Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Kangxi posted:

Haven't decided what to do yet. Hierocratic may also be an interesting choice - let someone else be holy while she goes around stabbing things.

Clearly the answer here is to declare her lover Tse the most holy person in all of Bon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Either Harmonious or Enatic Clans are necessary, obviously. Beyond that I have no idea but presumably there will be quite a lot of punching going on in the religion founded by the ultimate punchqueen

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Harmonious would be cool and I think fit.

For those who don't know the mechanics of new reformation when we reform we get to pick traits from 3 fields. Nature, Doctrine, Leadership

Nature Defines how our religion will act

Doctrines are special traits and we get two choices here.

Leadership defines who runs the religion

each pagan religion has its own unique doctrine available that combines the benefits of two other doctrines so is more powerful. Bon has harmonious which combines equality and meritocracy meaning that we would be able to pick heirs and women and men would have equal status.

My overall thoughts:

I think unyielding would be our best choice for Nature it provides good combat bonuses as well as defensive ones without massive penalties. Warmongering would be the other choice that fits.

For doctrines: Harmonious and Daring, I feel these fit well with punch-queens personality. Our punch queen doesn't seem to have any hatred towards men, she simply loves women, and nobody would say she is not bold and daring. Daring also unlocks prepared invasions :hist101:

Leadership: Temporal or Heriocratic leadership would fit us. Note if we pick Temporal we get a free artifact and also don't have to listen to a popelike figure. We would also be able to choose our own GHWs which would be good for us. I thus favor Temporal

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh I do like Daring as the second one after Harmonious, both from a mechanics and flavor perspective. An egalitarian religion that encourages going out and doing great things. We're gonna put a Tibetan empress on the Dragon Throne someday and it's gonna own.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 7, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Daring kind of sucks, mostly because prepared invasions are basically useless at our size, but also because if we go for temporal we could just use great holy wars. it would be a fun flavor thing but sort of a waste of mechanicswise.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Unyielding/Harmonious/Bloodthirsty Gods/Temporal

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I like Harmonious and Heriocratic. I think the latter has the potential to blow up in our face in fun ways later on.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we edit in a custom icon for the reformed religion? :getin:

e: maybe a version of this:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don't we already control too much land to use any Prepared Invasions?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

megane posted:

Don't we already control too much land to use any Prepared Invasions?

Yeah, the only people who could use it would be our vassals.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

You say all these things assuming we’ll continue to amass territory over next 500 years or so

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Personally I would prefer a Hierocratic or Autonomous structure - it feels like that would fit better, and lays the ground for some interesting power struggles between nobles and the clergy since both can justly lay claim to monasteries under our government type.

Also gonna advocate for Animism or Ancestor Worship as our non-Harmonious tenet. I just think they're neat.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Warmongering/Matriarchal Clans/Bloodthirsty Gods

We militant feminism now. Fourth slot can be whatever works for you.

(Also these are the traits that I took when I reformed the Hellenic faith.)

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

NewMars posted:

It's pretty interesting how easy Bon is to reform compared to say, Finnic Paganism, or worse, West African paganism.

It seems even easier to do than Romuva, and that one's pretty easy to do (the only challenge there is getting up religious authority, but you can just constantly raid the many, many churches in Ireland.)

Not going to vote on the religion reform because my last pagan game (Romuvan Prussian Merchants) was before the mechanics were reworked. Temporal does seem more fitting for a religion reformed by someone pursuing the restoration of an empire, though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Daring kind of sucks, mostly because prepared invasions are basically useless at our size, but also because if we go for temporal we could just use great holy wars. it would be a fun flavor thing but sort of a waste of mechanicswise.

The point of daring is for our vassals/relatives etc to use it to go conquer poo poo in the name of BON.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
THE COUNCIL OF POTALA - MARCH 912

It is a cold dry morning, and the sun rises over a clear sky. The early morning silence is disturbed by the sound of marching. A royal procession, with a red-dyed palanquin in the center, is carried into an entrance hall, past an assembled crowd of nobles and priests, who pay homage. The low rumble of chanting throughout. Inside the palanquin, Gyalyum squints over a few notes written on a wax tablet. In frustration, she sets it aside, cursing under her breath. When the palanquin is set down, she emerges to great acclaim and the cheers of her court and army. She waits for them to quiet down, and she speaks.

: Do you know when this palace was built?

And in the crowd, a flash of doubt and confusion on one woman's face. Tse thinks to herself, 'oh poo poo, she's improvising'.

: Three centuries ago. Ten generations. It was built by my distant ancestor, Songsten Gampo. He was the one who built this place, Potala. He named it after a holy mountain, somewhere in the distant south. He ordered the creation of our written language. During his reign, he first allowed Buddhism to enter this land.

And then a voice rings out from the crowd. "And it was because of you they were defeated forever!" She glares at him, furious at the words more than the interruption.

: No. For now, not forever. He wanted to build something to last. In some ways, he succeeded, but in this, he failed.

: We are here to talk about what we are to do in the next years. What is to be the fate of our kingdom? I have said before, and I say now, that our rivals are not just the warlords, petty bandits, and false teachers here, but the kingdoms elsewhere. Our greatest enemies are not the bhikkus or the pujaris. They are to our south, to our west, to our north, and soon to our east.

: We must make this kingdom to be powerful. Our power comes not just from our swords, or from the names of our fathers and mothers, but in the stories we tell to the people.

: My hope is for a feeling of peace here, and thus for the people to be at peace with themselves, and that is why I have summoned you here for this vital task. I ask that the faith of the people be made fulfilling and strong, and for any arguments that you have to come to an end. That is why I have provided this place for you.

: I will listen to your words, and I will carry out my duty to the people on the basis of your wisdom.

: But if the disputes turn violent again, then I will end them.

: Go now about your work with my blessing. After this, we will have a Tibetan empire once again before I pass into the next world.

Vote for one of the following Natures:

Vote for two of the following Doctrines: (Note: I have removed Seafaring)

Vote for one of the following Leaderships:

:siren: If you have made a suggestion before this post, please post it again so it can be counted. :siren:

:siren: I will close polling in 24 hours after this post - 9:45 PM EST. :siren:

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 8, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

1. Unyielding seems best for trying to keep hold of Tibet
2. Daring and Harmonious: Seem narratively appropriate and offer fun opportunities later on. Daring will be useful to our vassals (and us should we ever find ourselves on the backslide);
3. Hierocratic I don't think Gyalyum has any interest in managing religious minutia and think conflict between secular and religious authorities is a rich well that will keep things interesting for the next few centuries

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Unyielding
Harmonious, Ancestor Veneration
Hierocratic

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I've been enjoying this thread a lot and I can't wait to see how this all shakes out. :allears: Let's go with:
Unyielding
Daring, Equality
Temporal

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Unyielding
Harmonious, Unrelenting Animistic
Hierocratic

Reading a bit deeper Unrelenting seems both cool and in-character, ignoring defensive attrition and getting an attack bonus are both solid

Edit: Changed vote from Unrelenting to Animistic

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 9, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nature: Unyielding
Doctrines: Equality, Unrelenting
Leadership Hierocratic

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

What does building a pyramid get us? I find the idea of building mountains on bigger mountains delightful but I don't want to get something that's a total mechanics waste for us.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Unyielding.
Harmonious, Daring.
Heirocratic.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

What does building a pyramid get us? I find the idea of building mountains on bigger mountains delightful but I don't want to get something that's a total mechanics waste for us.

It literally just lets you build a pyramid great work, which is much the same as other great works except... a pyramid.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Just a heads up, if it's not clear from the description, Harmonious is basically a free combo version of Meritocratic and Equality that only Bön can get, so we should definitely be taking it instead of the generic versions of Equality or Meritocracy.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
First and foremost, our faith should be Hierocratic. Certainly, her Highness should still be permitted to administer individual temples and monasteries - as is traditional - but the aristocracy will function more smoothly if certain major duties are kept to the clergy, and if foreign realms should ever see the light, this would prevent troublesome wars over who gets to be in charge.

Second, let us be Proselytizing. The nobility shall spread the light by way of the sword regardless - let our priests and monks spread it by the way of words and rites.

Harmonious seems the best way to ensure a strong royal line, and to handle the theological challenges posed by Buddhism and the Chinese schools of thought. I'll also vote for Animistic - only through respecting the spirits and supernatural forces that shape the realm can we ensure that it is peaceful and prosperous!

e: changed from Unyielding to Proselytizing bc Mirdini made some good points tbh

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 8, 2019

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Unyielding.
Harmonious, Unrelenting.
Hierocratic.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

NewMars posted:

It literally just lets you build a pyramid great work, which is much the same as other great works except... a pyramid.

That's extremely disappointing. We can't even store grain in it or something? :saddowns:

Unyielding
Unrelenting & Equality
Hierocratic

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Temporal, Harmonious, Bloodthirsty Gods, War Mongering
It is by her Majesty's Strength of Sword that we have arisen once more, and it is only by absolute faith in her and in that sword that we may survive. Kowtowing to monks is the way of the Buddhists and the Westerners, and where are they now? No, we must have one leader, and that leader must keep their sword sharp.

Sanzh
Mar 6, 2013
Nature: Unyielding
Doctrines: Harmonious, Animistic
Leadership: Hierocratic

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Unyielding.
Harmonious, Animistic.
Temporal.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Nature: Proselytizing

Gyelmo Gyalyum just opined that our power comes from the stories we tell to the people. These stories, if they have true power, must surely have the power to bring other peoples to the light of our leadership as well, both within and beyond Tibet! If we wish to end the threat of Buddhist heretics, the most effective route will be to spread the word of our faith far and wide, not withdraw and attempt to resist it through insularity as our forefathers did.

Doctrines: Harmonious, Stability

We must ensure the stability of our realm for generations to come, for when Gyalyum raises the banner of the Tibetan Empire once more, we must keep vigil and ensure it does not collapse once more into infighting!

To ensure that our traditions are treated with the proper respect and to spread the word, we require a powerful religious establishment that can work in its interests.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 8, 2019

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Also would like to note that I really enjoy the occasional wikipedia/other link to relevant locations etc. in the LP updates, it's a really neat touch.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

MaxieSatan posted:

First and foremost, our faith should be Hierocratic. Certainly, her Highness should still be permitted to administer individual temples and monasteries - as is traditional - but the aristocracy will function more smoothly if certain major duties are kept to the clergy, and if foreign realms should ever see the light, this would prevent troublesome wars over who gets to be in charge.

Second, I agree with the consensus that we should be Unyielding, seeking primarily to secure - and, where necessary, convert - our existing territory before engaging in further expansion.

Harmonious seems the best way to ensure a strong royal line, and to handle the theological challenges posed by Buddhism and the Chinese schools of thought. I'll also vote for Animistic - only through respecting the spirits and supernatural forces that shape the realm can we ensure that it is peaceful and prosperous!

I like this.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Unyielding, Ancestor Worship, Animistic, Temporal

Since time immemorial, the head of the household has propitiated the spirits of a dwelling to make it unassailable to the forces of the outside world. When Songsten Gampo abandoned this principle to embrace the words of monks, he put rot at the foundation of the social order, which made it inevitable that the state would come crashing down upon our parents' heads. But it has been made clear that something must be made to change or else another Gyelmo may in time turn to such thoughts again. Make firm the ancestors' words in the hearts of the people and rot will never spread.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

NewMars posted:

Unyielding.
Harmonious, Daring.
Heirocratic.

Another dose of this

Everyone picking equality or meritocracy only are missing that harmonious does both.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Unyielding
Harmonious, Unrelenting
Hierocratic

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Mirdini posted:

Nature: Proselytizing

Gyelmo Gyalyum just opined that our power comes from the stories we tell to the people. These stories, if they have true power, must surely have the power to bring other peoples to the light of our leadership as well, both within and beyond Tibet! If we wish to end the threat of Buddhist heretics, the most effective route will be to spread the word of our faith far and wide, not withdraw and attempt to resist it through insularity as our forefathers did.

Doctrines: Harmonious, Stability

We must ensure the stability of our realm for generations to come, for when Gyalyum raises the banner of the Tibetan Empire once more, we must keep vigil and ensure it does not collapse once more into infighting!

To ensure that our traditions are treated with the proper respect and to spread the word, we require a powerful religious establishment that can work in its interests.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewMars posted:

Unyielding.
Harmonious, Daring.
Heirocratic.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Gyalyum is the wisest, most powerful and sagest ruler anyone in this realm, or any other, can ever know. It is wise, then, to base our society off of her, to emulate her as closely as possible.

Unyielding. A more fearsome warrior none have ever known.
Enatic Clans, Ancestor Worship. The only guidance who will truly matter, now and in the future, is that of Gyalyum and her descendants.
Temporal. Her power over us should be absolute.