Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

christmas boots posted:

bugman was true to his word

also nate was just as wrong as all the others, he just loving weaseled out by pretending to be 'less certain'. He's not even the dude on 'the price is right' guessing 1 dollar too high -he's the dude who still guessed very wrong but hemmed and hawed about his answer, so he could say "I KNEW IT!" afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think "if we elect enough liberals we'll eventually get to gay space communism" was really my principal misunderstanding

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that liberals deserved anything more than the bullet

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
that NPR is not brain poison

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Coolness Averted posted:

also nate was just as wrong as all the others, he just loving weaseled out by pretending to be 'less certain'. He's not even the dude on 'the price is right' guessing 1 dollar too high -he's the dude who still guessed very wrong but hemmed and hawed about his answer, so he could say "I KNEW IT!" afterwards

When you're dealing with statistical probabilities the thing that is more likely to happen does not happen 100% of the time

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

that NPR is not brain poison

It wasn't a conscious decision but I effectively stopped listening to NPR right after the election when I used to be a religious listener. It's like a switch flipped and it became insufferable overnight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

whom amongst us

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TrixRabbi posted:

It wasn't a conscious decision but I effectively stopped listening to NPR right after the election when I used to be a religious listener. It's like a switch flipped and it became insufferable overnight.

It was indeed like that. But I also know nagging doubts had plagued me for years before.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

related to that: before 2016, i thought NPR was bland and inoffensive enough with their liberalism that i could listen to them with no real complaints. i still like the local NYC politics show but other than that, it's as sensationalist and airheaded as any other lib outlet

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

It was indeed like that. But I also know nagging doubts had plagued me for years before.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ikanreed posted:

same here, it just wasnt until afterwards that i realized it was dangerous and making people actively stupider

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jewel Repetition posted:

When you're dealing with statistical probabilities the thing that is more likely to happen does not happen 100% of the time
exactly, just saying "I'm 76% sure of <thing> happening (and no I won't show my work)" doesn't mean he's any less wrong or more right than the folks calling it at 98% or 99% or whatever. Since it could've just as easily been that 1-2% chance that happened. Especially since it's not like we're gonna reproduce 2016 to test the math
hell we could probably go into a huge derail about him being a hack but I think too many threads have done that already

ikanreed posted:

yeah it went from "I'm skipping a few really dumb shows like marketplace," to realizing almost all of it was garbage. Science Friday is at least still cool, and half of Fresh Air's interviews are interesting, even if incredibly focused on liberal sensibilities and tastes.
The thing I really noticed from 2014-2016 was how much everyone at NPR was huffing eachother's farts, when a topic or guest that wasn't related to some huge mainstream news event would be on the circuit of every show.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Coolness Averted posted:

Especially since it's not like we're gonna reproduce 2016 to test the math

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

The Democrats will finally realize that trying to scoop up "independent" conservatives is impossible after this and actually look to their base for a change

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Joe Biden is a great second choice after Hillary.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee posted:

Joe Biden is a great second choice after Hillary.

you think thats bad? i thought joe biden would be better than her, lmao

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I mean, maybe. maybe not. I still have no idea what her actual views on anything are, outside foreign policy where she loves any and all possible air campaigns.

all Biden's bombs have been him loudly saying his extremely dumb opinions. her entire campaign was avoiding saying hers. always great politics. people love to vote for TBD

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it was Her Turn. time for the Most Qualified Candidate to be coronated

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

sorry we’re going to need to remove your brain to figure out how you reversed the polishing

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

sorry we’re going to need to remove your brain to figure out how you reversed the polishing

lol, pretty much just the fact that i wasnt aware how lovely he was at the time, as a politician and human being. like everything he's said about crime has made "superpredators" feel relatively inoffensive.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah it went from "I'm skipping a few really dumb shows like marketplace," to realizing almost all of it was garbage. Science Friday is at least still cool, and half of Fresh Air's interviews are interesting, even if incredibly focused on liberal sensibilities and tastes.
The thing I really noticed from 2014-2016 was how much everyone at NPR was huffing eachother's farts, when a topic or guest that wasn't related to some huge mainstream news event would be on the circuit of every show.

This but The New Yorker as well.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the accelerationists are just doomsday-fetishising idiots

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

*time passes*

"What the—there's nothing in here!!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i certainly thought he had a better chance of winning, and i can still see him winning this one if he doesn't strike out again in the primary. we joke about libs wanting a return to normalcy but a lot of people actually do want that and don't want to feel like they have to sacrifice much

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Picture in your head how a debate between Donny and Joe would play out and then tell me Biden has a chance in hell of taking the presidency off of him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The three branches of government were cleverly set up by the founding fathers to prevent abuses of power

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

obama good

uncle joe ice cream sunglasses cool

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

smug jeebus posted:

Picture in your head how a debate between Donny and Joe would play out

:mmmhmm:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
america is obviously a failing empire but it will take decades of increasingly incompetent neoliberal rule before we start seeing a caligula or a nero show up to formally end the republic

simpler times :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

outrage is a finite resource

americans have the collective political memory of a gnat

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

it went from "I'm skipping a few really dumb shows like marketplace," to realizing almost all of it was garbage. Science Friday is at least still cool, and half of Fresh Air's interviews are interesting, even if incredibly focused on liberal sensibilities and tastes.

The only thing I listen to NPR for now is Bird Note because a show about whatever songbirds are out and about is the only thing on NPR that isn't overrun with Nice Polite Republicans now.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Unironically believed that Trump would not be allowed to win.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

hillary clinton wasn't irredeemably awful

the democrats in general weren't irredeemably awful

bill clinton wasn't a rapist (i have no excuse for ever believing this one)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It can't happen here

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Chokes McGee posted:

It can't happen here

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
That the good guys would eventually win.

And

Over Easy posted:

I will not live to see this system collapse

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If I have my historical revisionism correct, Caligula or Nero would actually be an improvement over the current situation?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tubgoat posted:

If I have my historical revisionism correct, Caligula or Nero would actually be an improvement over the current situation?

they're basically both horrible but for different reasons

caligula probably hosed a horse but nero had brain worms

so it's probably a push

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm willing to bet, life for life, that Caligula had hosed up way fewer people's lives than Mike Pence has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chokes McGee posted:

they're basically both horrible but for different reasons

caligula probably hosed a horse but nero had brain worms