Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, it's time for a thread. I'm not going to pretend that I'm super-jazzed for E3 this year, since the disaster aspect of the show has faded into the background like the left-most symbol on a video game brightness settings screen. The video game industry is not super jazzed either, because Sony is not there in any capacity, and EA is not even wasting our time with a press conference (which is probably fine because theirs has always been awful). There are still a lot of events, but the "hype" could not possibly be any lower for what is supposed to be videogame christmas (except there's nothing under the tree).

Part of that is because new consoles are in development, and so there are fewer AAA games in development right now, part of that is because there are not many "marquee" titles expected this year. Which is not to say I won't watch, I'm going to watch, I just don't really know what to expect at this point. EA's livestream primarily features Madden, FIFA, and games that have already been released. It's possible even the publishers are just doing E3 purely out of obligation. (gotta have some reason to crunch outside of the holidays!!)

but gently caress it. let's do this

GAMES AT THE SHOW:

Death Stranding - Kojima's new game finally showed gameplay and it looks like MGS5 but without the miles of backstory and conspiracies to write a bad story around
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA's last ditch effort at giving a poo poo about Star Wars, this one comes from the Titanfall developer, and it's also basically the only thing they're parading around this month
Borderlands 3 - The biggest magic trick Randy Pitchford employed so far was making Borderlands 3 disappear from the Epic Store's first sale. It looks like Gearbox is going to 'squirt' out a final DLC for Borderlands 2 as well
Animal Crossing - The only important game at E3 this year
Pokemon Sword & Shield - I haven't beaten a single one of these
Mario Maker 2 - Make and play Mario stages with your friends strangers-only, beacuse Nintendo still doesn't understand online games
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This one has war school and looks like it'll be the Valkyria Chronicles 2 of the FE series, imo
Control (Remedy) - Looks like it will be more of an actual game than Quantum Break
Shenmue III - You're not just talking about ANY sailors are you
Astral Chain - Platinum's cop game, it's very cops and very anime
Marvel Avengers game (Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal) - All we know about it is it's got 4 player co-op and is GAAS
Babylon's Fall (Platinum) - this was supposed to be Platinum's soulsy game, not sure if it still exists??
Daemon X Machina - Mech game on Switch, some of the hype disappeared after an underwhelming demo
Baldur's Gate 3 apparently?? - I guess Larian is doing it
In the Valley of Gods - a "Valve" game (except not really) by campo santo of Firewatch
Luigi's Mansion 3 - the ghost dog from dark moon that steals poo poo can gently caress off
Ori & the Will of the Wisps - first game was really good, probably will get a release date at Microsoft's event
Psychonauts 2 - doublefine's been very careful this time not to gently caress up massively on this one, but they still have plenty of time to run out of money
Shantae 5 - wayforward are horny as poo poo
Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake - it looks cute
The Surge 2 - this dev made a big leap from lords of the fallen to the surge, so the surge 2 might actually be a good one if it's a similar leap
Trine 4
Anthem haha just kidding it's dead
Halo Infinite - I would put a lot of money on this being Microsoft's answer to Destiny, the 'infinite' in the title just screams "games as a service" at the top of its lungs
The Outer Worlds - not to be confused with The Outer Wilds which is apparently very good, this is Obsidian doing Not-Fallout, so it could be okay but Obsidian is as up and down as they come

Games that COULD show up:
Stormdivers - Housemarque's battle royale game that will be DOA and likely kill the company oops. would probably show up at PC Gaming Show
Town - Game Freak's incredibly-titled non-Pokemon game for Switch
Twin Mirror - Dontnod's next adventure series after Life is Strange 2
Wasteland 3 - Did people even like Wasteland 2
Untitled Goose Game - you are a goose
Session - A skateboarding game that everyone thought was going to be Skate when it was shown off at an event last year, and that's mostly what people remember is that it wasn't Skate
Oninaki - Tokyo RPG Factory's latest disappointment
Battletoads - Assuming this isn't vaporware it might show up at Microsoft's event
Detective Pikachu 2 - Was announced last week, may be too early to be shown at Nintendo's event
Freedom Planet 2 - Sequel to the Genesis-style furry platformer that everyone enjoyed while simultaneously skipping any and all cutscenes. Would show up at the PC Gaming Show
The Evil Within 3 - Shinji Mikami tweeted that he'll be going to E3 on business, and Bethesda really doesn't have a lot known about their reveals, so this seems very likely, even though the first two games did not sell super well

(i'm sure someone will post that time grid on the first page, I'm too lazy)

Pokemon Direct: Wednesday, June 5th - 9 AM ET - If you actually have normal waking hours then you'll get a chance to see more details about Game Freak's latest unoptimized engine and a bunch of new pokemon you'll catch but never actually use
Google Stadia: Thursday, June 6 - 12:00 PM ET - The streaming service is supposed to have a couple of exclusive games but my guess is they'll be timed
Destiny 2 DLC Announcement: Thursday, June 6 - 1PM ET - It looks like Destiny 3 is still a year away, so they're putting out another expansion to their golden goose, which is maybe a decent proposition, because D2 was really awful at launch so D3 certainly would suck at launch too. may as well ride D2 into the toilet.
Microsoft: Sunday, June 9 - 4:00 PM ET. - A lot of stuff expected from this one, possibly the next Xbox reveal, talk about cloud streaming, 14 first-party game announcements expected, and probably one of them is the Cuphead DLC. but it's still xbox exclusives so like.... remember that gears funkopop game?
Bethesda: Sunday, June 9 - 8:30 PM ET. - No Starfield or Elder Scrolls at this one, which leaves Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein Youngblood, and their GAAS (ESO, FO76, Quake Champions), and that's it? Will this be a short one then?
Devolver Digital: Sunday, June 9 - 10:00 PM ET. - The first year of devolver was pretty sick, and had random lucha wrestling. the second year felt like a retread. dunno what they'll do this time, but they always have some dope games
PC Gaming Show: Monday, June 10 - 1:00 PM ET. - It's sponsored by Epic, so there's going to be a lot of Epic Store exclusives announced here
Ubisoft: Monday, June 10 - 4:00 PM ET. - there's Watch Dogs 3 in London, probably some Assassins Creed Odyssey DLC, maybe another Nintendo collab, and that ship combat game that still isn't out??
Square Enix: Monday, June 10 - 9:00 PM ET. - FF7 remake! is barrett black or tan?? is the dress blue or gold??
Nintendo: Tuesday, June 11 - 12:00 PM ET. - Everyone's watching this one for Animal Crossing.. it'll probably be identical to New Leaf but in HD

You watch it on Twitch, we know this already, you know this already. someone will post links. gently caress

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Looking forward to the bingos this time around :hehe:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Looking forward to another year of buying like six total video games.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A bunch of those games might be Good. We shall see.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Why is Sony not showing up, and why is EA not doing a press conference? Sounds really weird to me. Did they give some pseudo explanations at least?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ritznit posted:

Why is Sony not showing up, and why is EA not doing a press conference? Sounds really weird to me. Did they give some pseudo explanations at least?

Various companies have been moving to their own conferences, still held in the same general area and in the same general time, though they often vie to be first before E3 just to have the loudest voice on X day.

There are probably a bunch of reasons for doing this but with the continual decline of E3 being a spectator sport and moving more and more into staid, dry press conferences they probably stopped seeing the point of paying the ESA dues for E3 instead of just renting their own one of LA's many conference halls.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm also going to guess, at least on the Sony front, they don't have much to show. The last big name games coming out for the PS4 are TLoU 2 and Death Stranding and neither of those needs E3 to hype them. Horizon 2, God of War 4: 2: 5, and every other big time exclusive is going to be on the PS5 and they aren't ready to talk about that yet.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How have you not mentioned Brigador 2 is going to be at e3, that's like the most important game, cmon.

Orv
May 4, 2011

1stGear posted:

I'm also going to guess, at least on the Sony front, they don't have much to show. The last big name games coming out for the PS4 are TLoU 2 and Death Stranding and neither of those needs E3 to hype them. Horizon 2, God of War 4: 2: 5, and every other big time exclusive is going to be on the PS5 and they aren't ready to talk about that yet.

It's still a little surprising to me because all of the big 3 have had previous years where they had conferences with jack all to show but maybe they are capable of eventually (in epochal terms) learning.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Cuntellectual posted:

How have you not mentioned Brigador 2 is going to be at e3, that's like the most important game, cmon.

Are they actually making another one or are you joshing me, son? This is no subject matter to joke about!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ritznit posted:

Are they actually making another one or are you joshing me, son? This is no subject matter to joke about!

Brigador Killers.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Nintendo gonna spend 30 minutes talking about every single mechanic in Fire Emblem.

And then 3 minutes about Animal Crossing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is always one of my favorite threads of the year.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Last year's E3 was a mixed bag of random crap where I think the most interesting thing announced was the TES: Skyrim Alexa edition. The rest was fairly underwhelming.

This year it doesn't look like there's a single title I'm interested in and no anticipation of new announcements. Somehow, the most interesting thing in the lineup so far is the Microsoft conference and that's only because I want to hear more about their recent decision to bring over more games from Xbox and their new distribution plans (and the vain hope that maybe they'll say something about Age of Empires 4).

... think I'm getting too old for this poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right Microsoft bought all of the studios that have ever existed this last ten months.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1134216118086750214

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
believe it or not, its E3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft does the WE LOVE PC GAMING song and dance every few years, but this time they've actually impressed me with their Game Pass / Halo / Gears of War 5 stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For Xbox Im expecting Age of Empires 4 to be a day and date launch on gamepass and yall will act like thats really cool and important but 90% of gamepass pc subscribers will just use it for access to whatever Bethesda shits out onto it.

Ubisoft to reveal a streaming service and their attempt to cash in on <spins wheel> rocket league. Nothing will look interesting but someone is buying 800 copies of the division so this show repeats every year.

Devolver to do another "wacky" show to declining results but show off some fun looking games but the nagging question of "why the gently caress do you have this show?" will linger

EA will show off its star wars project, not to you, but directly to the head of disney. It will ultimately be poo poo, but it wont matter to Disney because thats apparently their vision for the franchise after buying it.

Nintendo will show games you already knew with mechanics basically identical to past efforts but since you are nostalgic for these franchises they will be the "winner of the show" regardless of the product quality.

Square Enix will show off the exact same alpha footage of their avengers game that leaked like 5 years ago and act incredulous when someone points oit theyve not done a single minute of work on it that entire time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
EA is in fact doing a public stream of the Jedi game in the next/few days here though I assume it will be predictably non-revelatory.

Also boy why are you even still in video games at that point.

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
Cyberpunk is probably getting a release date at Xbox

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Randy Pitchford will get arrested on stage for doing a crime

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm looking forward to whatever Ninja Theory and Obsidian might be announcing at the MS show and possibly Deck Nine's new game for Square-Enix. It's also been rumored that AC Odyssey might get one more large-ish expansion so I'd be down for that even though that game is already 500 hours long.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i expect this to be a relatively lower-frequency post thread from past years so i might post cool trailers from games that look neat when they pop up on youtube. usually e3 trailers for smaller games start going up the week before, so just a couple of days from now basically

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Advent Rising 2, WOOOOOOO!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aren't we supposed to be getting a Rocksteady announcement this year?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm looking forward to whatever Nintendo show (particularly hoping for a Link's Awakening release date), Dying Light 2, and cringe moments with INFLUENCERS as they pretend to play pre-recorded demo footage with disconnected controllers.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Steve2911 posted:

Who knows? They've been working on something for years, I want to say it was some GaaS Suicide Squad game based on the rumors.

As for other stuff not mentioned yet: there was a Ubisoft game that leaked a bunch of marketing material last week or something that was so forgettable I can't even remember the name of it, so look forward to that! It was a roller derby game from the looks of it, with a Fortnite ascetic. Also that GRRM x FromSoft collab that sounded like horseshit when the rumor circulated a few months ago that people think is a thing now, based on a blog post he made? I dunno man.

I wonder if Capcom brings anything, they've been knocking it out of the park lately. It'd be nice to see a release date for Cyberpunk 2077 but I doubt that's happening.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Randy Pitchford will get arrested on stage for doing a crime

Well yeah, the real game is in figuring out which one. Taking all bets.

Steve2911 posted:

We've always been at war with a Rocksteady announcement.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
E3 is going to be dull as gently caress this year and Devolver will be the only remotely interesting presentation

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure what to expect. Most of the "big games" that people seem to tout as "big announcements" are boring lowest common denominator shooty shite that puts me to sleep, so maybe a game with less of those will have more weird poo poo I like? Or maybe just less poo poo period?

Nintendo's only got two games announced for the second half of the year so hopefully they have some surprises up their sleeve

Microsoft is either going to make people suddenly regret not buying Xbox One at the proverbial last second by debuting a bunch of interesting looking titles right as the gen switches over or have the most robust launch lineup since the Dreamcast for whatever the NeXtbox is. Either way, their show will be the one with all the good third party announcements, so I'm hoping they don't waste too much time talking about Gears Funkopops or how great streaming on their new machine will be if you happen to have impractically good internet or whatever

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I just want to know more about Die-Hardman

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hope there's finally some AOE4 stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Square's supposed to say something about FFVII, so I'm sure there's a trainwreck there waiting to happen.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Ace Combat Infinity II plz

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

actually gently caress negativity, this is the second "Collection of Mana" trademark that Square has done.

https://twitter.com/Kayane/status/1134546192916975616

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh i did forget one major game. Halo Infinite. is it a battle royale, is it a Destiny knockoff (this seems most likely), is it a funkopop game

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

The 7th Guest posted:

oh i did forget one major game. Halo Infinite. is it a battle royale, is it a Destiny knockoff (this seems most likely), is it a funkopop game

WHY NOT ALL THREE? :airhorn:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

games are the most important thing in my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-XcWCDfmE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Phantasium posted:

actually gently caress negativity, this is the second "Collection of Mana" trademark that Square has done.

https://twitter.com/Kayane/status/1134546192916975616

this and the 30 seconds of animal crossing are going to be the highlights of E3