Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, it's time for a thread. I'm not going to pretend that I'm super-jazzed for E3 this year, since the disaster aspect of the show has faded into the background like the left-most symbol on a video game brightness settings screen. The video game industry is not super jazzed either, because Sony is not there in any capacity, and EA is not even wasting our time with a press conference (which is probably fine because theirs has always been awful). There are still a lot of events, but the "hype" could not possibly be any lower for what is supposed to be videogame christmas (except there's nothing under the tree).

Part of that is because new consoles are in development, and so there are fewer AAA games in development right now, part of that is because there are not many "marquee" titles expected this year. Which is not to say I won't watch, I'm going to watch, I just don't really know what to expect at this point. EA's livestream primarily features Madden, FIFA, and games that have already been released. It's possible even the publishers are just doing E3 purely out of obligation. (gotta have some reason to crunch outside of the holidays!!)

but gently caress it. let's do this

GAMES AT THE SHOW:

Death Stranding - Kojima's new game finally showed gameplay and it looks like MGS5 but without the miles of backstory and conspiracies to write a bad story around
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA's last ditch effort at giving a poo poo about Star Wars, this one comes from the Titanfall developer, and it's also basically the only thing they're parading around this month
Borderlands 3 - The biggest magic trick Randy Pitchford employed so far was making Borderlands 3 disappear from the Epic Store's first sale. It looks like Gearbox is going to 'squirt' out a final DLC for Borderlands 2 as well
Animal Crossing - The only important game at E3 this year
Pokemon Sword & Shield - I haven't beaten a single one of these
Mario Maker 2 - Make and play Mario stages with your friends strangers-only, beacuse Nintendo still doesn't understand online games
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This one has war school and looks like it'll be the Valkyria Chronicles 2 of the FE series, imo
Control (Remedy) - Looks like it will be more of an actual game than Quantum Break
Shenmue III - You're not just talking about ANY sailors are you
Astral Chain - Platinum's cop game, it's very cops and very anime
Marvel Avengers game (Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal) - All we know about it is it's got 4 player co-op and is GAAS
Babylon's Fall (Platinum) - this was supposed to be Platinum's soulsy game, not sure if it still exists??
Daemon X Machina - Mech game on Switch, some of the hype disappeared after an underwhelming demo
Baldur's Gate 3 apparently?? - I guess Larian is doing it
In the Valley of Gods - a "Valve" game (except not really) by campo santo of Firewatch
Luigi's Mansion 3 - the ghost dog from dark moon that steals poo poo can gently caress off
Ori & the Will of the Wisps - first game was really good, probably will get a release date at Microsoft's event
Psychonauts 2 - doublefine's been very careful this time not to gently caress up massively on this one, but they still have plenty of time to run out of money
Shantae 5 - wayforward are horny as poo poo
Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake - it looks cute
The Surge 2 - this dev made a big leap from lords of the fallen to the surge, so the surge 2 might actually be a good one if it's a similar leap
Trine 4
Anthem haha just kidding it's dead
Halo Infinite - I would put a lot of money on this being Microsoft's answer to Destiny, the 'infinite' in the title just screams "games as a service" at the top of its lungs
The Outer Worlds - not to be confused with The Outer Wilds which is apparently very good, this is Obsidian doing Not-Fallout, so it could be okay but Obsidian is as up and down as they come

Games that COULD show up:
Stormdivers - Housemarque's battle royale game that will be DOA and likely kill the company oops. would probably show up at PC Gaming Show
Town - Game Freak's incredibly-titled non-Pokemon game for Switch
Twin Mirror - Dontnod's next adventure series after Life is Strange 2
Wasteland 3 - Did people even like Wasteland 2
Untitled Goose Game - you are a goose
Session - A skateboarding game that everyone thought was going to be Skate when it was shown off at an event last year, and that's mostly what people remember is that it wasn't Skate
Oninaki - Tokyo RPG Factory's latest disappointment
Battletoads - Assuming this isn't vaporware it might show up at Microsoft's event
Detective Pikachu 2 - Was announced last week, may be too early to be shown at Nintendo's event
Freedom Planet 2 - Sequel to the Genesis-style furry platformer that everyone enjoyed while simultaneously skipping any and all cutscenes. Would show up at the PC Gaming Show
The Evil Within 3 - Shinji Mikami tweeted that he'll be going to E3 on business, and Bethesda really doesn't have a lot known about their reveals, so this seems very likely, even though the first two games did not sell super well

(i'm sure someone will post that time grid on the first page, I'm too lazy)

Pokemon Direct: Wednesday, June 5th - 9 AM ET - If you actually have normal waking hours then you'll get a chance to see more details about Game Freak's latest unoptimized engine and a bunch of new pokemon you'll catch but never actually use
Google Stadia: Thursday, June 6 - 12:00 PM ET - The streaming service is supposed to have a couple of exclusive games but my guess is they'll be timed
Destiny 2 DLC Announcement: Thursday, June 6 - 1PM ET - It looks like Destiny 3 is still a year away, so they're putting out another expansion to their golden goose, which is maybe a decent proposition, because D2 was really awful at launch so D3 certainly would suck at launch too. may as well ride D2 into the toilet.
Microsoft: Sunday, June 9 - 4:00 PM ET. - A lot of stuff expected from this one, possibly the next Xbox reveal, talk about cloud streaming, 14 first-party game announcements expected, and probably one of them is the Cuphead DLC. but it's still xbox exclusives so like.... remember that gears funkopop game?
Bethesda: Sunday, June 9 - 8:30 PM ET. - No Starfield or Elder Scrolls at this one, which leaves Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein Youngblood, and their GAAS (ESO, FO76, Quake Champions), and that's it? Will this be a short one then?
Devolver Digital: Sunday, June 9 - 10:00 PM ET. - The first year of devolver was pretty sick, and had random lucha wrestling. the second year felt like a retread. dunno what they'll do this time, but they always have some dope games
PC Gaming Show: Monday, June 10 - 1:00 PM ET. - It's sponsored by Epic, so there's going to be a lot of Epic Store exclusives announced here
Ubisoft: Monday, June 10 - 4:00 PM ET. - there's Watch Dogs 3 in London, probably some Assassins Creed Odyssey DLC, maybe another Nintendo collab, and that ship combat game that still isn't out??
Square Enix: Monday, June 10 - 9:00 PM ET. - FF7 remake! is barrett black or tan?? is the dress blue or gold??
Nintendo: Tuesday, June 11 - 12:00 PM ET. - Everyone's watching this one for Animal Crossing.. it'll probably be identical to New Leaf but in HD

You watch it on Twitch, we know this already, you know this already. someone will post links. gently caress

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i expect this to be a relatively lower-frequency post thread from past years so i might post cool trailers from games that look neat when they pop up on youtube. usually e3 trailers for smaller games start going up the week before, so just a couple of days from now basically

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh i did forget one major game. Halo Infinite. is it a battle royale, is it a Destiny knockoff (this seems most likely), is it a funkopop game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

its probably going to be more than 30 seconds of animal crossing because nintendo already isolated pokemon to its own pre-E3 event (see OP schedule) and the only other games they have are luigi's mansion 3, fire emblem, rear end chain, and the links awakening remake

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

not seeing it in the op but there's also a nintendo direct the 11th
fixed, and also added some games that MIGHT show up at E3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Banners going up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think it's going to be a given that at least 75% of what will be in the PC Gaming Show will be on Epic Store, either exclusively or alongside Steam

they probably will give away a big name game too

if xbox game pass on PC is close enough to how it is on console, though, you can just go that route to get some of the games while they're still in EGS exclusivity. outer wilds is on the xbox version of game pass, for example

until e3 though, pc game pass is limited to play anywhere titles, which appear to be: Forza 4, Sea of Thieves, Gears 4, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Halo Wars 2, Zoo Tycoon, We Happy Few, Super Lucky's Tale, Snake Pass, Wargroove, Operencia, MvCI

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 3, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people can fly's new game?
https://twitter.com/Outriders/status/1135569328982581249

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the game is called outriders, not cryostasis

not that it matters because outriders is an 'in one ear, out the other' kind of name, because game devs are loving horrible at naming new IPs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like i know that game names are focus tested or whatever, but they should seriously hire an indie developer just for the purpose of coming up with a name, because indie games are very good at naming themselves, while AAA games come up with inspired titles like "Anthem" and "Control" and "Town" (literally the name of Game Freak's new IP)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Policenaut posted:

It's E3 season, and you know what that means...

Ubisoft leaking their poo poo early.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1135687178955235331
david cage's Omikron let you do this too so that's not an indication of greatness

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wolf 2 was actually good except for the lack of a final boss

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i loving love that EA's big media day concludes with

uhhh do you.. do you guys like sims 4? uhh we're just gonna play it for an hour i guess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm realizing Rocksteady not being at E3 doesn't mean a whole lot, Microsoft can just show a trailer for their new game at their event, Rocksteady doesn't have to be in person to press play on a video

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they'll probably put Anthem in the EA Access program for all users.. they're also supposed to be launching EA Access on PS4 in July and I bet Anthem will show up there too

so that they can inflate their player numbers

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i bet you just have guns and it's literally just The Division but superheroes are flying around in the sky

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

marvel is stupid but even they're not stupid enough to greenlight a game where you don't actually play as any of the superheroes
i think they're stupid enough

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as long as you don't mind it being only on Epic store

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thats good because I'm sick of having to have double the amount of free space just to patch D2 on my PS4. so i'm fine with playing on pc instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TinyBuild's E3 reveal is a Soulslike: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068600/Waking/

It's for Steam/Xbox/Discord, not PS4, so it will likely have a trailer at Microsoft's event.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1137027628840304645

geoff continues to invite the Both Sides Man to his e3 coverage

well to be fair it's not "both sides" so much as "anita sarkeesian caused the charlottesville murder"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

seeing a generic buzz cut white dude on a box gets me so hyphy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

did the box art people look at version 1.0 of deus ex human revolution and think "oh, what people like about cyberpunk is the yellow...."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

EA isnt doing a press conference, theyre just doing a livestream, and half of it is existing poo poo like FIFA and The Sims 4. literally the final thing on the stream is a half hour of Sims 4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

usually splatoon 2 has a content announcement after the tournament, i can't imagine the game is near EOL support yet so i would assume they'd reveal at least a new/returning map

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean they're ending the splatfests soon right?
it's still the closest thing they have to GAAS and i dunno that they'd release two splatoon games on the same system

even if the splatfests end they can still release new content/clothes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gg, boyz

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

seriously ggboyz and ftwin sound like fake team names from an Ubisoft gameplay "banter" trailer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

marina is lawful neutral

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so are they really going to do splatoon 3 next year then? that's so weird, i feel like they could've supported 2 for the switch's whole lifespan but they also didn't riddle the game with microtransactions so i guess they need to reboot it every couple of years

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

his coconut gun can fire in spurts

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

items: LOW

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

smash esports does not get me hyphy..

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am concerned that the announcing booth has not put clothespins on their noses yet, i'm concerned for their safety

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rarity posted:

Somebody explain how this game works I do not understand
first, don't shower for 3 months, then, blast yourself with axe body spray, and buy a gamecube controller adapter so that you're a Real smash gamer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as far as reveals here, a couple of smash tourneys ended with no reveal iirc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

joker sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the problem with fire emblem maps is they never have units moving around in turns

there should be a flying horserider and just flies in and spears ppl

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also why isn't there an advance wars map or characters in smash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

actually the smash music for the tourney should be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tptx8boeGhE&t=16s