Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
https://wikimediafoundation.org/2019/05/29/lets-talk-about-the-north-face-defacing-wikipedia/

I'm a bit unfazed that some NYC marketing fart sniffers thought it was a clever idea, but they proceeded to release the most insanely irritating video bragging about it:

https://adage.com/creativity/work/north-face-top-imagens/2174261

Who greenlit this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

revmoo posted:

Who greenlit this?

Probably the sort of person that uses “creative” as a noun.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

revmoo posted:

Who greenlit this?

Carecat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
loving DOUCHEBAGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
not WIKIPEDIA !!!! Is nothing sacred ??????

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

revmoo posted:

Who greenlit this?

I have no evidence to back this up but I'm willing to bet it was a marketing agency.
I'm 99% certain they're behind this!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The internet.......is bad???????

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Better post about this on the SomethingAwful® forums, the most troll free forums on the net™ :smug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

For anyone too lazy to click this, here are the good parts:

quote:

Yesterday, we were disappointed to learn that The North Face, an outdoor recreation product company, and Leo Burnett Tailor Made, an ad agency retained by The North Face, unethically manipulated Wikipedia. They have risked your trust in our mission for a short-lived marketing stunt.

In a video about the campaign, Leo Burnett and The North Face boasted that they “did what no one has done before … we switched the Wikipedia photos for ours” and “[paid] absolutely nothing just by collaborating with Wikipedia.”

The video was later published by AdAge, which said that the agency’s “biggest obstacle” was in manipulating the site “without attracting attention [from] Wikipedia moderators.”

Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation did not collaborate on this stunt, as The North Face falsely claims. In fact, what they did was akin to defacing public property, which is a surprising direction from The North Face. Their stated mission, “unchanged since 1966,” is to “support the preservation of the outdoors”—a public good held in trust for all of us.

So apparently this Leo Burnett Tailor Made is full of douchebags.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Waluigi also receives negative reception. GameDaily listed him as one of the characters they wanted to kill, but couldn't, describing him, "One of the most unimportant characters in video game history".[20] Kotaku editor Mike Fahey commented that Waluigi was his personal most annoying video game character.[21] GamesRadar described Waluigi as a "lame-o villain" in an otherwise great game, referencing Mario Tennis.[22] Editor Henry Gilbert titled his section "Waluigi: The worst character ever", suggesting that the creation process involved the developers of Mario Tennis having no one to fill the final character slot, and conceiving him as an "evil Luigi". He describes such an act as "plunging to the bottom of the intellectual barrel". He also calls Waluigi "disgustingly tall and thin" as opposed to Wario, who he calls a "fatass". He later states that the staff of GamesRadar feels that Waluigi is seen as "less than legitimate" by Nintendo, who he feels may not find him good enough to appear in a main Mario or Wario title.[19] IGN editor Lucas M. Thomas discussed him as a possible, yet unlikely, candidate for a "second banana" character to be playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, commenting that Waluigi, amongst other sidekick characters, are not well-liked.[23] IGN staff, while praising Bowser as one of the most memorable video game villains, criticized both Waluigi and Wario as being "evil twin knockoffs".[24] In 2013, Complex included him among the ten video game characters who look like sex offenders.[25]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EorayMel posted:

Waluigi also receives negative reception. GameDaily listed him as one of the characters they wanted to kill, but couldn't, describing him, "One of the most unimportant characters in video game history".[20] Kotaku editor Mike Fahey commented that Waluigi was his personal most annoying video game character.[21] GamesRadar described Waluigi as a "lame-o villain" in an otherwise great game, referencing Mario Tennis.[22] Editor Henry Gilbert titled his section "Waluigi: The worst character ever", suggesting that the creation process involved the developers of Mario Tennis having no one to fill the final character slot, and conceiving him as an "evil Luigi". He describes such an act as "plunging to the bottom of the intellectual barrel". He also calls Waluigi "disgustingly tall and thin" as opposed to Wario, who he calls a "fatass". He later states that the staff of GamesRadar feels that Waluigi is seen as "less than legitimate" by Nintendo, who he feels may not find him good enough to appear in a main Mario or Wario title.[19] IGN editor Lucas M. Thomas discussed him as a possible, yet unlikely, candidate for a "second banana" character to be playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, commenting that Waluigi, amongst other sidekick characters, are not well-liked.[23] IGN staff, while praising Bowser as one of the most memorable video game villains, criticized both Waluigi and Wario as being "evil twin knockoffs".[24] In 2013, Complex included him among the ten video game characters who look like sex offenders.[25]

ok

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If they really wanted to advertise they would've edited North Face jackets into the Naruto entry pictures.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

EorayMel posted:

Waluigi is seriously the best character in the entire Mario franchise. That dude fucks.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Credible posted:

Waluigi is seriously the best character in the entire Mario franchise. That dude fucks.

Actually, Waluigi calls it "slinging dick"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Waluigi owns precisely because he is a pointless idiot character that has no reason to exist, even his name makes zero sense whatsoever.

Dude rules.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Waluigi owns precisely because he is a pointless idiot character that has no reason to exist, even his name makes zero sense whatsoever.

Dude rules.

His name is warui+gi - literally "bad gi". It makes perfect sense.
Also, very true, he's fantastic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yup he's the loving second banana to the secondary antagonist, yet dude loving slings it.

Also if there's one non-profit I think could weather some advertisers trying to expedite the Tragedy of the Commons, it's Wikipedia. All you've got to do is get students everywhere to spend like, 10 minutes a day checking and curating recent changes as part of their participation grade and you're golden.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shadow0 posted:

His name is warui+gi - literally "bad gi". It makes perfect sense.
Also, very true, he's fantastic.

Yeah but Wario is just an upside down M that poo poo works on a fundamental level but they had to add Wa to Luigi it's really awkward and low effort but very good.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Waluigi has a lot of names for his penis, among them: one-eyed hole dozer, meat slinky, the skeezer pleaser

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I'ma gonna win!

WaAAAAaAaAAaAAaAaAAAa!!!!!!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Bitch Splitter

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

The Bitch Splitter
fantasize about cartoon sex more maturely than this please

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I've had to work with a lot of advertising people. They've paid for a fair few of my lunches. Consider:

Andrea Scaglione

Andrew Ladden

Bill Davaris

These people were paid employees of the ad agency Oglivy back in 2002. That year their client was Coca-Cola, who was looking for a new tag line for the soft drink Fanta- and what was that tag line? How did they earn that six-figure salary? That's right: "Wanta Fanta!"

We know at it was these three because Scaglione was so proud of it she edited the Fanta wikipedia page.

The is no form of labor in the modern world with a greater discrepancy between talent required and remuneration. Atleast daytraders need to have a little guile- they can't just be Ivy League degrees pinned to some ambulatory meat.

Does Dilkington have a vendetta against ad people- maybe even specifically against these three people? Has he met all three or maybe just one at a party in DC and found them incredibly loathsome? No- just spilled Fanta on myself while driving is all.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Dude rules.

:hmmyes:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
we make fun of wikipedia, rightfully, for its preoccupation with idiotic things, and tendency to attract and be directed primarily by insecure, obsessive nerds who delight in paying adenoidal attention and arguing at length in appeal to its arbitrary, persnickety guidelines and dumb nerdy hierarchy of editors, but their preoccupation with citations and verifying sources has, in spite of everything, resulted in it being one of the strongest readily available information resources on the internet ever to be convicted of raping a flamingo to death in 1997 go seahawks

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
The problem with capitalism is, eventually you run out of Wikimedia Commons.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

not WIKIPEDIA !!!! Is nothing sacred ??????

except not ironically

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

An imaginary ugly guy’s imaginary sex life is 500000000% more interesting than some smarmy douchebags editing Wikipedia I’m so sorry op.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Wikipedia is overconcerned with anime and sonic.

Wikipedia's vandalization by a for-profit company that thinks they're cool for making GBS threads on a public good is disgusting and should be universally reviled. gently caress North Face.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dilkington posted:

I've had to work with a lot of advertising people. They've paid for a fair few of my lunches. Consider:

Andrea Scaglione

Andrew Ladden

Bill Davaris

These people were paid employees of the ad agency Oglivy back in 2002. That year their client was Coca-Cola, who was looking for a new tag line for the soft drink Fanta- and what was that tag line? How did they earn that six-figure salary? That's right: "Wanta Fanta!"

We know at it was these three because Scaglione was so proud of it she edited the Fanta wikipedia page.

The is no form of labor in the modern world with a greater discrepancy between talent required and remuneration. Atleast daytraders need to have a little guile- they can't just be Ivy League degrees pinned to some ambulatory meat.

Does Dilkington have a vendetta against ad people- maybe even specifically against these three people? Has he met all three or maybe just one at a party in DC and found them incredibly loathsome? No- just spilled Fanta on myself while driving is all.

“Wanta Fanta” was real good though

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

EorayMel posted:

Most of this would be true if it was about the baby versions of Mario characters. They truly have no real reason to exist.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Dilkington posted:

Those guys were worth every cent because now the first thing you think about Fanta is not "the soft drink that collaborated with the Nazis"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

North Face finally achieving the same level of advertising as every small town and high school with a Wikipedia page.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Dilkington posted:

but all these years later I still remember "wanta fanta." how many figures do YOU earn?

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Dilkington posted:

Andrea Scaglione

Andrew Ladden

Bill Davaris

Is this original research? Please cite your sources.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Sprue posted:

Is this original research? Please cite your sources.

He's Andrew Ladden.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
their whole job is manipulating people, how could they be anything but a bunch of bastards

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Dilkington posted:

"Wanta Fanta!"

Wait, how do I pronounce that? "Want-a Fawn-ta"?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats the difference between an advertiser and a con man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
I'm going to continue checking out books for free at the library to counteract these greedy atrocities.