Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Unyielding.
Harmonious, Astrology.
Hierocratic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Imperial Mexico in this case would most likely be a successful Toltec empire - the Aztec/Nahua didn't get bit until the 14th and 15th centuries.
Similarly, their great foes wouldn't be the Inca, but rather an alliance of regional powers such as the Tiwanaku and Chimu.
I'll nerd out about all those later-on though, I guess. Because hell yeah, Sunset Invasion. One of my favourite DLC in CK2, bar none. This is gonna be good.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Plenty of nerding out so far. I don't know nearly as much about the Aztec cultures as I do about the Maya and Peruvian ones, so I'll not talk any about the most bloodthirsty bastards that side of the ocean. I'm gonna focus on my favourites, the Inca and their predecessors.

Pacho posted:

[Snip on a bunch of stuff about OTL Inca]
I'm not gonna argue about OTL stuff, but it's reasonably possible for the Plague to get back to the New World through the 'Aztec' invasion, on sihps of loot and such. The Peruvian civilisations would likely be affected a quarter to a half century later, roughly how the timeline went with OTL. However, there would never have been as much of a monolithic bloc. Tiwanaku would most likely be the foremost power in the region, the equivalent of Austria or Bohemia in the HRE. At its approximate peak in 800 AD OTL, it was a cultural and religious centre, but the population was fairly low. Probably mostly 'soft power', alliances instead of big armies. Sadly, the language as a whole was lost, so it's not certain what the people of Tiwanaku called themselves.

In Tibet's timeline an ambitious ruler around 500-600 AD could have used his soft power to strengthen Tiwanaku's influence in some way or form to bring the various citystates and petty kingdoms into a loose-ish alliance with one high king. If this happened, we could have things like a thriving Nazca people. The Wari people were fairly influential at the time as well, probably in a coalition with the coastal states of the time. They'd likely play the counterweight to Tiwanaku's influence, kind of like a Prussia-Austria situation but trying to gain political superiority through diplomacy rather than outright warfare. There most likely were plenty of raids from more nomadic tribes and cultures forcing them to keep playing nice with each other.
In a nutshell, militaristically strong Wari versus cultural/religious powerhouse Tiwanaku with dozens of minor to medium states all vying to be the Big Kahuna is the most likely scenario right now, in Peru.

Polynesian colonisers or Peruvians colonising into Polynesia is feasible, if kind of unlikely? The distances involved are significant, though it'd be more likely for Polynesians to visit and potentially establish a city-state in the north, near the modern Peru-Ecuador border. Isla Puná and surrounds would be an ideal location, potentially. Galapagos could be a 'pit-stop' for them.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh god yes. The midsized ground sloths like Mylodon were over 1000 kg and lasted until ~5000 BCE. I don't think large animal domestication started in the new world until like 3000 BCE with the llama, but I think guinea pigs were further back than that. So if domestication kicks off earlier, you've got a potential for the functional equivalent of the aurochs or water buffalo.

And that's not even talking about Megatherium and the other truly gigantic ground sloths. They were around until about ~10,000 BCE, which is (give or take a couple thousand years) when humans began the process of hunting males of a species and leaving a reproductive population. If that happens in South America, you've got the chance for them to survive as a species until they can become semi-domesticated a la the Asian and African elephants.

What I'm getting at...

This world needs sloxen and war sloths with bigass step temple howdahs!
Hell yes. This would make things both hilarious and awesome for that region, and would probably lead to significant further diversion. The Wheel would get developed as a useful tool instead of a toy, for example - Llama and Alpacas are unsuitable as beasts of burden, unable to carry or pull much beyond their own weight, but these Mylodons could pull stuff up and down mountains the way oxen and similar critters do all over Eurasia and Africa. That alone is a huge game changer.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Thinking about it - if Mylodon (and Megatherium) were domesticated, it would most likely first have happened around the Pampas of Argentina, Uruguay and south Brazil. It's fairly flat terrain, temperate and generally equivalent to the Great Plains, or France and Germany. Temperatures are fairly mild, with frost only in a few months of the year, allowing for almost year-round agriculture. The risk of tornados exists, but isn't as crazy as in the modern US.
This leads me to believe that the Pampas would have become the Americas' initial Cradle of Civilisation rather than the Norte Chico civilisation in Peru, possibly developing a few centuries earlier - or at the same time, which would be interesting, too. Assuming they develop alongside each other, we're looking at a situation not unlike the Middle East with initially competing city-states emerging, then slowly coalescing. The two civilisations would probably develop along wildly different lines, with Norte Chico's successors moving along the same lines as OTL, but possibly a little faster, with more stability as the Mylodon and Megatherium make their way into the Andes over the centuries. Our hypothetical Pampas civilisation could go along similar lines to either Sumerian civilisations, or along the lines of the Indus Valley civilisation (the Valley being another 'Cradle'' OTL, for the record), with significant cities emerging quite early-on.

Around 2,000-1,500 BC we'd probably be looking at the some cities in the Amazon Forest popping up, with a significant chunk of the general continent sporting people bunched up like that. Mostly along the coastline or the Amazon River though, I figure. There is a decent amount of evidence that the Amazon could sustain at least 5 million people, perhaps a little more, with the methods of the time. With domesticated Sloths, we can safely raise that by 50% at least, if not more. Very disparate though, because I honestly don't think the locals would start burning the whole bloody forest down, rather than learning how to keep the forest alive while farming efficiently.

By 1,000-500 BC we're likely looking at equivalent development as in Europe. There'd absolutely be a powerful iron-using civilisation in Bolivia, because 10% of the world's iron ore is in one place. And that's kinda crazy. Sky's the limit from here, and I still like the HRE-like coalition of states and statelets centered around the Andes being the 'Aztec' Empire's biggest enemy.
Gunpowder is almost an afterthought, because with such widespread civilisation, hell yes they'd develop the stuff and militarise it.

Feel free to pick and tear apart what I wrote, I'm mostly thinking out loud.
Edit: Also, Kangxi, feel free to link to any of my poo poo.

Lynneth fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 20, 2019

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Pacho posted:

It would be incredibly funny if Tiawanaku was South America's Rome-like iron age hegemon that later polities are doomed to try to reach their heights and fail

It'd probably not be Tiwanaku as the continent's Rome - they'd be a successor state of a Rome equivalent, I'd think. Said equivalent would more likely be a Nazca analogue. Because I want geoglyphs (aka Nazca Lines) everywhere.
Tiwanaku could be either a France or Byzantine-like state, holding on to the legacy of their forefathers while harried on all sides by hostiles trying to get a piece of the pie. Except they also have to work with all the barbarians around them to push against the Maya and Aztec states in the north, against the petty kings of the Pampas, and whatever polities there exist in the Amazon. If we go by guns having been invented by the Andean states, I'd figure Tiwanaku or Wari would've pioneered that. So we've potentially got Byzantium on steroids, with guns. I like it.

Meanwhile, back to the LP: I hope we'll get a bigger view of the world soon. I'm curious just how hosed-up things end up being west of the Caspian Sea.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Time skip plus custom events as necessary seems the most sensible to me.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
And so it shall be War.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Leave her alone. Do not interfere with the plans of those greater than you.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
A!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
A. I for one wish for an Eternal Empress.
(Who converts to Daoism because hey, she's got the advisor right there)

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Nope.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Magnificent.
Soon, it will be time to worldbuild more. :allears:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
1 - A
2 - C
3 - B
4 - A
5 - A
6 - B
7 - C
8 - B
9 - C
10 - B
11 - C

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

MaxieSatan posted:

Unrelated to the ongoing vote, but I put together a couple variants on a potential Jin China flag -

Of the two, I prefer the latter.

Try putting the purple of the first into the is-that-even-purple of the second. The second's poipl seems a bit too washed-out, in my opinion.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Yes, yeees :magical:
The best timeline.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I want to vote administrative, but none have voted for it yet, so...
Innovative. Second best.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Oh wow the aztecs have fallen hard.

Looks like they had a massive civil war and split into their constituent parts - they were at 800+ development at the beginning of EU4.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Throwing my lot in with

Diplomatic Ideas

Parliament

I would also like to know more about the Trading Coasts.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

[Snip]

(Sorry for sperging, Japanese history is sort of a hobby of mine.)

Sperging is what we're here for.
That said, I really like the interpretation of the Tenno being a purely ceremonial or religious title in this timeline.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Archaeologists of the future will have such a field day. with the Roman ruins.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Bloody hell, so many reformers.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Bloody hell, another impostor.

B)

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
A C C B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Get out of the empire. Its time has come.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
C
L

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Southern Trade will make us rich beyond belief

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Less delegation

The economy, fools!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Kangxi posted:

:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Ideas:
Humanist: 13 (Pacho, Lynneth, frankenfreak, Josef bugman, megane, RagnarokZ, Guper, zealouscub, Caustic Soda, Technowolf, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi)
Economic: 10 (Tulip, RabidWeasel, Jeoh, McGavin, Lynneth, Danny Glands, habeasdorkus, Soup du Jour, HereticMIND, Flesnolk)
Expansion: 3 (Lord Cyrahzax, idhrendur, Albino Squirrel)
Quality: 1 (Rody One Half)
Quantity: 1 (Xelkelvos)

Voting/Delegation:
YES/PARLIAMENTARY VOTING/MORE DELEGATION: 9 (Lynneth, Pacho, Lord Cyrahzax, frankenfreak, megane, RagnarokZ, Rody One Half, zealouscub, Technowolf)
NO/REGULAR VOTING/LESS DELEGATION: 19 (Tulip, RabidWeasel, Jeoh, McGavin, Lynneth, Xelkelvos, Danny Glands, Guper, Caustic Soda, GunnerJ, habeasdorkus, Soup du Jour, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Alikchi, idhrendur, Albino Squirrel, HereticMIND, Flesnolk)

In accordance with the Drötsok's deliberation, the Heavenly Republic will focus on Humanistic ideas. The vote in the thread will continue as before, and I will not introduce parliamentary mechanics.

I appear to have been counted doubly. Twice.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

B - Morality

C - South

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Kangxi posted:

With unanimous votes for unlimited military expansion.

Another vote soon: we'll need to see how this celestial empire will hold itself together.

I love democracy.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
A for more Purgyals.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
F

NO
, damnit

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I just want the drat recipe, not a lesson on history!

(Great update!)

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Information in Incan successors, please

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Thank you for the fantastic ride, Kangxi.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Kangxi posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/529340/Victoria_3/

We have a formal release date for Vicky 3: and I hope to resume modding work soon after. Well, ideally if I don't get lost in the weeds playing this for a few months.

Time to wait for 2-4 expansions for it to become playable :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
V3 needs another year or two of cooking, and a DLC or three. Much like most PDox games, really.