Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

BB is most definitely a metaphor for big boss and the whole plot is clearly an allegory for the development of MGSV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Kohima loves to make trailers and I consider them apart of the experience of death stranding, you might be spoiling yourself by not watching it :ocelot:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

A YouTuber I follow on Twitter was discussing whether or not he'll play the game and whinging about how reviews say it takes 20+ hours to get good. I was like, my dude you have over 200 hours of Fallout 4 up on your channel and that game never got good.

The 20 hrs is not a thing that concerns me at all. It took me that long to see what all the fuss was about Witcher 3.

It took until my second playthrough to like the Witcher 3...

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

JBP posted:

I'm sure there will be, but not many people were playing it at once and some would have been mauling through it day and night. If you play it at a pace where everyone else is playing I bet it will be easier to play and there will be much more infrastructure to take advantage of.

E: I obviously plan to be the moron doing twenty hours a day getting all the likes for my ladder

I think it would be cool if speed-running gets faster and faster as the infrastructure gets better and better. I doubt that infrastructure will be permanent, but we will see.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The core gameplay loop does sound intriguing - I'd be fine with a game that's just hauling cargo and rebuilding a shattered landscape, that does sound interesting. But it sounds like the main problem with the game is that it keeps getting in its own way with half-baked combat, unnecessary weird indulgences that slow down the game, and overlong, overwrought, really badly written dialogue.

This describes most MGS1 through MGS4 and those games rule

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Tim Rogers is the only review you need. Hell, it’s probably worth the 60 dollars to play the game and then watch the review bro

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Asking about gameplay loop is very reductive. A games value extends way beyond a “loop”.

What about the music, story, art? Games are very complex and their value extends beyond mechanic tasks which happen on repeat.

It’s not so much that the gameplay loop doesn’t exist, it’s that asking and prioritizing it as the most valuable aspect of a game is boring.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Seemlar posted:

I don't think it's reductive when an entirely valid question about the game for a long time was "but what do you DO in it?", and that the eventual answer is something pretty unusual and outside the norm for what the genre usually produces

Explain to me MGS4 in terms of a gameplay loop.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly don't think you or half of these other people even read my original comment that set this turd of an conversation off. You are arguing with no one. Literally no one said anything at odds with this, so I can't even figure out who you are trying to address.

:justpost:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Modest Mao posted:

I think the kind of people who save their elixers well past the final boss of a game "because you can't buy more" are going to hate death stranding
The kind of people who run strait in FPS games shooting, dying, respawning their way through the level are going to hate death stranding
I also think the kind of people who mash buttons in fighter games are going to hate this game
This streamer seems like all of the above

He's making every route a straight line from A to B, just running straight, maxing out carrying capacity, never using ladders or ropes, running straight through every enemy camp and BT infested area

The game is definitely about strategy, when to use items, how to plan your trip, what to carry, how to navigate enemies. If you just hold sprint and head in the direction of the delivery with full encumberment every time you're going to be playing a very frustrating game.

A lot of the early preppers seemed to have dropped items just outside their camps and he always grabs it after making the main delivery and sprints away, carrying it to the next prepper, rather than turning around and spending 30 seconds to deliver it.

I see why reviews are split.

I’ve never seen a single post more accurately describe Jeff Gertsmann

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’m driving from Seattle to Portland tomorrow and I’ll be picking up my Death Stranding CE from Best Buy on the way back. I’ll post impressions of my trip, you’re welcome.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Day Zero: I sit at the hotel bar, 2 1/2 drinks in. I will order another one.

I asked my girlfriend, do you think death stranding will be good?

I’ve contemplated this question for a week. I’ve watched some reviews, stopping when I get too much information.

She replies, “Do we have HBO?”

I say no and goodnight. I don’t need an answer. I’m about to finish the prelude.

Tomorrow, I’ll drive three hours to deliver Death Stranding to my house. Tomorrow, I will deliver my first package.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Most quests aren’t fetch quests they are...
delivery quests. Also apparently I’m addicted because i got a trophy only 4% have gotten and I spent all day not progressing the story in chapter 3 lol

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

American McGay posted:

No it didn't.

IGN (6.8), Giantbomb (2/5), & Game informer (7) scored it low.

Interesting that IGN Italia gave it 98 and IGN Japan gave it 95. Kojima *probably* is referencing/only cares about that.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

American McGay posted:

7 isn't low lmfao

Scales are warped but 7 is definitely low. Developers don't get bonuses for 7s.

In the customer service world, a rating less than 7-8 is considered 'acceptable, but not good'. A 6 is considered bad.

I don't necessarily agree with that - but that is how companies operate whether I like it or not.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

(Looks at desk, sees 90 minute philosophy video essay)

(Looks over shoulder at Kojima’s desk, sees eight hour philosophy video essays)

8? Try 80

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Most of the background tech/story gets explained in the interviews and emails. I agree that it is much easier to follow than MGS2 or 4. I think it works for 2 but not for 4.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm seeing people on twitter drag that line and the best defense i have for it is "no, you see, it's out of context; it's actually fine because it's surrounded by other comparably corny dialogue"

The best defense is to just unfollow imo.

I’ve watched a lot of game critic sites discuss death stranding - Game Informer, Giant Bomb, IGN, Dunker, Kotaku, etc.

90% of the takes are terrible and then that filters down to the internet outrage machine. There are a few exceptions but the random gamer thinks Death Stranding is game “where you just walk and watch a movie”.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

Not reading the thread because I don't want to be spoiled, but did want to ask a question.

How long did you all spend in chapter 3? I just fibished it and I'm at around 19 hours played, about 10 of those probably in 3. Is the rest of the game paced quicker?

Some chapters are an hour or less.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So now that I'm finished can someone provide either a wiki or a big ol' spoiler block of all the wacky secret game mechanics from like Giant Amelie BT fight onward?

Specifically is there anything weird you can do on the first credits/sams beach scene? And does anything happen if you don't try to shoot Amelie first before the Hug?

On the second question You can press the touchpad and Sam will say things like "this can't be over" and "is this a bug or something?". In fact there are a lot of situations where Sam will say lines relevant to the scenario you are in. My favorite is the hot sprints where Sam will sing and then players around you will reply in song. I tried shooting Amelie and nothing happened. When you go into the menu it will say something like "it appears bullets have no effect", but otherwise nothing big.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Removing other players game does not free up your bandwidth to build more structures, but people who delete a lot of other players structures say new structures will appear overtime.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

setting back out into the first area after finishing the game is really funny because you can see a lot of peoples "test" structures like 20 different ladders going over an easily fordable river or rope lines attached to a "cliff" that's about 6 feet tall.

I was talking to a friend who hadn't played the game. I was telling him that the game reminds me a lot of BOTW mixed with a bit of MGSV but still unique in a lot of ways. He then proceeded to tell me that it was "nothing like" BOTW" because you can go the final boss right away and therefore BOTW takes "more skill".

Buddy, until you've gone all the way across the map with your container damage at 99% but your cargo damage at 0% and you've used the minimum amount of items necessary to complete the mission with the maximum amount of cargo and the shortest possible route don't talk to me about "skill".

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do any emails/interviews (Mads stuff)go further into Cliff and the War Beach? Like why he exists in all of those war beaches, has his own BT warfighter squad, etc? I remember either an email or an exposition dump about how war can create special shared "bad" beaches that just keep people in them fighting forever wars but other than that idk if I ever found any info

I don’t remember where this is explained but the basics are that he is a ghost that is driven by his desire for BB/revenge. His power emanates from that which is why he is able to traverse between beaches.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am a bit confused about the ending: ENDGAME SPOILS!

Where does Lou come from if Sam is who he is?

Lou is just a regular bb created to use as a machine. Sam named him Lou because that was going to be their sons name before his wife died

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I think the ending few hours could have used a save point like in Metal Gear games. It is a nod that there is a good break point and you can finish up later.

Some of that is on me because I just had to get to the end, but I should have probably taken a break for the night (obviously end game spoilers)when you have to trek back from port knot city to capital knot city. I instead rushed through that sequence and it was more frustrating then it was fun.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Doesn’t the game auto save if you just sit down on the ground?

It does auto save. It's not about the need to save it's more about giving the player a hint that you still have a long way to go in a 4th wall breaking kind of way.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

UltraRed posted:

Can you delete vehicles, or is the cosplayer's house just always screwed?

My truck got stuck in front for about 30 hours of in game play until it finally got destroyed by time fall. I’m sorry everyone.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That's a good point. I never did it, but I assume you have to take any body you kill to an incinerator or tar lake?

As for that mission, I walked the whole time with Mama - climbing down canyons, crossing rivers, etc. - and it was my favorite mission in the entire game.

I think a lot of the negative reactions to this game are from people who basically refused to meet the game on its own terms and blamed the game for it. Like, there are tons of "this game sucks" videos where people try to run up sheer cliffs or drive motorcycles over mountainous terrain when some of the earliest moments in the game are about teaching you not to do that.

It is 100% this. They are also apparently pissed at the kinda big spoiler dialog mario and princess peach line.

Giant bomb spent 3 minutes on a podcast saying how dumb it was and there are tons of YouTube videos showing that scene where people berate the story.

I personally loved that line and that the writing is very aware you are in a video game. The constant references to continued, game overs, etc. are fantastic in context and it makes that line a funny albeit corny culmination of that theme.

I don’t get why people are trying desperately to hate on the game - hell even this thread is 2/5 despite nearly everyone posting loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Rascyc posted:

The way they situated the mountain city was pretty genius too. You have like three prime opportunities to say "ugh, gently caress this plot noise I'm going to take a short cut" and lots of hilarity can ensue. I really liked the mountains.

My favorite two hours of the game was the first time I climbed over the mountain with none of the cool stuff you get later.