Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I'm not finishing this game because of the forced encounters with some of the absolute stupidest and least fun boss fights of all time. It's like I'm eating a parfait and one layer is diarrhea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help

Valtonen posted:

The (eventuall, actual) ending is Good though. Like Good Good.

Wafflecopper posted:

you could turn the difficulty down for the bosses

Ok I went back and finished it after turning down to Normal to make it less annoying. Sorry for griping in the thread, I had ragequit after three attempts to make the final run back to Capital Knot with not-enough supplies on Hard. The chiral outage and forced bossfights just felt like the game I liked had been taken out of my hands. On my last attempt, I was on a bike when the first of the forced encounters started, and Sam dived off the bike into the tar in a canned animation, damaging the delivery cargo. Alt f4

Story thoughts:
– I know as well as anyone that this is Hideo's thing but now that I am older and have things to do besides play video games, I really prefer games not have hours of maudlin cutscenes
– The whole cast did a great job considering the script. Margaret Qualley and Emily O'Brien (v.o. for Amelie) were standouts imo, they really sold some weird lines
– Cliff's last segment was the one really fulfilling part of the conclusion and was an inspired turn for that character, and the memory sequence where all of a sudden he's talking to Sam was good
– The EE stuff was incomprehensible and bored me out of my mind. Didn't care about Amelie/Bridget at all

Gameplay thoughts:
– The basic gameplay of planning, preparing for, and executing delivery runs in the face of dynamic environmental hazards is really good poo poo, and I wish that this game wasn't taken away from me for the last five hours of gameplay
– The passive social network/strand connection aspect is one of my favorite ideas in gaming of the last few years and the execution was good
– The visual design, sound design, and overall atmosphere is excellent, and I loved the small immersive touches like letting Sam sit and rest while I got up to get some water instead of just pausing the game, etc.
– I agree that this game could've just not had combat at all, or just close combat against MULEs. The movement system and controls were not designed for run-and-gun combat and it just was not fun
– Boss fights were boring and frustrating. We know Kojima knows how to design interesting boss fights, like look at MGS3 where each boss has a specific atmosphere and set of mechanics to exploit, why is every boss in DS (beside Higgs which was ok) just a thing you shoot for 5 minutes
– BTs would've been cooler if each encounter were a single scary invisible miniboss with different sets of behaviors/traits that you had to figure out to either defeat or evade it, kind of thinking of the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system here. As it is, there are no really engaging or interesting aspects of interacting with BTs

Nitevision fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 18, 2021

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
Oh one more thought: Why do lethal weapons exist at all lmao. Why do they even let me print those?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
Word I get that they have a narrative role in the game's world but why can I print them out in my employer's office? Is anyone at Bridges/UCA like "hey it's okay to blast someone occasionally if you have to, voidouts aren't a big deal"? Maybe I forgot