Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the american system works best when the president and congress aren't controlled by the sam eparty, deadlock is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

redneck nazgul posted:

the american system works best when the president and congress aren't controlled by the sam eparty, deadlock is good

*drowns due to rising sea levels*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Who What Now posted:

That anarchism is the edgelord of political theories.

I still think that, but I used to too

Becoming an anarchist is functionally identical to giving up. Except in America where the anarchists are even worse because they have overlap with libertarians and, think things like "having environmental regulations is just oppression by public interests instead of private ones" and vote against Bernie in primaries

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
stalin did some things wrong

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Trump vs Clinton is a great chance for America to suddenly back third parties

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

weirdly, texas was the only state where any shred of electoral good news came for democrats in 2016. it went Trump but not as much as other states, and state-level Dems actually gained seats in the lower house. they chipped at the majority even further last year. this is in spite of the fact that the state party is still a dysfunctional mess

oddly enough, i actually have an ounce of faith in Texas. not Georgia though, they're hosed. squidbillies is an accurate depiction of that state

Yeah Texas actually had a bunch of the semi-mythical "Romney->Clinton" voters, its just that losing by 9 points instead of 18 is functionally worthless.

I think California is one of the other places those voters actually existed, which, well, lol.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jewel Repetition posted:

Becoming an anarchist is functionally identical to giving up. Except in America where the anarchists are even worse because they have overlap with libertarians and, think things like "having environmental regulations is just oppression by public interests instead of private ones" and vote against Bernie in primaries

Anarchists =! "Anarcho-"capitalists.

Actual anarchists, as in "no hierarchy," realise that in order for life to go anywhere but extinct, we need to be stewards of our environment. And if you mean those goobers on /r/LateStageCapitalism, I feel like they're the flood victim from the "Two boats and a helicopter" parable.

Hurricane's rolling in and the neighborhood's being evacuated amid flood concerns. All except one fellow. Neighbor asks him "Shouldn't you be gettin' up outta here too? Whole area's gonna be underwater soon!" The fellow says "Nah, I've got faith, God will save me." Neighbor shrugs and gets the gently caress onto the evac bus.
4 hours later, floodwaters have engulfed the bottom half of the fellow's house; he's sitting on the roof, nonchalantly. A firefighter comes by in a boat and calls to him "Sir! You need to come with me, this storm's not letting up anytime soon, you're gonna drown!" Fellow laughs it off. "I've got faith, God's gonna save me." "Suit yourself!" the firefighter calls as he motors away.
4 more hours pass, the water is now at the roof line and shows no signs of stopping. A FEMA agent zips up to the house in another boat and calls to the fellow "Hey friend, you need to get in this boat NOW, else you'll die!" Fellow's unconvinced, squinting through the driving rain he says "God will save me, you worry about yourself." FEMA has better poo poo to do that help people who won't be helped so they continue their evacuation efforts elsewhere.
4 more hours on, the rain has subsumed the roof and the fellow's standing on the chimney of his house, the water around around his ankles. An army helicopter flies in and hovers overhead. The door opens and a rope ladder is dropped, followed by shouts of "Citizen, get in this loving helo NOW!" "gently caress off," shouts the fellow, "God will save me!" The mission objective was not to rescue the suicidal, so the ladder retracts and the chopper takes leave of the area.
Fellow drowns, he arrives in heaven. He walks up to God and asks Him "My Lord, I had faith in you, why did you abandon me?" "Abandon you!? I done sent two boats and a goddamned helicopter after you!"

Tubgoat has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Jun 3, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tubgoat posted:

Fellow drowns, he arrives in heaven. He walks up to God and asks Him "My Lord, I had faith in you, why did you abandon me?" "Abandon you!? I done sent two boats and a goddamned helicopter after you!"

I feel like if literal god is telling you a helicopter was god damned you made the right choice drowning

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

I feel like if literal god is telling you a helicopter was god damned you made the right choice drowning

God's very flippant when you ignore His repeated attempts to save your overly-credulous rear end.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

The Ghoul posted:

Communism can never work.
Anarchism is for children.
Unions are bad.

one of these is still true

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
The joke anarchism is basing your philosophical outlook on obscure egoism and idolizing criminal gangs or people living like primitivist-scavengers in areas where order has broken down as desirable examples of anarchy in action.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

uncop posted:

The joke anarchism is basing your philosophical outlook on obscure egoism and idolizing criminal gangs or people living like primitivist-scavengers in areas where order has broken down as desirable examples of anarchy in action.

Nope, not seeing the problem

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's worthwhile to engage with conservative viewpoints and follow some of their pundits because even though I may not agree with them they could have an important perspective to consider

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

Anarchists =! "Anarcho-"capitalists.

Actual anarchists, as in "no hierarchy," realise that in order for life to go anywhere but extinct, we need to be stewards of our environment. And if you mean those goobers on /r/LateStageCapitalism, I feel like they're the flood victim from the "Two boats and a helicopter" parable.

Hurricane's rolling in and the neighborhood's being evacuated amid flood concerns. All except one fellow. Neighbor asks him "Shouldn't you be gettin' up outta here too? Whole area's gonna be underwater soon!" The fellow says "Nah, I've got faith, God will save me." Neighbor shrugs and gets the gently caress onto the evac bus.
4 hours later, floodwaters have engulfed the bottom half of the fellow's house; he's sitting on the roof, nonchalantly. A firefighter comes by in a boat and calls to him "Sir! You need to come with me, this storm's not letting up anytime soon, you're gonna drown!" Fellow laughs it off. "I've got faith, God's gonna save me." "Suit yourself!" the firefighter calls as he motors away.
4 more hours pass, the water is now at the roof line and shows no signs of stopping. A FEMA agent zips up to the house in another boat and calls to the fellow "Hey friend, you need to get in this boat NOW, else you'll die!" Fellow's unconvinced, squinting through the driving rain he says "God will save me, you worry about yourself." FEMA has better poo poo to do that help people who won't be helped so they continue their evacuation efforts elsewhere.
4 more hours on, the rain has subsumed the roof and the fellow's standing on the chimney of his house, the water around around his ankles. An army helicopter flies in and hovers overhead. The door opens and a rope ladder is dropped, followed by shouts of "Citizen, get in this loving helo NOW!" "gently caress off," shouts the fellow, "God will save me!" The mission objective was not to rescue the suicidal, so the ladder retracts and the chopper takes leave of the area.

But he arrived in Heaven, though.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The God in my parables is not an irredeemable psychopath, unlike the one Americans worship, and actually practices forgiveness and love. :colbert:

My other favorite is much shorter: Heaven and Hell are identical places; groups of people are seated around a grand banquet on an enormous table, piled high with all the best foods, with 10-foot-long chopsticks. Those in Heaven are happy and stuffed, while those in Hell are starving and miserable, because you can't feed yourself with 10-foot-long chopsticks.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tubgoat posted:

The God in my parables is not an irredeemable psychopath, unlike the one Americans worship, and actually practices forgiveness and love. :colbert:

My other favorite is much shorter: Heaven and Hell are identical places; groups of people are seated around a grand banquet on an enormous table, piled high with all the best foods, with 10-foot-long chopsticks. Those in Heaven are happy and stuffed, while those in Hell are starving and miserable, because you can't feed yourself with 10-foot-long chopsticks.

gj stealing a Buddhism parable lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Chokes McGee posted:

gj stealing a Buddhism parable lol

Heard in Hawai`i, checks out. :hmmyes:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tubgoat posted:

Just grab the food with your hands, dinguses.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Or choke up on the chopsticks. This parable sucks.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
we don't deserve this
we can change it
death isn't certain

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Communism just needs the right leaders and it will work.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

we don't deserve this
we can change it
death isn't certain

dark

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

socially liberal and fiscally conservative is a real thing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

its probably good to have a conservative supreme court

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

conservatives are human beings

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

conservatives republicans are human beings

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Who What Now posted:

Or choke up on the chopsticks. This parable sucks.

the original version has their fingers replaced with the 10 foot chopsticks which makes it make more sense

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Chokes McGee posted:

the original version has their fingers replaced with the 10 foot chopsticks which makes it make more sense
Aha! Thank you! :tipshat:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

america stablises the world and is generally a force for good

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chokes McGee posted:

Jesus, that's not a parable, that's an elevator pitch for a horror movie.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

didnt know buddhists worship chaos gods that turn them into mutants for rewards

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

jarofpiss posted:

didnt know buddhists worship chaos gods that turn them into mutants for rewards

Excuse you, it's called "reincarnation."

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have always just been an uneducated leftist so in 2016 i was getting yelled at for refusing to vote for hillary but couldn’t really articulate why.

honestly i did not know that there was anything relevant past being more and more liberal. i really wish i had visited lf back in the day.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Who What Now posted:

Jesus, that's not a parable, that's an elevator pitch for a horror movie.

they must feed each other or their hunger grows

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad that nate silver segued from permanently ruining baseball discourse with his stat nerd bullshit to using his powers of pedantry for something that serves a purpose

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Nate Silver is "shook" and only doubting Abuela because of common-sense flaws with his model. The Harvard guy who gives her a 99% chance and promises to eat a bug if wrong is smarter

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jewel Repetition posted:

Nate Silver is "shook" and only doubting Abuela because of common-sense flaws with his model. The Harvard guy who gives her a 99% chance and promises to eat a bug if wrong is smarter

bugman was true to his word

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I still believe this btw