Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Geralt has a very agile and graceful jogging style.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"A sex scene...in the tutorial?!"

You weren't kidding when you said you barely know anything about the series. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 7, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Take a look at the "before I play" wiki to get at least a bit of a grasp on some stuff.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The book you picked up was anti-Witcher propoganda. In their society, witchers face discrimination and are treated as inhuman mutants.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Take a look at the "before I play" wiki to get at least a bit of a grasp on some stuff.

I recorded some episodes in advance of making the thread, over concerns about schedule slip due to my chronic migraines. So it'll be a little while before I can put any of that into practice.

(And frankly some of what it had were basically spoilers, so I'm not entirely happy about having read it at all.)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 2: "Every inventory item is sacred"

Wait, the tutorial is over already? But there's still so much I don't understand! Like why this series is applauded for its writing when it has that Alfred Nabel story in it!

Honestly, nowadays whenever people laud the series for its writing, I think they're mostly referring to 2 and 3. I agree with you that the dialogue in 1 comes off odd and kinda disjointed, for the reasons you mentioned in the video. And some of the lines are also just... weird. It seems to me like the voice actors had very little direction when recording.

I feel like a big part of the reason why this game's storytelling made such huge waves back then was that this kind of gritty, "mature" style* of fantasy wasn't really a thing in RPGs at the time. It was like a breath of fresh air, except the "fresh air" in fact stank of blood, sweat, poo poo and piss.

*: I bolded the quotation marks for a reason. I think in the later games the word mature can actually be applied unironically a lot of the time.

EDIT: Also, the thing Triss taught you that you were confused about : It was an alchemy formula for the Cat potion. It's pretty easy to miss in the mess of other popups that whizz by after the dialogue.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 7, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What does the cat formula do? Conjure cats? Give you extra lives? Instead of sex scenes it makes Geralt back out of the room on all fours meowing? :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Poil posted:

What does the cat formula do? Conjure cats? Give you extra lives? Instead of sex scenes it makes Geralt back out of the room on all fours meowing? :v:
I wish it was that last one, but actually it just makes you see better in the dark. Very useful in some areas.

edit: Do I need to spoilertag this if we've already got the formula? Well, whatever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nordick posted:

Honestly, nowadays whenever people laud the series for its writing, I think they're mostly referring to 2 and 3. I agree with you that the dialogue in 1 comes off odd and kinda disjointed, for the reasons you mentioned in the video. And some of the lines are also just... weird. It seems to me like the voice actors had very little direction when recording.

I feel like a big part of the reason why this game's storytelling made such huge waves back then was that this kind of gritty, "mature" style* of fantasy wasn't really a thing in RPGs at the time. It was like a breath of fresh air, except the "fresh air" in fact stank of blood, sweat, poo poo and piss.

*: I bolded the quotation marks for a reason. I think in the later games the word mature can actually be applied unironically a lot of the time.

EDIT: Also, the thing Triss taught you that you were confused about : It was an alchemy formula for the Cat potion. It's pretty easy to miss in the mess of other popups that whizz by after the dialogue.

What is this crap

Shove off

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

steinrokkan posted:

What is this crap

Shove off

but but but the lords!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 3: "Also, who are you?"

It's the first episode of Chapter 1, and that means collecting quest objectives. And talking to NPCs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You should try out the boxing next time. It's totally fun. Was for me, anyhow.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Christ, this looks and sounds terrible. Are the dialogue lines randomized? None of this makes any sense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Darkest Auer posted:

Christ, this looks and sounds terrible. Are the dialogue lines randomized? None of this makes any sense.
Note that we're watching an LP of the Enhanced version, where someone went over the dialogue to make sure the lines at least make sense on their own, even if they don't really connect to each other. The original version was... worse.

To choose an example we've seen already, Vesimir went "Triss, babe..." instead of "Triss, child...". Not even talking about the lack of lip-sync (or any mouth-flapping).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also far as I remember, Geralt has a bunch of stock lines for short phrases that get reused, and sometimes the tone is pretty out of whack with the rest of the given conversation.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
While playing the game I got into a habit of looking slightly past the screen while dialogue was going on. I could still see who was talking but did not see the anemic animation or lack of it. I'm not kidding that it improved the experience for me. That habit was hard to shake come the next game. (I still like this game, mind you, but dialogue is really jarring.)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know so far this is feeling like a fantasy version of Mass Effect and I feel the only really big difference is that there is actual nudity (in the uncensored version) in this game compared to Mass Effect fading to black.

Also much like Mass Effect the first game in the trilogy has aged not as well as the second and third entries (though I guess The Witcher 3 was waaaaaaaaay better received than ME3 so that's a plus) both from a gameplay standpoint and an acting standpoint

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 4: "But unfortunately my hopes have been shattered"

Dice poker is the worst and I hate it, but it's also apparently the only steady money in the game. I guess I'll have to scum it out off-camera.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 4: "But unfortunately my hopes have been shattered"

Dice poker is the worst and I hate it, but it's also apparently the only steady money in the game. I guess I'll have to scum it out off-camera.
NPCs automatically ending conversations (and then going through a long animation cycle before they are ready to talk to you again) are a plague on this game.

You REALLY don't need to grind for money in general, much less abuse dice poker.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's plenty of opportunities to get bestiary entries for free, either from skills, looting the book from somewhere or gaining them by talking to npc's.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 5: "Well that was the inside of his head"

I finally start doing some of the many quests I've accumulated. But not nearly as many as I'd hoped.

I'm starting to think this LP is going to take a long time.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
is this all solo commentary?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CirclMastr posted:

I'm starting to think this LP is going to take a long time.
A long and miserable time, the way it's going so far.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

is this all solo commentary?

Unless and until I get a decent internet connection again, yes. I'm currently not even able to do voice chat reliably.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think it's important that people remember that the dialogue sounds awkward in this game because the english dialogue is essentially a dub. It's a polish game, the dialogue was originally written in Polish, and the lip syncing is to the Polish. The English translation is pretty mediocre - I don't think it was translated by native english speakers - and that's why the dialogue is so awkward. I also don't think they used professional voice actors; or if they did they aren't native english speakers. From what I've read the dialogue in the english dub was also truncated substantially to save money.

The difference in quality and voice acting is very noticable if you switch to polish with english subtitles.

I haven't got around to playing the Witcher 3 yet but even in 2; the quality of the english dub is far better - it really shows how far CDPR has come as a company.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I'm finding the annoyed LPer here to be strangely amusing.

"You can stop slow-motioning!"

And I admit that I'm now basically rooting for a bunch of barghests to randomly spawn every three steps the hero takes. I can only imagine what new depths of pain the future will bring.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's pretty entertaining. He sounds like he's already lost the will to live, and yet he's only a short way into the prologue.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm just always shocked by the interface. I know The Witcher, I've played it, but I don't remember the inventory and skill screens being so overdone. The mind forgets, to protect itself.

Also I always forgot how jiggly the amulet got in the corner of the screen.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

It's pretty entertaining. He sounds like he's already lost the will to live, and yet he's only a short way into the prologue.

The quality of my voice has definitely been affected by my chronic migraines. On the other hand, the first bit of feedback I got about my first ever LP was "You sound depressed" so maybe it's just me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

The quality of my voice has definitely been affected by my chronic migraines. On the other hand, the first bit of feedback I got about my first ever LP was "You sound depressed" so maybe it's just me.

Well I hope you’re enjoying the game at least.

I notice you seem to have overlooked some of the controls that were taught in the tutorial; so I thought I’d remind you:

You can double tap the WASD keys to somersault over enemies to reposition yourself. This becomes useful when you have to fight larger groups.

Also; you can use the aard sign in combat to knock enemies away from you while you focus on one; or to stun an enemy so you can do a 1 hit kill.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is the second version of the dub/translation as well. The initial release was even worse in English.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

This is the second version of the dub/translation as well. The initial release was even worse in English.

And it was still one of the best pc-rpgs in years at the time. There had been a bit of a drought.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
You'll want to hold on to a single barghest skull, just toss it in your bank somewhere.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 6: "It's all a scam"

Dice poker is a scam, revisiting the witch over and over is a scam, buying books in order to do quests is a scam. But I'm still making forward progress, so take that!

Asehujiko posted:

You'll want to hold on to a single barghest skull, just toss it in your bank somewhere.

I'm not at all worried about running out of barghest skulls.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Barghests do become rare later in the game. And yes, a lot of things in life are scams. The good ones sometimes become video games.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You could have slept it off at Odo's house, rather than stagger around drunk you know.

Also: If you made yourself a cat potion to drink; we wouldn't have to stare at a near black screen when you wander around at night (don't think this is a spoiler, you should be aware of potions by this point in the game and Tris explicitly gave you the recipe in the prologue.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 7: "I have no idea what that means"

Apologies in advance for how much of this episode takes place at night.

The Lord Bude posted:

If you made yourself a cat potion to drink; we wouldn't have to stare at a near black screen when you wander around at night

This is an issue with Sony Vegas that I haven't been able to solve yet. Everything looks fine until the video renders and then it's suddenly too dark to see.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fisstech is basically witcher-verse Cocaine

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

CirclMastr posted:

This is an issue with Sony Vegas that I haven't been able to solve yet. Everything looks fine until the video renders and then it's suddenly too dark to see.
Vegas is kind of weird in its handling of RGB levels, so your final video is often either too bright or too dark depending on the source. To fix a video that is too dark, you can go to Event FX -> Levels -> Computer RGB to Studio RGB to set your levels to limited range RGB. This might make it look too bright in the preview, but the final video should be fine. Conversely, if your final video is too bright despite looking fine in the preview, pick the opposite (Studio to Computer RGB) to get the intended full range RGB image.

edit: Actually, now that I think of it I'm starting to doubt myself. That is definitely how I've fixed videos I've rendered using a frameserver, but surely rendering in Vegas itself should work alright? In any event, that absolutely sounds like an RGB levels issue.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Doc M posted:

Event FX -> Levels -> Computer RGB to Studio RGB

This seems to do the trick, thanks. I've been re-rendering videos all day and should be able to get them uploaded overnight.