Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
C: Noble Elite - We don't have the most secure footing, here. Keeping the warrior nobility on board will help protect the nascent republic.
C: Republicanism - That said, what is the point of all this if we don't make the republican ideal the center of political culture?
C: Sortition - This should curb the ambitions of would-be tyrants in the aristocracy.
A: Provincial Governments - Seems like the most efficient way to deal with constituent elements of the overall commonwealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A - Oligarchy
C - Republicanism
A - Frequent Elections
B - Administrative Divisions

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I am compelled to support the ACAB proposal.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Fools, you have no perception. The stakes we are gambling are frighteningly high!

We must crush them completely, like Tse before her, this Gyalyum must die!

Question 1: Power Structure
A: Oligarchy - power rests naturally in the hands of a few.

We can only hope that our right thinking leaders listen to the wisdom of Lasya and the High Church.

Question 2: Republican Virtues
A: Authoritarianism - the Republic itself must be strong.

For if they hesitate, we are all lost.

Question 3: Frequency of Elections
B: Consolidation of Power - we cannot have naive and inexperienced leadership.

We cannot trust those militants and moguls who are out only for themselves and not Tibet.

Question 4: Regionalism
B: Administrative Divisions - maintain an appointed bureaucracy.

Nor can we trust the traitors who seek to throw off liberty and return to chains of "divine right."

:black101:

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 14, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

C. Noble Elite: Look, just because Gyalyum III herself turned out to be false doesn't mean we need to throw out the whole system. I quite like my princely estate and getting to help make decisions solely by virtue of my very big house.

B. Political Dynasties: Those of us with the very big houses have a duty to care for the state. We cannot expect the pathetic masses to have any commitment to the state or its ideals.

C. Sortition: I'm of the belief that all nobles are created equal, endowed with certain unalienable rights, among them the right to rule the masses with an iron fist. Let's come together and respect that we are all equally capable of managing the affairs of state.

B. Administrative Divisions: Frankly, I find this whole question absurd. The empire should be governed wholly by the center, but if I must pick, I might as well pick the least terrible.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Kassad posted:

I am compelled to support the ACAB proposal.

As we know, All Carantanians Are Bogomilists.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

All Cathmandians Are Buddhists!

(e: I just wanted to make an ACAB slogan, my actual vote is the one above.)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 14, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
C
A
B

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016
ACAB

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah i'm voting ACAB without actually reading the options :v:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
B
B
B
A

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

ACAC

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
A
C
C
B

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
CACC

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

C A B A

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
ACAB

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
All
Courtiers
Are
Bön

(Edit: I ain't changing my votes, just wanted to get on the ACAB fun)

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

1 A
2 B
3 B
4 C

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren:The vote is closed. :siren:

A) Oligarchy: 16 (xthetenth, Pacho, Technowolf, Xelkelvos, Caustic Soda, Rody One Half, Lynneth, Empress Theonora, Kassad, habeasdorkus, kibaces, biosterous, Negostrike, zealouscub, Necroskowitz, Ikasuhito)
B) Plutocracy: 2 (Crazycryodude, Viola the Mad)
C) Noble Elite: 12 (megane, Tulip, Lord Cyrahzax, Soup du Jour, Coward, idhrendur, ThatBasqueGuy, Jeoh, GunnerJ, QuoProQuid, Chatrapati, EmotionlessThug)

A) Authoritarianism: 3 (Habeasdorkus , Chatrapati, EmotionlessThug)
B) Political Dynasties: 8 (Pacho, Lord Cyrahzax, Xelkelvos, Coward, idhrendur, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Ikasuhito)
C) Republicanism: 19 (megane, xthetenth, Tulip, Technowolf, Soup du Jour, Caustic Soda, Rody One Half, ThatBasqueGuy, Jeoh, Lynneth, GunnerJ, Empress Theonora, Kassad, Crazycryodude, kibaces, biosterous, Negostrike, zealouscub, Necroskowitz)

A) Frequent Elections: 11 (Pacho, Technowolf, Caustic Soda, Rody One Half, Empress Theonora, Kassad, Crazycryodude, kibaces, biosterous, Negostrike, Necroskowitz)
B) Consolidation of Power: 5 (Soup duJour, habeasdorkus, Viola the Mad, EmotionlessThug, Ikasuhito)
C) Sortition: 14 (megane, xthetenth, Tulip, Lord Cyrahzax, Xelkelvos, Coward, idhrendur, ThatBasqueGuy, Jeoh, Lynneth, GunnerJ, QuoProQuid, zealouscub, Chatrapati)

A) Provincial Governments: 8 (megane, Xelkelvos, Caustic Soda, Rody One Half, ThatBasqueGuy, GunnerJ, Viola the Mad, EmotionlessThug)
B) Administrative Divisions: 15 (Lord Cyrahzax, Soup du Jour, Coward, idhrendur, Jeoh, Lynneth, Empress Theonora, Kassad, habeasdorkus, QuoProQuid, Crazycryodude, kibaces, biosterous, zealouscub, Necroskowitz)
C) Union of States: 7 (xthetenth, Pacho, Tulip, Technowolf, Negostrike, Chatrapati, Ikasuhito)

And like a child, the young republic makes its first steps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
All cops cre bastards.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
All cops: continually bastards!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
The Foundation of a Republic - Part II

The reforms as agreed upon were implemented in the first months of 1616. Rulers would be chosen by lot, and expected to serve until death.

The principles of sortition were met with a cautious acceptance from the outer nobility; this was considered to be a fair compromise given Bön's embrace of ritual, prognostication, and sortilege.

Tsering Lhagyari, so appointed for life, still had further matters to address.

Such as, would Tibet need a new banner or standard? To replace that of the old Purgyals. Would it need a new title? New forms of address? What color would it be on the new expensive maps that are commissioned? Somebody else could do that.

You read that right. This is an open call for name suggestions and flags. 128x128 pixels, format doesn't matter as I can convert it. You don't have to include a suggestion here if you don't want to, but you can vote for whichever ones you want. I'll pick the one that has the most approval from you all.

Finally, there was the rest of the Sacred Tibetan Empire.

The Sacred Tibetan Empire was hastily constructed by the Empress Yongdagmo in the mid-1440s after the campaigns of Lasya the Holy nearly tore the empire apart. It was partly sacred, it was ruled primarily by Tibetans, and it held much of the territory of the old empire. Yet it was easily ridiculed. It was still thought of as a bodge, it did not prevent internal warfare between its components, and only rulers from the Tibetan Plateau or Rajputana were ever elected to lead it - mostly Purgyals, but a few other noble families won that throne. And still, it was a safeguard against foreign invasion. Only the Empress Yongdagmo herself could have had any hope of reforming or strengthening it; nobody else had done so in almost two hundred years.

And as a republic, Tibet itself had eliminated any chance of it being elected to its leadership again - making it the sole property of the rulers of Rajputana - beset by their own troubles and unsuccessful campaigns.

The choice here was simple: Stay in the empire, where nothing would change, or Leave? There is a chance that some of the other constituent states of the empire would leave, or ask to join Tibet, so as to avoid their own annexation. There is also a chance that the Empire would not take this too kindly.

Tsering Lhagyari sits, mute, and thinks of the fates of empires.

There could be further centralization and expansion, of political centralization and lines of troops in line with gunpowder and cannon. Deep down, she envies the Anatolian Sultana for that.

Or there could be a near-permanent dissolution, as the rest of the empire might see weakness and call for revenge and plunder. Both were only too possible.

The vote will close next Friday, October 23rd, at 9 PM EST. Flag and namechat can go for a few days beyond that - I won't be able to put in as much time on this for a while due to work.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jesus that Mali + Ethiopia...

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

In these chaotic times, it is essential that we stake our claims in the firmest and clearest terms possible. Thus, to ensure that all understand us to be the true inheritors of Gyalyum and Tse's legacy, I propose we be reconstituted under the following terms:

Title: The REAL Sacred Tibetan Empire

Flag:

Weep, ye mighty, before the power of this flag that combines all symbols of our empire on one standard! Weep and despair!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 19, 2020

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Get out of the empire. Its time has come.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

What has the STE ever do for us? I say we Leave

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Pacho posted:

Tibexit means Tibexit!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pacho posted:

I'm convinced! Vote Leave!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

QuoProQuid posted:

Flag:

Weep, ye mighty, before the power of this flag that combines all symbols of our empire on one standard! Weep and despair!

This flag is beautiful. Also it's time to Tibexit the premises.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Rapid spitballing of names is a go:

The Tibetan Freehold, The Sublime State of Tibet, The Harmonious Republic of Heaven/Tibet, The Republic of Tazig

I feel that it would only be appropriate for the Tibetan Republic to have a grandiose name which I tried to come up with.

For the flag, I am not an artist, but since the Republic decision is basically a culmination of the Middle Factions repeated wins I'd say we should incorporate their emblem into the flag:

Should we stay or should we go?

Leave.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Tibexit

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Let us leave and stake our claim simultaneously by calling ourselves something like The Grand Republic of India And the Tibetan Plateau, or The Great South Asian Republic, or The Republic Without Borders.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Leave! What has the STE ever done for us? Take back control!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The so called Sacred so called Tibetan so called Empire was a failed experiment. At least insofar as Tibet somehow not remaining at the apex of it.

If Tibet is to leave, then we should be called the Highest Holy Republic of Tibet

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TIBEXIT

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
LEAVE!

Power to the Upper Echelons of Society!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Leave. No true republic would bow and scrape before an emperor.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Leave.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Leave

:bandwagon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

We need to leave and get rid of the imperial oppressors in an October revolution.