Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I'm on Chapter 3 at the moment and I just skimmed through some guy's speedrun of it out of curiosity. Realized I have not been nearly ballsy enough with this game and I also learned I could double-jump? He made crossing streams look so easy with it (not to be confused with crossing the streams, which would be bad). I just got to the weather station and I wish I had taken my trike with me because I apparently gave up super easily on it when I saw the rough terrain surrounding the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not the water itself that made me leave the trike behind, it was the shoreline I was on that had what seemed at the time to be impassable rock. There was a narrow path through the rock that I missed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can you drive to every facility in the game, assuming you find the route? It just might be the long way around?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DalaranJ posted:

The game engine procedurally flattens paths that are more popular.

In any case, do everyone a favor and never drive a truck to the cosplayer.

Wow, actually flattens? I thought it'd just convert grass into dirt and maybe downsize or remove some rocks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are there any suggestions as to how I can enjoy BT sections/areas more? I avoid or delay doing anything to do with BTs as much as I can because each one is such a slog. I was gaining confidence in my ability to read the odradek and treat the areas like invisible obstacle courses I could run through but now it seems like there's BTs that move around? So it's killed the tempo again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rabidsquid posted:

its actually pretty easy to just deliberately get caught and then clear the area, although i feel like that also took a lot of tension out of the game. just make sure you have a lethal assault rifle or two and some grenades in your truck and stop outside the BT area, then go in and wait for the catcher and get caught and clear it.

Clear it permanently?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you are given the nuke to deliver to South Knot are you able to go directly to the tar lake and throw it in without stopping at the distro centre to meet Fragile?

Also, the game turns into a WW1 shooter out of nowhere? Oh, Kojima.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

"Give me back my BB" will be seared into your head before it's all said and done

It's still worth it

Speaking of BB, is it a speed freak / adrenaline junkie? I get likes most reliably and frequently when I'm going top speed on a trike or doing double jumps or on a zip line.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, that first hike up the mountain sure is something. Pretty disappointed I couldn't hook the Mountain Knot facility up to the network so I could start setting up some ziplines back down but on the way I picked up some lost cargo for the Robotocist. Hooked her up and then built some zip lines to the Weather Station at least. Now to connect the doctor hopefully. Not sure if I want to connect them first and circumvent Mountain Knot or go get a certain someone and bring them. I assume that's going to trigger a chapter end story event.

Also, I feel like it was a missed opportunity that I didn't bring any floating carriers with me. Probably could have done some slick hoverboarding down a few slopes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love watching these serious cutscenes with Norman Reedus in a baseball cap and lime green sunglasses.

Also, kudos to me, I used the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse for figuring out if two ziplines were close enough to each other to connect. Haven't touched that equation in many years!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah and with your rangefinder you know what you're committing to with each piece of equipment you put down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

At first I was a bit annoyed that the map doesn't show you the distance from Sam to whatever object you are hovering over, especially while building zip lines... And then I realized I could just use the rangefinder on the binoculars and look at the spot for the next one with my own eyes to see how far away it was and I was like :aaa:

That is what the map shows. My issue was that you can't plot the distance between two points that aren't Sam.

skooma512 posted:

Wandering the trenches of the Western Front in a baseball cap, sunglasses at night, glowing future poo poo all over me, a tower of boxes on my back, a baby in a jar, all while chugging Monster Energy Drink.

GOTY 2019

Love that one of the upgrades you get from the Doctor - a doctor - is the Monster Energy Drink canteen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it were some made up drink it wouldn't be as weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When my backpack cover is nearly destroyed, what am I supposed to do to repair it? It says in the private room that any attachments to the cover will be lost if I switch out for a new one and I thought I had removed the attachments but nope, all gone. So what is process here?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know the game likes to have its chapters named after characters but this one really should have been called I want My BB Back, BB Back, BB Back, BB Back, Higgs.

Edit: how many of these WW1 battlefields are there? Seriously turning me off the game.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 3, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Midjack posted:

There are three Nightmares of War.

Cool, thank you. Figured as much anyway after the second one (which is WW2 yes, of course!) and the name of one of the later chapters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tormented posted:

Good deal on Death Standing for PC.

https://www.gamebillet.com/death-stranding-pre-order-steam

Is this game good? I sure hope so but I heard really mixed reviews.

The reviews I saw/heard back around release ended up sounding super whiny about the early game and kind of ignorant once I played it myself. I mostly and really enjoyed the actual gameplay but there were parts of the entire experience I wasn't fond of. I'm no Kojima devotee so I knew going in that it was going to grate on me at points. I'm trying to be super vague here but no matter what I am glad I played it, though it is a tough game to recommend to someone else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm glad I did. Evo Devo wasn't covered by a zip line because I stupidly brought PCC 1s with me but I had a pretty comprehensive network covering what was west, south, and east of Edgar Wright. And the roads went from Mama to Lake Knot. Made a lot of story missions easy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timefall resistance uses chiralium as a resource, right? All the best resistance stuff is gold because of it. So I'm guessing the answer would be that it's not plentiful or easy enough to make everything out of it. For clothes the only people really are Sam and Higgs because nobody else is really spending any time out in timefall. Could assume that the clothes are replaced but we just don't see it, assuming the stars on his thigh are reproduced.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

untzthatshit posted:

The Chiral Artist gives you Chiral Boots as reward for some deliveries and the description mentions something about chiralium poisoning if they're worn for too long. It also mentions that some people are naturally resistant to chiralium poisoning (I'm guessing that's people with DOOMS).

Speaking of, do those boots have any actual in-game negative affect? Or is it just, "normal people couldn't wear these but Sam can handle it"?

Oh yeah, you're right. Forgot about the poisoning.

No, those boots don't have any effect that I noticed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nah, they wanted her to have big perky boobs and a tight butt in her leather catsuit and that wouldn't have made sense if she was completely nude for the timefall bath

i actually liked higgs as a creepy villain and hated how they [ending spoilers] bait and switch with him to keep the story running. battling him was way more satisfying than shooting rockets at a loving space whale for 5 minutes, even if the 1v1 aspect of his fight dragged on way too long

Once that last fight was over I thought about the whole game and I was like "did I just play a weird take on Link's Awakening?"

-the big ol' whale
-beach/beaches
-imaginary people
-player's quest bringing about the end of the world

Also, the remake came out last year.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 12, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

The barriers surrounding knot cities are actually air pressure walls.

The game tells you this if you try to get past one.

Like when you accidentally try to motorcycle through one at top speed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On second thought, if the name hadn't been taken I suppose Sam could also have been named Link!

And if I'm gonna really reach for similarities both have clear references to Mario games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean you can sort of have that if you just speedrun the story mode and then do everything else afterwards.

I might be in the minority on this one but I wish there was more time and gadgetry spent on your time on foot, mt climbing and hiking. Like I would not be at all sad if the entire first half of the game was more "local" and had no vehicles involved and THEN expanded into highways/vehicles/ziplines.

Yeah I think it could have introduced the exoskeletons and hover carriers first.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blind Rasputin posted:

How would you even get that done? Just walk around putting signs up at every distro center exit?

You would need to complete deliveries to be able to leave the starting region so it certainly couldn't be even most distro centres or facilities.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zub0rtymn8

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That whole rift area near the Collector and in the MULE camp is very inviting for trike jumps but very poor for actually making them. So many little bumps and rocks and uneven terrain that ruin your angle and speed. Went around or used bridges after falling in on two separate occasions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stoatbringer posted:

I did that with the BT that Higgs throws at you when you transport Mama. When it appeared she said "Run, Sam!" so I took that as a big Game Hint and just kept running and climbing up the hill, and it eventually disappeared. It just seems so odd that the game provides such a huge variety of weapons, most of which are pretty much useless in a fight.

I didn't take the hint so I stuck around to fight it. Interesting thing about that fight is that you can go back inside the facility. Not only does it provide protection from the BT but you can use the terminal during the fight so I crafted myself enough grenades and weapons to take it down. I think I had to recycle some stuff down into crystals to have enough for all the crafting. But of course by killing it I ended up with way more crystals when all was said and done.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I never built it so how does that road work in practice that goes through terrorist territory to get to Distribution Center North of Mountain Knot City? Never had a problem driving vehicles on roads through MULE camps but the terrorists are more hardcore and because of the trees it doesn't seem like there's much room for the road to rise above the ground for some protection.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Absolutely! I can't imagine trying to get a truck from South Knot to Mountain Knot without the road and having it survive the journey, and those big timed trips were the only way I got enough points to level up my Time stat.

You're talking about the camp right next to the Waypoint North of Mountain Knot City, right, in the trees, not the one down in the marsh? Like Jolo said, the one in the marsh just has the road go up in the air so you're safe from that camp until you're past their territory.

The camp in the pine trees is different and it took me a bit to find the autopavers that build past it. The road goes up past the incinerator and then cuts west in the area north of the terrorist camp/pass. There's a path you can drive a truck up to the north of the incinerator that leads to the autopaver that makes the turn, and then it makes a bridge over some rough terrain on the side of the mountains north of the camp and slopes down into the marsh well past the edge of the terrorist area.

I thought that was some slick environmental design. When I first made my way to that area I saw the pass and drove right into a hail of gunfire. Somehow I made it in a non-defensive truck through those woods (I tried to drive through the trees and have no idea how I didn't get stuck) and then avoided that area as much as possible unless I was hunting terrorists. But there's nothing except rougher terrain stopping you from just going around the terrorists, so if you wanted to you could completely avoid that entire pass.

I meant the northern stretch of road, yeah. Wouldn't have guessed that would be the route. Looks like it only goes through a sliver of the terrorist camp. Ending up finding an image of it, though weirdly a complete road map is not the easiest thing to find.

The one through the marsh I didn't need or want. I really didn't bother with roads in the mountain region other than the sections immediately outside the distro centres, which were convenient and an easy source of lots of Likes. For getting around I used zip lines. But I also didn't care about five-starring everybody or going for the platinum.

Also, I just learned that when the game first came out you couldn't dismantle vehicles and the only reason it was added was because players were griefing others by leaving vehicles as blockages in front of entrances and narrow paths, lol

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 23, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are people playing it but as often happens sometimes the discussion stays in the PS4 chat thread instead of the dedicated thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

v1ld posted:

Came here to ask if it's better to play this when the online is very active and it sounds like yes is the answer.

There's a minimum level of activity you want but I think there's a point at which it doesn't matter how many more people are playing. Your game isn't connected to everybody, just a slice of the player base, and not everything is 100% shared.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

edgar_ posted:

I keep thinking about this question as I play through this game for the first time. I read this piece a few days ago and can’t stop thinking about it. Nothing to add besides quotes that struck me

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/death-stranding/death-stranding-and-america/

We should expect some more familiar landscapes than we got but I was assuming that between the void outs and the timefall that there's not much left that would be recognizable beyond major geographic features.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pierson posted:

So is there ever a reason NOT to be rocking a skeleton once you unlock them? In exchange for losing two S slots on your suit you gain a huge speed boost or an extra 100-200kg of carrying weight.

Never was without a skeleton unless forced to be once I earned my first one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jolo posted:

I think it's pretty difficult to showcase the satisfying thinking that is going on in the player's head while navigating a snowy mountain with a bunch of crap on their back. On the flipside, watching someone navigate the Tanker in MGS2 is immediately engaging and you can more clearly see the decisions being made and how they play out.

This is a good point. Every footstep can be important sometimes but to watch a good player without knowing the mechanics of the game it will just look like them going from point A to B like in any other game. And to watch a bad player could make the game look like unfun bullshit (I suppose it could make Sam look drunk which might be fun, though).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Frog Act posted:

So do I have to take materials from hubs to build things with my PCC? I just unlocked the bridge and it requires 800 metal, do I need to carry that metal with me or will the bridge be built as long as I’m in the network of an area with those resources?

Materials need to be brought to any structure you want to build.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Frog Act posted:

Hm, so things like bridges are probably going to be a bit out of my building wheelhouse for now since all I have is a backpack and my legs? Guess I need to figure out how to get a battery for this bike

If you build a generator next to the bike it will be charged. You can then leave the generator there for the future or dismantle it but you don't get materials back for dismantling.

800 Metal isn't too heavy but as you level up you get more carrying capacity to make it easier. Also, the way in which the materials are broken down into different container sizes matters. The same amount of materials (or very similar amounts) can be done as a combination of S, M, L, and XL containers which can be carried on different parts of Sam's body to better manage weight distribution.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pirate Jet posted:

Any tips on dealing with MULEs? I never know what to do other than pack a fully-loaded bola gun which I almost always wind up using all of, and I can never get the timing on the counter-scan jam... thingy right.

The timing on that is tough, it's not just you. There's a Film Director who can provide something that helps you out for avoiding encounters entirely.

For combat it's good to know how to take them down without guns or other weapons. As the MULEs get better tech that will get trickier but early on you can melee a lot of them without too much interruption. If there are any destroyed or low-value packages you have or see lying around, swinging those will take MULEs down fast. And you can make use of the slow-mo when you KO them to grab another package out of mid-air and keep fighting. The parry timing when using the strand is also pretty generous so that's always an option. And don't forget about your shoulder charge, which breaks an enemy's guard.

Camps often have other Bola guns around somewhere so you can use those to save ammo on your main gun or if you run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macaluso posted:

It's hard to really describe why it never felt boring to me. You literally are just walking from point A to point B, across big open fields and mountains, keeping your balance (which isn't super hard to do really) and occasionally running into BTs or Mules. But most of the game is just straight up walking long distances or trudging through snow. But it never feels boring outside of, for me, the Mules/terrorist encounters.

I think a better term is hiking. Like is it fun to walk the same sidewalks of your neighbourhood everyday? This isn't that. It's hiking and climbing and exploring in beautiful, rugged, unfamiliar terrain. Much easier to understand the appeal of hiking.