Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lmao I forgot about that whole thing with Ocelot's arm, Metal Gear Solid is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Outside of Death Stranding, that sure is a boring list of games up there. Borderlands more like BORED-ERLANDS. or whatever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I unironically hope there's more walking around with a baby than combat :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You can experience that for yourself now, it's called going outside!

Uh no? That's where the sun is? :confused:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

The reason everyone is doing a 180 and calling the game amazing now is because after 10 hours the game pulls a MGS2 and Norman Reedus dies and you play the rest of the game as Norm Macdonald.

This would be amazing. Conversely, put Norm in the game as one of these celeb NPCs, and when you find him you get locked into an unskippable cutscene of just him telling this joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-MJy7w69EU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

The specific instance they're probably thinking of is Laura, from Kenji Eno's D, D2, and Enemy Zero.

Is that the girl from A Bee Movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hyFSivSmw

In very Kojima fashion, it's nearly 8 minutes long

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also, was that a dinosaur swimming around at the 3:15 mark?

Kojima, you magnificent bastard.

Looks like the whale thing that's shown at the end of the trailer. It's got the same back

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

how spoilery is that trailer, is there new music?

The first question is impossible to answer cause Kojima, yes to the second I think?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

redreader posted:

Also that the NDA they had to sign was the most ridiculous one they'd ever seen and that certain spoiler/plot points were marked as 'do not mention'. I didn't ask for any details on the game and they didn't give me any.

That rules

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

poo poo this comes out so soon I thought it was releasing on the 20th

You're thinking of the other weird hosed up game: Pokemon

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm not reading the full reviews cause I don't want to risk spoilers from them, but the summaries all make it sound like there's a ton of just walking which... is awesome, that's exactly what I wanted. I saw the small bit of "combat" gameplay they showed and hoped that wasn't a very large portion of the game. I'm all about his loving weird nonsense fedex simulator

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

haunted bong posted:

it looks like a stupid game for crazy people, so i want it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Iím very torn about this game because I loving love Kojima and all of his crazy bullshit but the gameplay sounds so boring to me. I donít think I can risk $60 and will probably wait for a sale.

Who am I kidding at some point I will cave and have to explain to my wife why I spent $60 to run across America.

Fool. You are walking

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm a baby in a jar Morty! I'M BABY IN A JAR RIIIIICK

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I haven't read any pre release stuff: Can you change the difficulty at any time?

edit: Nevermind I should probably hit "start game" next time before I ask a question :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I only got to play an hour of it (it is late here) but despite them throwing a billion confusing and weird things at you at once, and despite them talking about things and using words and phrases that you have zero context for, it all feels like it has some kind of internal logic. Like it doesn't just feel like you're being fed a bunch of nonsense, it feels like everything being said all makes sense by the end of this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man I relate to Sam and how literally no one in the world has any sense of personal space

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 8, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh loving god the controller makes baby crying noises while sneaking around the BTs :gonk:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

Content check: could a 9yo kid watch this game played without being scarred or growing up to be a Metal Gear villain?

I was really hyped about this for a while based on advance reviews, but the actual player word of mouth seems a lot more subdued.

I think the parts with the BTs could be pretty scary but every 9 year old is different.

I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far. Granted I'm not very far in yet, but I think the story and the characters and writing are all perfectly fine. It absolutely nails the atmosphere it's going for

The only things I'm kind of "eh" about right now is A) the having to keep your balance when lugging around certain packages isn't really a fun mechanic and B) I wish directional line from you to the objective took into account an actual route, because I've had to stop and back track and go around a wall or mountain or waterfall a few times

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

American McGay posted:

You're supposed to zoom in on the map and plot your own route at the start of every delivery.

lurker2006 posted:

That's a good thing, would you want all the navigation in a game about navigation to be done automatically for you?

I would yeah to be honest. Or the option to have it do that if I want. I'm not super interested in doing it manually. You have to navigate the terrain either way

I'm enjoying all the other gameplay stuff though. The sneaking around BTs is properly tense

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Bernie Stranders

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is there any reason to hold on to the Monsters or should I just chug the entire pile of them right away? They increase max stamina but I don't know if there's some reason to hold on to them or not

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at this part where I have to make the bridge for the first time. It clearly wants me to build a bridge in the specific spot. but there's already part of a bridge there. Am I supposed to be building next to it? I must have missed the instructions here somewhere

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:doh: That was my problem, I wasn't holding the button

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I got dragged through the goo for the first time :stonk:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So after you get the bike, you get a job to bring a thing back to the first city in the region a thing in 30 minutes. A cool thing was that on the way there, I have come across two player made generators so my bike has gotten fuel refills on the way there. Running into player made stuff is super cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Panzeh posted:

It's cool, though it does make the game pretty easy.

I'm playing on easy like a scrub so that works out :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

lets hang out posted:

losing my mind at the 5 cans of monster they drop in this guy's room every time he checks in

They never drop in like, a grilled cheese or anything either, it's just a pile of Monster energy drinks. All this bastard eats is flesh worms

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's set in America because Kojima wanted his story to take place in America. Who gives a poo poo if it looks like Iceland!!! There are shadow ghost people turning corpses into craters, shut up!!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Being repetitive and pointing out what you are already looking at with your own two eyes is definitely a Japanese writing thing

Let me tell you about a little game called Persona 5 :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Today I learned you can't just power through BT areas with your bike. I just reloaded my save since I just left a place. But yeesh it dismounts you from your bike and also makes you drop a ton of your cargo. Then drags you quite a ways away

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

blue squares posted:

You can sometimes! The area along a river in chapter 2 I powered through

That's the area I'm at, and yeah the second time I took the shoreline instead of trying to just drive right through the field on either side.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

If you leave your bike somewhere and go forward on foot, can you like, recall your bike at a garage or anything or do you then have to go back and get the bike? Can you build a new one?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sekenr posted:

For people still defending this game as good I'm just going to post this:
Once, there was an explosion,
a bang which gave rise to life as we know it.
And then, came the next explosion

Hideo Kodjima a writer of words :D

Hell yeah it owns thanks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Why does the baby like when I pee

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just met Troy Baker's character. I love him already

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wow that boss fight was super cool. I was honestly dreading it because I tend to dislike combat in a lot of games. But it was actually a lot more forgiving than I was expecting and visually the whole thing was stunning

edit: Also I loved seeing all these after the fight was over :3:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 9, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

i want more sunglasses

I wish I could separate the sunglasses from the weird forehead skull bit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nothing is stopping you from playing a Swery game instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just got fast travel! I loved everything about that whole scene. Fragile is cool. Cool teleporting umbrella girl

blue squares posted:

I do my best to help build every road I see. It's so cool to see them develop and I feel like I've contributed to a group effort. Which is exactly the theme of the game

It was neat loading up my game this morning and walking out of the base and seeing a new bridge just, there, that another play built at some point overnight.