Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Maya Fey posted:

i was "snowboarding" down the mountain and i saw 3 porters on their way up so i tried to Like them on the way down, accidentally smashed into one of them and got docked 100 Likes

I thought the first two I saw were mules and bolo'd them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Love throwing piss at ghosts while delivering a timevault filled with cum

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Heavy Metal posted:

I just got to chapter 4, seems pretty cool so far!

Just like Stanley Kubrick knew, precious bodily fluids...

THE INTERMUNICIPAL HEARTMAN PLOT TO DIVERT AND PURIFY MY PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Phenotype posted:

Plot hole: If Fragile got drenched in timefall and has an old woman's body, why that rear end look so tight in those leggings?

it's a stillsuit

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

A Sometimes Food posted:

We really should have type 4 cum grenades.

Or let us smear sticky white stuff onto weapons like Demons Souls.

That's the type 0

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

SardonicTyrant posted:

Delivery Daddies

Ghost Office

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

precision posted:

Okay I know this is a coincidence but lmao, I just read an email that says "if you dodge your taxes, you can't be surprised when nobody looks after you. Quid pro quo and all that"

The Elder has a lot of obvious references to current politics.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

MULE war bus gang: THE MAN HAS CARGO, ONLY WE CAN DELIVER IT

Me, pulling my bolo off the tool rack:

technically a lot of cargo ended up being delivered by the mule truck

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Didn’t realize the mules were such pushovers. I’ve been avoiding them running back and forth doing jobs for the engineer in chapter 3

Their main threat is in numbers but once you get a bolo you can just, like, walk backwards and drop them like fish in a barrel.

if you're on a vehicle you can usually scoot through their areas faster than they can intercept you, and if there's an elevated road they just kind of hang out next to it like frustrated bums

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

veni veni veni posted:

My road situation sucks. Somewhere early on in Ch3 the entire stretch from the capitol knot down past the engineer just instantly appeared. And I thought, Wow, people are really putting the work in, so I spent a couple of hours building out a section by the craftsman and was burned out after that. I figured it would keep growing though. Probably 20 hours and 2 chapters later and it hasn't grown an inch.

I've obviously rested, reloaded etc. many times since then but nothing ever changes and I'm not going to spend 500 hours doing it myself. That first time it appeared, it seemed so neat, I don't know why it just stopped.

poo poo you might be in my game because I built a bunch of road and there ended up being a single stretch running from lake knot to just past the craftsman where there's a junction, but then it seemed like everyone suddenly got tired of hauling poo poo between the craftsman and the engineer and the dude in the city and just moved on to the weather station.

I'm gonna have to go and mow down some more mules for metal and ceramics so I can start getting roads built in the next area because I really want to find out where they're gonna put the dang roads in this rockpile

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I have kinda the same situation here. (Hi thread !)
Once I connected the engineer and the craftsman to the network that whole stretch of road appeared out of thin air but nothing has evolved since and I've been building the road south by myself for a couple days now. Although there are typically some mats already deposited in the auto pavers so I don't know what's up with that. Why would players deposit large amounts of mats in an auto paver in the middle of nowhere, disconnected from the main road? What's also weird is that I keep getting notifications that people are depositing mats on stretches that are already completed.

To me this looks like the road building system is not as collaborative and shared as they want you to think. That's ok though, it's a chill and cool thing to do in between long hauls.

My guess is that they picked up materials from MULEs or found stuff on the ground and decided to drop it off in order to have more room for deliverable cargo. You can also raid MULE camps and postboxes, which in my experience have a decent amount of materials too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

nachos posted:

I just remembered the ladder sequence in mgs3 and now I canít help but think Kojima has been making this game for 20 years in his head.

"what if all of snake's gear was visible and carried on his back/body"

There's a part of me that thinks a version of the MGS3 wounding/healing system would be right at home in this game. Stumbling on some rocks gives you a chance of breaking your foot, which you have to splint. You can take painkillers which help you move faster but it affects the speed of healing. You have various levels of casts/splints for feet/arms/legs/hands which restore different degrees of motion/speed. You need certain boots to tackle certain terrain or else your chance of getting a foot injury is increased.

Then again, I think making the game any more "realistic" (e.g. punishing for lack of detail focus and preparation) would shove the enjoyment of it off a cliff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

JBP posted:

Jesus I wish there were situations where Sam could break a leg and die up until you find helpful stuff I Chapter 3. Really separate the real gamers from the Americans.

you might say that would shove the enjoyment of the game off a cliff

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Seems to be a few others building roads in my game. The game is also vomiting thousands of likes at me because people use the road I chucked a few hundred metal and ceramic into. Thanks I guess!

I beat up a couple porters thinking they were mules (they were in or at least near a mule area and I thought I'd gotten the drop on them) and lost 13k likes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

HORMELCHILI posted:

Building the roads is super easy do you people forget that theres stores of thousands of each material anywhere with a terminal? You can also check the share locker at each of those places, and postboxes that people like to build pretty close to roads from what ive seen. That being said you dont really need to rely on roads outside of a few sections where they transform a hard route. Id recommend building the entire thing from lake knot to south distro though

But there's not, at least in the places near the pavers in my game. They've all been picked clean by people building stuff that isn't roads.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

HORMELCHILI posted:

Im talking about the stash of literally thousands of every material anywhere with a printer thr mailboxes are just a little extra thing you can also check while running materials from those

Yeah the "claim materials" option.

Those are empty too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

You can charge up the bloodgun by holding the fire button. If you're plinking away with uncharged shots and wondering why the ghosts arent, uh, dying - try hitting them with a fully charged round.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Spite posted:

i have not been able to use MULE bodies as bombs wtf kojima.

corpses don't do anything? am i missing something?

They're probably just knocked out. The game will absolutely let you know if you kill someone. It makes the baby freak out, skullguy calls you and yells at you, you can't miss it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

DalaranJ posted:

Vehicle collisions only ever deal KO damage. I know because I got into an altercation involving a speed skeleton and a Mule truck.
*coughs* multiple times.

You can kill a mule by running them over enough times. Yeah they get KO'd when you hit them the first time but leaving them on the road as a speed bump results in a horrible slog to the incinerator.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Qmass posted:

edit: you can also deliver materials for road construction direct from the truck if you drive it up onto the steps

Park it "behind" the popup terminal (i.e. the side where the road will be) and then access the terminal from that side. It swivels around to follow you so you can just climb up on the platform and do it with your back to the truck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Modest Mao posted:

Odradek as described by Kafka in his story "The cares of a family man"

pretty sure Mama is holding this exact thing in all of her scenes

that's almost certainly what it is and the usage of the term in-game is almost certainly intentional:

"In vain I ask myself, what will happen to him. Can he die? Everything that dies has once had a sort of aim, a sort of activity, which has worn it out; this is not the case of Odradek. Will he therefore one day tumble down the stairs before the feet of my children and my children's children, trailing a line of thread after him? It's clear he does nobody any harm; but the notion that he might even outlive me is almost painful to me."

an undying aimless thing trailing a thread you say

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Taintrunner posted:

Did anyone ever figure out what the gently caress DOOMS stands for. I'm sure I missed it or something

iirc it's never explained what it's an acronym for, but seeing as the effects are all over the place but all deal with dead poo poo I'm guessing the D stands for dead/death and S is Syndrome.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's automatic. Try driving in deep water.

Also jumping isn't anything special with trucks, you just kinda off the ground a bit but it's some straight up Evel Knievel poo poo on a bike reverse trike.

Anyone notice that the monster cans get replaced with timefall porter beer in the distribution center south of lake knot? You can get rather plastered on them, he starts dropkicking the empties over into the corner by the fragile umbrella, shaking cans and blasting them into the camera like an F1 race, then after idk a handful he sweeps everything off the table with his arm before freaking out about the now-loose cryptobiotes, stomping a couple on the ground and trying to shoo flying ones away before shaking the jar and letting the rest out. Then if you try to check out BB he staggers over and goes at the kid like he's trying to get the attention of a fish at an aquarium, thumping the glass, leering at it, etc. You could go the entire game either never noticing or never caring to drink them, and they decided to throw in this whole set of goofy extra sequences because that's exactly what would happen in a game from Hideo goddamn Kojima.

Also in my server apparently everyone has pissed on Conan O'Brien's doorstep. Walked out after connecting them and into this wizard of oz style mushroom garden I went, filling my pockets with cryptobiotes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

precision posted:

All the grenades are also useful for areas where you have to retrieve a bunch of items because you can just clear out a path instead of actually bothering to kill ghosts

Both ways are equally valid, the game just gives you tons of ways to deal with problems

they also don't use blood, though the game spits enough blood bags at you that unless you're intentionally avoiding carrying any you'll almost never be without 4-5 of them on hand at all times (unique scenes notwithstanding).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

dvorak posted:

If you get to a high point and just piss on BT's it works the same as throwing an EX grenade at them, which I just found out after running into one with no weapons.

lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

redreader posted:

finished the game and not sure if anyone mentions this: I keep on thinking there's some kind of weirdness with time. Sam is mentioned as 'the legendary courier' by some people, and unknown by other people. It's like some people already know everything he's about to do? Also what's up with the multi-sams? The other players? Is this all explained if I do post-game email grinding?

Chiral poo poo is weird and timeless in the game iirc, like they were talking about transfer speeds being instant because they were sending it from the future or something, and they stabilize sperm/egg shipments with chiral poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I think "sterile" would be a good way of describing the intended world in game since most of everyone is dead as hell and everyone still alive is in bunkers with few exceptions

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

veni veni veni posted:

Has anyone figured out if lethal vs non lethal actually matters at all? Does it actually do anything in the game, prevent a trophy? Anything?

Also die hard man says to get rid of the bodies but afaik that isn’t even possible.

lol please report back on what happens

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

They're wrapped up but you have to carry them on your back, to the exclusion of nearly everything else.

The incinerators are kind of distant from the rest of the game's places so you have to carry a dead body for 2-3km+ and the terrain is not exactly conducive to driving

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly is the date supposed to be? How long since the Death Stranding?

eh it's a Jeremy bearimy thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

abraxas posted:

But what if you had a cargo dropoff that busted out of the ground and then beep boops the package directly in front of your feet on the toilet?

edit: and also the delivery person is potentially a crazy man who's only delivering this to you so he can break into your house and steal all your stuff to "deliver" to other people!

also ghosts can show up unannounced at any time, the rain can all but kill you, chiralium contamination happens to things and seems to be pretty bad, dead people explode, the roads are a mess, and honestly where are you gonna go anyway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

DalaranJ posted:

Sam, this is Turkey Eatman. I think it's about time I explain how I got this name. But first I need you to bring a small consignment of 75 kg of cranberry sauce down to my lab.

SAM THIS IS CHUG BOOZEMAN

I NEED A RIDE

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I said come in! posted:

The end game credits listed a bunch of Sony owned game studios that worked on this game, and their staff credits were all significantly larger. Santa Monica, and Guerrilla Games were two of the stand out studios I noticed that worked on Death Stranding.

what about CDPR

Modest Mao posted:

very good gestalt psychology lesson

their dude gives you a psychology lesson

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Raptor1033 posted:

Oh hey, if I hit a MULE so hard with my vehicle that I got blood splatter on the windshield; does that mean a trip to the incinerator is in my near future?

probably not, did it make the kid freak out? If yes, RRROOOOADKILLLL. If no, your high speed vehicle impact merely knocked out the post-apocalyptic cargo raider and you can continue on your journey.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Tertius Oculum posted:

Where's my Yakuza game Directed by Kojima? Lmao

the sins of mankind do not yet merit such punishment

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Lanth posted:

I had a trike get stranded on top of a timefall shelter since they automatically bury into the ground when the catcher appears, and rise back up after you defeat it. I couldn't get it back down nor start another fight since the BTs were gone, so I was pretty glad there was nothing important on it. Had to chuckle when it happened.

It wont let you put a ladder up on a shelter?

I mean it would make sense under "no overlapsies" logic but on the other hand the game gives you a lot of freedom otherwise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Steve Yun posted:

Hey why is everything in your HUD in metric but the cargo hard points on Sam’s suit say “LOAD CAPACITY 200 LBS”

Because it's a relic of the old world before the blessed stranding exploded every bastard who believed in the imperial measurements system

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Quinton posted:

Postgame I returned to the Land of Chapter Three and upon arriving with a truckload of cargo at Port Knot City I noticed some rear end in a top hat had left a truck parked right in one of the gate lanes heading up to the distribution center. What the hell. Then I realized that rear end in a top hat was me, because of a late game cutscene yanking me right out of the world and apparently leaving my truck behind.

not gonna lie that's some on-brand kojima poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

the ghostman with n reedus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

So is the basic premise that humans filled hell with tweets and now the souls of the damned stalk the living