generators that people had laid down for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, interesting stuff so far.

If you get bored of grinding and just want to read the interviews, I think they're all here: https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews (spoilers obviously, don't go out of your way to click and read these if you want to discover everything fresh).

I don't know if anyone's collected all the mails yet, though. There's a section for that on this wiki, but I'm positive there are some missing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

Wait, wait, You get a real gun?! Holy poo poo, game changer.

I'm currently spending my time rebuilding highways in Chapter 3. Is this worth it or should I continue on with the story?

It's a matter of taste but I recommend pushing on a bit. As you progress the story, you get more tools and weapons and vehicles that make life a little easier, and you can always come back and dick around in the open world later. But there's no wrong way to play really, if you're having fun you can just keep doing what you're doing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I feel kinda silly just gushing about the game, but it's just so unlike any other game I've played in so many ways. I love it.

Yeah I'm really taken with it. I avoided all the hype and press so I went in with no expectations and I loved it.

It really nails the feeling of going on a journey, I'm already resisting the urge to do another playthrough.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mulva posted:

The answer is Kojima, and the other answer is that Kojima answers only to God.

Yeah I'm seeing people on twitter drag that line and the best defense i have for it is "no, you see, it's out of context; it's actually fine because it's surrounded by other comparably corny dialogue"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Utility pouch is fantastic and I always have it. Then either the ammo pouch or battery and the rest of the slots are filled with grenade pouches. I kinda wish the other options were a bit more competitive or there was another gadget or two. Or at least a smaller ammo pouch to mimic the grenade one. I don't know why the game thought 3 loving battery levels or a stabilizer that takes up every single slot were good ideas.

Yeah the stabilizer just doesn't seem worth it at all. Does it stop you from falling over entirely? The description makes it sound like you still have to watch out and press the shoulder buttons, it just speeds up the process. Not worth losing every other upgrade over anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

Has anybody really used postboxes in this game?

I guess it's nice to have a private personal locker wherever you are in the world, but outside of maybe a couple of times early in the game I've never used one.

At first I used them to drop off nearby lost cargo but eventually I stopped caring about that. Never really used them outside of that, unless I was stranded and desperate for a certain supply that I’d forgot to pack, but that’s kind of a Hail Mary situation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm finishing up Chip and Ironicus' MGS 5 LP and it just occurred to me, comparing the two games; there's no gratuitous horniness in this game, is there (female, I mean--I suppose Sam is naked fairly often but even that's not sexualized)? Unless there's something I forgot about, or some easter egg I missed.

Kojima's growing :shobon:

Fragile is almost the anti-quiet, in that (don't think this is really a spoiler, but better safe than sorry I guess) she needs to keep 90% of her body covered in clothes for health reasons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, lou isn't himself, he's just experiencing his own past through him?

warning for a new page--ENDGAME SPOILERS

If I'm parsing the pronouns correctly, i think that's close, but maybe not quite right? Lou is seeing Sam's memories through the magic of whatever BBs do; I'm not clear if Sam himself is seeing these memories though, because he doesn't acknowledge Cliff as his dad until the very end of the game, and you'd think he would if he recognized him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

Sam specifically talks about seeing those visions, but like the player he assumes they're BB visions. there's even a line about how it's common to see visions when connecting to a BB

I apparently was not paying attention, oops. That still tracks though, if Cliff died when Sam was a baby then he'd have no reason to recognize him I guess