Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still in episode 2, but I've just been tasked with hauling a shedload of aid from Capital to Port Knot City. How much farther before I can get/print new vehicles? I've only found the one trike at the distribution center, that I powered after getting back from the wind farm. I immediately lost it Skyrimming my way across the ridge to shortcut back to the incinerator area. :(

(I drat well made it, though. Sam must have calves of adamantine, him stopping a downhill rush looks insanely painful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Assuming I don't actually need the chiral crystals, is it worth my time to take out BTs to keep the route clear, or do they just respawn anyways?

(thinking in particular of the godawful walk to the wind farm in the eastern region, here)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

drat. well, at least bloodbombs get rid of em quick enough so far, and they're not terribly hard to get hold of. Even if the BTs just come back, that's a drat sight easier than laboriously sneaking around (and inevitably loving up right at the end and losing unsecured cargo as I struggle out :argh:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I had a couple roads built in the second region before I even knew what auto-pavers were, or that those roads were player-built :v:

Which reminds me, can you get roads built at all in the first region?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

At least now I know when to start hitting the skip button harder

(he says, still in chapter 3 because must build roads)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not gonna lie, "Norman Reedus And His Amazing Fetus" makes me giggle

Raithe posted:

I think I've managed to kick that bad habit finally.

I do kinda miss using ladders and rope anchors, yeah :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 6, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so y'know the road to the windfarm and all those squared-off rocks literally everywhere? am I supposed tot be able to get past all that crap with the trike or am I overdoing it on the Skyrimming, here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barf, that does rather put it in perspective.

Musing as I write this, I realize that up to now I've depended on my connecting up another knot bringing in lots of online guidance and traversal tools for return journeys like you describe. I wonder now if I want to start over offliine, since it's making the game feel sort of a gimme? but - literally liveposting thoughts - that idea does go rather against the entire point the game is proposing, huh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i feel like turing just shifted in his grave a little

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Will MULEs die from a long fall if they're already unconscious?

It was quite a fun little cliffside fight scene but I'm a little worried :ohdear:

(e) While I'm asking questions, are climbing rope end's positions saved and restored when I load the game/see someone else's? So many have been coiled up uselessly at the top of cliffs :ughh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pretty annoying, definitely reduces my motivation to put em down for future use since there's half a chance I won't be able to climb back up. When I do climb em or put em down I've even specifically thrown the rope down to make sure it's accessible.

night slime posted:

They might not be programmed to die from heights, they don't really appear near any I don't think. It's tangential but I tried to push a mule truck into the tar with my truck and when I got within a certain distance of the tar, it seemed like the AI in the car suddenly pivoted and said "gently caress this I'm outta here" after like 3 minutes of not reacting to me ragdolling them. Outside a truck they also basically start to ignore you if you get near the tar.

I sure hope not. I was having a massive melee furball in the camp between S. Lake Knot distro center and the Junk Dealer, and they came over such a wide area that the fight ended up moving to one of those canyons. One of them fell in after I socked em one, and I think it was one of the two with stars in my pic, but I'm just not suuuure :ohdear:

speaking of which area, what the hell was up with the otter thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair enough then, I hope they had a nice nap :)

Finally found the Collector, too, so I finally donít have that weird jut of un networked area :woop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Episode 4 is a load of complete horseshit and it's completely killing any interest I once had in the game

(e) once again the power of complaining on the internet prevails, but jfc that sucked

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ladders have always seemed too damned short to be useful 99% of the time

I still bring one on every trip though because when I don't it guarantees that one in a hundred gap-I-can't-jump :argh:

(e) Just got to ep5, and seems I unlocked zip lines. Are there any more major toys or mechanics coming that'd compel me to continue on the story, or is it road-building time :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i can't ride a trike on a zipline :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you right

Is it actually possible to roll over (or on the trike, backwards) in vehicles or am I worrying about nothing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm doing the roads first not because of any good reason, but because I gotta imagine those zips are doing horrible things to poor Sam's right arm :ohdear:

Question, is there any better way to farm chiral crystals than to go get caught by a BT and reversal-of-fortune the boss?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 24, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah the problem went away once I realized how huge all the preppers' stockpiles had gotten :v: loving ceramics though.

I think I finished the road; Lake & South Knot are connected end to end, and I assume there's no other highways (right?), so I started on the ziplines

man that ride is gonna kick rear end once i get a tower on the other side

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Thereís a fork in the road by the Craftsman.

Son of a bitch I forgot about that. :doh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sono posted:

And the materials for some of the later parts of that one are huge.

JFC you ain't joking. I just finished the second walk back to Mountain Knot, starting at South Knot, at the end of ep5; on the way I passed by the last paver next to Mountain Knot and literally said "loving excuse me?" out loud :v:

That was a real strange couple of non sequiturs at the end there, plotwise; I suspect I've seen nothing yet, but still. Start of ep6 rip Mama, but at least they sort-of explained why she died when I arrived. But where the gently caress did "Lou" come from :psyduck:

and speaking of Lou, I already do not like the gimmick they've started the episode out with :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do any buildings get more than one customization slot with upgrades? I've been on a bit of a building spree. I want to use some holograms but I'm required by law to play Anything You Need for everyone :shobon:, so the slots have all been used

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 29, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

night slime posted:

Be sure to shout a lot

I've just been avoiding 'fall like a coward, like gently caress i'm dealing with what I can't see

Between AT leggings and zip lines the game has gotten way easier. Not that I'm complaining, not a game really based on difficulty per se

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I still wish those weren't in honestly, they kinda gently caress with the pacing. Or largely eliminate the core mechanics, depending on how harsh you want to be.

yeah I was thinking if I ever play through this again I would go Conduct mode and either refuse to use them or limit them heavily

Holy crap though, I just finished episode six, and getting to/from the mountaineer and spiritualist would be loving monstrous without them, so, who knows if it's a good thing or not,

(e) Playing a conduct like that would certainly get me using Floating Carriers more, those things are amazing cheat devices long as you don't need rope or a steep ladder

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 30, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh ffs not another combat heavy episode :mad: break time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

night slime posted:

Yeah the game comes apart pretty fast once you master the mechanics sadly.

It was definitely more compelling before I realized Sam is, in fact, a ballerina once you know all the tells and tricks

Hasn't ruined the game; lessened it maybe, and certainly changed its character though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

You still sneaking around btís?

Just bolo them and walk right past them. Just donít walk directly into one.

If they're really getting up my tits I prefer to stash my crap, get caught, and murder the boss tbh. Ground isn't clear long but usually long enough, and anyways i need more crystals :shepface:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i just saw where heartman is on the map and i'm completely loving dead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

even the base level one Bridges truck has an absolutely absurd mass & volume limit compared to the MULE trukks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Augus posted:

this except getting stuck in the cosplay expert's doorway instead

so m any ceramics, lost forever... :arghfist::(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I never even thought of doing this and I feel like a god drat idiot for manually walking and/or surfboarding to every single package I've wanted to scoop up from the snow. Oh my god I'm so impossibly stupid.

edit: I cannot believe how dumb I feel right now. You unlock the order to go get the Sticky Gun schematic right as you're coming back from Mountain Knot for the first time, too. That has to be what the item is MADE for. You go over the pass to the Roboticist on the way out after your first visit and see all the cargo that's a pain in the rear end to go scoop up and say "I wish there was a better way!" and voila you are provided one.

I loved (and used) the sticky gun so much I unironically went looking for more PC games that had something like that. Sadly Sony has a stranglehold on the various spidersman, and I've already played JC2 and some of 3 :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I stopped playing a few weeks ago just before heading out for Heartman's lab, after finishing All The Roads

I wonder how many have crumbled away. I don't feel too compelled to open the game though, having been partly warned about the late-to-endgame I can kind of imagine what's coming and, well, :geno:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zipline Lord?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress it was right in front of me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I understand the argument, but vehemently disagree with it, that this game is "just" a delivery simulator. Even with setting the plot and combat aside, the delivery aspect is so much more. You don't just walk from A to B, you also think and feel your way from A to B. One of the bravest things this game did, I think, was to make it both dull and engaging to trek across the game world. And I say this as someone who would happily remove all the BT and Mule encounters from the game if I could and it wouldn't lessen the impact at all.

To me, Death Stranding differs from other open world games in that in any other game, despite how beautiful the world may be like in, say, Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll still sprint or ride my way through it to get to the good part. The world is cool and all, but it's just backdrop. In Death Stranding, the world is as much an element as anything else is. Overall, DS might be blander than other open world games, but that's only because it elevates the backdrop to be a much more significant part of the greater whole and it has none of the "let's just get to the next place as soon as possible" stuff.

Reading this makes me wonder if you'd like SnowRunner as much as I've ended up doing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the traversal-focused gameplay, world-repair and those sort of things in this game are such a rich seam of dopamine-generators that i wish other games would start mining

SnowRunner gets kiiiinda close, at least

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've started a new file, on very hard this time

it's been too long, i can't remember how long i want to bee-line story for unlocks before i proceed to officially Faffing Aboutģ

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(faffing about was inevitable anyway, i only just got to lake knot distro)

I'm enjoying Very Hard on the whole - all the little stressors like balance, stamina/endurance, even my dang shoes have enough meaning now to make a difference. MULE combat is way more fun (if sometimes frustrating), too - though I partly attribute that to leaning heavily into the art of Throwing poo poo, which is funny every single loving time

The inflated boss health can gently caress right off though, they were already kinda lame bullet sponges and if I left them on VH it'd be 10x worse :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Shame Boy posted:

IIRC you wanna go up until you unlock the trucks at the very least since that makes moving things around faster. Maybe even wait a bit longer to get the ziplines unlocked at Mamas place too.

i've been thinking about whether or not i want to restrict myself a little on the ziplines this time

probably gonna use em in the mountains anyway because gently caress That, but maybe the world doesn't need a zipline highway this time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

guns are for wimps anyway

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4

i love this stupid drat game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i need to try hitting one in melee with a smoke decoy in hand