Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 4: "We're off to do a side quest!"

I'm probably going to end up calling the horse "Horse" for the entire game.

Also I checked over my footage and apparently I don't find anything in the huts during the Devil by the Well contract because I'd already been through and looted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Well, IMHO Horse is a better name than what he calls them in canon.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

You can definitely have multiples of the same Gwent card. The Blue Stripes commando card you passed over gets bonuses for being played next to other cards with the same name.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 5: "What a stupid peasant"

No, video game, I'm not going to feel bad for the person who had every opportunity to not be stupid. The person whom you previously showed saying something stupid and then being immediately encouraged to walk it back. This is not a moral choice that I feel bad about in any way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I wouldn't feel bad about that either. Oh, and I vote you wear the gaudiest most ridiculous outfit possible. Whichever one looks that way to you.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

The outfits on the left and right are dull. It's not the best choice, it's center choice.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 6: "No contest, no debate"

In case you were hoping I would ask for input on romance options, I hate to disappoint.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
"This is such a... running hot and cold dialogue"

Hi meet Yennefer

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, Yennefer’s attitude is why I like Triss better. They’re both hot, but I know who I would get along with better both in the game and IRL. If I knew girls like them IRL, that is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yennefer's attitude is why I like her more than Triss (having read the books definitely helps with this, though).

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I will probably forget to ask on camera so before I forget, could someone tell me if I need a certain ability or something to riposte? It never seems to work the way it did in the tutorial with Vesemir.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
I have Opinions on Triss, that make me pick Yen (aside from having read the books) but it's probably best if keep them until certain ingame events. Or possibly the very end of the LP.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yen is just like Geralt: Cares way more than they even admit to themselves, acts tough because that is expected of them.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

CirclMastr posted:

I will probably forget to ask on camera so before I forget, could someone tell me if I need a certain ability or something to riposte? It never seems to work the way it did in the tutorial with Vesemir.

Against humans with one-handed weapons, it should work just like in the tutorial. Hit the block button when their HP bar flashes red and you'll open them up for a counterattack. I always press and hold, rather than tap, dunno if that makes a difference. Against monsters, you're meant to dodge all the time rather than block or parry. (There are rare exceptions to this IIRC, but they're hard to pull off)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah. The vague idea is that a human can be attacked with a well executed counter, if you press force against it. On the other hand most monsters hit like an incoming truck. Neckers are just to small and finicky to counter well.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

On a related note, gently caress nekkers, I hate them. They trigger some "trash enemy, spam attack and win" reflex in my brain and like half the time I just get swarmed and killed before I remember that oh yeah, I should dodge and use magic and poo poo.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 7: "That seemed unnecessarily dramatic"

While I am admittedly curious about whether I can follow up with both leads the game has given me or just one, I do want to clear at least some of the many sidequests I've already collected.

And I guess in reference to the mention of a timer at the end of the video, I might as well explain what the workflow is for these videos currently, in case anyone else wants to borrow or critique it. When I get into the game for a recording session, I start a one-hour timer just before I do my introduction (which I hope isn't too annoying for being something I repeat every video). When I hit a good break point just before or after the timer runs out, I end the video, save, stop recording, etc. This gives me about an hour of footage, which I then ruthlessly edit as best I can, aiming to get an episode no longer than 30 minutes. I find it a good way to force myself to be choosy in what content stays in the video; even though it's an open-world game, that doesn't mean everyone wants to watch me gently caress around looking at every little thing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The “boss man” of the Wild Hunt has gone by many names, depending on the legend. Jim Butcher calls him the Erl King. Celtic myths call him Herne or Cerrunos, Welsh Gwyn ap Nudd. Germanic myths equate him with the Norse God Odin, and Christian stories with the Angel Gabriel or Satan, depending on whom the Hunt pursues. Various historical kings have also been put in the role, all back from the dead of course. In Marvel Comics villains such as Malekith the Accursed have led the Hunt. Of all the various stories, ancient and modern, the Witcher version is probably the most intimidating I’ve seen.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

To quote my own damned self:
Unlike Witcher 2, rolling around is no longer the basis for most your combat maneuvers. Not only are you no longer invulnerable during rolls (unless you take a specific skill), but rolls use up precious stamina. You want to sidestep to dodge most attacks, only rolling away when a large monster charges / an AOE attack is heading your way.

On the other hand, just *like* the Witcher 2, you generally don’t want to be fighting a bunch of guys at the same time. You do a lot more damage when hitting someone from behind, and enemies do a lot more damage when they hit you from behind. Maneuver, use signs, bombs, and sidestep to separate enemies from the pack and take them down.

If you keep button mashing, most enemies will eventually parry your attacks and counter-attack to great effect. The general rhythm of combat is something like: 2-3 sword strikes, sidestep / riposte enemy attack, another 2-3 strikes, use a sign / bomb / roll as needed, attack at the most vulnerable target.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Generally, if there's a group of enemies in front of you, use Igni. You probably won't get all of them, but it's decent AOE.
If, as happened to you, you're left with a guy with a shield, well... there are only 2 signs you didn't try on him, so use one of them.

In fairness, on my first playthrough I couldn't get into melee combat at all. I was hopeless. So I went with a sign build, which worked absurdly well.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 8: "Yeah, let's do mind control"

I think traveling around with all the location markers turned off might be a mistake. I keep wandering into places I'm not supposed to be. Expect more of a focus on clearing sidequests instead of picking them up at random in the next video (or three).

Xander77 posted:

To quote my own damned self:
Unlike Witcher 2, rolling around is no longer the basis for most your combat maneuvers. Not only are you no longer invulnerable during rolls (unless you take a specific skill), but rolls use up precious stamina. You want to sidestep to dodge most attacks, only rolling away when a large monster charges / an AOE attack is heading your way.

On the bright side, I do get a chance to put this into practice until my fingers learn which button is which.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Hey i watched like all these videos over the last week or two on night shift and enjoyed it a lot, cheers dude, good luck getting through 3.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If you head straight into the high level areas, you'll keep running into high level enemies. Which might be interesting.

The game assumes you will thoroughly explore the Velen Peasant Misery Simulator before heading into the big cities, so that there's more of a contrast (and you're higher level).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In fairness, there are also plenty of high-level encounters spread among the low-level stuff.
Some of it can be done with skill (or brute force), but running into a level 20 Griffin when you're level 5 is a dick move.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 9: "...."

It occurs to me that this is the first time meeting Squirrels in this game, and I would have no idea what their deal is if it weren't for playing the previous games. Therefore I'm obviously justified in having put myself through those games!

I should also point out that I officially have a backlog of episodes. Not because I'm forcing myself to finish like the last two games, but just because I don't want to wait until I publish an episode before playing some more. So yeah, in case there was any doubt, I am having fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:toot:!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad to hear you’re having a good time.

Edited- "Our monster collects military paraphrenalia". A very worrisome phrase.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 28, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

achtungnight posted:

"Our monster collects military paraphrenalia"
What I want to know is what an American is doing in The Continent.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 10: "Item store person"

For what feels like the first time in this series, I come across a moral question without an immediately obvious answer. I enjoy it! I'm enjoying this game!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Witcher 3 is a good game? Who'd have thought?

Looking back on it, I think not playing the first two games actually improves the third one. Back when I played it I was really lenient with plot developments and world building, because I just figured that this stuff was just explained in the other games and I was personally ignorant about that stuff. But by now I realize that a lot of stuff is just plain unexplained, or only mentioned in the books. It was a bit weird finding out that someone who actually played both previous games would know as much about Yennefer as I did. Also Triss was as much as a blank slate, which feels a bit more even.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 11: "That's cheating!"

I think it was after recording this episode that I broke down and ordered a new keyboard.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Looking back on it, I think not playing the first two games actually improves the third one. Back when I played it I was really lenient with plot developments and world building, because I just figured that this stuff was just explained in the other games and I was personally ignorant about that stuff. But by now I realize that a lot of stuff is just plain unexplained, or only mentioned in the books. It was a bit weird finding out that someone who actually played both previous games would know as much about Yennefer as I did. Also Triss was as much as a blank slate, which feels a bit more even.

The more I play, the more I agree with this sentiment. Hell, I went through a good chunk of the early game with this guarded opinion of "Yeah I'm enjoying it, but maybe only because it's new, or maybe only because it's less bad than the others but not standing alone." I was actively avoiding emotionally investing in the experience because the previous games inevitably betrayed my investment.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This video also shows what I was talking about. I had no clue who Keira Metz was. But well, neither did you.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 12: "I have no regerts"

I actually have many regerts, it's a real problem with my self-esteem. But anyway, this video is kind of a low point so far, but it's still not as bad as previous games. Compare this dungeon to the 'mine' dungeon area in Witcher 2 chapter 2, except you can't because I edited out all the time I spent lost in that mine. poo poo. Well, my point is, even though I didn't really enjoy this dungeon, it's still objectively better than previous dungeons in previous games.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You managed to avoid the issue many people have with this dungeon - even if you're thoroughly prepared when you go in and have repaired all your gear beforehand, it's still highly likely your swords will lose so much durability that they're doing 50% or less damage by the end. Playing on the highest difficulty, I once ended up using console commands to give myself a couple of extra Weapon Repair kits because my sword had gone from 100% to lower than 50% even after using a couple of kits.

:downsgun:

The pacing is remarkably bad given how strong the rest of the early game is.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
That's why I got the 'no item degradation' mod and never looked back.

Also the mod that shows all quest marks, that's a godsend.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 13: "That's, uh... not normal"

This little side-trip as Ciri, much like the side-trip as Henselt in Witcher 2, is both short and satisfying. I have a feeling Witcher 3 won't sabotage Ciri's character at the end, though.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 14: "So am I allowed to steal this?"

I finally found a profitable side activity! :homebrew:

It's not repeatable. :negative:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 15: "Let's do the Gwent"

A lot of this recording session turned out to be Gwent games. There is more than that, so it's not like you shouldn't watch this or anything. But hey, you can look forward to the 30-hour supercut of every Gwent game I play!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who is Gwent, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

PMush Perfect posted:

Who is Gwent, again?
lol at this loser who got three games in without knoiwing who gwent is, which we all know