Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Bought the game for $35 at Best Buy.

Do I need PS+ to make the online stuff work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Unexpected. Thatís pretty great. Looking forward to diving into this tomorrow

minya
Sep 7, 2004

So Iím 35h into the game, and I just finished chapter 3. Jeez. Whatís the pacing of this game like? Am I like halfway through it?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

No, although the chapters eventually start speeding up. You can beeline the main plot deliveries but that defeats the cool and chill nature of the game imo

Ok yeah I figured. Iím definitely taking my time, doing lots of standard deliveries in between the story ones.

On that note, whatís the best strategy for farming resources? Is it raiding mule camps? I have 3 or 4 chunks of road left until South Knot City and they take crazy amounts of materials.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Once I discovered that you could use assault rifles to murder BTs after tagging them with a blood grenade I started killing every large BT I encounter.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Iím just now starting Chapter 8. Spent a long time sans BB building zip lines in the mountains. Iím looking forward to doing some deliveries with them without worrying too much about storyline stuff. Is now a good time to do that?

I guess Iím wondering if Iím approaching any kind of Ďpoint of no returní type situation or something like that.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Dlowmx posted:

Once you get a heart man quest to expand farther East past the evo devo is the point of no return

Thanks. Do you mean west, though?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Cool thanks both of you. It sounds like you can keep doing deliveries to max connection once the storyline is finished, right? I kind of wonder if I should beeline towards the end and play postgame or take my time and do deliveries now.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Is there any real purpose to delivering the pizzas to Peter Englert? I just did the mission from South Knot all the way up on foot, which was like 10 km altogether and took me like 35 minutes. It was a fun challenge, but got me almost no stars. How do I level him up?

Also, how do I connect The Novelist's Son? I found his little hovel and I want to connect him to the network so I can get some assistance building the road to Mountain Knot.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

I just got to Chapter 9, I think. I sat through all those Heartman cutscenes. Am I in the right spot to continue doing pizza missions?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Novelists Son is driving me insane. I cannot find his lost cargo anywhere. Itís making the road to Mountain Knot prohibitively difficult to build.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I find lost cargo for the novelist's son regularly right outside (and I mean right outside) the distro center, head straight toward the terrorist zone and it should be sitting on a little bank next to a tiny pond. Cargo for him can also spawn next to the big river leading to Mountain Knot, near a crashed online-player bike that seems to be a permanent spawn. I've seen it in every stream I've watched of the game and my own two playthroughs, even if it says a different player's name.

Hmm, OK, cool thatís good to know. Iíll do some more digging around these specific areas.

Iíve definitely checked his terminal, and itís totally blank. No orders, no nothing, so Iím guessing I need to find some lost cargo before he will even talk to me.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Once you start building roads, you will start seeing insane amounts of likes pouring in.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

I am basically a stereotypical Kojima hater. Tried to play a couple Metals Gear Solid and thought they were corny and overrated and couldnít get into the gameplay and especially couldnít get into the cutscenes.

So the initial wave of Death Stranding negativity, I was like ahh yes okay people are calling this game out for the bullshit that it is. A package simulator how stupid why would anyone play this.

But the more screenshots I saw the more beautiful the game looked and by Christmastime it went on sale for like 35 bucks and I was like gently caress it Iíll give it a shot.

Turns out itís one of the best games Iíve ever played and I think about my experience playing it constantly and think the whole thing is basically a staggering work of radiant genius.

The intricacy of making traversal the entire gameplay sounds so simple, and also so stupid on paper, but in practice itís simply brilliant. Personally, Iíve always thought exploring a cool game world is basically the best part of Ďopen worldí games, and this game leans on that and expands on it in ways I never expected.

It simply feels so good to move around, and the challenge in the game comes from dealing with the terrain, not from combat or violence. Combat exists, but itís vestigial and annoying, the least fun part of the game. That inversion, right there, feels remarkably transgressive and innovative in equal measure. The game world is gorgeous (even on standard ps4) and the music was great and I just loved doing deliveries and building a network around the game world in the spirit of cooperation, not domination.

Then thereís the story which I expected would be another hurdle ó and man, I mean, itís Kojima to the extreme ó and the game opens with you carrying your mom, who is the President, on your back, to an incinerator. Itís so stupid, and so absurd, but also self-aware in a weird, disarming way.

Besides the stupidity, itís also terribly earnest and honest and forthright with fascinating, compelling characters, even one who is wearing a stupid skull mask on his face, and it balances Ďrealismí with Ďgame-nessí in an absolutely brilliant way (another Kojima trademark, ok), and itís all so carefully balanced on a razors edge I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I ended up spending 90 hours playing it and now I wish I had a gaming PC to replay it because itís so beautiful.

Sorry that post got long but tldr: Game is 5/5 and absolutely compelling beyond all measure and transcends its genre and medium in ways I never couldíve predicted. Masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Finally got a PS5 and I started replaying Death Standing. I want to wait for the directors cut, but, drat. The gameplay is so good, and I never finished on my first time with the game. Wish I knew how long Iíd have to wait for the new version.