Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

better things aren't possible

Better things ARE possible.

Also:

I will one day regret not having kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

We can materially make the world better for those around us, even if it's too late to stop the economic and ecological apocalypse we can still be kind to fellow humans. It's also not too late to turn on our oppressors, even if it just means their luxury bunkers' air vents are cemented over.

Another good example of things that are impossible to believe in the stark light of tyool 2019.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That the Obama presidency would actually leave a lasting mark on American politics.

Even now I still can't believe how quickly Obama's legacy went up in smoke.

Technically he left a lasting mark. His election is a clear marker for when "seething white racial grievance" started transitioning into "open white nationalism" on the right. He was the straw that broke the camels back, thats an accomplishment, right?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

Obama's legacy will forever be that he twice stopped Hillary from being President, first by out campaigning her and then by salting the earth with terrible neoliberal governance.

Hey! Thats unfair! Actively stopping someone from doing something would require some kind of action, which would use up that sweet political capital that Obama had to hoard for his entire presidency. Since he kept it all, he can go on an infinite vacation at Billionaire Whore Island.

Give Hillary credit, she failed all on her own. In '08, by hiring people that didn't know how the primary system actually worked, and in '16, by hiring people who didn't know how the electoral college worked. Many of these people were the same people!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

This isn't quite on topic but immediately after 2016 I remember being so happy because I thought all the millionaire liberals would finally pull their heads out of their asses and we'd see some traction on scaling back the limitless power of the executive branch.

fuckin lol

look how loving stupid I was

To be unnecessarily fair to the millionaire libs, making any actual movement on this would require getting Cocaine Mitch to sign off, which, lol.

They probably wouldn't do anything anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

weirdly, texas was the only state where any shred of electoral good news came for democrats in 2016. it went Trump but not as much as other states, and state-level Dems actually gained seats in the lower house. they chipped at the majority even further last year. this is in spite of the fact that the state party is still a dysfunctional mess

oddly enough, i actually have an ounce of faith in Texas. not Georgia though, they're hosed. squidbillies is an accurate depiction of that state

Yeah Texas actually had a bunch of the semi-mythical "Romney->Clinton" voters, its just that losing by 9 points instead of 18 is functionally worthless.

I think California is one of the other places those voters actually existed, which, well, lol.