Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unyielding
Harmonious, Animistic
Hierocratic

This seems fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Unyielding
Equality, Animistic
Autonomous

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Unyielding
Harmonious, Daring
Temporal

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Unyielding
Harmonious, Bloodthirsty Gods
Temporal

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Proselytizing
Animistic, Harmonious
Temporal

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The amount of harmony votes in this thread disgusts me
War-mongering
Enatic Clans
Bloodthirsty Gods
Temporal

Our queen has led us here, clearly the gods were smiling on her, she and her daughters and nieces shall lead us forever more.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Unyielding
Harmonious, Astrology
Temporal

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

sheep-dodger posted:

The amount of harmony votes in this thread disgusts me
War-mongering
Enatic Clans
Bloodthirsty Gods
Temporal

Our queen has led us here, clearly the gods were smiling on her, she and her daughters and nieces shall lead us forever more.

Yes. We must become militant feminists.

I second this motion.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Unyielding.
Harmonious, Astrology.
Hierocratic.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Unyielding
Unrelenting, Harmonious
Hierocratic

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

War-mongering
Enatic Clans
Bloodthirsty Gods
Temporal

Blood for the blood queens!

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Unyielding
Harmonious, Animistic
Hierocratic

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Nature: Unyielding

Doctrines: Enatic Clans, Bloodthirsty Gods

Leadership: Temporal

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: Nine hours remaining until the vote ends! :siren:

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Nature: Warmongering

Doctrines: Harmonious, Bloodthirsty Gods

Leadership: Temporal

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
Unyielding.
Harmonious, Ancestor Worship.
Hierocratic.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nature: Unyielding
Doctrines: Equality, Unrelenting
Leadership Hierocratic

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Unyielding
Animistic, Harmonious
Hierocratic

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Unyielding
Harmonious, Ancestor Worship
Temporal

Edit: Messed with my vote a bit.

Eleven Eleven fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 8, 2019

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Unyielding
Temporal

:black101: WE SHALL DESCEND FROM THE MOUNTAIN UPON THE WHEEL GODS BELOW

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: ONE HOUR LEFT! Some of these polls are VERY close! :siren:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Warmongering
Heirocratic

:black101:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Changing my vote from Unrelenting to Animistic

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
:siren: POLLS ARE CLOSED :siren:

Natures:
Unyielding: 30 (QuidProQuid, megane, Minus Green, Crazycryodude, Technowolf, NewMars, Ferrovanadium, Akratic Method, Sanzh, GunnerJ, Chatrapati, Jossar, AtomikKrab, Aeromancia, Temaukel, theamazingchris, Sindai, do NOT jack off, PetraCore, wiegieman, ChrisAsmadi, Lynneth, Lando131, Guper, habeasdorkus, Atheris, sebzilla, ThingOne, Eleven Eleven, The Bold Kobold)
Warmongering: 6 (Rody One Half, sheep-dodger, HereticMIND, GrabbinPeels, Delvio, Anticheese)
Prosletyzing: 4 (MaxieSatan, Mirdini, Lord Cyrahzax, wedgekree)

Doctrines:
Harmonious: 29 (QuidProQuid, megane, Crazycryodude, NewMars, MaxieSatan, Ferrovanadium, Rody One Half, Sanzh, GunnerJ, Mirdini, Chatrapati, AtomikKrab, Aeromancia, wedgekree, Temaukel, Sindai, PetraCore, wiegieman, Lord Cyrahzax, ChrisAsmadi, Lynneth, Lando131, Guper, Delvio, Atheris, ThingOne, Eleven Eleven, The Bold Kobold, Anticheese)
Animistic: 11 (MaxieSatan, Sanzh, GunnerJ, Chatrapati, Jossar, Sindai, do NOT jack off, Lord Cyrahzax, Guper, ThingOne, Crazycryodude)
Bloodthirsty Gods: 9 (Rody One Half, wiegieman, sheep-dodger, HereticMIND, GrabbinPeels, habeusdorkus, Delvio, The Bold Kobold, Anticheese)
Daring: 6 (QuidProQuid, Minus Green, NewMars, AtomikKrab, Temaukel, PetraCore)
Unrelenting: 6 (Technowolf, Ferrovanadium, Akratic Method, Aeromancia, Lando131, sebzilla)
Ancestor Veneration: 5 (megane, Jossar, theamazingchris, Atheris, Eleven Eleven)
Enatic Clans: 5 (theamazingchris, sheep-dodger, HereticMIND, GrabbinPeels, habeusdorkus)
Equality: 5 (Minus Green, Technowolf, Akratic Method, do NOT jack off, sebzilla)
Astrology: 2 (ChrisAsmadi, Lynneth)
Stability: 2 (Mirdini, wedgekree)

Leadership:
Hierocratic: 23 (QuidProQuid, megane, Crazycryodude, Technowolf, NewMars, MaxieSatan, Ferrovanadium, Akratic Method, Sanzh, Mirdini, Chatrapati, AtomikKrab, Aeromancia, wedgekree, Temaukel, Sindai, Lynneth, Lando131, Guper, Atheris, sebzilla, ThingOne, Anticheese)
Temporal: 16 (Minus Green, Rody One Half, GunnerJ, Jossar, theamazingchris, PetraCore, wiegieman, Lord Cyrahzax, sheep-dodger, ChrisAsmadi, HereticMIND, GrabbinPeels, habeusdorkus, Delvio, Eleven Eleven, The Bold Kobold)
Autonomous: 1 (do NOT jack off)

With 40 votes, our proposals to Her Majesty Gyelmo Gyalyum are Unyielding, Harmonious, Animistic, and Hierocratic.

Her response will be delivered shortly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dang. I missed the vote. Not that it would've changed much other than plop another tick on Bloodthirsty Gods since all of my other choices were the top ones.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Late to the vote, still 3/4. Not bad!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I guess Temporal is kind of easy mode anyway.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
THE COUNCIL OF POTALA - CONCLUSION

The delegates have presented their work to Her Majesty, with a consensus emerging on all major issues. After presenting their discussions in a series of letters, the mood of the council has been one of nervous excitement. After receiving the works, Gyalyum herself has gone on a short retreat with Pakmodru Tse, the shieldmaiden Her Majesty trusts and values most. After a couple of days, she has returned to Potala, with a cold determined look on her face and clutching a pheasant she shot in the morning.

(To a servant, just outside the meeting hall): I'm going to eat this later. Get it ready.

She enters. All rise.

: I have been following the work of the council. You all should be pleased with what you've done. This is the start of something important.

: Animism is a good and necessary choice. We should listen to what each shepherd or guide or shaman says, whether this mountain or that pond is sacred. That is fair and just. This land is our home and we must respect it and defend it.

: Harmonious practices are also right. What you have done is to keep our ways but supported and protected them so they may still be told. We need our own holy books and to build our own shrines. Those of you that wanted Equality, may, I think, also be happy with this.

: Unyielding was not my first choice, and I will continue to reclaim the old lands for the rest of my life. But I will respect your decision and the need to defend ourselves.

: That, however, leaves leadership. That was less easy. I know you all had a debate and that was difficult.

: My first thought was to side with the Temporal faction - to have all power, both sacred and of this earth, assigned to one person, myself.

: And while I would do my duty, I must take a long view. We have to stand atop the mountain and look at everything else in the distance, even with the coming fog. What happens when there is someone who is less devoted to our faith? Or someone who cannot carry out their sacred duties, in war or anything else? Then the whole land would suffer. Look at the Caliphate to the far west to see what they've done. They can take most of the world in a century, and then fall into war. Like the kingdom of Langdarma and Ralpacan fifty years ago.

: But we have to go forth in a set direction. I will follow the Hierocratic doctrine, so we can respond to the threats around us.

I have chosen a leader of the faith who is of great virtue, one that you all know and trust.

You know her as the one who is dearest to me. I shall be the sword and she the shield.

We have the road ahead of us set. It will be difficult, but we can persevere. We cannot walk through the hilly paths in a straight line, but we know the way we must go.

Go out to the people and let the words cry out.

We have our faith and our creed.

Let the world tremble.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Hail the Sword and Shield! May they bring all Tibet into our fold - soil and soul!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Long live Punch Queen and Pope Wife!

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Finally, our glorious queen has crafted a perfect system that will endure for a thousand years!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 6: 912 to 922 - Gyelmo Purgyal Gyalyum 'Knuckle-Slammer'

"Prayers of benediction gladdened the hearts and minds of these many eminents. Barbarian and civilized alike, all who heard of the feat wept and were overcome with emotion, and the assembled warriors beat their drums and cymbals and sounded their horns."
-The History of Jin, The Biography of Gyelmo Purgyal Gyalyum of Tubo

Upon the conclusion of the great council at Potala, the attendees soon received word that the founder of the Jin Dynasty, the great khagan Feicen, was dead. Her son would soon assume the Dragon Throne, and face the momentous task of preserving what his mother had created.

It became rapidly apparent that the new set of religious beliefs and practices determined at Potala were not universally accepted in the reach of the kingdom. The areas in the furthest west and north immediately accepted the conclusions and new orders of the council, whereas the lands closest to the capital at Lhasa resisted these changes the most strongly.

The Gyelmo herself had to convince several tribal leaders and local clan heads of the importance of these reforms.

In what appeared as the first diplomatic test of the new arrangement between religious and civil affairs, the Archpriestess Tse announced that a state of war existed between her and the Chief of Mainling - that is, her older brother, who did not accept the council's conclusions and first believed them to be the result of Buddhist conspiracies.

Despite this 'declaration of war', no real hostilities broke out, and the chief was convinced to accede to Tse's demands by the Gyelmo.

As impatient and as driven as ever, Gyalyum attacks some of the more disorganized remnants of the Kyrgyz hordes to her north and east, first seizing the lands around Qamdo.

After this short and glorious war, she moves to the east, against the bands at Derge. This proves to be more difficult, as one of her most talented commanders was killed in battle after an enemy soldier snuck around to her side with the damaged eye and struck her in the torso with an axe. Filled with anger and frustration, the troops went and ransacked Dege, against Gyalyum's orders, showing that her command of the troops was slipping.

After some haranguing, Gyalyum then turns her attention to the strongest of the remaining Kyrgyz warlords in Nangqên and Zadoi.

The news of a Buddhist rebellion in Sikkim is not enough to put a serious dent in her plans, as Qapugtang falls without much resistance and the rebels are defeated in a forest outside of Mangan.

As that campaign concludes, the Sumpa announce their plans to invade the Tangut kingdom of Xia, which is torn by civil strife.

After a short rest, Gyalyum announces a plan to invade the Himalayan lords of Limbuwan, after being told of its potential by others in the warrior lodge. While the land appears isolated, the plan is complicated by the fact that they still swear allegiance to the lords of Bengal...

who still swear fealty to the Pratihara Empire, which still commands the largest army on the continent outside of China.

Gyalyum is not at all deterred. She is, in fact, heartened by the news that more of her people have kept the faith.

The Pratihara struck quickly, taking the city of Dzongka while her forces were occupied in Limbuwan.

To cover her flank, she moves through a northern pass and towards one of the invading armies while they are still separate.

Her personal guard is separated from the main body of the troops and cut down to a man.

She lunges towards the enemy commander and is cut across the face. She staggers over, unconscious, and is left for dead.

And yet the battle is still won. Gyalyum makes her way back to her army, filthy, exhausted, alive, with a scar across her face and the same fury in her.

The Sumpa have won their campaign against the Tanguts, and soon more troops will be freed up for the war in the south.

The war claims more and more dead. Her old enemy-turned-ally, Po the Ruthless, is among the dead. She has sworn to care for his daughter, and soon a friendly relationship forms.

The army heads south, through Kushinagar, where the Buddha is said to have attained Nirvana after death. The Pratihara army, marching fast, is ready to meet them.

The main bulk of their armies meet near the Ramagrama stupa, where the relics of the Buddha are kept. It matters not. Hindu and Bon fight here. Gyalyum leads a frontal assault right at the enemy center, and soon their army splinters and flees.

The victory is decisive. Limbuwan is hers.

A reason to celebrate. And to spend time with Tse again. A chance to say things that don't go in letters.

In 916, she attends the funerary ceremony of an old warrior who could not afford cremation.

It is an old rite, perhaps as old as Bön. Not everyone can afford the wood to be burned, and the soil is too thin for burials. So the body is cleaned and left for the birds. On the journey back to Lhasa, she is caught in the rain. As she shelters, she stares right ahead and traces patterns in the dust with her fingers. The anger which animated her for so long softens and she focuses on an ambition to leave something behind after she is gone.

She is spoken of in clan meetings and warriors huts and monasteries throughout the land. Yet she craves more. That too shall pass.

She makes friends over the memory of those left behind.

Tse is always sure to send friends and messengers bearing gifts.

Gyalyum makes ready to ride out against the mad king of the Tanguts.

Her nephew and defacto heir comes of age. He is a passionate and stubborn young man, as many young men are.

As she rides out to the north, the general anxiety and dread she feels have subsided like a clearing of fog. She feels tense, yes, but ready.

Her regent from when she was a child offers to teach her some words and phrases spoken in Amdo and Kham. She agrees, without hesitation.

On the way north, the local lord she put in charge of Khotan complains bitterly about the violence inflicted upon innocents in his own city and laments that such things were even possible. She listens and thinks.

While the Tangut armies are beaten near the salt marshes, she demurs and ultimately decides against attacking the Han towns in old Jiuquan, in what was the Tang.

It is best to do other things. Train the younger warriors. Learn the Amdo and Kham dialects. (Something like Sanskit or Chinese is too remote.) The stress of work and responsibility soon get to her.

The Cumans to her west settle down. Settle down. Wouldn't that be nice?

No, for gods' sake. She is this close. This close. The Nepalese are weak. Just a few last wars.

Her nephew is becoming a kind and responsible person. That at least is cause for relief. (Note: Apparently the Animist trait in reformed religions gives characters the same facial paint/tattoos as West Africans...)

Too easy.

She orders her troops from more distant lands and they are confused and relieved to hear someone who can speak to them.

Victory after victory.

After this is over and we are secure, she shall be a good person.

One more. The lords of Gorkha, which broke away from Bengal.

Their Raja is captured. It is almost enough to say there is no more bloodshed. He is not sacrificed.

Add them to the list of glories. Another kingdom, another battle, another war. Enough.

The Empire is restored.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 12, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
A life goal reached. Now she can be at peace with herself!

Amazing writing.

And so she will transition from conqueror to ruler.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Well, it’s good that you’ve finally re-established Tibet. Now what?

Perhaps some westward expansion is in order? Hey, you need room to grow...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HereticMIND posted:

Well, it’s good that you’ve finally re-established Tibet. Now what?

Perhaps some westward expansion is in order? Hey, you need room to grow...

Well when I did my Bon run I found plenty of room to wander.
https://twitter.com/RodyleCockroach/status/1138351113512587269?s=19

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Well when I did my Bon run I found plenty of room to wander.
https://twitter.com/RodyleCockroach/status/1138351113512587269?s=19

Oh boy that’s some real life goals right there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Africa was all vassals, iirc (I did conquer China though).

Britannia was the AI reforming Norse early on, the Fylkir quickly lost their land, and then the rest of that just HAPPENED.

Love you paradox

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 11, 2019

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Gyalyum later years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hh1YhDfbA

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Congrats on the new Empire! Hope this means China is in your sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Congrats on the new Empire! Hope this means China is in your sights.

There are all the riches of India to consider, as well as heading north and securing all the origin points on the silk road.