Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

This thread will have some fairly extensive (in my opinion) rust repair followed by a turbo v8 installed into a 2300lb car as I catch it up to current events. the major surgery on the car started around February 2019 with the goal of making it to Cruise Week in Ocean City Maryland on may 16th which *spoiler alert* I did.

I bought a 1977 Datsun 280z in around 2014, I never really had any plans for it, I just knew I loved how they looked. It had some semi-serious rust and the clutch and brakes didn't work. I fixed those problems with a couple master cylinders and a slave cylinder and never really did anything else with it besides fart around my own driveway. My dad took it upon himself to work on it around January 2018 and he fixed all the rust and gave it a nice paint job. He decided he wanted the car and asked me what I wanted in order to give it to him and I told him I would be fine with a replacement that was in the same condition mine was before he worked on it. After a couple months he found it: a 1977 Datsun 280z in an auction from Buffalo, New York. In my opinion this one was a little rougher but I didn't mind. They were the exact same car except for color and mine was a factory 5-speed (and it didn't have a god-awful aftermarket sunroof). After fixing a few leaking fuel lines I realized the clutch on this one was TOASTED. I'm lucky because I have a key to the shop I work at so I can work there on my own stuff after hours as much as I please. I had my friend tow the car there and slapped a clutch in it after work one night.

The night I got it (probably around November?)

Then I towed it to work, put the clutch in, removed the big ugly bumpers, added a spoiler and front fascia. It actually passed inspection relatively easy which I was surprised about.

I drove it around like this for a couple months and then in January I ripped the engine and transmission out

the rust was pretty bad, so I towed it home in order to not tie up a lift at work. My dad and I started the rust repair around February 2019. Here's an image dump of that mess.

Right as I started the rust repair I decided I didn't want to put the anemic 2.8 liter back in the car after doing all this work, and that's when I decided it would be a cool challenge to try and slam an LS in it and make it to Cruise Week.

I had pulled a 5.3 out of the "bone collector" 2001 silverado. I think it had around 120k miles. all I did to it was some spare comp valve springs and a TR224 cam from an engine my coworker had previously blown up.

and for a transmission we have a Viper T56, with an Fbody bellhousing and input shaft.

After the rust was fixed up I got it hauled back to work so that I could work on it after work every night. pretty much the first thing I did was drop the engine in.

Here's the first bit of fabrication on the build, the transmission crossmember

All of my friends and coworkers had said there was no way I would actually make it down to cruiseweek even if I left it N/A let alone boosted, so I spent about 6 hours after work every night chipping away at it because I wanted to prove I could do it, the next step I did was start the hotside piping for the turbo. I used the factory truck manifolds, flipped them 180 degrees and welded a v-band onto each of them.

this is probably my favorite picture so far because this was my first turbo hotside and I was very proud of it

I must have blitzed through my fuel system install because I can't find very many pictures of it. I just cut out the spare tire well and made a cage out of angle steel to hold my fuel cell. It has a summit racing 380lph pump that actually fits very well into the stock fuel pump mount. This is the only picture I have, i was just super happy I managed to make it work with the stock fuel filler.

Right while I was doing this swap, Holley EFI released their Terminator X engine management so I scooped one of those up real quick

here is the actual first start (no bullshit) that irritating high pitched noise was all of the ports on the intake manifold sucking air

at this point the car was running so I started to put the body panels back on it and run the full exhaust (these pictures were taken with less than a week to go until cruiseweek)

I love this steering wheel and horn button

this is the shifter bezel and fire extinguisher I installed last minute

here it was at work with my coworkers turbo LS swapped 1983 S10

Here it was about an hour before starting the road trip down to Ocean City, with a cameo of my dad's datsun. (I had to borrow his wheels and tires because my tires were from the 90s and hosed).
The car is currently only on wastegate pressure which is 7psi, and my rear end tells me it's making low 400 wheel horsepower.

Here is a picture of the car at the Wawa on 120th street, along with my coworkers s10 and my other car, a supercharged 1996 mustang cobra (had my other friend drive this car down)

Here's a video of the car running and driving with a little WOT action

On saturday I took the car to an LS1Tech meet at the local walmart on rt50, and i was happy to come back to the car with a small crowd formed around my car. I wasn't used to getting this kind of attention because in the 8 years I've owned the cobra only maybe 5 people have asked me about it.

Last friday I took it out in the morning before going to pittsburgh to visit family for memorial day weekend and the RTV my dumbass had used to seal the oil feed plate to the oil pan got pushed out by oil pressure (just glad it didn't happen down at cruiseweek) this was fixed as of yesterday.

I have a bunch of stuff I still want to do to the car, but it's nice to not have an approaching deadline stressing me out.
- I want a real coolant reservoir to replace the powerade bottle.
- My door locks have some resistance in them and while I feel like they WANT to work, it just bends the key when I turn it.
- I want to put some modern headlights in it, i'm pretty sure the 7" lights from jeep wranglers and stuff would fit. not sure
- It needs gauges. going to save up for some speedhut ones. Currently just using a GPS app on my phone for speed and my laptop in the Holley software for everything else.
- I want to put new fenders on it these ones are lovely
- Holley offers a fuel pressure sensor that can tie into the Holley harness that I would like to use in case fuel pressure drops to avoid engine damage
- I need a radio and speakers. gotta have music
- I want to put carpet in it too, i think zcarsource has a relatively inexpensive kit.
- my alternator is chirping. I'm just going to pull one the next time I'm at the junkyard.
- I don't have any knock sensors. Want them for obvious reasons, going to grab at the junkyard.
- I would like to paint it eventually but I'm not sure how far down the line that is. I really like the dodge color "destroyer gray"

theres still some rust to fix too, like around the tail lights and the rear lower quarter panels behind the rear tire, but none of it was structural and I wanted to get the car driveable fast.
In the videos of the car it's super obvious the shocks are beat. I replaced them last week and it feels like a whole new car. I'm pretty sure the old shocks were the original ones from 1977.

I just ordered some wheels for it today. once I get my own wheels and tires on it, so I don't shred my dad's tires up, I can start turning up the boost.

I hope I didn't gently caress anything up making this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This looks like fun! What are you doing with the old drivetrain?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
This is some great sloppy mechanics type poo poo!

You've made some fast progress the last few months

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This looks like fun! What are you doing with the old drivetrain?

It's a lot of fun haha, my dad wants the 5 speed trans for his datsun and I'm not sure what I want to do with the 2.8. I took a bunch of videos of it running before I ripped it out in case I ever sell it.

Party Alarm posted:

This is some great sloppy mechanics type poo poo!

You've made some fast progress the last few months

Ive been watching his videos for the last few years he gives out a LOT of really good info!

thanks!

Edit:

Here's a small walk around video that shows it idling and stuff

JQADDINGMACHINE fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 30, 2019

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Couldn't get my amazon fuel rails to seal up good enough, I could push on them side to side and fuel would spray out between injector and rail. I ordered some Holley Sniper EFI rails and installed them today and the mounts have no flex and I couldn't get them to leak so that's one thing I don't have to worry about any more.

old:

new:

If the weather holds off I'm going to the junkyard on sunday to pull a spare engine for myself (maybe something special like a 6.0 or aluminum block 5.3 if I can find one), a replacement engine for my coworkers s10 so he can sell it and keep his gen IV 5.3, and maybe a replacement engine for my boss's lifted and supercharged 2011 silverado. I'm pretty sure he cracked a piston or something.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is that an L92 water pump? I have an LM7 with an LS1 intake like you have, and have read that it drops in and solves the throttle body clearance problem with truck accessories.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That rust was pretty high on the Sockington scale.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Raluek posted:

Is that an L92 water pump? I have an LM7 with an LS1 intake like you have, and have read that it drops in and solves the throttle body clearance problem with truck accessories.

It's an LS1 water pump I bought off of amazon with a set of ICT billet spacers to bring it out to truck accessory spacing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

You Am I posted:

That rust was pretty high on the Sockington scale.

Was Sockington the Milk Van/Truck guy? Sounds so familiar.

VVVV: Oh yeah. Jesus that was ages ago. I'm old.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 1, 2019

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrOnBicycle posted:

Was Sockington the Milk Van/Truck guy? Sounds so familiar.

Sockington is the guy that had a 240sx that was apparently pulled from the bottom of the ocean.

Mooecow is the milk truck guy.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Team swapped S30 easily acquires another member.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sockington is the guy that had a 240sx that was apparently pulled from the bottom of the ocean.

Mooecow is the milk truck guy.

is there any pictures of this 240sx I would like to see it

Waffle House posted:

Team swapped S30 easily acquires another member.

:wave:

edit:

I actually datalogged it today and it makes a very consistent yet low 3lbs of boost. I'm pretty sure it has a 7lb wastegate spring in it, but I could be wrong. I'm wondering if the exhaust is just pushing past the valve? I'm going to swap ports on the wastegate so the reference holds the gate shut and see if I can creep it past 3lbs of boost, I don't think I have any boost leaks or exhaust leaks pre-turbo. If it does I'll just slap a manual boost controller on it or put in the other spring that came with the wastegate and see what happens. I am impressed how fast it feels on 3lbs though.

JQADDINGMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 2, 2019

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Unplugged my wastegate and it made the full 7lbs, and boy is it fast. On the way home I lost 3rd and 4th gear. I pulled the transmission out today and my input shaft is loose so I assume thats the problem. I monkeyed around with the shims when I put that input shaft in so I think i just need to redo it but not like a dumbass.

and then for shits and giggles I put my mustang tires on it:

:keke:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
That rice can sticking out the back is an excellent troll.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jesus that was a fast rust -> turbo ls transition.

But I like it.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

honda whisperer posted:

Jesus that was a fast rust -> turbo ls transition.

But I like it.

It still has plenty of rust I just fixed the rockers, floors, and frame rails haha. Eventually I'm going to put new fenders on it because theyre trashed, the doors too. I'm toying around with the idea of painting it at some point but I really do like how it looks right now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You've clearly got the fab skills. I'd leave it mad max until the function is where you want it then make it look good too. But that's just like my opinion man.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
*sigh* god drat I need to get back to my Z
One of these years :sweatdrop:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
This is a really nice car/build

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Took the trans apart to figure out what happened and it looks like there were more problems than just a loose input shaft . 4th gear synchro and keys were not happy. Ordered replacement springs, billet keys, and a new 4th gear synchro from hawks motorsports. I'm hoping they'll be here before Friday so I can drive the car this weekend.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

got all four wheels and tires on it today, just waiting for trans parts. Once it's driving good again, I'll start turning up the boost and maybe blow it up so i have an excuse to look for an aluminum block.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Hello s30 friend! I need to get working on mine, so little progress so much time.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Hello s30 friend! I need to get working on mine, so little progress so much time.

I have trouble getting motivation to work on it so sometimes I just go out and look at it for a bit and then I might start doing one thing and it generally snowballs into me putting a few hours into it. Having the big goal of making it to cruiseweek helped too, my old datsun I had for 4 years and I never even really had it on the road.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

The slicks made quick work of the stock rear diff.

Either going to find an R200 to slap in it and keep driving or put in the time and effort to swap in an 8.8 IRS out of an explorer or cobra or something. I think that would be cool; Chevy engine, Dodge transmission, Ford differential.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Either going to find an R200 to slap in it and keep driving or put in the time and effort to swap in an 8.8 IRS out of an explorer or cobra or something. I think that would be cool; Chevy engine, Dodge transmission, Ford differential.

Can we pull Lucas electronics out of something?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

boxen posted:

Can we pull Lucas electronics out of something?

And/or a set of SU carburettors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Do that, then find some kind of Honda bits to slap in. May as well offend every major group of fanbois. :v:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
While the R200 is fine, the 8.8 has a way better aftermarket in the States.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Wrar posted:

While the R200 is fine, the 8.8 has a way better aftermarket in the States.

And I have a spare TrakLok out of my cobra :madmax:

Went and pulled this out of an 03 ford explorer on sunday:

And here's the carnage pics of the R180!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Got $5K?

https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p24/Track_Attack-_Complete_8.8_Rear_Suspension_Conversion.html

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

After I hit the powerball I'll buy a nicer S30 and start a nicer thread and do nicer things like that subframe.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

After I hit the powerball I'll buy a nicer S30 and start a nicer thread and do nicer things like that subframe.

Right?

I'm kind of sad we don't have a general S30 thread, we have at least 3 swap projects happening, including the electric one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

It's been a minute. the car sat for a while and I just finished up the rust repair and got some epoxy primer on it today. Still has a lot of body work to go but I've been chipping away at it. this is always the part I hate most. Going with Dark Shadow Gray off the 99-04 Mustangs and I have some black paint with gold flake I got from Eastwood that I'm going to use on all the trim and door handles and stuff like that.

I've done some other stuff too that I have yet to install:

-I got a kit made by someone I found on the Hybridz forums that will allow me to use 2015+ mustang diff, cv axles and brakes. excited to not have a welded R200 anymore.
-I fixed all the cracks and ugly parts of my dash and got a nice set of speedhut gauges for it. Going to try and get this put together after work tomorrow.
-all new carpet and I even sprung for some dynamat

Still need to find some seats for it. I'd like to have some leather sporty buckets, ideally the biggest seat I can fit in the car. I want to do something about my fuel cell situation too. its not very safe just sitting in a small bucket-like cage in a hole I cut into the floor where the spare tire used to be. Maybe a radio one day too but I'm not sure what I'd do about speakers. I think factory it only had the small one behind the passenger seat.