Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

skooma512 posted:

I think I finally understand this game. Started chipping away at Ch.3 some more and ended up loving dropping likes on everything, hauling stuff out to people's sites, and gettings tons of likes from rebuilding roads. Leaving rope behind for people off the beaten path is fun. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

Before I had only like a vague idea of what I was even doing and it honestly felt like a hallucination sometimes.

Hell yeah 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I walked off the cliff right outside the opening cave of Breath of the Wild.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Dr.D-O posted:

I got DS as a gift from a family member, so I feel like I need to play it, but I'm really worried it's going to be a complete snooze-fest based on its reputation.

I've really enjoyed most of Kojima's game, excluding MGS V which I found to be very boring after Quiet's introduction. This seems like it's him back to doing weird interesting poo poo, but I also keep hearing that it's super boring.

It's an exciting type of boring.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I really don't know what to think about ziplines. On one hand they're very convenient but on the other hand they completely change the way the game is played to the point that I never walk a route more than 1.5 times AT MOST (less if I get lucky with online ziplines) ever, which sort of defeats the whole point of the game. Them being practically free to place doesn't help either.

Between unlocking bikes, roads, teleportation, powersuits, trucks, and ziplines, I think the entire structure of the game is overcoming hardships and then defeating them fully. The whole point of the game isn't walking places, it's making the journey. And you did make that journey, ONCE, now that you've done it, it is simple to repeat.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of which, for those that have beaten the game, did you know that in Japanese the 'pun' behind Amelie's name is different? Both are plot spoilers though so here goes:

Amelie's name even in Japanese is specifically "Amelie", not "Ameri". The Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets "Soul that's a lie" scene still happens in the Japanese version, but there's a second separate pun based on the pronunciation as it's still pronounced "Ameri" when said aloud.

Ameri. As in, America.

As in, Ameri Ka. Because she's a soul (Ka) on the Beach, and not a body (Ha).

awesome

i love this game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The items aren't perfectly synchronous, you could be getting a new object from 6 months ago and never know. There's some kind of fudging and manipulation going on but it's hard to track. It just works and works well and feels good.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Ah, I did wonder if there was some shenanigans going on. Are likes fudged too? I built a bridge between the highway and the Engineer which has ~11k likes so I figured there must be a lot of people still playing but I also see really pointless bridges with stupid numbers of likes all the time so I'm starting to wonder.

IIRC bridges get some auto-likes when you cross over them so they get boosted up way easier than other things.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The fifty or so "piss here ' signs placed around my 'no pissing' sign outside capital knot is enough proof to me that it still works

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

On Christmas I saw a penguin documentary and was thinking Death Stranding would make for a very good game about being a penguin.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The cheerleader is killing me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

you are allowed

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

luckily it was the real one so my bedtime wasn't too out there

My Thoughts tldr: great game but when it comes to the pen Kojima needed that loving oversight, jesus christ. especially for all the loving self-aggrandizement he did, it actually made me a little cross by the end lol

(e) does do a good trailer tho, i'll let him have that

It should be longer

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Overcoming something difficult, fiddly and frustrating and laughing about it is like the main appeal of the game. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

TBH I think he needs an editor in general. He's fine with big picture conceptual stuff but the actual moment to moment character interaction in his games is always really stilted and weird.

I want more